Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Anyone want to take a stab at Proximity Fuse?

27 comments in this topic

Members
7,048 posts
21,894 battles

Anti-Torpedo Protection Negation? +10%

Plus 10% of what from what? Flooding? Damage? Detection?  Eliminating Torp belt protection values? Actually hitting? Being hit by torps?

My planes have a +10% chance of negating anti torp protection. For four captains skills points can i at least get some bread and lemon water with this burnt meatloaf?

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[K-POP]
Members
4,791 posts
13,198 battles

It’s not a 10% chance of negating torpedo protection. It removes 10% of the target ship’s torpedo damage reduction, and it’s a straight 10% not a percent based reduction - for example, a ship with a 25% reduction would now only have a 15% reduction. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,566 posts
4,771 battles

Has no effect on hitting, despite the suggestive name.  It partially defeats the damage reduction of a Torpedo Protection/Defense System (TPS or TDS).  Just more damage on a hit.

The effect on flooding and on ships without a TDS are unclear to me.

[PISD]
Members
1,818 posts
6,025 battles

10% less torpedo protection, so 10% more damage on it and it increase the flood chance.

[WOLF3]
Members
29,591 posts
25,666 battles

Bad for anyone getting hit.  Cruisers already have awful TDS values, so the gain against them isn't as big.  It's against Battleships who have superior TDS values where the gain should be more noticeable.  Particularly the high TDS ones like South Dakota-class, Amagi, Yamato-class, New Mexico, the new USN BBs, etc.

Also just noticed.  This skill is only for CVs?  So the ships that use torpedoes the most, Destroyers, have no access to this skill?

13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Has no effect on hitting, despite the suggestive name.  It partially defeats the damage reduction of a Torpedo Protection/Defense System (TPS or TDS).  Just more damage on a hit.

The effect on flooding and on ships without a TDS are unclear to me.

Theoretically it should, as TDS is a part of Flood Chance.  It's why, usually, if a torp strikes the TDS of my BB, I'm less likely to flood.  Even better, the damage done to me is reduced.  But if the torp hits a non-TDS area like the extremities, which can easily happen when BBs try to comb torps but screw up, the likeliness of a flood skyrockets, as well as eating far more damage.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

Copy & Paste from there:

If the torpedo hits an anti-torpedo bulge:

Flood Chance = (1 - [Torpedo Protection]) x (1 - DCM1) x 0.33 x [Torpedo Flood Chance] x (1 + +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) x (1 + +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.)
Otherwise:

Flood Chance = [Torpedo Flood Chance] x (1 + +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) x (1 + +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.)

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
7,048 posts
21,894 battles

bunch of different answers, no one knows the starting value, what value it provides and does it present a full across the board 10% reduction or is it a 10% reduction from existing torp protection values? In other words is at 3.5% off of a 35% torpedo belt or does it reduce that belt to 25%?

It's as clear as mud. And i have about 40 more of these cherubs to question.....

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,566 posts
4,771 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Copy & Paste from there:

Thanks.  I hadn't gotten around to looking that up yet. 

Some are claiming that the 10% (absolute) reduction can make the TDS effect negative.  I have a hard time believing that.

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
675 posts
7,881 battles

The words people are looking for are "percentage points".

When you reduce 50 by 10 percent you get 45.

When you reduce 50 by 10 percentage points (which is what the skill does), you get 40.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,566 posts
4,771 battles
3 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

In other words is at 3.5% off of a 35% torpedo belt or does it reduce that belt to 25%?

To 25%.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,566 posts
4,771 battles
5 minutes ago, Kartaugh said:

The words people are looking for are "percentage points".

When you reduce 50 by 10 percent you get 45.

When you reduce 50 by 10 percentage points (which is what the skill does), you get 40. 

meme steal.jpg

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[K-POP]
Members
4,791 posts
13,198 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Some are claiming that the 10% (absolute) reduction can make the TDS effect negative.  I have a hard time believing that.

Most of the times I see that claim, they’re saying that info’s coming directly from WG, but I’ve never seen a link to/screenshot of the actual statement. I also have a hard time believing WG intended for that to be the case, but seeing some of the bugs in previous patches I wouldn’t be surprised if this was another one of those, and the skill actually did make the TDS go negative. 

[WOLF3]
Members
29,591 posts
25,666 battles
10 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I guess a way to test it is in Training Room, hit some BB with a TDS value you know of.  Check the result screens and see what the actual reduction is with math.  A test without Prox.Fuse and another with it.

Members
7,048 posts
21,894 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I guess a way to test it is in Training Room, hit some BB with a TDS value you know of.  Check the result screens and see what the actual reduction is with math.  A test without Prox.Fuse and another with it.

I did the math with a hakuryu and a Yamato which starts at 55% reduction. Bottom line you get a smidge more damage.... but that Hak has good torps but few of them, others have more but don't hit as hard.

Bottom line, for this skill you will get a 2-7k more damage per game depending on your proficiency with torps.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,546 posts
6,812 battles

Basically, any torp that hits protection does 10% more damage.   If they do 5000 damage per torp normally, then its +500 damage to the torps that hit protection

5000 base, say, 50% protection, so 2500, but with this skill 2500 becomes 3000.

Its not as amazing a skill as everyone seems to think, its nice extra damage, but its not this major buff.

Edited by Zenn3k

Members
7,048 posts
21,894 battles
37 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Basically, any torp that hits protection does 10% more damage.   If they do 5000 damage per torp normally, then its +500 damage to the torps that hit protection

5000 base, say, 50% protection, so 2500, but with this skill 2500 becomes 3000.

Its not as amazing a skill as everyone seems to think, its nice extra damage, but its not this major buff.

which is exactly what every skill change is,,, not much.... but what has changed is the additional revenue stream for WG

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,987 posts
9,887 battles
1 hour ago, Pura__Vida said:

bunch of different answers, no one knows the starting value, what value it provides and does it present a full across the board 10% reduction or is it a 10% reduction from existing torp protection values? In other words is at 3.5% off of a 35% torpedo belt or does it reduce that belt to 25%?

The starting value depends on the target ship, the values are individual.

It provides a full across the board 10% reduction.

As to what value it provides, that's pretty much wholly dependent on your CV gameplay.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,378 posts
10,471 battles

I thought this skill, per description, is flat -10% to TDS of hit target?

Members
7,048 posts
21,894 battles
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

The starting value depends on the target ship, the values are individual.

It provides a full across the board 10% reduction.

As to what value it provides, that's pretty much wholly dependent on your CV gameplay.

MY gameplay has nothing to do with this skill. This skill is in question. Apparently it is a 10% reduction to each ships torpedo damage mitigation skill. So if you have no torpedo damage mitigation this skill is useless.

Don't confuse the topic with padding your post count.

• Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,987 posts
9,887 battles
8 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

MY gameplay has nothing to do with this skill. This skill is in question. Apparently it is a 10% reduction to each ships torpedo damage mitigation skill. So if you have no torpedo damage mitigation this skill is useless.

Don't confuse the topic with padding your post count.

Your gameplay has everything to do with it.

Is your usage of torpedo planes the same as the other types, or is it less, or more?

Do you just try to hit the ship, or try to place torps to avoid the TDS?

Do all targets have equal opportunity, or are you more inclined to go after cruisers and/or DDs?

All of these things will affect the value of the skill to you.

Please explain how that is "confusing the topic". You specifically asked what value the skill provided, and I gave you an answer.

As far as "padding my post count", is that even a thing? What would be the purpose?

If me telling you the truth is somehow offensive, please, feel free to ignore me.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
7,048 posts
21,894 battles
16 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Your gameplay has everything to do with it.

Is your usage of torpedo planes the same as the other types, or is it less, or more?

Do you just try to hit the ship, or try to place torps to avoid the TDS?

Do all targets have equal opportunity, or are you more inclined to go after cruisers and/or DDs?

All of these things will affect the value of the skill to you.

Please explain how that is "confusing the topic". You specifically asked what value the skill provided, and I gave you an answer.

As far as "padding my post count", is that even a thing? What would be the purpose?

If me telling you the truth is somehow offensive, please, feel free to ignore me.

I have ignored you for years. How and why I respond to you shocks me. I have as little respect for you as a forum contributor as I do those \I have blocked.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,440 posts
13,111 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Also just noticed.  This skill is only for CVs?  So the ships that use torpedoes the most, Destroyers, have no access to this skill?

CV's probably use torps more than most DD's, as for many of us it's our primary weapon. (the ones of us that are fed up of getting let down by flying slot machines, AKA, Dive bombers)

CV torps also don't have the knockout punch that DD torps have, both in individual warhead size, and volume of torps.

With "Proximity Fuse" you're also spending 4 points to counter a 3 point skill for battleships called "Enhanced Torpedo Protection" 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,566 posts
4,771 battles
5 hours ago, Reymu said:

I thought this skill, per description, is flat -10% to TDS of hit target?

It does.  -35% TDS protection is reduced to -25%.  -48% protection is reduced to -38%.

Sign in to follow this