Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OuijaApologist

WG has a problem: how to obtain the data to balance tier 6 and below commander skills

22 comments in this topic

Members
563 posts

After running players off from lower tier gameplay (tier 6 and below)  with nearly constant double CV matches while also showing less than zero interest in low tier events, how will WG get the data for the almighty spreadsheet?

The previous fun-equals-bad 19 point commander skills had lower tier stats that were separated from higher tiers beginning at tier 7 however, bots fill slots on tier 6 and below random matches due to years of WG's neglect and disregard towards anything not high tier.

The trickle of data gleaned from the limited amount of low tier masochists and seal clubbers will no doubt be insufficient for balance purposes.  

Seems the proverbial chickens have come home to roost.

Edited by OuijaApologist
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NONE]
Members
3,765 posts

Why would they worry about balancing data from a tier range they don't care about?

Don't get me wrong, low to mid tier ships are some of my historic and aesthetic favorites. It's just that I long ago realized that WG just doesn't give a flying flock about those tiers.

[KWF]
Members
5,606 posts
6,914 battles

Who would have thought that making the progress to tier V-VI increasingly easier while showering people with economic signals would turn these tiers into ghost towns :Smile_hiding:.

But yeah, come get your tiers Xs everyone!

Members
485 posts
2,878 battles

I jumped into my Exeter at 2:30 PM yesterday and got bots. So, yeah, not great. I would love to see the stats on how often tier 6s now get to be top tier with no bots involved.

Members
563 posts
2 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

I jumped into my Exeter at 2:30 PM yesterday and got bots. So, yeah, not great. I would love to see the stats on how often tier 6s now get to be top tier with no bots involved.

The way things are headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see bots in tier 7 randoms after the dockyard event is over with. 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,318 posts
13,117 battles
6 hours ago, OuijaApologist said:

bots fill slots on tier 6 and below random matches due to

....neglect for the mindset of a new player. amongst many reasons.. I attempted to recruit friends, after a few games... "you want me to grind how much?.... just to be on equal footing?" I had 1 friend spend $200 really quickly, just to expedite the grind (WG salivates) He earned his T10, and bought a tirpitz and then the vail was lifted. $200 in, and it was no more fun for him at higher levels.

I'm still here because I run a clan. and I like that clan. it took 3 years to set up and the players surrounding me make this game fun. but, a new player..... with only the game and the grind in front of them... good luck keeping them in the game.   

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
9 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

The way things are headed, I wouldn't be surprised to see bots in tier 7 randoms after the dockyard event is over with. 

TBH, if something isn't done about the Deadeye situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see mid-tiers taking players from high tiers.

In playing since the rework, I've found the gameplay less affected than at high tiers. I can't be the only one.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,685 posts
5,279 battles

Oh my, the bots are already at T6, really? Is this fake news? I hope it is...

Members
563 posts
5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I don't think there are all tier 6 matches with bots yet. I could be wrong since it's not very often that you get a straight tier 6 match however, the tier 5 bots end up in tier 6 matches. 

Edited by OuijaApologist

Members
485 posts
2,878 battles
9 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Yes, the decay could certainly climb up the tiers, as folks tire of being at the bottom of the roster over and over. Players that can't or won't move up will leave. But at least tier 7 ships can pull from a full 5-tier range (5-9) to find opponents. Tier 5/6 players (like purchasers of the new Mysore) have only a 4-tier range.

[SALVO]
Members
6,685 posts
5,279 battles
Just now, OuijaApologist said:

I don't think there are all tier 6 matches with bots yet. I could be wrong since it's not very often that you get a straight tier 6 match however, the tier 5 bots place bots in tier 6 matches. 

Oh ok, the tide is at T5 atm then

[SALVO]
Members
3,024 posts
7,027 battles
3 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Who would have thought that making the progress to tier V-VI increasingly easier while showering people with economic signals would turn these tiers into ghost towns :Smile_hiding:.

But yeah, come get your tiers Xs everyone!

I completely disagree that a " flood of signals"  is the cause of this. That's a bunch of B S .  Its years of neglect and CVs driving people up the tiers.  WG quite frankly doesn't hand out a "flood of signals" to new accounts.   The only way new accounts get a ton of econ signals is through spending cash. 

Edited by eviltane

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
Just now, eviltane said:

I completely disagree that a flood of signals is the cause of this.  Its years of neglect and CVs driving people up the tiers.  WG quite frankly doesn't hand out a "flood of signals" to new accounts. 

I'd have to agree. Signals are a factor in the fast advancement, but only after you've taken your first line up to mid tiers.

Members
563 posts
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'd have to agree. Signals are a factor in the fast advancement, but only after you've taken your first line up to mid tiers.

Based on other players I have spoke with plus my own personal experience, low and mid tiers are avoided primarily due to double CV matches. The second reason is because anything below tier 4 doesn't count toward missions. Never heard because WG gave me too many flags. 

If the gameplay is fun at a tier, people will play it. Tier 5 and below is not fun unless you like getting bombed with no way to fight back. 

Edited by OuijaApologist

[SALVO]
Members
3,024 posts
7,027 battles
Just now, Skpstr said:

I  continue to disagree on there being to many econ signals at any point. Its one of the few saving graces that WG does give them out under some circumstances.  All this talk of there being too many econ signals and too much gold or xp sitting around is one the reasons why WG feels its justified to really crank up the grind on stuff like captain XP and the research bureau. 

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
1 minute ago, OuijaApologist said:

Based on other players I have spoke with plus my own personal experience, low and mid tiers are avoided primarily due to double CV matches. The second reason is because anything below tier 4 doesn't count toward missions. Never heard because WG gave me too many flags. 

If the gameplay is fun at a tier, people will play it. Tier 5 and below is not fun unless you like getting bombed with no way to fight back. 

I agree with what you have said, but I was talking mid tiers, which is 5-7. I did notice several 2 CV games playing T5 ships, but none when playing T6&7.

Members
563 posts
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I agree with what you have said, but I was talking mid tiers, which is 5-7. I did notice several 2 CV games playing T5 ships, but none when playing T6&7.

I included tier 6 since that's the line where the old 19 point commander skills were balanced for low tiers. 

Edited by OuijaApologist

[SALVO]
Members
3,024 posts
7,027 battles
3 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

This!  It used to be fun to go down to those tiers  but just like you said.  Missions aren't allowed below T5 and when you do play its double CV 8 outa 10 times.

2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I was playing a fair bit T6 and T7 when clan mates took me there for snowflakes.

T6 I saw plenty of 2 CV matches  mind not as often as I saw them at T4.  T7 has been squeezed harder ever since T8 got the MM tier distribution tweak.  Before then people would often say T7 was their favorite tier. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,306 posts

I simply don't play lower tiers. I would if I needed to. I probably have 50 or less games in anything below T5.

I remembered the lower tiers being a extreme painful grind years ago and have nothing that can be discovered or made new or attractive again in those lower tiers. Particularly with the historically CRAPPY air defense against up to two carriers.

Ive been known to play lower tiers when it suits me (Missions etc) but that is essentially clubbing newbie seals and moving on once the mission is finished. I don't make a habit of it.

Seeing lower tier ships tells me I have a chance to collect the crits needed to finish a stage of dockyard. AP UP!

As far as carriers, when they show up I just get sunk and thats that. Move on to the next map without them. I don't spend much time worrying about them. IF at all.

Edited by xHeavy

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

I  continue to disagree on there being to many econ signals at any point. Its one of the few saving graces that WG does give them out under some circumstances.  All this talk of there being too many econ signals and too much gold or xp sitting around is one the reasons why WG feels its justified to really crank up the grind on stuff like captain XP and the research bureau. 

All I know is that it took me a few weeks to grind Hindy from Roon 3 years ago, with just premium, and in the last few weeks, it took me less than a day each for DD grinds in tiers 7-9.

And that's after burning all my econ signals to amass FXP and ECXP before Christmas.

Basically, it depends how much you play every day. When I was working full time before COVID, at 4-5 games a day, my signal surplus only went up, just from freebies.

[WOLF7]
Members
837 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

All of us PVE players are doing our best to stem the toaster invasion. Looks like they are invading other game modes now. Would you like to know more?

Im doing my part!: Movies, Starship Troopers, Wholesome, Helping, Woman,  Soldier, Military : FreshMemeTemplates

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,685 posts
5,279 battles
6 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

All of us PVE players are doing our best to stem the toaster invasion. Looks like they are invading other game modes now. Would you like to know more?

Im doing my part!: Movies, Starship Troopers, Wholesome, Helping, Woman,  Soldier, Military : FreshMemeTemplates

man, you just made my day with that... :Smile_veryhappy:

Sign in to follow this