Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

"Air Superiority" skills feedback?

11 comments in this topic

[KWF]
Members
5,543 posts
6,848 battles

Just wondering on the whole fighter skill column and Interceptors. So far seen them twice or thrice. Are they any good? Can they effectively protect the team? Are they a bad copy of RTS air superiority? 

Just curious on hearing opinions of people that maybe tried them as am not too fond of playing CVs but was curious.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,732 posts
12,332 battles

It reminds me of AS Bogue from old CV days. Maximum aircraft suppression toxicity. They are basically a zone of active denial when placed soundly over your team and away from enemy ships.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,219 posts

Try it yourself and see.

Usually when it drops 5 fighters off somewhere it gets bypassed or run over or eviscerated by a fat AA warship that has yet to clean the rust off the gun barrels from disuse.

The current carrier system is not BAD. just not what it was years ago prior to the removal of the RTS system. In those days any ship including carriers stood a real chance of being deleted at any moment should enough barbarians make it to the drop point with hordes of torps, bombs or whatever.

In those days when team demanded air cover, they GOT aircover. Nothing got through in the sky. In fact I usually defanged the Enemy CV in the 8 minutes or so after game start. When enemy carrier is totally out of planes, that was the time to launch strikes with impunity. muhahahaha lolz.

I actually have a award somewhere from even the little Bogue. Stood alone against 4 warships at the end and won by sinking them and then running out the clock on points.

Edited by xHeavy

[-BUI-]
Members
2,523 posts
6,761 battles

They are a waste of time IMO.   They're "latch time" from drop is the same, since it has a longer delay before it can become active and faster attack and that cancel each-other out.   

Its not worth losing spotting for some fighters your opponent CV can just bait into attacking 1-2 planes about to die anyway.

Until they design a way to allow fighters to be placed independently of where your attack planes are on the map, they remain useless overall.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
957 posts
7,498 battles

Spotting is > killing planes in the long run.

The interceptor is worth using only on top of an ally ship that needs to survive for 60 seconds more.

Try catching an enemy squadron with it is a 1 trick pony at best. From there, you only make the red CV press F.

Worst of all, red CV can pre-drop and sacrifice minimal planes to clear interceptor.

Members
2,246 posts
52 battles

The biggest issue with such a build, regardless of whether it is effective or not (from the little I've played I don't believe so, but I've had a source that I trust say otherwise), is that few CV players are dangerous enough that it is worth defending your team against them in the first place.

As such you're better served just picking offensive skills instead which will always be useful.

Edited by El2aZeR

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
287 posts
5,032 battles

A.I for fighters is still broken.  They will chase after the wrong planes most of the time.  Usually the ones peeling off the squadron (after attack).

Feels exactly the same as before, where AI can be manipulated.

[SALVO]
Members
6,535 posts
5,215 battles
5 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

The biggest issue with such a build, regardless of whether it is effective or not (from the little I've played I don't believe so, but I've had a source that I trust say otherwise), is that few CV players are dangerous enough that it is worth defending your team against them in the first place.

As such you're pretty much always better served just picking offensive skills instead which will always be useful.

what about dropping the fighters over the enemy flight? do they latch quickly enough to attack and deliver the damage? 

IF they are effective at intercepting flights, wouldn't be viable for a fairly unskilled CV player (me for example) to deny and block a more skilled CV player or at least inflict on him/her some serious loses?

[RLGN]
Members
15,468 posts
27,172 battles
30 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I actually have a award somewhere from even the little Bogue.

Clear Sky (shoot down 30+ planes,) most likely.

Thing is; I got my first Clear Sky in Bogue as welll...'

...in a STRIKE Bogue.

Meaning; 30+ planes with AA, and Tail Gunners exclusively, when they still existed.

I despised AS Bogue with a passion. Mostly because I never considered them that difficult to outplay, and saw too many of them die from lack of offensive DPM.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,784 posts
7,404 battles

I need to play with it more.. spent a few hours on it.. I can't seem to make it work.   And the loss of spotting.. is very real.   My first impression of it is that I didn't realize how much I relied on the reconnaissance of those fighter consumables especially against DDs.    I found it really uncomfortable to play, and never did quite figure out how to use them functionally enough to really stop an enemy CV?   I really need to play with it some more.   I see some CV players streaming that are saying they enjoy them?        

Members
2,246 posts
52 battles
13 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

what about dropping the fighters over the enemy flight? do they latch quickly enough to attack and deliver the damage? 

IF they are effective at intercepting flights, wouldn't be viable for a fairly unskilled CV player (me for example) to deny and block a more skilled CV player or at least inflict on him/her some serious loses?

Depends on your own and the enemy CV. FDR and Ark have no hope of escaping due to slow planes, Enterprise fighters too are guaranteed to aggro. Not sure about the rest.

The issue is that you can simply evade and force the enemy CV into a tail chase since he needs to drop fighters on top of you, give them a bit of leeway and they should have no trouble escaping.

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this