You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
commando_brian

Mysore..wheres her Indian commander?

32 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
19,557 battles

I purchased the Mysore this morning and so far I've enjoyed the ship but, something is missing, her proper captain. 

By 1957 the days of British Captain's commanding Indian Navy ships were over.

How about some proper representation. 

Edited by commando_brian
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[MUG-T]
Members
239 posts
3,727 battles

Meanwhile all the Chinese and Swedish ships making up the majority of the Pan Asian and Pan European lines crying in the corner

[TWE]
Beta Testers
244 posts
1,573 battles
15 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

here's another question, where are the torps?

This is the fiji class loadout:

image.png.3d6b87c1ac7382ebe2b2aa50f12370c0.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji-class_cruiser

This is the MySore (Specific):

image.png.983899c3435fad9b14dff4a5fb17c13f.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Nigeria_(60)

And what WG did:

image.png.9e10a53d3d319485ada361f03a609cd7.png

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Mysore

Yeah no. There's a reason for that: 

https://www.navypedia.org/ships/india/in_cr_mysore.htm

Capture.PNG

• Cool 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
On 1/25/2021 at 10:24 PM, Laser_Beam said:

This comes off as more than a little racist towards Indians and offensively stereotypical towards Australians.  I'd reconsider how you approach things.  To be blunt, suggesting that an ethnically Indian name and face is appropriate for the captain of an Indian navy ship is in no way comparable to asking for a fake Dingo captain for an Australian navy ship. 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, frankfletcher_1 said:

Meanwhile all the Chinese and Swedish ships making up the majority of the Pan Asian and Pan European lines crying in the corner

When you take a captain for a Chinese ship you get a Chinese name.  When you take a captain for a Swedish ship you get a Swedish name.  When you take a captain for a Polish ship you get a Polish name.  While I have not personally confirmed it, I believe that when you take a captain for a Dutch ship you get a Dutch name (I am sure @Lert would have raised a stink if that were not true), if you take a captain on a Korean ship you get a Korean name, if you take a captain on a Thai ship you get a Thai name and if you take a captain on an Indonesian ship you get an Indonesian name. 

It is not unreasonable to expect an Indian captain for an Indian ship.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,067 posts
20,775 battles
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

(I am sure @Lert would have raised a stink if that were not true)

You're not wrong.

4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Once again, you're not wrong.

• Cool 2

Members
657 posts
220 battles
5 hours ago, Helstrem said:

This comes off as more than a little racist towards Indians and offensively stereotypical towards Australians.  I'd reconsider how you approach things.  To be blunt, suggesting that an ethnically Indian name and face is appropriate for the captain of an Indian navy ship is in no way comparable to asking for a fake Dingo captain for an Australian navy ship. 

When you take a captain for a Chinese ship you get a Chinese name.  When you take a captain for a Swedish ship you get a Swedish name.  When you take a captain for a Polish ship you get a Polish name.  While I have not personally confirmed it, I believe that when you take a captain for a Dutch ship you get a Dutch name (I am sure @Lert would have raised a stink if that were not true), if you take a captain on a Korean ship you get a Korean name, if you take a captain on a Thai ship you get a Thai name and if you take a captain on an Indonesian ship you get an Indonesian name. 

For your comment about racism.  Let me be clear:

There are 53 Commonwealth countries.  Grats on being 3rd.  That is a big achievement.  Grats.  There are still 50 Commonwealth nations waiting for representation.  So yes, I'll stick to my original comment.  Be thankful India got added... 50 didn't.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,639 posts
25,100 battles

What the game needs is proper Captain optimization options. The ability to change potraits (post purchase) and name would be a huge help for everyone. We should have a wide variety of pictures to choose from, not just the 6 (?) we have per nation now. Since only the player sees this stuff, it shouldn't be a problem with people naming their captains something like Dezz Nutts or similar. The lack of character customization is really appaling for a 21st century game. 

• Cool 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
49 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

For your comment about racism.  Let me be clear:

There are 53 Commonwealth countries.  Grats on being 3rd.  That is a big achievement.  Grats.  There are still 50 Commonwealth nations waiting for representation.  So yes, I'll stick to my original comment.  Be thankful India got added... 50 didn't.

Most never had ships to be viable to be added.

Even that is beside the point.  Your reaction is inappropriate to the request.  It is a harmless request requiring very little effort on WG's part and you reacted like it was extravagant.

Ship captain names and portraits should be appropriate to their navies.  Up to now WG has been pretty good about that and asking them to maintain it for India is utterly reasonable.  Should other Commonwealth nations be added the same is true, but until they are their cultural names aren't relevant.  Until today, India's weren't relevant either, but now they are.

*I am not Indian.  I am American, my ancestry is Finnish.

• Thanks 2

Members
657 posts
220 battles
23 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Most never had ships to be viable to be added.

Even that is beside the point.  Your reaction is inappropriate to the request.  It is a harmless request requiring very little effort on WG's part and you reacted like it was extravagant.

Ship captain names and portraits should be appropriate to their navies.  Up to now WG has been pretty good about that and asking them to maintain it for India is utterly reasonable.  Should other Commonwealth nations be added the same is true, but until they are their cultural names aren't relevant.  Until today, India's weren't relevant either, but now they are.

*I am not Indian.  I am American, my ancestry is Finnish.

Please excuse me if I'm exaggerating here when I say NO-ONE...

2016 Perth added.  has British commander, no-one says anything

2017 Vampire added.  Has British commander, no-one says anything

2018 Haida added.  Has British commander, no-one says anything

2021 Mysore added.  1st day.....  Why does this have a British commander?

IMHO this post should have started with the addition of HMAS Perth.  Why suddenly choose now to get amendments to the Commonwealth line?  My take on this is that you and the OP are OK with misrepresentation with the commonwealth line and suddenly jump up and down and then throw around the 'racist' tag.

My point if it wasn't clear enough, The commanders for the line didn't change with the addition of Australia and Canada.  Changing the commander(s) for Mysore and not for the other two Countries/Nations really will be racist.

• Cool 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
6 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

IMHO this post should have started with the addition of HMAS Perth.  Why suddenly choose now to get amendments to the Commonwealth line?  My take on this is that you and the OP are OK with misrepresentation with the commonwealth line and suddenly jump up and down and then throw around the 'racist' tag.

My point if it wasn't clear enough, The commanders for the line didn't change with the addition of Australia and Canada.  Changing the commander(s) for Mysore and not for the other two Countries/Nations really will be racist.

Perhaps you might explain what the difference in name or portrait we could expect from a British, Canadian or Australian captain? Nobody is asking for Hindi voice lines.

Edited by Helstrem

[DVYJC]
Members
3,809 posts
9,449 battles
13 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

I think this is misplaced reasoning. A better comparison is the Pan-European or Pan-Asian lines, which are the other two minor trees. If you buy Blyskawica, the default captain name is Polish. If you buy Friesland, it's Dutch. If you buy Smaland, it's Swedish. If you buy Huanghe or Loyang, the captains will have Chinese names, since the PRC and ROC speak the same language. If you buy Chung Mu, the captain will have a Korean name.

The obvious reason your example is not comparable is because Canada and Australia are English-speaking countries where names are quite reasonably similar.

Not having default Indian names for Mysore captains is actually the aberration here.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
19,557 battles
5 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Up until the end World War II British officers could transfer to any Commonwealth Navy and the officer corp was also predominantly Caucasian.  The Mysore was transferred to the Indian Navy in the 1950s, there were no British Commanders commanding Indian ships after 1947.

..and players have asked for the Commonwealth commanders images to be different than than the British Commanders images 

Edited by commando_brian

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
19,557 battles
6 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Please re-read my statement. 

I did.. it seems you're rather oblivious to the history of the Commonwealth 

[VVV]
Members
2,798 posts
5,065 battles
9 hours ago, commando_brian said:

Up until the end World War II British officers could transfer to any Commonwealth Navy and the officer corp was also predominantly Caucasian.  The Mysore was transferred to the Indian Navy in the 1950s, there were no British Commanders commanding Indian ships after 1947.

..and players have asked for the Commonwealth commanders images to be different than than the British Commanders images 

Not to mention, the majority of the populations of Australia and Canada are Caucasian. They're largely the descendants of English, Scottish and Irish immigrants. As such, they tend to look similar and have similar names to British people.

None of which can be said of the vast majority of Indians.

• Cool 1

Members
657 posts
220 battles
17 hours ago, commando_brian said:

FTFY (unlike you, I left out the insult here).  

Sold - not transferred.

image.png.9fec3db016a11d4427260dc9fc694517.png

:Smile_glasses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji-class_cruiser

Edited by Laser_Beam
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
19,557 battles
4 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

FTFY (unlike you, I left out the insult here).  

Sold - not transferred.

image.png.9fec3db016a11d4427260dc9fc694517.png

Wrong ship, try agian

Members
657 posts
220 battles
6 minutes ago, commando_brian said:

Wrong ship, try agian

Given that wiki is prone to errors....

and given the choice of 2 ships..

Sold in 1954, commissioned as INS Mysore in 1957,   what is not right?

image.png.46ee5bbe87921da701dc0e05abc5f43d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Mysore

I figure I'm still right.... so HAHAHHAHAHAAHAHA    :cap_haloween:  

PS - If you're gonna call out someone on the facts provided.  Be an adult and provide a link.  (a pro tip for next time you get the courage to post - You're welcome)

And from WOWS:

image.png.1aab7e85d9a55268671800604517ec00.png

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Mysore

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,020 battles
On 1/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, Helstrem said:

offensively stereotypical towards Australians

Any Aussie worth his salt would have a laugh at this, and any "Aussie" who is so hypersensitive as to be offended should consider moving somewhere else.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:27 AM, Laser_Beam said:

Are you so sure that they are British? You can tell by their names and faces that they're not Australian or Canadian? Horseship.

Mysore does need an Indian captain, though.

• Cool 2

[MUG-T]
Members
239 posts
3,727 battles
On 1/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, Helstrem said:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you meant Indian voiceovers

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
1 hour ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you meant Indian voiceovers

Voiceovers are the province of major navies, at least thus far, so I would see a request for a Hindi language voiceover as unreasonable.

[PVE]
Members
507 posts
19,557 battles
1 hour ago, Laser_Beam said:

You have it all wrong (again or still, doesn't matter).  I educated you.  You had no idea and called the facts provided wrong.  

Sorry, Wargaming,Wiki, and I have it right, the ship that Wargaming has released in game is the /Nigeria Mysore  as described 

Members
174 posts
71 battles
4 hours ago, commando_brian said:

Sorry, Wargaming,Wiki, and I have it right, the ship that Wargaming has released in game is the /Nigeria Mysore  as described 

So this wasn't you?

image.png.9c861ca5ce1598919ef5fe6fc21aeadb.png

Clearly, it was.

6 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Asking for equality is not racist.

Agree Asking for equality is not racist.  

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,639 posts
25,100 battles

This conversation is going no where quickly. @Hapa_Fodder needs to take a look at this mess and end it.

• Cool 2