Sign in to follow this  
Shadowrigger1

Role of the Pan Euro DD's

10 comments in this topic

[ADR]
Members
4,505 posts
16,864 battles

So far,  all I can tell about these ships is they are just Piñatas for the Red Team.   Pan EU DDs serve absolutely no role in the game that I have seen thus far, I'm at the Skane.  Own the Smalland (leaving this DD out until I figure out how to use it properly)

1. The ships are slow, not dangerously slow, but they are middle of the road, nothing special.

2.  Guns are slow rotating  excluding any close in knife fighting at T7 and lower,  don' t know about T8 yet

3.  No smoke,  can't hide and retreat from the enemy

4. Concealment range is trash for cap contesting.

5. Gun range is abysmal forcing you into close range with bad conceal and no smoke and slow speed.

6. torps are so very weak,   they have fast reload but if you need 50 torps to sink a Damn BB there is very little use other than being annoying.

7. Turn radius and acceleration is large and slow

These Ships are just crap. going along a line that is garbage until you get to T10 is a joke in my opinion.   Someone fill me in on what the role of these DDs are supposed to be and just how well you have managed to fill that role.

[USCG]
Members
737 posts
22,555 battles

Hang in there, things will get better with Oland. Use your long range/high speed  torps. Don’t forget you have a heal as well. Stay back a bit and wait for things to develop some. If you rush into a cap you won’t be around long. Slow down...

[FEM]
Members
2,107 posts
17,376 battles

Starting at the you get AA that's actually useful and your low damage high speed torps improve in their effectiveness, plus the heal. I actually really enjoyed Oland, oyster goat Land, and halland

[RLGN]
Members
15,505 posts
27,211 battles

Or just buy Friesland, play your Blyskawica as well, and ignore the rest.

[NG-NL]
Members
380 posts
10,325 battles

This line is certainly a different playstyle than other DDs in the game.

Öland has much better guns than Skåne. Same torpedoes, but I felt so much better with the guns.

Weapons tl;dr: Cause damage-over-time.

Torpedoes: use these to score hits and to control red ships. They're not instant-damage things like Japanese torpedoes are. Instead, use them to cause floods. Most players will use Damage Control Party on that flood, and then you stack fires. (If they can't repair the flood...well done you!)
Also, most players will try to avoid incoming torpedoes, especially if there's a chance they are not European torps. You get the same deterrent effect.
Finally, don't hesitate to torp into smoke. Those Swedish Fish are really difficult to dodge, and they'll cut someone's game short.

Guns: you're right, this isn't a knife-fighter. Your guns are higher velocity than US DDs, which means you can fight at a longer range than they can. Your guns are stronger than torpedo-centered DDs like Japanese or Pan-Asian, so you can take them down and then heal back from the trade.
To shoot larger ships, I tend to stay near islands. I do fight from open water a bit, at long range. Open water isn't easy, and it helps if you have a lot of captain points and can take Incoming Fire Alert.

And yes, Småland is a different beast. You'll want a different captain. Congrats on getting it while you could!

Edited by imaginary_b

[META_]
Members
204 posts
3,050 battles

1.  Yep, it's the biggest drawback of the line IMO.

2.  They keep the same rotation until Halland unfortunately.  Friesland/Smaland aside, the EU DDs aren't really knife fighters.  They're torpedo boats first

3.  Yup.  You either learn to work with it or you quit the line.

4.  This is true for pretty much every T7 DD thanks to the T8/9 DDs being able to mount the concealment module.  You actually have better base concealment than Oland, Oster, and Halland, and the third-best concealment of the T7 DDs (behind only Gadjah Madha and Shiratsuyu)

5.  Short gun range is actually somewhat of an advantage IMO.  It allows you to isolate fights much more easily.  I actually skip upgrading the gun range on many of my DDs for stealth purposes.  The EU DDs (Friesland/Smaland aside) are torp boats first, and shouldn't be shooting where other people can shoot back if they can at all avoid it.

6.  The torps are fluffy bunny kisses, yes, but they're also fast, which means that you tend to hit a lot more of them.  They're not great vs BBs, but against cruisers and other DDs, they're really strong.  This only gets better at higher tiers.  Ostergotland's torps can hit 95 kts with the right equipment.

7.  Again, not a knife fighter.

[ADR]
Members
4,505 posts
16,864 battles

So, got the Olan, and I can confirm, even though it's better than the others, it's still a piece of crap.  8 teirs of crap compared to other lines.

no smoke, no speed, weak as hell torps, weak guns.   Even  Smaland isn't that good of a ship, I don't know where any of you thought this slow turning tub is really that good.   Slow loading Torps,    Super large turning radius, slow ship.  it's effective against Japanese DDs only because it can fire faster.

Really, just because it has 7.5ish Km Radar doesn't make it a good DD.

[ADR]
Members
4,505 posts
16,864 battles

1st impressions of the Ostergot.  Another whopping POS by Wargaming.  Yes it's T9, just about every T9 in the game is a Massive flop, and this one is really no different

Slow boat that can barely outrun BBs and Most cruisers.

Worthless guns except when fighting a Japanese DD in close  10.3 range guns at T9.  (fine it's a torp boat with weak torps)   and when you do fight a jap dd in close you better hope they have already fired their torps.

Weak torpedoes that only reload fast.

Abysmal turning radius

No smoke

Again, along with a bug I noticed in some of the other EU DDs and I think it's linked to being stock, the firing assist line is dreadfully off,  where I was seeing reversing BBs out pacing the firing solution making the torps  pass in front of their ship.

Port view will show Torps with a 95kn 85, 80 speed, in game, 94.x     84.x 79.x  (perhaps a display bug, code monkeys need to figure that one out.)

I don't think there has been a line made thus far that the entire line has been a pure waste of time like the EU DDs.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

[O_O]
Members
6,958 posts
16,827 battles
On 2/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, Shadowrigger1 said:

1st impressions of the Ostergot.  Another whopping POS by Wargaming.

Run full torpedo build.  Ostergötland's torps run 95 kts...that is a lot of fun in itself.  And, they reload quick.  They hit softly, but honestly I am having a lot of fun with Ostergötland.  I never connected with any of the previous DD's in the line.

[WPORT]
Members
7,841 posts
12,921 battles

I was having hilarious fun with the Tier-3 EU DD this past weekend.
The Tier-2 was okay, too.

When the middle of the EU DD line-up starts to get longer reload times and weaker torpedo warheads, then playing them starts to becoming frustrating for me.

At higher tiers (which I don't have) they're annoyingly formidable AA platforms versus CV's.

Sign in to follow this