You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MetalMatrix

Thanks WG Cruisers are useless now..

42 comments in this topic

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
12 posts

Yep way to go love how now Cruisers and dead after two salvos from a BB. it does not matte which nation it is you get spotted and boom BB salvo on you and if it hits boom 1/2 of HP gone. What is worse is all a DD has to do is spot you for those bb since you will not spot those DD. You may get lucky and have one or two salvo that does not take that much hp but that is rare now. Even when I play my BB I getting more missive hits on Cruisers that it beyond funny. 

GJ on this patch WG on making Cruisers useless. 

• Cool 5
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,772 posts
4,273 battles

Cruisers have always been like that, not a new development. If you took two good salvos from a BB you've always been dead in a cruiser. The trick to cruisers is not getting hit...

• Cool 3
  • Meh 3

Members
1,496 posts

I am a cruiser main I have noticed I don't make it to the #1 slot on my team as often as I used to.

I am still normally in the top 3 though.

Sure I get blapped quite often but if I play any bit of passive I would be last on the team every game.

My primary target is DD's or rapid firing CA/CL's.

Once those are cleared for my teammates I will start against BB's not before.

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
3,289 posts
26,944 battles

Shelving  my Cruisers.......................until WG corrects this CA mess............................ 

[PVE]
Members
10,890 posts
18,799 battles

Well the reset didn't do anything to change Cruisers then.

[VAE]
Members
19 posts
24,849 battles

Meh, no real change from my perspective, only a 50% WR player & not a cruiser main.

Took DM out for a spin to try the new skills, got blapped in 1st few minutes through my own mistake, then took Wooster out for 2 games, 3 kills each game, last game had about 150k dmg from memory (not at my laptop atm so can’t check). Both games full t10 with cv.

Actually liking how some of the skills suit the ships, anecdotally I think my Stalin is more effective now.

[RVNHQ]
Members
373 posts
11,091 battles

Cruiser skills are just lackluster. Not all cruisers have spotter planes or torpedoes.

Also in their attempts to rein in super cruisers they went overboard nuking all survivability skills. If they wanted super cruisers to burn a little more then take away FP and BoS but keep PM.

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
352 posts
8,744 battles
38 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Cruisers have always been like that, not a new development. If you took two good salvos from a BB you've always been dead in a cruiser. The trick to cruisers is not getting hit...

Not true, I been playing since alpha and there used to be a time lone ago that as long as you angled you often would take very little damage. I used to play zao alot untill all the 457's were put into the game.

[SALVO]
Members
26,059 posts
28,849 battles
Just now, EraserNZ1 said:

Not true, I been playing since alpha and there used to be a time lone ago that as long as you angled you often would take very little damage. I used to play zao alot untill all the 457's were put into the game.

I disagree.  I think that @AJTP89 is correct.  Cruisers have always been pretty squishy and vulnerable to dev strikes.  Yes, if you angle well, you can occasionally bounce some BB shells, but it's not an automatic thing. 

• Meh 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
352 posts
8,744 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I disagree.  I think that @AJTP89 is correct.  Cruisers have always been pretty squishy and vulnerable to dev strikes.  Yes, if you angle well, you can occasionally bounce some BB shells, but it's not an automatic thing. 

Try playing a zao these days, the flood of 457's that have entered the game just over match you like crazy angled or not. I can't even remember the last time i seen a zao in a game wonder why.

[SWAMP]
Members
66 posts
15,435 battles

Battleships are pretty much useless now also.  All they do now is hang around the C or H line and snipe.  Even the brawlers don't brawl anymore because if they try to brawl they are b__ch slapped out of existence.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,453 posts
22,695 battles
1 hour ago, MetalMatrix said:

Yep way to go love how now Cruisers and dead after two salvos from a BB. it does not matte which nation it is you get spotted and boom BB salvo on you and if it hits boom 1/2 of HP gone. What is worse is all a DD has to do is spot you for those bb since you will not spot those DD. You may get lucky and have one or two salvo that does not take that much hp but that is rare now. Even when I play my BB I getting more missive hits on Cruisers that it beyond funny. 

My Nvesky was 2nd to last to die....56k dam, 1.2 mil tanked and 200k spotting....

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,098 posts
11,592 battles

Meh, disagree OP. Played even several very fragile cruisers this weekend, Hawkins and Ibuki. Had no trouble being a solid contributor. Cruisers have always required a combo of passive play with opportunistic aggression. Maybe more so now but not noticeable to me if so

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

I don't know yet.

I don't live long enough to make a reasoned gambling choice to try X before BB Y deletes me with incoming shells. Or commit to killing a enemy knowing Red BB will have about 45 seconds of shoot, hit, reload and shoot before I am dead. So hurry up and kill the other Red and you are already late. And MAYBE just maybe the Red BB will be knocked off his pedestal nd go over that one instead.

[SALVO]
Members
26,059 posts
28,849 battles
1 hour ago, EraserNZ1 said:

Try playing a zao these days, the flood of 457's that have entered the game just over match you like crazy angled or not. I can't even remember the last time i seen a zao in a game wonder why.

You're seeing a flood of 18" guns into the game  because for a while, WG refused to add them.  If they'd added them from the beginning at a reasonable pace, we wouldn't have a flood of them now.

[PVE]
Members
5,020 posts
22,111 battles

Wow.  CA are useless as DD were after Update 8.0..........  Look, I'm just a COOP main and gave up PVP a long time ago because PVP went stupid at the Cruiser Line split......

So now, Cruisers suck: DD's have sucked since Update 8.0; and now, BB's are the least of the sucky ships left that are compelled to sit in the back, behind land masses and suck less at range.......

GoD help us............   WAIT !!!  I have an idea..................let's add Submarines cause they can't suck...........cause, they were tested last year and everyone................errrrr, well,...... kinda of sort of, mostly hated them.............and, that means they will be re-introduced soon because we hated them less than we hate what the 457's do to everyone......... 

Ah, this entire game is an out right Pocking mess at the moment; and, I spent all day, not playing this freaking mess and re-opened Fallout 4 for the 63rd time........I couldn't get Privateer to work....  What does that say about this game...........  Good grief.

The really BAD news is that our host simply, doesn't care and won't listen.........  So, join the rest of us that have semi-retired and only play COOP.  Anyone know how to play Privateer in Windows 10?  Gosh, I miss good games of yore.........

PS.  Subs will be back.  If you think things are messed up now................wait till they get back.  As the saying goes: "you ain't seen nothing yet......." 

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,560 posts
6,845 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

When every BB can now put 9-12 shells on a pixel, good luck with that.

I got dev struck, over two salvos, from a Pommern...a 1.5 sigma Pommern...at 20 KM while driving a Mainz, I was maneuvering.    

I literally took my ship list, and checked them all except Cruisers, so I don't even have to look at them, I'll never play a cruiser again if the game remains as it is now.

Edited by Zenn3k

[WKY04]
Members
3,861 posts
24,566 battles

The cruiser skills page needs an additional row of skills at one or each end, 28-32 total instead of 24 as with other ship types, with survival skills and skills for destroyer-caliber cruisers. This would account for the greater diversity of cruisers versus other types. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[X-PN]
Members
1,517 posts
11,992 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

The trick has been to mitigate damage.

I'll give an example of Mainz since I have played that ship alot and I'm above average in it.

One of the things I try to do in Mainz is to isolate to a me vs. a BB at a 12-16km range since it has the DPM and fire chance to do well in that situation.  The thing about Mainz is that since it has 25mm armor is gets overmatched by most BB in it's spread.  It's very unlikely to give up a citadel but it pens quite easily.  Sometimes people miss, but if you are a decent shot you will probably land some shells.  1 or 2 used to normal so about 7-8 k damage.  I could take that trade most of time because at that rate it would take him a long time to get through my health.  Now, landing 4 shells will be more normal if deadeye is active.  It fundamentally changes the equation when I will take 10k+ on most salvos even when I'm angled perfectly.

Members
3,967 posts
14,414 battles

They seem fine to me in randoms. High level clan play may be different. But randoms, I havent been playing much diff, even in losses they still perform.

shot-21.01.25_00.00.33-0978.jpg

shot-21.01.24_23.19.49-0936.jpg

shot-21.01.24_23.00.36-0967.jpg

shot-21.01.24_21.24.59-0900.jpg

shot-21.01.24_20.32.56-0465.jpg

shot-21.01.23_23.14.01-0594.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Banned
141 posts
638 battles
8 hours ago, MetalMatrix said:

show your cruiser build please 

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
12,778 battles

I made Venezia work on ocean just a little while ago, it was rough but doable. In general though taking advantage of islands and ducking from cover to cover is more important than ever.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,209 battles

Cruisers right now need to be played the exact opposite of how they were played prior to the patch. Concealment isn’t really a thing anymore. HIV and Hindenburg full dpm builds absolutely shred ships at the cost of next to no concealment (I’m talking 18 km detection or more on HIV).

[WOLF9]
Members
197 posts
2,356 battles

Good input ....... But we know there's more cruiser play below the T10 level .....right ?

[KSD]
Members
132 posts
8,878 battles

I'm very comfortable in cruisers and I also play them frequently very aggressively. Pre patch, it was common for me to take a big hit while getting into a good position at the start of the match, and then I'd be fine for the rest.  Now that big hit takes off a lot more hp due to deadeye, and it's absolutely having an effect on the quality of my games.  BBs that I used to be able to ignore for being too far away to land accurate fire are now hitting me for nontrivial damage.  Cruisers are going to have to be a lot more cautious now about when they choose to get spotted. 

I also attempted a meme anti-concealment Henri IV build that utterly failed two games in a row because I had no spotting and no one would push into me.  I survived the whole match, but did practically no damage until the very end.  I think it's a build that relies on your team to do things for you, and because of that just isn't going to work in randoms.  Full concealment is still more comfortable.