You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
homegrown_cowboy

Torpedo range and Detectability: V Acasta

5 comments in this topic

[NA-WD]
Members
39 posts
7,209 battles

Is Acasta the only ship in the game whose torpedo range is less than it's detectability range?

Acasta used to be one of the best British Destroyers and I think was once one of the best in the tier. In fact, with all my British DDs I used to get ~50% hits/torps fired. That has fallen to something like 1 hit per hundred torps fired, and now virtually every time I shoot torps my ship is destroyed, either by massive crossfire or by secondaries.

Obviously, something has been quite severely nerfed.

Ships using the Priority Target skill are almost impossible to hit with torpedos at any range beyond 2-3 Km. I have watched through binoculars and many, many times have seen ships change course or speed within seconds of launching torps. I thought at first this was co-incidence or the torpedo aiming guide had been nerfed to uselessness. It's not, it's ships using priority target to detect torpedo launches when the number of ships aiming at them changes -1 and back. Virtually impossible to hit any ship using Priority Target beyond 2-3 Km range, which ensures the destruction usually of my DDs

Always detected and often destroyed every time torpedos are fired.

This applies not only to Acasta but to all my British DDs up to tier IX.

Why make British destroyers so useless by handicapping them so severely? As far as I know, other DDs are able to launch torpedos at ships that are at ranges considerably less than their maximum torpedo range without being detected. Is it because before the last two updates I was sinking too many battleships and carriers, which I used to be able to do quite easily to ships that were alone. NB: In one of my best ranked battles last year I sank 4/7 enemy ships. Mostly island campers sunk with torps.

5 hits/torpdeos fired.

Acasta.jpg

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,225 posts
15,921 battles

There other DDs with torp range less than conceal, all below T5.  You must be missing something, did a quick check with 10 point captain and w out camo, but w concealment and your just under 6km  ( think you have not put your captain skills on, as you still show having 11 skill points available.)

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSD105&modules=11111&upgrades=324000&commander=PCW001&skills=4202656&consumables=11&pos=0

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,744 posts
12,356 battles

There's also DDs with less torp range than conceal above T5. Paolo Emilio and Khabarovsk at all concealments, default Kleber and Mogador, to name a few.

[NA-WD]
Members
39 posts
7,209 battles
5 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

There other DDs with torp range less than conceal, all below T5.  You must be missing something, did a quick check with 10 point captain and w out camo, but w concealment and your just under 6km  ( think you have not put your captain skills on, as you still show having 11 skill points available.)

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSD105&modules=11111&upgrades=324000&commander=PCW001&skills=4202656&consumables=11&pos=0

Look at the Picture. Base torpedo range 6 Km, detectability range 6.8Km. With CE detectability range 6.2. Camo is irrelevant here this is not about using expendables it is about base out of the box ships, detection range and torpedo range.

For example:

V Mutsuki TR 8.0 Km concealment 6.2 Minekaze TR 7.0 CR 6.2 

Perhaps my question should be "Are Japanese ships the only destroyers that can launch torpedos at ships that are beyond their detectability range?"

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,744 posts
12,356 battles
4 minutes ago, homegrown_cowboy said:

Look at the Picture. Base torpedo range 6 Km, detectability range 6.8Km. With CE detectability range 6.2. Camo is irrelevant here this is not about using expendables it is about base out of the box ships, detection range and torpedo range.

For example:

V Mutsuki TR 8.0 Km concealment 6.2 Minekaze TR 7.0 CR 6.2  

Perhaps my question should be "Are Japanese ships the only destroyers that can launch torpedos at ships that are beyond their detectability range?" 

If we define targets as non-moving objects, then Japan, Germany, France, and Pan-European destroyers meet that statement.

However, if the enemy ship is approaching the Acasta at top speed, the Acasta gets a little less than 1km of stealth torpedo capability on an approaching target.

Edited by Compassghost