Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BlueCutlass

Accessing Reserve Commanders

20 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
352 battles

This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but I scrolled the first few pages and didn't see anything specifically mentioning it...

...with the new UI, how can you view your commanders in reserve? 

I can only seem to see commanders of nations for whom I have ships for, but my reserve says it's at capacity and I can't even seem to view them in order to dismiss them thus freeing up room...

Am I just missing something here, or is this a brilliant oversight by Wargaming?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles

To dismiss captains of a nation where you do have a premium ship, you place them on the premium ship, then you can dismiss them.  Putting them on a tech tree ship (that they are not assigned to) requires retraining first (I believe), which means you can't get anything back for them, but can dismiss them.

If you don't have a ship in the tech tree line, you can pick up the tier 1 cruiser of that nation and dismiss them.

If they are on a premium only line (commonwealth or pan EU), you are hosed right now.

Members
14 posts
352 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If you don't have a ship in the tech tree line, you can pick up the tier 1 cruiser of that nation and dismiss them.

If they are on a premium only line (commonwealth or pan EU), you are hosed right now.

Thanks,

Has Wargaming made any kind of announcement to fix this? Because, while that will work, it is SUPER inconvenient... especially if you don't KNOW what nation(s) your reserve commanders are from, and get to play process of elimination with tier 1 cruisers, buying and selling just to check your [edited]reserve.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
1 minute ago, BlueCutlass said:

Thanks,

Has Wargaming made any kind of announcement to fix this? Because, while that will work, it is SUPER inconvenient... especially if you don't KNOW what nation(s) your reserve commanders are from, and get to play process of elimination with tier 1 cruisers, buying and selling just to check your [edited]reserve.

They haven't said anything yet.

I have a Loyang captain I picked up somewhere and don't want to dismiss him because he requires retraining if I put him on the tier 1 cruiser.

Plus I have two Commonwealth captains I can't get rid of without spending cash.

There is a free perth giveaway in the Announcements section, so maybe I will get lucky.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
17 minutes ago, BlueCutlass said:

especially if you don't KNOW what nation(s) your reserve commanders are from

Looking at them and reading their names is often a pretty good clue. Also...

18 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

comm2.jpg

Notice the reserve captain there? It states explicitly the ship to which he is specialized. That is the dead giveaway.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles

The UI needs a LOT of work. They need a tech tree-esk single screen where you can do everything related to captains across all nations.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
352 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Looking at them and reading their names is often a pretty good clue. Also...

Notice the reserve captain there? It states explicitly the ship to which he is specialized. That is the dead giveaway.

Notice how he has an American ship selected and is thus able to view American commanders?

It's pretty hard to read their names when you literally can't even view them because they are from a nation you don't have any ships for at the moment.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
Just now, BlueCutlass said:

It's pretty hard to read their names when you literally can't even view them because they are from a nation you don't have any ships for at the moment.

That raises two questions.

1) Does it even matter?

2) How did you get the captain in the first place?

Members
14 posts
352 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) Does it even matter?

1) because I have no vacant spaces in my reserve and I MIGHT want to dismiss them (I won't know for sure until I see who they are, how many skill points etc.) right now I can't even access them (unless I go through tier 1 cruisers one by one to figure it out)

2) beats me, does THAT matter?

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) Does it even matter?

1.  It may be taking up space in your reserve for a line you are not interested in.

2.  WG hands out captains like candy.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

1.  It may be taking up space in your reserve for a line you are not interested in.

How the heck does anyone just wind up with a Commonwealth captain out of the blue? I only ever had three, and all of them came with ships I either won or bought.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How the heck does anyone just wind up with a Commonwealth captain out of the blue? I only ever had three, and all of them came with ships I either won or bought.

Perth was a weekend loaner that the captain was left in port.

I have no idea how I ever got the Haida captain.  But I got one.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
54 minutes ago, BlueCutlass said:

This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but I scrolled the first few pages and didn't see anything specifically mentioning it...

...with the new UI, how can you view your commanders in reserve? 

I can only seem to see commanders of nations for whom I have ships for, but my reserve says it's at capacity and I can't even seem to view them in order to dismiss them thus freeing up room...

Am I just missing something here, or is this a brilliant oversight by Wargaming?

There is no direct access to your reserve in the new UI, you can only see the captains that could be assigned to a ship you are looking at.  There is no way to manage or modify the guild on a captain who is not assigned to a ship, of the "correct" type. 

This means if you end up with a captain you have no ships for, you cannot do ANYTHING with that captain, not even dismiss or "cash in".  

One of the major flaws in the new UI. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[-HOH-]
Members
17 posts
1,741 battles

Nightmare scenario:

Your reserve is full

you have no ships for the nation those captains belong too

you cannot see which nations those captains belong too as you cannot see your other captains without first selecting a ship you have in port.

maybe somehow all captains in the reserve are from a premium only nation that does not have a free techtree tier 1 ship

even if they are from normal TT nations what happens if you do not have a port slot open for the tier 1 ship? Are we then forced to sell off one of our TT ships to play the tier 1 shuffle game? Do you pay Wargaming $$(spend dubs) because they cant be arsed to include the "see all commanders" function in this rework when the game has had that function for the previous 5 years? 

the playerbase should not have been forced into a situation where the previous three questions (see just above here ^) need to asked at all. 

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
Just now, Capt_MadMan said:

Nightmare scenario:

Your reserve is full

you cannot see which nations those captains belong too as you cannot see your other captains without first selecting a ship you have in port.

maybe somehow all captains in the reserve are from a premium only nation that does not have a free techtree tier 1 ship

even if they are from normal TT nations what happens if you do not have a port slot open for the tier 1 ship? Are we then forced to sell off one of our TT ships to play the tier 1 shuffle game? Do you pay Wargaming $$(spend dubs) because they cant be arsed to include the "see all commanders" function in this rework when the game has had that function for the previous 5 years? 

the playerbase should not have been forced into a situation where the previous three questions (see just above here ^) need to asked at all. 

This is a bad design feature (even if one likes the commander skills).

• Thanks 1

[GRETA]
Members
466 posts
16,674 battles
18 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Not anymore. WG made it so you can play a ship without a captain so they wont give captains away if they can make you buy one. 

[-HOH-]
Members
17 posts
1,741 battles
2 hours ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

You can right click their portrait to dismiss them. No matter if they’re on a ship or in reserve. 

20 hours ago, Capt_MadMan said:

Nightmare scenario:

Your reserve is full

(inserting this for clarity: If you cant select a commander in the first place, then you cannot dismiss them from their portrait. if you have NO ships for the nation that captain is part of, then you CANNOT select that captain, see that captain or do ANYTHING to or with that captain)

See bolded text in quotes :)

[TSF]
Beta Testers
413 posts
15,186 battles

When I first opened the game after the update, I got a page listing all my Captains, even for the ships I sold.  It had provisions to sell them, but I didn't want to take the time to go through it then. I closed out the page thinking I could get back to it, but have found no way to do it now.

Sign in to follow this