You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RoosterNM

Killing the Cruiser Game

63 comments in this topic

[VAF]
Members
15 posts
10,456 battles

Between the special protections for DD's, the destructive capabilities of CV's, the improved accuracy of BB's, it's pretty clear that WG is deliberately setting out to end the cruiser game.  With ANY map I have played, there is NO place that is safe.  If you don't want cruisers in the game, WG, take them off the carousel.  Don't try to be coy about it.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[KSD]
Members
132 posts
8,789 battles

Hard disagree.  Yes, it's harder to play cruisers now in the same way that we could pre-patch, but a well-played cruiser was very strong before -- and they're still strong now.  They're just a little weaker because they have to work a bit harder to do the same things they used to.  A cruiser can't annihilate a newly spotted DD as efficiently as it used to, and it's going to take more damage at range unless dodging like crazy due to deadeye BBs.  CVs will always CV you, so I don't think that dynamic has changed much.  But I think on average cruisers are easier to deal damage to now, so in most situations you'll have to play them a bit more passively. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

Members
472 posts
2,840 battles
2 minutes ago, Ceesa said:

Hard disagree.  Yes, it's harder to play cruisers now in the same way that we could pre-patch, but a well-played cruiser was very strong before -- and they're still strong now.  They're just a little weaker because they have to work a bit harder to do the same things they used to.  A cruiser can't annihilate a newly spotted DD as efficiently as it used to, and it's going to take more damage at range unless dodging like crazy due to deadeye BBs.  CVs will always CV you, so I don't think that dynamic has changed much.  But I think on average cruisers are easier to deal damage to now, so in most situations you'll have to play them a bit more passively. 

You say "Hard disagree," but then you agree with everything the OP is saying. Cruisers need help.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1

[SYJ]
Members
166 posts
16,324 battles

How about instead of all the torpedo buff skills they do one that reduces the time for you to go dark after shooting or the 15 second dispersion skill the DD's get.  I spent all weekend in USA cruisers trying to do the Halsey campaign and just got deleted by BB's anytime I was spotted.  Then the last straw was getting focused by a Kaga while in a Cleveland and getting torped out of the game.  I shot down 24 of his planes but still...   The only USA cruiser that was worth a try was the Alaska.

• Funny 1

Members
3,111 posts
12,478 battles

Some cruisers got screwed more than others, it’s quite plain.  WG found a way to nerf certain super heavy and light cruisers.

• Cool 1

Members
3,111 posts
12,478 battles
8 minutes ago, gatorken said:

The only USA cruiser that was worth a try was the Alaska.

They removed the fire prevention skill from cruisers, but Alaska will burn just as long as BB still.  

• Cool 2

Members
7,021 posts
21,820 battles
36 minutes ago, Ceesa said:

You realize that for your hard disagreeing... you argue that they are indeed harder or as hard on every point you make.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,840 posts
9,859 battles
28 minutes ago, Ceesa said:

But I think on average cruisers are easier to deal damage to now, so in most situations you'll have to play them a bit more passively. 

And why not? CVs are passive, BBs have turned passive, might as well have cruisers be more passive too. Heck, they might as well increase DD concealment by 2-3km, then everybody can play passively.....

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,859 posts
24,410 battles

Cruisers need at least one additional vertical row of skills including equivalents of BFT, AFT, a secondary enhancement, and Fire Prevention. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF9]
Members
183 posts
2,280 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

And why not? CVs are passive, BBs have turned passive, might as well have cruisers be more passive too. Heck, they might as well increase DD concealment by 2-3km, then everybody can play passively.....

Hard disagree and by that I mean I soft agree.

• Funny 1

Members
123 posts
45 minutes ago, Ceesa said:

you'll have to play them a bit more passively. 

How much more frikkin passive can this game get?

Wait, don't answer that.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

The rework has created an odd dichotomy where a select few cruisers can massively benefit from lighthouse builds (the DPM output of a full negative concealment Hindenburg or Henri build is ludicrous), but many other cruisers are suffering massively as the they lose core survivability skills, lack the gun range to even shoot the sniping BBs, and/or don't really benefit from a lot of the new cruiser skills.  The increased accuracy of BBs doesn't help either.

I've been having a blast in the Hindenburg, but I can't even imagine playing some of the more range challenged Tier 8 cruisers on an up tier.  

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,497 posts
16,125 battles
26 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Cruisers need at least one additional vertical row of skills including equivalents of BFT, AFT, a secondary enhancement, and Fire Prevention. 

How about just delete the skill out of the matrix called "Send me Home to Moma" (WG calls it Heavy HE and SAP Shells). Put in place something useful. Send Me Home to Moma increases my Moskva detection range to > 18 km. My gun range is 19.1 km.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
24 minutes ago, yashma said:

The rework has created an odd dichotomy where a select few cruisers can massively benefit from lighthouse builds (the DPM output of a full negative concealment Hindenburg or Henri build is ludicrous), but many other cruisers are suffering massively as the they lose core survivability skills, lack the gun range to even shoot the sniping BBs, and/or don't really benefit from a lot of the new cruiser skills.  The increased accuracy of BBs doesn't help either.

I've been having a blast in the Hindenburg, but I can't even imagine playing some of the more range challenged Tier 8 cruisers on an up tier.  

Watch Wargaming rush to nerf Hindenberg and Henri instead of admitting they screwed up. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
183 posts
2,280 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

Watch Wargaming rush to nerf Hindenberg and Henri instead of admitting they screwed up. 

Nooooooooo ..... I just got the Roon!     Hindenberg is my only hope

• Sad 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,497 posts
16,125 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

My Henri has all the consumable buffs (3 in the skill tree) so the new skill matrix works well for her. Speed boost, reload mains, fighter, damage party, repair all enhanced.

[SALVO]
Members
6,529 posts
5,206 battles
1 hour ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

You say "Hard disagree," but then you agree with everything the OP is saying. Cruisers need help.

1 hour ago, Pura__Vida said:

You realize that for your hard disagreeing... you argue that they are indeed harder or as hard on every point you make.

The OP stated "WG is deliberately setting out to end the cruiser game" which isn't true. Cruiser play is still possible, maybe harder but still viable and necessary. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
7,021 posts
21,820 battles
7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The OP stated "WG is deliberately setting out to end the cruiser game" which isn't true. Cruiser play is still possible, maybe harder but still viable and necessary. 

I wasn't responding to the OP, but to someone else's on his point. I also wasn't/won't wast my time on someone like you who clearly contributes nothing and can't follow simple conversations on a one page thread.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,218 posts
21 minutes ago, SeaCat_ said:

Nooooooooo ..... I just got the Roon!     Hindenberg is my only hope

You will find the Hindy a bit of a Bismarck that had one too many drinks. Its not a BAD ship but not feared either.

[-HUGS]
Members
81 posts
4,258 battles

50 minutes ago, yashma said:

Is this build effective in game with CVs? I mean, Hindenburg already suffers from low range AA, with increased detectability, it should be easier for the enemy CV to keep you spotted by deploying fighters that are out of reach. And with the current snipping BB meta, getting spotted for extended period of time is generally not a good idea.

[SALVO]
Members
6,529 posts
5,206 battles
5 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

I wasn't responding to the OP, but to someone else's on his point. I also wasn't/won't wast my time on someone like you who clearly contributes nothing and can't follow simple conversations on a one page thread.

Since you need everything spelled and predigested to be able to understand, I was backing up @Ceesa´s post as he was addressing the OP.  One thing is cruiser play being a bit harder, another different is "WG is deliberately setting out to end the cruiser game" which is blatantly untrue and the statement I disagree. 

• Meh 2

Members
7,021 posts
21,820 battles
9 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Since you need everything spelled and predigested to be able to understand, I was backing up @Ceesa´s post as he was addressing the OP.  One thing is cruiser play being a bit harder, another different is "WG is deliberately setting out to end the cruiser game" which is blatantly untrue and the statement I disagree. 

I don't care what you say or think. I mistakenly unblocked you, I am fixing that again.

• Funny 2
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,529 posts
5,206 battles
1 hour ago, yashma said:

"lighthouse" builds might be useful to farm damage, but imo they are one trick ponies and lack the flexibility of roles distinctive of cruisers. Are you finding success with them playing solo?

[SALVO]
Members
6,529 posts
5,206 battles
3 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

I don't care what you say or think. I mistakenly unblocked you, I am fixing that again.

:cap_popcorn:... I'll take that as an achievement

• Funny 2
  • Haha 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,097 posts
28,356 battles
9 hours ago, Ceesa said:

So you agree cruisers are weaker now........which I think you are correct on.  The average damage for cruisers will go down imo.  So what does your "hard disagree" mean??