You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Hippo

Disappearing ships

20 comments in this topic

[COMRD]
Members
224 posts
5,120 battles

Still have a BIG problem with this. Once they are spotted, they should STAY spotted.

Only in foul weather or great distance could they "disappear".

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,033 posts
20,709 battles

Learn the spotting system. Every ship has a concealment value.

Understanding concealment is the first step in a journey from target to hunter.

• Cool 2

[PHD]
Members
256 posts
8,142 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Hippo said:

Still have a BIG problem with this. Once they are spotted, they should STAY spotted.

Secret Romulan cloaking device!

[FEM]
Members
2,107 posts
17,376 battles

All due respect, by 5k battles you really need to understand the basics of concealment in the game and detection ranges. The game would be wildly different and worse if you could never drop detection

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
12,418 posts
19,686 battles
2 minutes ago, Kebobs22 said:

All due respect, by 5k battles you really need to understand the basics of concealment in the game and detection ranges. The game would be wildly different and worse if you could never drop detection

Half are in other game mods other then Random...

I just think his "understanding" is up to par with the majority... Keep in mind, some people want to believe in other "forces" other then facts.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,839 posts
9,859 battles
25 minutes ago, Admiral_Hippo said:

Do you realise that, if that were the case, you'd get blapped from across the map a lot more often, and DDs would be well-nigh useless, except for Shimas and Gearings slinging torps from the map border?

It never ceases to amaze me the way people will say, "it should be this way", and can only picture how it would benefit them, never giving a single thought as to how they could get the crappy end of the stick.

• Thanks 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,085 posts
11,499 battles

So you’re saying the CV is always spotted ehh? *said Vermont with a smile and dead eye skill*

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,514 posts
4,771 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Understanding concealment is the first step in a journey from target to hunter.

There is a long-standing bug where ships that are right on top of each other lose detection.  IME it's pretty rare nowadays but it does happen.

Members
1 post
684 battles

Ok,

less than 4k away from battle ship, it fires and then disappears.

The weather was clear, no smoke, no clouds etc.

I knew I was going to get sunk, however I let lose with a volley of torpedo's then died.

I stayed with the sinking boat.  I saw the battleship disappear and my torpedo's run on course.  They should have hit the battleship.

After roughly 15 to 20 seconds the battleship re-appeared quite a ways away.

Please don't tell me about concealment.  This was "Phase shifting" to another dimension. 

Nonsense like this makes an otherwise good game dull.

Edited by dcjpco
clarification
  • Cool 1

[HKC]
Members
725 posts
On 1/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, Admiral_Hippo said:

Time to reveal: nothing in this game reflects the reality of how ships operate  or naval warfare. Its an arcade game with its own everything. 

• Cool 3

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,180 battles
7 hours ago, dcjpco said:

Ok,

The weather was clear, no smoke, no clouds etc.

I knew I was going to get sunk, however I let lose with a volley of torpedo's then died.

I stayed with the sinking boat.  I saw the battleship disappear and my torpedo's run on course.  They should have hit the battleship.

After roughly 15 to 20 seconds the battleship re-appeared quite a ways away.

Please don't tell me about concealment.  This was "Phase shifting" to another dimension. 

Nonsense like this makes an otherwise good game dull.

the replay will help figure out what is happening before you died.

After you died, well, you cant see anything and are relying on your living comrades to spot 

• Cool 1

[WKY04]
Members
629 posts
12,592 battles
3 hours ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Time to reveal: nothing in this game reflects the reality of how ships operate  or naval warfare. Its an arcade game with its own everything. 

Even bigger reveal: this is a vision control game with a water vessel theme.

Members
472 posts
2,839 battles

The spotting system is an abstraction. Permaspotting would destroy entire classes of vessels. Mainly DDs and cruisers. 

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
On 1/25/2021 at 11:21 AM, Skpstr said:

it never ceases to amaze me the way people will say, "it should be this way", and can only picture how it would benefit them, never giving a single thought as to how they could get the crappy end of the stick.

This. All week and twice on Tuesday.  So many requests for "gameplay changes" on this damn forum are completely self serving to someone's own playstyle/preferred ship type.  I mostly play BB's, you bet your rear end I would like it if ships were "perma spotted" once they get spotted for the first time. No more getting harassed by DDs, cruisers forced to flash broadside in full view more often.  I'm getting all tingly.

I wouldn't like it at all in my Atago or Zao though, lol.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
8 hours ago, dcjpco said:

There is literally no ship in the game that can attain a sub 4k detectability.  You are exaggerating.  Or you could just post the replay, but nobody that makes outlandish claims ever does.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,839 posts
9,859 battles
16 minutes ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

This. All week and twice on Tuesday.  So many requests for "gameplay changes" on this damn forum are completely self serving to someone's own playstyle/preferred ship type.  I mostly play BB's, you bet your rear end I would like it if ships were "perma spotted" once they get spotted for the first time. No more getting harassed by DDs, cruisers forced to flash broadside in full view more often.  I'm getting all tingly.

I'd hate it. The enemy would get the same benefit as having a DD deep in the backfield, without having to keep it there. Forget about going dark if you've been HE spammed, and need to run away and pop a couple heals to get back into action.

[CUDA]
Members
252 posts
7,775 battles

If you are in smoke and they stop shooting and no one else on your team is spotting them they'll disappear. The concealment rules were designed to keep destroyers competitive, not make them win the game. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,514 posts
4,771 battles
4 hours ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

There is literally no ship in the game that can attain a sub 4k detectability.  You are exaggerating.  Or you could just post the replay, but nobody that makes outlandish claims ever does. 

You're missing the point.  IT'S A BUG.  I've seen it too.