Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Why We Can't Have Turrets Locked In Different Directions?

16 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
261 posts

As title says, I was curious as to why ships cannot have turrets aimed and locked in different directions? Like if you wanted to lock your front turrets to fire east and your back turrets to fire west. Can ships in real life do this? 

Edited by Lord_Argus

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,443 posts
13,111 battles
8 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

As title says, I was curious as to why ships cannot have turrets aimed and locked in different directions? Like if you wanted to lock your front turrets to fire east and your back turrets to fire west. Can ships in real life do this? 

Complicating the interface. That's it in a nutshell.

The only thing I wish I could do with my turrets is lock them fore and aft. Mostly so I can avoid the turrets on the end I didn't swing my mouse over traversing the wrong way before they traverse the right way once my mouse crosses ships centerline.

Now, on a historic perspective, many older battleships couldn't actually shoot at more than one target with their main guns accurately, despite having more than one director. In good weather, one director would track the target, and the other director would train out in the direction of the ships roll, and hold at zero degree's of elevation. The triggers would be linked in series, and as such the guns would only fire when both directors had the triggers pulled. The gunner in the main director would pull and hold his trigger when the guns were ready, and he was ready to shoot. The second director would pull the trigger when his crosshairs crossed the horizon, therefor ensuring the ship is on an even keel when firing. Eventually, stable verticals (gyroscopes) could do the same job, but for a long time it was still a very accurate (at least in battleship terms) way to shoot.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
15,513 posts
27,228 battles

@SgtBeltfed had a good real explanation.

I was just going to snark, and just say; ‘That’s a privilege reserved only for bots in Co-op.’

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,308 posts

Complicating the interface my [edited].

What I would love is independant turret control inaddition to Salvo Management by independant shooting barrel one, twos or all of them or some of. Depending on the battle situation at hand.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,633 posts
30 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

@SgtBeltfed had a good real explanation.

I was just going to snark, and just say; ‘That’s a privilege reserved only for bots in Co-op.’

Do the bots in coop actually do it?  I never really paid attention to it.

[_AAM_]
Alpha Tester
487 posts
8,985 battles

Most warships (except for DDs) have fore and aft fire control (FC).  In addition, all turrets can be trained, aimed, and fired manually (called local control.)

I don't know what kind of work it would require to do fore/aft mount control (rather then slaving all the turrets to where the player is looking), but if a player is comfortable with F/A FC, then I say go for it.  After all, how many of us have tried to shoot our way out of a situation where you're outgunned 3 (or more) to 1 (and you're not driving a floating machine gun like an ATL?)

[WKY04]
Members
3,861 posts
24,543 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Complicating the interface. That's it in a nutshell.

The only thing I wish I could do with my turrets is lock them fore and aft. Mostly so I can avoid the turrets on the end I didn't swing my mouse over traversing the wrong way before they traverse the right way once my mouse crosses ships centerline.

Now, on a historic perspective, many older battleships couldn't actually shoot at more than one target with their main guns accurately, despite having more than one director. In good weather, one director would track the target, and the other director would train out in the direction of the ships roll, and hold at zero degree's of elevation. The triggers would be linked in series, and as such the guns would only fire when both directors had the triggers pulled. The gunner in the main director would pull and hold his trigger when the guns were ready, and he was ready to shoot. The second director would pull the trigger when his crosshairs crossed the horizon, therefor ensuring the ship is on an even keel when firing. Eventually, stable verticals (gyroscopes) could do the same job, but for a long time it was still a very accurate (at least in battleship terms) way to shoot.

Thus better seaboats had a higher effective rate of fire compared to their theoretical max if conditions werent glassy.

[WOLF9]
Members
194 posts
2,352 battles

I wouldn't mind just having a lock in place while taking off from the spawn. That way when I get to my first engagement if not where I was expecting it wouldn't take so long to get the rear turret on target.

[SRBL]
Members
539 posts
14,037 battles
10 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

I think a 'ship main battery' hotkey would be helpful. Whenever you hit it it either places the battery in the shipped position or allows mouse control.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,307 posts
19,229 battles
11 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Although it's a pain sometimes, and requires micromanagement of sorts, you can get forward/rear turrets lined up in opposite directions.  I seldom run into the need, but have...when the opportunity presents itself..managed to set up cross engagements.  

[COMRD]
Members
232 posts
5,141 battles

The HMS Nelson seldom fired a full salvo because the deck plates

would shift sheering off the rivets. A bit of useless info.

[HKC]
Members
733 posts

The scenarios where this would be desired would be few.  Finishing off two ships at once at end of game for instance. 

When would you not want to fire everything you have, since half won't hit anyway ? Seldom.

The best way to not sink two ships attacking you is to split your destructive power between them.

[-HOH-]
Members
17 posts
1,741 battles
14 hours ago, Burnsy said:

I have seen it myself, usually near the end of battle. WIthout anything spotted to target a Co-op bot will return their turrets to the start of match position, IE rear guns facing exactly rear and locked, front guns the same way

[_BDA_]
Members
487 posts
7,598 battles
15 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Yes, how else could they possibly be shooting at HMS Shoot-ME one second then blap you from across the map in the next second because you have fewer points?

[_BDA_]
Members
487 posts
7,598 battles
1 hour ago, Viva_Palestine said:

The scenarios where this would be desired would be few.  Finishing off two ships at once at end of game for instance. 

When would you not want to fire everything you have, since half won't hit anyway ? Seldom.

The best way to not sink two ships attacking you is to split your destructive power between them.

Older BBs and cruisers have turrets and gun mounts on both sides of the ship, Nassau for example.  When your mouse is pointed to port, the starboard guns try to track to that side (unsuccessfully, of course).  Having those guns point straight out might be useful in an island rich environment.

Edited by michael_zahnle

Sign in to follow this