You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mailman653

Interceptors and you.

14 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
[TF16B]
Modder
675 posts
846 battles

Anyone try a full interceptor build yet? Or partial interceptors?

I'm tempted to experiment on one of my CV's, eying the Kaga for the experiment.

[PISD]
Members
1,816 posts
6,006 battles

Did try it with MVR yesterday. Didn’t went well.

[CS7]
Members
287 posts
4,900 battles

I took all the fighter skills on a spare 19 point USN captain that was freed up after the rework.  I tried this on one battle in random, and we won, but I don't think it is optimum for random battles.  The shortened duration on the fighters means all you do is race around replacing them to cover your team, even with the consumable mod in slot 5.  It would work better for competitive modes I think.  I'm going to give it a shot in the last ranked sprint this week.  I'm not sold on the interceptors, yet, but I like the other skills and will probably work the 1 and 2 pointer into all of my CV captain skill sets.  Enhanced Reactions would be a great 2 or even 3 point skill, but the shortening of the patrol time makes it hard to justify for 4 points.  I'll continue to expirement with it though since I have to luxury of a spare 19 pointer.

Members
3,966 posts
43,500 battles

The drawback is that they intercept the bombers only. They don't attack fighters. Fighters ignore them. And interceptors can't spot. 

It is more off a hard counter from a strike CV. A strike CV is one that has a lot of bombers and can easily attack the fleet with impunity and with few losses and interceptors is the only way to stop that type of CV.

But that means your CV is now defense rather than support or strike.

It can't support in spots unless it attacks. when it stops attacking, then it stops spotting. dropping interceptors won't spot. If you have fighters, you can drop those and they do spot some. So long as they don't get shot down by ships.

Defense is simply you are covering the force as a cover air patrol only and strike only when you sufficiently stopped enough of the strike CVs bombers that you can now attack yourself. That means late game only.

The interceptor role is ideal on certain CVs because it replaces fighters on a plane for plane basis. 

The only CV I know of to my knowledge that this role would be deadly against CVs like MVR, FDR, or even any high load CV is Enterprise.

Because Enterprise drops the largest amount of fighters. So interceptor would be perfect and Enterprise can be CAP(Cover Air patrol) of the fleet and only strike when opportunity presents itself. 

It can spot, but will need to be careful in its cover air patrol as it can not fly off far. It will have to recall attacks if the main force is under attack by CV bombers. 

Now newer CVs I have not seen their complete specifications, but just look at the rocket plane fighter consumable and bomber fighter consumable to reference how many fighters are dropped. that will tell you how many interceptors are dropped. There are skills that will enhance this further too. 

Bear in mind, this was tested in PT server and as meh as it has turned out so far(I am not using it), I am not sure it will stay to be honest. 

Like most of these skills, they are far from perfect and will need tweaking or adjusting depending on the extinction rate of certain ship types in battles etc. LOL

Dead eye for instance. I felt dirty God Fingering a DM from across the galaxy in my Vermont in Randoms. Even red was like ooohhh ahhh, but my team was like ewwwww! I never saw what the DM player said in game chat , but he was red. But they are likely upset because they were behind an island but so darn far away that the arc was a beautiful thing to watch. 

I put my golf driver away after that. And then I took a shower. 

Good luck on trying it and let me know what you discover. I am curious myself. 

But if it starts to suck, just make sure you change it back before the free period. 

Have fun out there.

[CS7]
Members
287 posts
4,900 battles
22 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Worked decently in ranked battles with a smaller number of ships to protect.  You can shut down the opposing CV if you focus on dropping where he is headed.  They can get a strike thru if you drop too late as the warm up is still about the same, but even then they will often lose part of their flight before they recall.  It definitely has potential, but I would really like to see the reduction in patrol time of the 4 point Enhanced Reactions skill toned down or eliminated.  Four point skills shouldn't reduce your patrol time by 25% and partially defeat the purpose of building a dedicated captain for defense/support.  

Edited by Maddau

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
166 posts
3,574 battles
On 1/25/2021 at 8:41 PM, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Dead eye for instance. I felt dirty God Fingering a DM from across the galaxy in my Vermont in Randoms. Even red was like ooohhh ahhh, but my team was like ewwwww! I never saw what the DM player said in game chat , but he was red. But they are likely upset because they were behind an island but so darn far away that the arc was a beautiful thing to watch. 

This moment has been an absolute blast in my Minotaur. I drive out, get plane spotted, then take 90% of my health in damage. A true joy to experience.  ;)

Luckily, it's not been too common, but more frequent after the change, for me, at least.   

With Dead Eye around, Incoming Fire Alert is now required for no-armor CLs, imo. In the past, I would run with or without it, depending on my build, available points, etc, since I knew when shells were likely coming anyway a majority of the time. Priority Target was fine. Now, I just sometimes suddenly get blapped for a huge chunk of health if I don't have IFA. At least it's a cheap skill. 

Members
3,966 posts
43,500 battles
5 hours ago, SonicAnatidae said:

This moment has been an absolute blast in my Minotaur. I drive out, get plane spotted, then take 90% of my health in damage. A true joy to experience.  ;)

Luckily, it's not been too common, but more frequent after the change, for me, at least.   

With Dead Eye around, Incoming Fire Alert is now required for no-armor CLs, imo. In the past, I would run with or without it, depending on my build, available points, etc, since I knew when shells were likely coming anyway a majority of the time. Priority Target was fine. Now, I just sometimes suddenly get blapped for a huge chunk of health if I don't have IFA. At least it's a cheap skill. 

I removed it on all my BBs because it can be easily broken. I was able to do it successfully in a DD for some battles. And since I could do that, it seems a waste of 4 points at what by most accounts is a lucky shot that I usually would make on some odd occasion without dead eye. And after seeing the sudden absence of cruisers in matches, I thought cruiser players went extinct. 

It didn't seem fair. 

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,559 posts
On 1/25/2021 at 7:36 PM, Mailman653 said:

Anyone try a full interceptor build yet? Or partial interceptors?

I'm tempted to experiment on one of my CV's, eying the Kaga for the experiment.

There are so many things to take that i am not sold on interceptor.

It seems like you spend all game not striking but stopping him.

[SGSS]
Members
5,559 posts
On 1/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I removed it on all my BBs because it can be easily broken. I was able to do it successfully in a DD for some battles. And since I could do that, it seems a waste of 4 points at what by most accounts is a lucky shot that I usually would make on some odd occasion without dead eye. And after seeing the sudden absence of cruisers in matches, I thought cruiser players went extinct. 

It didn't seem fair. 

As a cruiser player I love dead eye.  BB player do not take anti fire anymore.

I have gotten more BBQ awards lately than I have in a long time. 

Edited by jags_domain

[GRETA]
Members
1,356 posts
10,494 battles

Any kind of defensive build will largely get wasted in a random 12 v 12 format.  Random players are far too random and unpredictable.   I can however see how it could be very useful in cb.

[SGSS]
Members
5,559 posts
On 1/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

The drawback is that they intercept the bombers only. They don't attack fighters. Fighters ignore them. And interceptors can't spot. 

It is more off a hard counter from a strike CV. A strike CV is one that has a lot of bombers and can easily attack the fleet with impunity and with few losses and interceptors is the only way to stop that type of CV.

But that means your CV is now defense rather than support or strike.

It can't support in spots unless it attacks. when it stops attacking, then it stops spotting. dropping interceptors won't spot. If you have fighters, you can drop those and they do spot some. So long as they don't get shot down by ships.

Defense is simply you are covering the force as a cover air patrol only and strike only when you sufficiently stopped enough of the strike CVs bombers that you can now attack yourself. That means late game only.

The interceptor role is ideal on certain CVs because it replaces fighters on a plane for plane basis. 

The only CV I know of to my knowledge that this role would be deadly against CVs like MVR, FDR, or even any high load CV is Enterprise.

Because Enterprise drops the largest amount of fighters. So interceptor would be perfect and Enterprise can be CAP(Cover Air patrol) of the fleet and only strike when opportunity presents itself. 

It can spot, but will need to be careful in its cover air patrol as it can not fly off far. It will have to recall attacks if the main force is under attack by CV bombers. 

Now newer CVs I have not seen their complete specifications, but just look at the rocket plane fighter consumable and bomber fighter consumable to reference how many fighters are dropped. that will tell you how many interceptors are dropped. There are skills that will enhance this further too. 

Bear in mind, this was tested in PT server and as meh as it has turned out so far(I am not using it), I am not sure it will stay to be honest. 

Like most of these skills, they are far from perfect and will need tweaking or adjusting depending on the extinction rate of certain ship types in battles etc. LOL

I put my golf driver away after that. And then I took a shower. 

But if it starts to suck, just make sure you change it back before the free period. 

Have fun out there.

I am at T8 no dead eye and got 3 cits on a Yorck and it went boom at 21.5

Was amazing.

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,053 posts
13,554 battles
On 1/30/2021 at 2:11 AM, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

(Pun intended, kudos if u spot the other pun.)

If I Reddit right.....