You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

Which mid-tier coal ship to buy first (2021)?

37 comments in this topic

Members
0 posts

Greetings!

What mid-tier (T5-T7) premium ship for coal would you buy first ? I.e. in your opinion, for a new player, what would be the best use of coal (and possibly coupon), and why?

My thinking: saving coal for T9-T10 ships is a long way, and by the time we get there a coupon can renew. Getting something in mid-tiers now might be a better idea. Besides, gameplay on higher tiers requires more skills and jumping right into the thick of it being a noob on a Thunderer would take away a lot of fun. Lower-tier premiums are a waste of coal because daily missions require at least T5. Which narrows selection down to ships between Flint and Marblehead.

In that range Anshan stands out giving more FXP than anything else, which would be nice to get early in the game to maximize the effect. But Anshan could probably be obtained for free by playing missions now (2021 Lunar New Year promo). So that should be something else then.

Your thoughts?

[FORM]
Members
2,121 posts
13,028 battles

Right now, with the skill rebork in mid rebork, who knows what the next few patch tweaks will bring.

Every bit for me is on hold til this silly tweak settles. No money, no coal, no steel, no doubloons, no happy meal toys... NADA!

Edited by TheArc
  • Cool 2

Members
173 posts
12,057 battles

I would suggest the Okt. Rev, as she is one of my favorite mid-low tier premiums. 

In my opinion, she's really good, some might say even a tad towards the OP side of things.
No one noticed this, because the ridiculous Gulio Cesare came out at the same time as the Okt. Rev. and completely overshadowed the ugly Russian battleship. 
Anshan is a great pick though, she's still a good ship, though getting old at this point.

Ships to steer clear of would include:

Blyskawica (not a terrible ship, but not worth the coal in my opinion)
Hill (not better than the T5 USN DD)
Marblehead (ever so slightly better Omaha, which is like a slightly less smelly pile of manure)
Yubari (just no)

Ships I'm ambivalent about:

Duke of York (better than most give her credit for, but still not good enough for me to recommend)
Flint (WAY too expensive and she's been nerfed by the skill rework, but she's still fun when top tier)
Kirov (honestly, I see no reason to get it, but she's not a bad ship)
Aigle (rather an odd ship with annoying turret angles but not bad)
Campbeltown & Charlestown (too low tier for me to care)

Ships I know nothing about:
Lazo (no clue if she's good, but due to the lack of buzz about her, I'm guessing she's not)

Edited by Rokkator
  • Cool 2

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,277 posts

I agree.

Every dollar is in a tight wallet. Not to be spent until this mess settles down. As in aint buying nothing right now.

I already bought the thunderer which is probably the winner of all my ships ever in almost 6 years here. Unfortunately for some the ship is a winner for the wrong reasons (Deadeye makes her a sniper) The Smaland was the most expensive ever. Total dollars sunk into that one is almost 330 US.

I do not buy ships in middle tiers too often, but I have been known to buy a premium or tech tree ship now and again in T6 on up. For either snowflake events, Operations or whatever it is. Its getting pretty crowded down in the T6 through T8 which is a good problem to have. I would be remiss if I did not praise WG for their outpouring of blessings in the crates that fielded most of these newer ships in the fleet in that tier range last year. It probably saved me thousands potentially.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
278 posts
58,242 battles
1 minute ago, Rokkator said:

Anshan is a great pick though, she's still a good ship, though getting old at this point.

+1 for the Anshan. Also, there is a good 10 pt Pan-Asian captain available for coal who has skills that are a good fit for the ship. I don't recall the exact cost ( I've had the ship & the captain for some time now ), but the captain is fairly cheap, so the total price should be well under 100k coal ( for both the ship and captain ). 

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
22,996 posts
17,021 battles

Anshan is the current Lunar New Year event prize. Win her, don't spend coal on her.

Ask yourself what nation you need it for, then look at what's available in that nation that you might like.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Members
278 posts
58,242 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Anshan is the current Lunar New Year event prize. Win her, don't spend coal on her.

Ask yourself what nation you need it for, then look at what's available in that nation that you might like.

Darn it, I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. 

So, yeah...wait to see if you can win the Anshan for free, and keep saving your coal. 

[SALVO]
Members
6,644 posts
5,255 battles
28 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Your thoughts?

Hi. I would buy a T6 or T7 because it could be used to run Operations. The options are not too varied, if you choose T6 that's Aigle as only candidate. If you go for T7, then the choice is which nation do you need the most and which type do you enjoy the most.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
193 posts
4,413 battles

I'd be interested in going for the Lazo primarily. I'm a big fan of spotter plane gunnery, and its special spotter plan consumable + build sounds like a fun time...extremely long range guns and soviet cruiser ballistics are both huge positives to me as well.

Members
0 posts
36 minutes ago, Rokkator said:

I would suggest the Okt. Rev, as she is one of my favorite mid-low tier premiums. 

In my opinion, she's really good, some might say even a tad towards the OP side of things.
No one noticed this, because the ridiculous Gulio Cesare came out at the same time as the Okt. Rev. and completely overshadowed the ugly Russian battleship. 

Marblehead (ever so slightly better Omaha, which is like a slightly less smelly pile of manure)
Yubari (just no)

Duke of York (better than most give her credit for, but still not good enough for me to recommend)
Flint (WAY too expensive and she's been nerfed by the skill rework, but she's still fun when top tier)

Lazo (no clue if she's good, but due to the lack of buzz about her, I'm guessing she's not)

Thank you!

I didn't think of Operations, that require T6+. So that kinda rules out Okt.Rev and other T5s and below. Maybe later, for collection, but as the first coal ship after reading the comments I'd rather go for something more versatile.

Flint is overpriced, for sure, and if I had so much coal I'd probably just keep saving for T9s/T10s that are getting almost in reach with such pile of coal.

With Anshan to be obtained by grinding Lunar NY missions all remaining options are:

Blyska, Aigle, Duke of York, Lazo.

Win rates on each of them are mediocre, so I suppose none of them would be a must-have ship. And that comes down really to a play style: cheap DDs for close-quarters "knife fight" that are rather difficult to play well, or more expensive RU CA or RN BB to spam HE from afar.

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
17,348 battles

If I were you I'd wait till they release the next batch of coal ships. 

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,798 posts
7,231 battles

I would think about what type of ship you like to play, BB, CA, DD ect. What nation do you have the most ships/captains. 

With the rework, you can play you present captains and train them for that type. A BB captain can be used in a DD, for example. 

Mid tier is a good place, though some nations do not have much choice, the Yuduchi for example. is not much of a choice though some say it's OK. Most ships in the armory seem to be tier 8 which may not be a good place to start.

Then check your picks in LittleWhiteMouse's reviews and maybe YouTube video reviews. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,446 posts
22,652 battles
1 hour ago, Rokkator said:

Yubari (just no)

Which one of these are coal ships???

[WOLF1]
Members
278 posts
58,242 battles
33 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Win rates on each of them are mediocre, so I suppose none of them would be a must-have ship. And that comes down really to a play style: cheap DDs for close-quarters "knife fight" that are rather difficult to play well, or more expensive RU CA or RN BB to spam HE from afar.

One more thing to consider is which tech tree lines you think you will be working on. Duke of York can serve as a training ship for British BB's. The same for Lazo and Russian cruisers. Anshan has normal torpedoes ( not the DWT found on most Pan-Asian DD's ) so its use as a trainer is a bit limited. The same is true for Aigle ( which has smoke ) and other French DD's ( which don't have smoke ). Be sure to think about how a ship is going to fit in with your future plans before you spend your hard-earned coal.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
Members
494 posts
11,733 battles
1 hour ago, Rokkator said:

Yubari (just no)

+1 for the okt. rev. And then get the gangut, and the Izmail for the whole family collection.

Members
0 posts
40 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I would think about what type of ship you like to play, BB, CA, DD ect. What nation do you have the most ships/captains. 

With the rework, you can play you present captains and train them for that type. A BB captain can be used in a DD, for example. 

Mid tier is a good place, though some nations do not have much choice, the Yuduchi for example. is not much of a choice though some say it's OK. Most ships in the armory seem to be tier 8 which may not be a good place to start.

Then check your picks in LittleWhiteMouse's reviews and maybe YouTube video reviews. 

That actually rings the bell.

Aigle, Anshan and Blyska might be fun, but they're sort of a dead end ships: as each of them differs in play style with the rest of the line training captains may acquire "non-transferrable skills". And I'm not a big fan of smokeless or deep water torp DDs. So these may not be the first choice.

Duke of York is second most expensive of T7 coal ships. But I was also eyeing Nelson for my first FXP premium. Which would give me 2 prem RN BBs an both at T7... wwwhich is probably more than I would like to have for diversity.

Lazo (according to other reviews) is more like a nerfed Chapayev. And it has its own rather unique play style. Spamming HE is not my favorite thing, but I know how annoying it is to be on receiving end. And I truly HATE tech tree US and RU cruisers that provide so little versatility in the game, so grinding these lines would not be fun for me. From the other hand, getting a rather mature representative of that playstyle by taking a coal shortcut and skipping tech tree CAs seems like a interesting idea.

Edited by The_Longest_Torpedo

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,574 battles
9 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Duke of York is second most expensive of T7 coal ships. But I was also eyeing Nelson for my first FXP premium. Which would give me 2 prem RN BBs an both at T7... wwwhich is probably more than I would like to have for diversity.

Narai is a T7 Operation, those BB's do well in it. DoY's hydro comes in real handy at times too, that would be two premium T7 BB's that you could run in that operation. 
Which would limit your down time or cost to repeat in a timely fashion.
Operations can be a low stress, high pay-out option to Randoms. And if you have at least 4 willing, you can do anytime.
You would be able to run a tech tree BB captain or any other tech tree captain on them in order to work off their retraining penalty if you moved a commander up a line.

I can understand your desire for diversity though. 
Just my 2 credits.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
2 hours ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Greetings!

What mid-tier (T5-T7) premium ship for coal would you buy first ? I.e. in your opinion, for a new player, what would be the best use of coal (and possibly coupon), and why?

My thinking: saving coal for T9-T10 ships is a long way, and by the time we get there a coupon can renew. Getting something in mid-tiers now might be a better idea. Besides, gameplay on higher tiers requires more skills and jumping right into the thick of it being a noob on a Thunderer would take away a lot of fun. Lower-tier premiums are a waste of coal because daily missions require at least T5. Which narrows selection down to ships between Flint and Marblehead.

In that range Anshan stands out giving more FXP than anything else, which would be nice to get early in the game to maximize the effect. But Anshan could probably be obtained for free by playing missions now (2021 Lunar New Year promo). So that should be something else then.

Your thoughts?

I would definitely work on the missions to get Anshan for free ... always better than spending a resource.  And you're right about FXP ... Anshan is the only ship I know of in the game whose permacamo gives a built-in FXP buff of 100%.  If you get her, you may also want to consider getting one of the Rong brothers in the Armory (I think one is available for coal).  That would provide synergy in going up the Pan Asian line with Anshan as a trainer.  And you'll get a buff to Survivability Expert (or whatever it's called now).  Note, Anshan does have really slow turret traverse for a DD.  

Also make sure to enter the Australian Day event for a chance to win a Perth (T6).  Odds will be terrible, but she's a fun little ship ... also good in Ops.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/waltzing-matilda-with-perth/

Since I already own quite a few of the ships in the range you're looking at I can't tell if they're for Doubs or Coal ... but I'll say for the DDs (since you mentioned Anshan), T-61 is probably one of the best in game tier for tier.  I also still enjoy playing Sims and Blyska ... even though they are old and powercrept ... I can still make them work for me.  I'm betting Scharnhorst is not for coal, but if you're looking for a mid tier BB, it's still one of the best in the game. 

Best of luck!

• Cool 2

Members
0 posts
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

Narai is a T7 Operation, those BB's do well in it. DoY's hydro comes in real handy at times too, that would be two premium T7 BB's that you could run in that operation. 
Which would limit your down time or cost to repeat in a timely fashion.
Operations can be a low stress, high pay-out option to Randoms. And if you have at least 4 willing, you can do anytime.
You would be able to run a tech tree BB captain or any other tech tree captain on them in order to work off their retraining penalty if you moved a commander up a line.

I can understand your desire for diversity though. 
Just my 2 credits.

I didn't realize Narai is a T7 Operation. So that tilts the choice more towards T7 coal ships as they offer more versatility.

I'll have enough FXP for Nelson by about the same time I'll have enough coal for DoY, or maybe I'll even get DoY sooner with 25% coupon on coal. And I like that ship more than Lazo. But Lazo is cheaper so it can start "paying back" sooner.

Blyska is another T7, and it's the cheapest prem T7 ship. But my understanding is that it's also quite humble among other T7s, especially if uptiered, and its AA is a joke. Not a good ship for Operations probably, as these ships would need more stamina, but I may be wrong here.

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,574 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Blyska is another T7, and it's the cheapest prem T7 ship. But my understanding is that it's also quite humble among other T7s, especially if uptiered, and its AA is a joke. Not a good ship for Operations probably, as these ships would need more stamina, but I may be wrong here.

In my experience, DD's in operations should be avoided unless the player is extremely knowledgeable of that operation and/or DD play in general.
(The lone exception to this being Dynamo, which was a DD operation, that has not returned since the CV rework 2 years ago.)

• Cool 1

Members
367 posts
7,570 battles

Best bet is to choose one of a nation you want to play a lot of if you are trying to get best bang for buck.  Particularly one you wanna do a lot of grinding on and probably reach tier X first.  Then you probably want to match the playstyle so you can learn it well.  For me the best premium was Atago which I got in a Christmas Crate.  Jap cruisers were my first line back when stealth firing was a thing.  Still plays very similar to Jap CA's especially the higher tier ones.

DoY is an OK ship, its a slightly worse KGV though because it is basically the Same but has two second longer reload.  I got it thru mission when it came out.  Makes a decent trainer for RN but so will Nelson.  They both do pretty well uptiered though because HE spam works on higher tier armor and that makes them good trainers since you get more XP from being uptiered.

• Cool 1

[_BDA_]
Members
136 posts
3,607 battles
3 hours ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Greetings!

Your thoughts?

Well first off welcome to the forums. 

Now I have given below my thoughts on each ship but it is important to bear in mind that these are my opinions and you and I may have completely different preferences and opinions. As such I would recommend you research more about these ships. A good resource are the reviews by Little White Mouse though it is important to bear in mind when these were written as massive changes have been made to the game and in some cases the ships themselves (most notably Duke of York). I will only cover cruisers and battleships since I'm a complete noob when it comes to DDs so I can't tell the difference between a good and bad destroyer.

Duke of York- Duke of York is overall a very solid ship but I wouldn't get it for two reasons. One, if you are going to get Nelson like you say you are, then Duke of York becomes redundant as a captain re-trainer and trainer. The second reason is that an the T7 British Battleship King George V is an arguably better version of Duke of York. The differences are that Duke of York gains an additional 4.5 seconds to its reload, looses access to the Spotting Aircraft Consumable, and has worse rudder shift in exchange for Hydroacoustic Search, improved auto bounce angles on its AP shells and slightly better AA (though this will hardly be noticeable). I will leave it up to you to decide whether these trades are good but to most people and myself included, they are not. That it not to say that she is bad ship but because your resources are tight, she becomes a less attractive option. It also important to note that Duke of York is not the easiest Battleship to play thanks to its small gun caliber, relatively short range, exposed citadel, awkward firing angles, and the abysmal state of Tier 7 matchmaking means you will often find yourself in Tier 9 Games.  

Lazo- in my opinion is the best Mid-Tier ship that you can get for coal. Her playstyle is very much that of other Russian Cls which is stay at range and spam HE at everything. She also has a gimmicked up version of the Spotting Aircraft Consumable which has shorter active time compared to the standard version but has a much much faster cooldown. This also means that she is one the best T7 cruisers to be in when in T9 matches since unlike some other T7 cruisers (Helena, Boise, Myoko), you can just sit at range and rain HE shells on the enemy from 17+ km. Her skills also mesh very well with the Russian Tech Tree cruisers and because she is Tier 7, you use her to farm Narai (the sole Tier 7 operation).

Flint- I would avoid Flint to be honest. Flint used to be a steel ship that Wargaming released for coal because she wasn't selling all that well. However, this means that her Coal price is greatly inflated to preserve some sense of her exclusivity. However, this does not mean that she is a good ship, far from it actually. Flint has been nerfed by several global changes and has left it a shell of its former self. The biggest issue it has is its poor range of 11.7 km and it's poor shell flight times means that it struggles to hit anything at that range. The former issue is partially mitigated by smoke and the latter can also be mitigated with practice but it just has so many other issues. It must also be kept in mind that she Tier 7 which means that she will most of the time be facing T9s where engagement ranges become greater, ships get more heavily armed and armored and radar starts becoming common. All this translates into a mediocre ship past its prime and certainly not worth the current asking Coal price even with the coupon.    

Marblehead- I would also avoid Marblehead as she is worse than a fully upgraded Omaha equipped with the B Hull. Omaha is not a new player friendly ship thanks to massive citadel, seriously, you will get focused in Omaha by all the BBs on the enemy team not because its a great threat but because it such an target to farm damage on. Marblehead is worse with its main downside being its 13.9km range compared to Omaha's 15.6 km when fully upgraded. It also important to note that you can get the Marblehead Lima (which is just a Marblehead with a different Camo) for the relatively cheap price of $8 in the premium shop.

Kirov - Kirov is honestly a whole lot oh meh. She isn't a bad ship but there isn't anything that makes her stand out from the rest of the T5 cruisers. She is overall a solid but unremarkable ship. However, I honestly wouldn't recommend you get her because Lazo is also available for coal will be a better long term investment as you can earn more credits and XP in her as well as use her in Narai.  

October Revolution -October Revolution is overall a solid ship however she doesn't have the lowest skill floor thanks to her awkward turret set up, lackluster pen, exposed citadel, and imitated number of Damage Control Party Consumables. However, if you can get around these things, you have an overall solid Tier 5 battleship. I would however go for one of the higher tier ships first as they will serve as better investment as they can earn more credits and XP in her as well as use them in Operations.  

Edit: since you were considering using these ships in operations. I would honestly steer clear of the DDs as they do not have the gunpower or the HP to compete with same tier cruisers and the Torps and smoke are not really going to compensate for these deficiencies.

Edited by cheekywarship2018
  • Thanks 2

[WPORT]
Members
7,836 posts
12,891 battles
3 hours ago, The_Longest_Torpedo said:

Greetings!

Your thoughts?

Mid-tier?  I'm guessing that is Tier-5 or Tier-6, right?

The first one that I did buy with coal was the French DD, Aigle.
Played it extensively in Operation Dynamo (evacuation of Dunkirk) before the scenario operation went on hiatus.
Aigle has quirks, but it is a decent 'bote.

Anshan is fine.  
Her torpedoes are "all purpose" instead of the deep-water torpedoes.  I needed a ship for my Azur Lane Commander Yat Sen and wanted to explore the Pan-Asian line.
For relaxing games in Co-op, I've no complaints.

I got Kirov when she was still a tech-tree ship.  Now she's a premium.
I'm fond of her.  
I haven't played her since the Captain's skills re-bork of update 0.10.0, yet.  In the past she's been comfortable to play.
Like all cruisers, she doesn't have battleship armor.  So, avoiding being hit is a good idea.
I think she's versatile and has a reasonable suite of consumables.

Stepping down to Tier-4, the Yubari is a fun 'bote to play in co-op.

Other choices of ships are available, but I don't feel that I know enough about them to offer good opinions or solid advice.
Good luck with your shopping.  :-)

[OFCS]
Beta Testers
35 posts
8,438 battles

I took a year off and logged on and found the Kirov in my port. I may be wrong but wasn’t it originally in the regular tech tree until a Soviet line rework?  I m pretty sure I had a regular Kirov in my port at one point.

Anyway I logged in and got a free Kirov. Yes it’s a T5 but it can be fun and will land some citadels. However it’s fragile. 

My first coal ship was the Bly and then the Aigle. I had and still do have fun in the Bly but it seems to be either really good or really bad games with a little in between. Because the Aigle is T6 it’s more relaxed to play. I find T7 to be weird and when low tier it’s hard to hang. For some reason I don’t have that reason when T8s are bottom tier. 

While the concealment range isn’t the greatest I find the Aigle fun. It has good speed and smoke and decent guns. I bought the Anshan to but I play the Aigle the most alone with the T61 though that’s not coal. 

• Cool 1