Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

FYI: Skill point distribution/redistribution and different ship classes

7 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,630 posts

As everyone is aware, with Patch 0.10.0 all ship commanders had their skill points reassigned automatically to 'recommended' settings. Currently there are two methods to reset the skill points so you can pick other skills if you wish - 1) manually going through each captain and hitting the 'redistribute' button under the skill window (temporarily free of cost), or 2) using the web link provided by WG that resets all skill points for all your commanders in one action.

I choose option 1 just because I wanted to get familiar with the new interface, etc. However, I found using this method, that skill redistribution (in-game) only resets skill points on the ship class your captain is currently in. SO MAKE SURE IF YOU USE THIS METHOD TO CHECK ALL YOUR CAPTAIN BUILDS ACCROSS ALL SHIP TYPES.

For example, I had The Mighty Jingles captain on my T5 Emerald cruiser when the patch dropped (so he was trained for the Emerald). But the first day of the patch, without playing him yet, I swapped him over to the T6 Warspite premium battleship (no retraining cost). I set up some skills I thought would work and played. After the first match I found my skill selection was garbage so hit the redistribute button and tried again. Well after several days of trying various battleship builds (and redistributing each time) I decided to throw him back in the Emerald cruiser. Imagine my surprise that the cruiser skill points had NOT been reset despite the large number of times I had hit the redistribute button. I had to hit the redistribute button again with Jingles IN the cruiser in order for them to reset.

This isn't that big a deal right now with the free respec going on, but if you wait, it will cost real money (doubloons) to reset your skill points in EACH category.  So check now while its still free so you don't get caught by surprise later!

For the Dev Team: Is this working as intended? Shouldn't a purchased respec reset ALL the skill points, in ALL categories, on a single captain? 

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
3,287 posts
26,944 battles

Imagine respecting  (401  ships ????  Most of them I left at reset , until the dust clears and see what happens before the 30 grace period expires.................  

[RST]
Members
566 posts
11,933 battles

I have been either manually redistributing as I play them or playing them as the came after the skill update. I'm reserving my "1 chance" to to a global reset (the "nuclear button") for near the end, when I'll plan to reset all of them and respec as I play them without having to look at every obscure ship and captain I have and rarely use...basically will have the option later.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts

I did all of them by hand. There is no rush and only took about a hour and change.

My commanders stay with their ships forever with very few exceptions which is eliminated now that 19's are no longer the top dog.

Getting some of them from 19 to 21 is so expensive against my unconverted FXP pile that I will need a few drinks before spending that money. And in the end only build a ship that might be missing a skill or two that existed before the 10.0.

Its not all bad but very difficult right now. Ive been through constant respec until I find that only a few skills work well in battle and the rest are essentially a liability, nerf or a junk.

The only saving grace is that everyone in game has the same problem. And really has not changed the game materially for better or worse with one exception of massive sniping bb's way in the back white line firing from 30 miles. And cruisers are essentially farmable bait now.

[SIMP]
Members
1,630 posts
17 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Once the free respec period is over, you will have to pay separately to respec each of a commander’s four skill trees.

This is what I am seeing right now. Doesn't seem right. I mean if I am paying real money to reset my skill points on a captain, shouldn't they ALL be reset?

So is this officially the way WG wants this to work, or simply an oversight that needs to be looked and and fixed? (Hopefully before the free respec period expires)

Sign in to follow this