Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

Are all games static?

15 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
452 posts
10,033 battles

Played a few high tier randoms. They were all pretty static with no flow until the end game. Is this a general observation or just me?

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,094 posts
11,548 battles

I would say the early game tends to be passive while people try to figure out positioning and where the enemy is. Not to the point that I don’t enjoy playing them because I do play a fair amount but I would say the early game is more passive than the lower tiers. Mostly because at high tiers it’s much easier to get punished for poor decisions, at the low tiers there are many different characteristics that allow you to get away with poor decisions in positioning or otherwise

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,619 posts

With most sports or competitions, you will notice that watching the novice games has a certain degree of enternment value that watching the pros or elite's does not have.  It has the added value of....chaos.  The novice's game is not advanced and the competition is not as tight.  So you end up with sometimes something that offers it's own flavor of entertainment because crazy stuff often happens...anything might happen.

On the other end of the spectrum, watching the best of the best, is often reserved and conservative.  The actions of the participants are more restrained and....patient.  They know that the first one of them to lose focus and make a mistake, is going to get pounced on in an instant and obliterated.  A mistake in novice competition will often go completely unnoticed in the chaos.  That same mistake on the high end, is sometimes completely game deciding. 

It often becomes a competition of patience, of mental strength first, to see who cracks.  When this happens, often there is very short but sudden violence that results on a decisive victory, even though the rest of the game has to be played out anyway.  It's kind of why championship UFC or boxing matches are often very short affairs.

I am not saying T10 matches in WoWs is equal those examples.  I am saying that you are seeing a little bit of it because when used right, the weapons at T10 will punish hard. Nobody wants to be on the wrong end of a whole mess of them.

• Cool 3

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
411 posts
6,013 battles

I've been playing purely rankeds and battles are literally the same, at least in my experience.

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

Early part of a game in Randoms is pretty stand-offish, except for the occasional moron that thinks their new ship is how sh*t, and ends up getting turned into roadkill by the other team.  That was so years ago and it wouldn't surprise me if it holds true now.  Badly timed pushes always have been punished harshly.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,378 posts
10,471 battles

Mistakes are punished harder at T8-10. All warships, in general, get better stealth, accuracy, and damage. Radar also forces DDs to choose their routes carefully as well as CRs needing to angle, island camp, or otherwise stay alive against the BBs trying for the big numbers.

You can do aggressive shenanigans mid tiers (5-7) and usually get some amusing results. High tiers, it's generally suicide.

As someone that pretty much only plays high tiers, you need to learn to notice minimap, team composition, and therein the flow of battle--and then whether you can influence it.

• Cool 1

Members
3,959 posts
14,386 battles

I was in a game with you earlier today Toxy. Your team just sort of sat mid. My team secured the flanks but then had to collapse in to defend.

shot-21.01.24_22.25.22-0903.jpg

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles
13 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

I was in a game with you earlier today Toxy. Your team just sort of sat mid. My team secured the flanks but then had to collapse in to defend.

shot-21.01.24_22.25.22-0903.jpg

It gets even worse with certain maps inviting Lemming Trains, and then those guys realize they got themselves into a corner and gave up 2/3 of the map to the other team.

I can't imagine the horrors Okinawa does now in Random Battles.  Lemming Train Bait to get teams trapped, long wide open LOS to punish all movement.  There's more maps out there that invite teams getting trapped.  Now the Skill Rebork makes long range shooting deadlier.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Meh 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,894 posts
7,603 battles

I've been noticing players hanging in the back until a few make a move and break through a flank.  Been trying to use smaland a bit more and it seems every time I go to make a move, the players that could provide cover magically ball up behind a rock when needed.  So I switch to CV and start farming tators hanging in the back.  Too few cruisers, everyone wants to sit in the back with a BB, or see how many ships can fit behind a rock in a single square.

Rework is a huge fail promoting everything that was wrong with the typical game play pre-patch.  Not sure what fool decided to reward the game play that everyone continually complained about.  Just had a game where a 3 tator meme thunderer div ended up in the same square trying to drive to the next map with obvious zero success.  If you're guessing they didn't make it to the next map alive, you'd be correct. 

• Boring 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,265 posts
4,765 battles

Played a bunch of T10 today and I have to agree that the games have become even more static in the first few minutes. BBs move only sideways most of the time, unless there is an obvious corner or other position to hold. But with Deadeye most BBs opt to keep the caps at a distance corresponding to their concealment, which on a lot of maps means they don't have to move at all. It is then up to the cruisers and DDs to push and scout, though this is often a very short and harsh fight. The winner in these often is also the winner of the overall match. Pretty boring.

I have however seen a few matches where the teams as a whole pushed into the reds constantly, forming an advancing battle line. If the other team doesn't counter this by aggressive play or can out-trade them with long-range fire (which sometimes is very effective) then the game will end with all the BBs herded at the A/J line and the game timing out or ending with zeroing one of the teams. 

To a certain extent this is people trying out deadeye because they have heard so much about it, though being aggressive in teams that give up caps from the beginning because there isn't a DD in front of them to scout is just not possible. I played 2-3 games in my Thunderer to see what this is about and found it hilariously boring and strong.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,186 battles

I think a post on Reddit put it eloquently. Paraphrased:

Games have one of three outcomes: Both teams snipe until one team is depleted first, one team pushes the caps and then holds there until score reaches 1000, or one team pushes caps, overextends, and dies to the team that’s sitting back.

Is it really that cut and dry? No, but from the games I’ve played so far since the rework went live at top tier, this post isn’t exactly wrong.

[POD]
[POD]
Alpha Tester
60 posts
10,690 battles

Coop games are never static and over faster maybe not as exciting as randoms  but you get them over faster 

Sign in to follow this