Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
John370

Georgia Help?

27 comments in this topic

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles

Has anyone been able to make their Georgia work since the changes? I've played 15 games over the past week, losing 10, with a PR half of what it had been over 250+ games prior to 10.0. This ship used to be fun, and now it's a nightmare. I just lost a battle where my secondaries fired 78 times, and hit exactly once - and that's with me using long range secondary skill, improved aiming skill (the old man secs) and a flag. 1 for 78? Of course, I only fired 78 times as I've lost trust in my secondaries, so I don't close the way I did before.  I'd welcome any help or suggestions, as this has become pretty frustrating.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,841 posts
9,872 battles

Run Deadeye and CE, and use any upgrade modules that boost dispersion, get rid of secondary skills and upgrades.

• Cool 2

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles
10 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Run Deadeye and CE, and use any upgrade modules that boost dispersion, get rid of secondary skills and upgrades.

thanks. In other words turn it into a six-gun sniper. We'll see how that goes, although, if that's going to be the playstyle I think I might be better off playing a different ship that was designed as a straight-up sniper?

[VAST_]
Members
154 posts
4,961 battles

I can 2nd what Skpstr says above. Georgia hits pretty hard when it hits, which it does a lot more often with deadeye and the appropriate equipment/skills.

I liked it much better pre-rebork mind you. But it is not now a trash boat by any means.

Skill rebork delenda est.

Edited by CapnCazuul
  • Thanks 2

[RLGN]
Members
15,468 posts
27,172 battles
48 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

No?

Fortunately I played my minimum 5 PVP in Georgia in Randoms before this skill rework mess. Now I never have to waste time doing so again.

• Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,841 posts
9,872 battles
23 minutes ago, John370 said:

thanks. In other words turn it into a six-gun sniper. We'll see how that goes, although, if that's going to be the playstyle I think I might be better off playing a different ship that was designed as a straight-up sniper?

That depends on how well you can take advantage of 457mm guns, almost 40knt speed, and super quick heal, using a sniping playstyle.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,841 posts
9,872 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No?

So how would you suggest he improves his success in Georgia, since that was the question?

• Boring 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
182 posts
4,384 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I think it makes her better than she has ever been. Though admittedly I never liked her much before in comparison to Mass. Those 457s get absolutely ridiculous groupings now. You can lurk in the mid-range...or drop back and snipe as you wish. Your deadeye is usually going to be up either way. That speed is a huge asset for positioning and disengaging...dodging yammy and thunderer shells...There's alot out there able to remove HP from her quickly is the main downside.

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles
16 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That depends on how well you can take advantage of 457mm guns, almost 40knt speed, and super quick heal, using a sniping playstyle.

One game in with the new specs. A lot of ricochets firing at 17-21kms. Mind you it was epicentre, and I struggle with that scenario. we'll see if I have the patience to adjust my playstyle in this ship, or if I just play a different ship that didn't get borked.

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles
3 minutes ago, Almedius said:

I think it makes her better than she has ever been. Though admittedly I never liked her much before in comparison to Mass. Those 457s get absolutely ridiculous groupings now. You can lurk in the mid-range...or drop back and snipe as you wish. Your deadeye is usually going to be up either way. That speed is a huge asset for positioning and disengaging...dodging yammy and thunderer shells...There's alot out there able to remove HP from her quickly is the main downside.

• Thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen that 'better' yet, and I've had deadeye on for a few matches.  I think a good part of the problem is that with only 6 rounds in the air, the aim need to be on, regardless of dispersion, and my aim isn't close to being unicum level. Even before, I found Georgia's 457's didnt gen pens on angled Russian ships they way say Thunderer's do.   Part of the attraction in getting Georgia as my first coal ship was Littlewhitemouse's review that noted she had a Casual skill floor.  I don't think that's the case anymore. I had a Kraken just 10 days ago in Georgia, but I have no confidence right now I'll get another. I'll give it some time, as she still generates boffo credits, but I may ultimately switch to a ship that has a lower skill floor.  

[WOLFG]
Members
31,841 posts
9,872 battles
45 minutes ago, John370 said:

One game in with the new specs. A lot of ricochets firing at 17-21kms. Mind you it was epicentre, and I struggle with that scenario.

That just means you need to improve your aim, or you had bad RNG. If 457mm shells are bouncing, there's only three ships with bigger guns.

we'll see if I have the patience to adjust my playstyle in this ship, or if I just play a different ship that didn't get borked.

From what you said above, it's not so much the ship, but the sniping playstyle that you need to adjust to.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

That just means you need to improve your aim, or you had bad RNG. If 457mm shells are bouncing, there's only three ships with bigger guns.

From what you said above, it's not so much the ship, but the sniping playstyle that you need to adjust to.

Absolutely it's the sniping playstyle I seem to be struggling with - I have a winning record in Bismarck for example. and with some of the sniping BBs I'm below 40%.  I recognize the merit to what you're suggesting but I think I was hoping there was someone who could help me make this ship work playing in a similar style that that I had some success with beforehand.  If I wanted to snipe, I'd have got the Thunderer rather than Georgia back then. But if that's the only way to have success I'll have to adapt or continue to lose.  I guess Pommern won't be my next coal ship.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
182 posts
4,384 battles
7 minutes ago, John370 said:

Absolutely it's the sniping playstyle I seem to be struggling with - I have a winning record in Bismarck for example. and with some of the sniping BBs I'm below 40%.  I recognize the merit to what you're suggesting but I think I was hoping there was someone who could help me make this ship work playing in a similar style that that I had some success with beforehand.  If I wanted to snipe, I'd have got the Thunderer rather than Georgia back then. But if that's the only way to have success I'll have to adapt or continue to lose.  I guess Pommern won't be my next coal ship.

I think we just have to cross our fingers and hope a buff to secondaries and a nerf to deadeye is coming soon. I know I'm done trying to make brawling BBs work until then.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,523 posts
6,761 battles
3 hours ago, John370 said:

Has anyone been able to make their Georgia work since the changes? I've played 15 games over the past week, losing 10, with a PR half of what it had been over 250+ games prior to 10.0. This ship used to be fun, and now it's a nightmare. I just lost a battle where my secondaries fired 78 times, and hit exactly once - and that's with me using long range secondary skill, improved aiming skill (the old man secs) and a flag. 1 for 78? Of course, I only fired 78 times as I've lost trust in my secondaries, so I don't close the way I did before.  I'd welcome any help or suggestions, as this has become pretty frustrating.

Answer is to give up on secondaries, they went from "fun memey build that works pretty well" to totally useless.

• Thanks 2

Members
5,597 posts
10,841 battles

I play it exactly the same and have no issues.  I even got 3 Close Quarter Experts in one game... 

Georgia secondaries.PNG

World of Warships - Georgia - 197250.PNG

Edited by CylonRed
  • Cool 1

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles
40 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I play it exactly the same and have no issues.  I even got 3 Close Quarter Experts in one game... 

Georgia secondaries.PNG

Thanks.  You seem to be a pretty good player.  My problem is that I'm not above average or exceptional like you, so when I play Georgia the way I did before, it has been a disaster. I'm just looking to get back to where I was before everything changed. How does someone with what used to be an average PR in Georgia get back to being able to do that again rather than getting a string of games where the PR is hovering around 600?

[F4E]
Members
310 posts
6,262 battles
54 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Georgia secondaries.PNG

First off, having one good game doesn't mean anything.  It is a good game though, grats!

Second, though you got some CQC kills, 10.5 k damage on your 200K damage game doesn't exactly sing a chorus of endorsement that the secondary guns/build is in any way useful.

Sure they are fun, and they did manage to get 3 kills with only 10K damage, but I doubt you can count on getting a lot of CQC kills with such a small % of your damage coming from the secondary guns.

If anything this shows how the main guns are the star of the ship again, and the secondary guns are quite secondary (pun intended) and only useful for a couple lucky hits.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
5,597 posts
10,841 battles
3 minutes ago, Glamorboy said:

First off, having one good game doesn't mean anything.  It is a good game though, grats!

Second, though you got some CQC kills, 10.5 k damage on your 200K damage game doesn't exactly sing a chorus of endorsement that the secondary guns/build is in any way useful.

Sure they are fun, and they did manage to get 3 kills with only 10K damage, but I doubt you can count on getting a lot of CQC kills with such a small % of your damage coming from the secondary guns.

If anything this shows how the main guns are the star of the ship again, and the secondary guns are quite secondary (pun intended) and only useful for a couple lucky hits.

I have had other games that got CQC - the game play, for me, is the same.  Secondaries being peddled as "useless" is totally incorrect (been said in the forums several times and that they can't hit DDs) and I have been meled by some of them as well.

Members
5,597 posts
10,841 battles
20 minutes ago, John370 said:

Thanks.  You seem to be a pretty good player.  My problem is that I'm not above average or exceptional like you, so when I play Georgia the way I did before, it has been a disaster. I'm just looking to get back to where I was before everything changed. How does someone with what used to be an average PR in Georgia get back to being able to do that again rather than getting a string of games where the PR is hovering around 600?

I am an average player...

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
659 posts
7,830 battles
5 hours ago, CapnCazuul said:

Skill rebork delenda est.

May it join Carthago.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
574 posts
5,040 battles

This thread hurts my soul. Glad I got to enjoy my Georgia secondary play style while it lasted. I absolutely loved supporting my DDs when the opportunities arose mid-game.

Sniping, I was never able to hit anything with any ship.

• Cool 1

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles
10 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I have had other games that got CQC - the game play, for me, is the same.  Secondaries being peddled as "useless" is totally incorrect (been said in the forums several times and that they can't hit DDs) and I have been meled by some of them as well.

I don't doubt you've had a few games with CQC - scores like the one you posted aren't usually a complete aberration.  But my problem is that while Georgia works for you, playing as you did before, it hasn't worked for me.  When I had good games in Georgia, my secondaries did a far higher percentage of damage than you showed there.  They're not useless, they just hit less frequently (my original post noted 1 hit for 78 shots...).  Perhaps this is simply a case where a ship that used to have a casual skill floor, and could win regularly in average hands, now requires more skill? If that's the case, I either get better aim, or find a new ship that is as forgiving as Georgia used to be?

[BNRJ]
Members
147 posts
6,113 battles

I felt I was average too, until a week ago, but the skill rework has obviously revealed my limitations, as I can't seem to get anything going - and I asked the Georgia question as this used to be my go-to ship to stop a losing streak.  Now, I rolled it out yesterday and lost five in a row. two games today, 600 PR, and I used to be average there. How do you have your Georgia spec'd?

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
659 posts
7,830 battles
56 minutes ago, John370 said:

I felt I was average too, until a week ago, but the skill rework has obviously revealed my limitations, as I can't seem to get anything going - and I asked the Georgia question as this used to be my go-to ship to stop a losing streak.  Now, I rolled it out yesterday and lost five in a row. two games today, 600 PR, and I used to be average there. How do you have your Georgia spec'd?

I bought her recently, and hadn't taken her out before the rebork.

After D-Day I took her out in a random and had a good result, then tried ranked and went 1 of 5.

All of this was secondary specced. It's a turd now when specced that way, so my recommendation is the same as almost every other BB in the game now, at 10 points get Deadeye, at 14 get CE, at 18 get either FP or the extra heal. Stay beyond your concealment whenever able, don't push.

Welcome to hell.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
912 posts
4,543 battles
1 hour ago, CylonRed said:

No offense, but try saying that when using battleships WITHOUT "improved secondaries dispersion". You'll change your tune a little bit. Secondaries accuracy has been absolutely trashed though with this new update, and as such, it affects all secondaries builds. Improved Secondary Battery Aiming skill NEEDS to be buffed to -50% from -35%, at the very least. And Dead Eye is just too good in its current state.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this