You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Interceptor.... Sounds cool!

19 comments in this topic

Members
7,047 posts
21,866 battles

I now get a 4.2km radius for my bot fighters (was 3.85) for three points!

Except they don't shoot down enemy fighters or spot enemy ships.

I think this was a mistake, I would pay 6-8 points for this skill if they allowed it!

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles

The CV Support package is one of the most interesting set of new skills in the rework for me. 

As best I can figure out, the idea is for an 'attack' squadron of the CV to drop Interceptors over friendly ships to shoot down enemy squadrons attacking them, unhindered by enemy fighters.  Alternatively, dropping Interceptors over the enemy CV chews up his launches.

I've heard from someone that's tried the package that it's quite effective.  A new CV meme.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,894 posts
7,603 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The CV Support package is one of the most interesting set of new skills in the rework for me. 

As best I can figure out, the idea is for an 'attack' squadron of the CV to drop Interceptors over friendly ships to shoot down enemy squadrons attacking them, unhindered by enemy fighters.  Alternatively, dropping Interceptors over the enemy CV chews up his launches.

I've heard from someone that's tried the package that it's quite effective.  A new CV meme.

They're not immune to AA, just to fighters.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles

Yeah, true enough.  That won't be an issue in the CAP-for-friendlies role, but should for CV interdiction.

I haven't tried the build myself so can't attest.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,378 posts
10,471 battles

Haven't seen it in use yet, so can't say if it's a worthwhile skill.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,438 posts
13,111 battles

Your trading almost all utility for being more effective at shooting attack aircraft down.

You lose the ability to drop fighters to spot and to clear fighters off a friendly DD.

For an ability to maybe kill more strike aircraft should someone fly through them.

If you weren't paying for it, it might be interesting, like a lot of the skills.

[CDOH]
Members
716 posts
7,922 battles

They don't even shoot down aircraft that effectively.  Its a terrible skill.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,268 posts

There are no dedicated fighters in the reborked CV.

In the RTS days you had maybe two or three groups of nothing but fighters. How you used them determined if the enemy gets to win or not. When you sent fighter groups in to cover a teammate ship it becomes a whole another battle unto itself when the enemy CV player vectors in his fighters as well.

I do know that fighters are not that well supported in today's CV game play. You might scrape up a couple or have a automatic fighter cover over carrier (If they activated that means the enemy is placing bombs and torps into your carrier anyway. Much good your fighters did which is MEH....)

Thus my position, fighters are not that big part of today's wows game.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
5 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

They don't even shoot down aircraft that effectively.  Its a terrible skill.

You say this based on what?  Intuition?

[CDOH]
Members
716 posts
7,922 battles
8 hours ago, iDuckman said:

You say this based on what?  Intuition?

i was embellishing a bit.  It does not prevent any drops on ships unfortunately. Noster tried multiple times with a full interceptor build and it never prevented any drops.  It was clearly not as effective as an offensive build.

[DRY]
Members
186 posts

I tried am interceptor build on Enterprise, which had the best fighters in the game to start. I played defensively, going out of my way to shield friendly ships under attack. 

Same old problems. Takes too long to get to where you need to do the drop. Interceptors engage more quickly, but still not enough. Huge opportunity cost when you're not focused on doing damage. Enemy just avoids them.

CVs do so little damage that you need to focus on doing damage and spotting. Defense is almost never a priority. Interceptors cripple your spotting and aren't doing any good unless you're giving up doing damage. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
4 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

i was embellishing a bit.  It does not prevent any drops on ships unfortunately. Noster tried multiple times with a full interceptor build and it never prevented any drops.  It was clearly not as effective as an offensive build.

That's disappointing. 

[SALVO]
Members
6,634 posts
5,231 battles
18 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Your trading almost all utility for being more effective at shooting attack aircraft down.

You lose the ability to drop fighters to spot and to clear fighters off a friendly DD.

For an ability to maybe kill more strike aircraft should someone fly through them.

If you weren't paying for it, it might be interesting, like a lot of the skills.

4 hours ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

I tried am interceptor build on Enterprise, which had the best fighters in the game to start. I played defensively, going out of my way to shield friendly ships under attack. 

Same old problems. Takes too long to get to where you need to do the drop. Interceptors engage more quickly, but still not enough. Huge opportunity cost when you're not focused on doing damage. Enemy just avoids them.

CVs do so little damage that you need to focus on doing damage and spotting. Defense is almost never a priority. Interceptors cripple your spotting and aren't doing any good unless you're giving up doing damage. 

I think that is the "thing" about this build, you forgo doing damage in the intention of negating/limiting the enemy's damage. This would be a nega-build, can't have it both ways.

I find it interesting IF the deployed fighters drop and latch quickly enough to intercept the enemy planes. As I see this (and consider this is just theory from a non CV player), it could be interesting to use in a CV with fast planes to intercept enemy flights (actively chase them) and drop the fighters directly over them as an active attack, not as passive cover over friendly ships. Your intention with such a build would be to actively focus on depleting the enemy planes reserves early on, and intercept their flights "before" they reach their target. There's a lot of IFs but looks interesting at first sight.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,438 posts
13,111 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I think that is the "thing" about this build, you forgo doing damage in the intention of negating/limiting the enemy's damage. This would be a nega-build, can't have it both ways.

I find it interesting IF the deployed fighters drop and latch quickly enough to intercept the enemy planes. As I see this (and consider this is just theory from a non CV player), it could be interesting to use in a CV with fast planes to intercept enemy flights (actively chase them) and drop the fighters directly over them as an active attack, not as passive cover over friendly ships. Your intention with such a build would be to actively focus on depleting the enemy planes reserves early on, and intercept their flights "before" they reach their target. There's a lot of IFs but looks interesting at first sight.

Actively dropping them in front of the other CV's aircraft is easier said than done, Graf Zeppelin and Indomitable might be able to do this to Implacable, but you'd need a a heck of a speed advantage to pull it off reliably. Almost anything V/S FDR or Ark Royal might work as well.

As far as actively depleting the other CV's plane reserves, I don't see the interceptors being that much more impactful than fighters (IOW, hardly at all).

Standard pre-dropping would limit the early surprise, and instead of losing planes to AA, the CV might lose them to interceptors.

Now that your interceptors have been seen  if the other CV has half a brain can counter you by:

Going to the other side of the map, which is the same thing you might do with death blobs.

Being careful not to run your aircraft over, again, not actually that hard, as intercepting the other CV's planes is more luck than skill to even have a chance.

If you're not in an Enterprise (with it's massive blob of patrol fighters) or he's not in a Saipan (and it's inability to take meaningful losses and remain functional), just suck up the losses. Enterprise's own planes are not fast enough to intercept anything beyond luck (or a perfect victim CV like FDR or Ark Royal) anyway.

They can operate in close proximity to friendly ships as well, and feed their teammates interceptor kills. Sounds like a good time to be hunting DD's and spotting for the team.

You also have a very limited number of interceptors available, and between missed drops and successful intercepts, you aren't going to cause that many losses. This is further hampered by the aircraft that your dropping interceptors with, attack aircraft with the short boost won't be very useful, so mostly it will be the bombers doing interceptor delivery.

[SALVO]
Members
6,634 posts
5,231 battles
5 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Actively dropping them in front of the other CV's aircraft is easier said than done, Graf Zeppelin and Indomitable might be able to do this to Implacable, but you'd need a a heck of a speed advantage to pull it off reliably. Almost anything V/S FDR or Ark Royal might work as well.

As far as actively depleting the other CV's plane reserves, I don't see the interceptors being that much more impactful than fighters (IOW, hardly at all).

Standard pre-dropping would limit the early surprise, and instead of losing planes to AA, the CV might lose them to interceptors.

Now that your interceptors have been seen  if the other CV has half a brain can counter you by:

Going to the other side of the map, which is the same thing you might do with death blobs.

Being careful not to run your aircraft over, again, not actually that hard, as intercepting the other CV's planes is more luck than skill to even have a chance.

If you're not in an Enterprise (with it's massive blob of patrol fighters) or he's not in a Saipan (and it's inability to take meaningful losses and remain functional), just suck up the losses. Enterprise's own planes are not fast enough to intercept anything beyond luck (or a perfect victim CV like FDR or Ark Royal) anyway.

They can operate in close proximity to friendly ships as well, and feed their teammates interceptor kills. Sounds like a good time to be hunting DD's and spotting for the team.

You also have a very limited number of interceptors available, and between missed drops and successful intercepts, you aren't going to cause that many losses. This is further hampered by the aircraft that your dropping interceptors with, attack aircraft with the short boost won't be very useful, so mostly it will be the bombers doing interceptor delivery.

Theorizing about how this could work:

This would be viable with fast planes, something with slow planes doesn't have any chance to pull the play.

You would intercept enemy flights as much on a head on course as possible, for this you will need to predict to some degree the area of operations of the enemy CV, I don't think it would be too hard since it is often related to vulnerable/priority targets. Since you will be playing over your own air space, you should have a jump start over the enemy CV and be in position before he arrives to target zone.

The optimal solution would be dropping the interceptors before the flight reaches the target in order to deplete the flight, if you deplete the flight before it strikes you improve the chances of AA later negating the strike or limiting the attack to only 1 pass. Ideally, the enemy CV would recall their strike if the flight gets depleted to a point where it is no longer viable to make the drop, adding time loss to the plane loss. 

Afaik, there's something like 3 interceptor charges per squadron type, I think it is a decent enough number to mess up with the enemy CV for around 5-8 minutes, basically you are giving your team (and the enemy team) some buffer time without (or with limited) CV influence over the match. If you are a good CV player, this is probably a very bad idea since your time would be better expended influencing the match by regular gameplay. But, if you are a poor/rookie CV player (or just don't like CVs) this potentially can give you a leg up on stopping or slowing down the enemy´s performance, reducing their influence over the match. Assuming your own influence isn't really relevant to start with, neutering yourself in exchange of neutering the enemy for an extended period of time would be a net positive. 

[SGSS]
Members
5,559 posts
On 1/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, iDuckman said:

For competitive it would be very interesting.  For random no way am I spending most of my points on something to defend people that are going to report me anyway.

Would be cool to watch in competitive.

[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
121 posts
14,412 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

That's exactly how I set up and use them on my Enterprise.  Chase down enemy squads with my rocket fighters and drop interceptors before they get to your ships.  The interceptors chase em down fast and more often than not eliminate the entire enemy flight.  Do it enough and run the enemy low on planes, saving your own for the endgame.  It does, however, limit your spotting and damage.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,438 posts
13,111 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Theorizing about how this could work:

This would be viable with fast planes, something with slow planes doesn't have any chance to pull the play.

You would intercept enemy flights as much on a head on course as possible, for this you will need to predict to some degree the area of operations of the enemy CV, I don't think it would be too hard since it is often related to vulnerable/priority targets. Since you will be playing over your own air space, you should have a jump start over the enemy CV and be in position before he arrives to target zone.

The optimal solution would be dropping the interceptors before the flight reaches the target in order to deplete the flight, if you deplete the flight before it strikes you improve the chances of AA later negating the strike or limiting the attack to only 1 pass. Ideally, the enemy CV would recall their strike if the flight gets depleted to a point where it is no longer viable to make the drop, adding time loss to the plane loss. 

Afaik, there's something like 3 interceptor charges per squadron type, I think it is a decent enough number to mess up with the enemy CV for around 5-8 minutes, basically you are giving your team (and the enemy team) some buffer time without (or with limited) CV influence over the match. If you are a good CV player, this is probably a very bad idea since your time would be better expended influencing the match by regular gameplay. But, if you are a poor/rookie CV player (or just don't like CVs) this potentially can give you a leg up on stopping or slowing down the enemy´s performance, reducing their influence over the match. Assuming your own influence isn't really relevant to start with, neutering yourself in exchange of neutering the enemy for an extended period of time would be a net positive. 

Just don't see it working well enough to invest points into it, especially when there's so few victim carriers that it might work well against.

To successfully intercept, you're having to use Indomitable, Graf Zeppelin, or MVR for the plane speed, just to counter FDR, Implacable, Ark Royal or maybe Saipan.

Even worse, you don't need interceptors to counter Implacable or Ark Royal, as regular patrol fighters can engage them.  FDR's planes are slow enough it should work the same way, I haven't personally run into one and tried it.

Both CV"s have to be messing around the same cap, or you're just not going to see each other. If you don't pick the same cap, even with your high speed, you are probably gonna be too late.

I see the thinking, that you'll replicate the old USN air superiority CV loadouts from RTS, I just don't see it working in randoms well enough to be worth doing. Especially when you're spending a lot of time trying to protect your team, and not getting yourself paid. Planes kills aren't worth much. Defending your team is an opportunity thing, you've got your planes somewhere for a reason, and dropping fighters to help protect them supports that reason. If the other CV happens to show up at the same place, then yea, you're gonna try and spoil the other CV's fun, because whatever he was there for isn't good for you.

Now in something like clan battles when you have control over your teams composition, and if the FDR happens to be the end all be all CV for it, then yea, taking an MVR and shutting him down might be a good option for clans without an FDR driver. I don't see it happening, if only because the FDR makes a lousy Swiss Army Knife, and it's one of the few CV's that can't be everywhere when you need it to be. Even Audacious is a better choice if you're not trying to do straight damage.

Actually, you could counter Audacious as well, her planes are slow enough, but it's not like she's worth countering.

Members
2,289 posts
52 battles

One of my fellow CV mains says that once you adapt your playstyle to it a full fighter build is actually quite effective on Midway and Enterprise at least. And, according to him, as long as you pick the usual core CV skills along with those you won't be lacking too much damage potential either.

The primary issue with this aside from the usual stuff with the current implementation of CV fighters that surely all know at this point however is that the enemy can also just deny you with no investment since you've taken away the option of despawning fighters from yourself and it seems fairly easily avoidable once they realize what exactly your intentions are. That requires the enemy to be smart though which isn't gonna happen too often. That on the other hand leads directly to another issue: Very few CV players are dangerous enough that makes it makes defending your teammates from them worth it.

I can also imagine a full fighter setup to be fairly skill intensive since you'll need to stay on top of your situational awareness and have to give up a decent amount of "crutch skills" such as reduced torp arming distance and sight stab. So if you believe you're skilled enough and want to change up your gameplay a little, you can try it. For everyone else I would recommend going with the usual full offensively oriented build.

• Cool 1