You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zenn3k

FDR is actually awful.

18 comments in this topic

[-BUI-]
Members
2,517 posts
6,742 battles

I for the life of me cannot make this thing work.    I do pretty well in basically any CV I play, sometimes it takes a few games to get specific drop timings down, but overall, I generally do well and can even influence a game enough that I can pull wins where we should have probably lost...however, with FDR, I can't.

The planes are incredibly slow for T10, basically on par with Ark Royal in terms of time to target, this makes it hard to take advantage of situations as you arrive late to the party.

The 25 second drop delay is a LOT of down time between attacks that you have to spend running out of AA range as to not waste planes needlessly, if your target dies as you are approaching, you waste a LOT of time.     Other CVs can get in almost twice as many attacks as you can in a given game.

The damage is lackluster.   I hit a Halland with 3 torpedoes (it was nearly full health) and it survived.   The rockets are incredibly easy to mitigate and the bombs are very easy for a DD to dodge as there is a 5 second delay between drop and impact.    The damage definitely does not make up for the 25 second delay, lack of heal, and slow planes.

I've tried and tried to make this thing work, but my damage seems simply insignificant because of how slow it is.    I'd much rather use a Midway at this point, its much more consistent and most importantly, can actually do something against DDs, which is something FDR greatly struggles with.   

FDR is ONLY good for beating up on BBs, beyond that, its actually pretty bad.   Considering how much steel is cost me, I've been VERY disappointed with it.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,703 posts
12,500 battles

Practice with the torpedo planes..  Watch one constantly land full waves of torpedoes on Thunderers.   Since CV are all about getting damage these days.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,517 posts
6,742 battles
Just now, Nachoo31 said:

Practice with the torpedo planes..  Watch one constantly land full waves of torpedoes on Thunderers.

Yeah, I've been okay with those, but the damage is still rather low IMO, even hitting all 8 seems to result in rather MEH damage, barely more than Midway would do with 6.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
43 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I for the life of me cannot make this thing work.    I do pretty well in basically any CV I play, sometimes it takes a few games to get specific drop timings down, but overall, I generally do well and can even influence a game enough that I can pull wins where we should have probably lost...however, with FDR, I can't.

The planes are incredibly slow for T10, basically on par with Ark Royal in terms of time to target, this makes it hard to take advantage of situations as you arrive late to the party.

The 25 second drop delay is a LOT of down time between attacks that you have to spend running out of AA range as to not waste planes needlessly, if your target dies as you are approaching, you waste a LOT of time.     Other CVs can get in almost twice as many attacks as you can in a given game.

The damage is lackluster.   I hit a Halland with 3 torpedoes (it was nearly full health) and it survived.   The rockets are incredibly easy to mitigate and the bombs are very easy for a DD to dodge as there is a 5 second delay between drop and impact.    The damage definitely does not make up for the 25 second delay, lack of heal, and slow planes.

I've tried and tried to make this thing work, but my damage seems simply insignificant because of how slow it is.    I'd much rather use a Midway at this point, its much more consistent and most importantly, can actually do something against DDs, which is something FDR greatly struggles with.   

FDR is ONLY good for beating up on BBs, beyond that, its actually pretty bad.   Considering how much steel is cost me, I've been VERY disappointed with it.

Go watch this video seven times:

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,517 posts
6,742 battles
20 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Go watch this video seven times:

Appreciate your effort, however this didn't teach me anything I didn't already know.    I know all about and myself use, the torpedo aiming thing, the torps are IMO the only good thing about the FDR at all, and even still, its only good against BBs as I mentioned.    You see that cruiser easily dodge a full spread?   Cruisers can dodge basically everything with ease, I haven't been able to get a broadside cruisers with my rockets in like 2 weeks, they always turn 90 degrees and I hit like 8 rockets and I feel like I just wasted my life, same with the carpet bombers, just a little turn and more than half WILL miss.     

My issue as well, as this fellow alludes too, if the game does south quickly, you do poorly, FDR wants the game to go long...but my teammates are too busy suiciding in the first 5 minutes and i end up with like 70k damage and the last alive having taken off from my carrier like twice.   

For all the drawbacks this thing has, it should honestly hit even harder than it does now.

Currently, it hits AS hard as Midway, attacks half as many times, and cannot properly hunt DDs.   I simply don't see the point.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,730 posts
4,263 battles

Yeah, the people saying FDR is OP never played her (or are good enough that they're OP in all CVs). FDR clobbers bad players, especially BBs. But try and hit a DD? Good luck if he's halfway competent.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,667 posts
17,446 battles

She does not have agility in her plains. I think that what she basically is the ultimate sucker punch CV think that  your best chance of doing really well in her is going to be looking for ships that are not quite being able to pay attention and then almost dev  strike them with your awesome alpha strike

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,430 posts
22,575 battles
3 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

Hindy, AA sector reinforcement skill....

An FDR's 3 rocket passes took me to half health, killed 2 torp launchers and knocked my AA to 76%....

My fighter did nothing.

Bbs took me to 10k health...

Retreated and healed back up to half health...

His torpedoes finished me off.....

• Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,517 posts
6,742 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

Hindy, AA sector reinforcement skill....

An FDR's 3 rocket passes took me to half health, killed 2 torp launchers and knocked my AA to 76%....

My fighter did nothing.

Bbs took me to 10k health...

Retreated and healed back up to half health...

His torpedoes finished me off.....

3 passes of rockets takes 75 seconds + actual attack time (lets say an additional 5 seconds)...so 90 seconds.    If you couldn't turn your bow to the planes over 90 seconds, thats really on you.

Why did your fighter do nothing?  FDR suffers from fighters more than any other CV.   Don't tell me it didn't lock on, cause thats hogwash if he hovered over you long enough to strike 3 times.

You are either embellishing wildly or just lying.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,430 posts
22,575 battles
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

3 passes of rockets takes 75 seconds + actual attack time (lets say an additional 5 seconds)...so 90 seconds.    If you couldn't turn your bow to the planes over 90 seconds, thats really on you.

Why did your fighter do nothing?  FDR suffers from fighters more than any other CV.   Don't tell me it didn't lock on, cause thats hogwash if he hovered over you long enough to strike 3 times.

You are either embellishing wildly or just lying.

He didn't hover.

The last pass i turned into them took 5k 1 fire and a bb citadel....

When FDR first came out for CB, the 1st 2 we ran into were terrible so we thought no big deal....

The 3rd one was a very good player... we learned the power of FDR.

It's like any other CV, well played it wrecks, poorly played u just say there was a cv?

[GRETA]
Members
1,347 posts
10,469 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, the people saying FDR is OP never played her (or are good enough that they're OP in all CVs). FDR clobbers bad players, especially BBs. But try and hit a DD? Good luck if he's halfway competent.

This could pretty much be said for any/all CV's.  The FDR can be insanely powerful if ships spread out and the red CV does not provide fighter cover.  On the other hand if ships stack, they all have and use fighter consumables and the red CV is good at placing fighters, the FDR gets basically neutered.  I have had games with 200k+ 4 kills and in the same night had sub 80k games with zero kills.  As with most CV how well you can do is directly dependent on how bad the red players are at countering you but with the FDR is is very much exaggerated in my experience. 

The ability to land ordinance is actually one of the least important but required skills a CV captain needs.  The ability to read the mini map and predict what ships will be isolated enough or distracted as well as knowing where you damage is most influential for the match is where the great CV players shine.  I think a lot of people hop in a cv and head to co op.  They see how easy it is to land full spreads of torps/rockets/bombs on bots sailing in a straight  line and assume that is all the skill required so they must be too easy.  In reality they would be deplaned in the first 5 min of their first T10 match in a T8 CV because the lack the very important above mentioned skills.

[PSV]
WoWS Community Contributors
45 posts
4,426 battles

FDR is mainly a clan battles ship due to how well you can abuse DCP and focus fire through coordination. The weakness of FDR is luck of strikes per minute and slow speed which makes it hard for the carrier to get any perfect angles off compared to other carriers. This is fixed in CB because of how "locked" in position ships are and also how easily you can abuse DCP. You're weak against DDs and some Cruisers but nail BBs and CVs extremely hard if they let you. 

In randoms and ranked, it's tragic. You either division as ships who can control the pace or get extremely lucky with the mm and potatoes giving you the perfect drops.

I noticed my video was linked above. It shows how weak of an impact you have on the situation where it starts to get really close to a loss. If the team falls apart, you really struggle to bring it back.

If you want to play it in randoms, go in a division with control ships. Thunderer and Smaland is extremely dirty with a CV. 

Edited by ReimuBakarei
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LUJSV]
Members
996 posts
34,551 battles

It is very true, the FDR planes are very slow and waiting 25 seconds is a long time for a second attack and when you wait you lose the entire squadron to the OP AA that have the cruisers and many destroyers, they do not have Health, their fighters do not have aircraft attack support.

The FDR is useless to hunt A destroyers, only spoof and losing your planes while DD rips them to pieces.

• Funny 1

[LUJSV]
Members
996 posts
34,551 battles
On 1/27/2021 at 4:08 PM, ReimuBakarei said:

FDR is mainly a clan battles ship due to how well you can abuse DCP and focus fire through coordination. The weakness of FDR is luck of strikes per minute and slow speed which makes it hard for the carrier to get any perfect angles off compared to other carriers. This is fixed in CB because of how "locked" in position ships are and also how easily you can abuse DCP. You're weak against DDs and some Cruisers but nail BBs and CVs extremely hard if they let you. 

In randoms and ranked, it's tragic. You either division as ships who can control the pace or get extremely lucky with the mm and potatoes giving you the perfect drops.

I noticed my video was linked above. It shows how weak of an impact you have on the situation where it starts to get really close to a loss. If the team falls apart, you really struggle to bring it back.

If you want to play it in randoms, go in a division with control ships. Thunderer and Smaland is extremely dirty with a CV. 

the FDR is Useless for Ranked , better is Audacious, Your use FDR and loser the Battle and end you GET -3 points KARMA and your team finish  hate you. as I say the FRD is USELESS for hunt DD, the Cruiser EATs your planes in 10 Secons with AA + DFAA, and the BB you can only HIt next you run fast becuase you planes is donw AA per 25 seconds.

Edited by rafael_azuaje

[LUJSV]
Members
996 posts
34,551 battles
On 1/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, Zenn3k said:

You have all the raon and I support you, the FDR planes need to be improved a little, reducing at least half the time to attack again from 25 seconds to 12.5 or 18 seconds. to Captain Willians Hasley Add Passive skills to CV, he has none. and check the Other Legend Captains of Other Nations And now if they have.

• Haha 1

Alpha Tester
1,095 posts

I tried to tell someone that there were actually counters vs FDR but they didn’t want to hear it.