You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree, 22-24 January 2021

22 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles

Pushed a few captains up a point, started the Gaede regrind (to anticipate the new German DD split). Even had fun in DD battles that had radar cruisers and carriers present.

Oklahoma and Kansas feel better than they used to (without Deadeye, I might add). 

Picked up the Alaska  (with dubs and a coupon) and chose my US 19 pointer over Yamamoto for the 21 point promotion because I now had her.

Took Yamamoto out on the Kaga B this evening and wondered for a minute whether I had made the right choice. Let's face it, though; it was line-ball. 

Limited experience in Randoms suggests that factors other than the skill rework are determining the outcome. Somewhat more extensive experience in Co-Op suggests a lot of fun to be had trying things out in this patch. On Valentine's day I'm just going to zero out the whole lot with the Global Reset and reskill commanders as I play their ships. By that time I'll have a far better idea of how I ought to be setting them up.

Now I just need to dig myself out of the credits crisis I seem to sink myself into regularly.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,094 posts
22,678 battles

Congrats on the Alaska.  I have it but don't play it as much as I should.

@Ensign_Cthulhu - How do you know that the German DD line will split at Gaede?  Did they announce it?  I missed it if they did.

Let's see - I didn't get much accomplished this weekend.

- Played a few Naval Battles - hard to get that 900 BXP in Coop, so I picked a few 300s.

- Bought the Yugumo and Kitakaze (already had them before I reset lines.  Waiting on the new RB bonus in a few weeks.

- Did upgrade the Minsk to the Kiev.  FINALLY done with Minsk.  Not a bad ship, but had to grind it for both T8s.  Took forever.  Maass, Jervis, Vauq, Mada, and Skane all still at T7.  I REALLY don't like smokeless DDs.  And the RN DDs are almost as bad with their short smoke.  Not a fan of DWT torps either, unless you can get past the red DD screen.

- Settled on my 2 BB builds - Secondary and Brawler.  Slight differences.  No deadeye for me.  I like CQC because of the main battery buff.  Also a slight difference for the 'fire' BBs - RN.

- Played around a little with DD builds.  Will probably keep refining and then reset them all and set them up the right way.

- Started looking at Cruiser builds a little.  Will do a little more tomorrow to get those directive tasks done.

- Sold more ships in my fleet (premiums).  Only T5 I have is GC.  Only T6s are Graf Spee, Aosta (I like it for some reason), and the HuangHe (will sell once I get some Journey crates in hopes of getting a BB or a CA).  Fleet is down to 83 ships.  Looking good.

- I looked at tomorrow's tasks - some are going to be ugly - 27 million damage - 70k cap/destroyed in DDs - 6.9 million credits - 118k CXP.  Will take the better part of the week to get these done.

- Also down to 3 million credits.  I need about 3 billion.  Sigh.  Never ends.  And the RM BBs are coming up soon.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
4 minutes ago, kyesac said:

How do you know that the German DD line will split at Gaede?  Did they announce it? 

Logical deduction. They announced the new ships at Tiers 7 through 10; and on the basis of previous experience, the ship at the tier below is the one that has to be ground again. 

On the other hand, all existing battleship lines split off horizontally from the respective cruiser - and that's why I've got more than enough XP sitting on the Alberto di Giussano to unlock the Dante Alighieri the minute she becomes fully available (because for the first time ever, the new Italian BB line isn't getting a T3).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF9]
Members
1,094 posts
22,678 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Logical deduction. They announced the new ships at Tiers 7 through 10; and on the basis of previous experience, the ship at the tier below is the one that has to be ground again. 

Thanks.  I think I will hold off on the Gaede.  I am going through DD overload at the moment, grinding 7 DD lines and will be adding an IJN line once the RB bonus resets.  Looking forward to grinding the RM BBs just to get a break from these little guys.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,694 posts
27,896 battles

The thing about line splits is that WG will offer some sort of early access event.  In the past splits I've ground XP on the tech tree split ship, and have gotten the new ship during the event.  I still have a ton of XP on Colorado, and Shchors, although I did use the XP on Svietlana to get the Kotovsky.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,098 posts
11,592 battles

Pushed Jerzy Swizzlestick and Kuznetsov to 21 as I’m playing them the most in ranked. Could do 2 more but I’m waiting to see. Had a blast in ranked so far.

debating on buying z44 for coal. Curious about her plus I’d like the steel. I think I will wait til the next patch notes to see what new is coming before deciding.

had some great random games all weekend. Actually didn’t lose a game out of 7 or 8 on Sunday and I’m far from a unicum so I’ll stop for the day. Naval battles all finished.

Grinding Minsk (like it), shira and akat (like them) to t8 for the steel bonus. Not sure I’ll get there before patch end so will have to debate Free xp or not later

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
855 posts
7,090 battles

Haven’t logged in since Tues, hoping to hold out until 10.1. and skill reset settles down a bit.  Finishing Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and picked up Scott Pilgrim Vs The World for nostalgia

[RLGN]
Members
15,516 posts
27,239 battles

This and that.

Cleaning up the number of games played mess leftover from x-flakes.

Haven’t actually played much under the new skill yet.

So far, outside blatantly stupid recommendations in some cases, no real issues.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
9 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

The thing about line splits is that WG will offer some sort of early access event.

I know they will, but I'd like to divorce myself from doing those. I need to get better in Randoms and not worry too much about whether I'm fulfilling directives, so I'm putting myself in a position of being able to access the new line immediately on open release. I anticipate that Hizen will be my last dockyard unless something REALLY special turns up. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,678 posts

Didn't play at all.

Haven't even logged on since the patch- just 0 interest in redoing 285 commanders...    In fact, if I bother to play at all I'll likely hit the reset all button- and then completely ignore captain skills altogether.    Not a single credit, doubloon or $ will be spent on it.  I'd sooner dismiss a high point commander and start over from scratch than pay to redo it.

That, and I simply couldn't work up any interest in playing in the stupid, tiresome meta that has developed over the last few months.

So instead, I spent the day yesterday outside splitting firewood enjoying myself.   Got a lot done, lol!    Pro tip: A K-Bar knife is a fantastic tool for splitting kindling.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
613 posts
12,464 battles

Just low key player around this weekend. Took out the IJN tor p boats to finish the spotting mission. If course double CV matches were the norm of the day then.

Tried to set my Siegfried commander skills, but just couldn't do it. Told her crew to prepare her for mothballs she likely won't see service until the next flake event.

[PHD]
Members
223 posts
14,017 battles
10 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

The thing about line splits is that WG will offer some sort of early access event.  In the past splits I've ground XP on the tech tree split ship, and have gotten the new ship during the event.  I still have a ton of XP on Colorado, and Shchors, although I did use the XP on Svietlana to get the Kotovsky.

That's what I'm expecting. When they did the US BB split I got Kansas in early access.

I sure was happy about that. I still haven't managed to grind enough XP for North Carolina and dreaded playing Colorado twice as long to unlock both branches.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
5 minutes ago, Potohto928 said:

dreaded playing Colorado twice as long to unlock both branches.

And yet the Colorado was one of my easiest and most fun regrinds (I got Kansas in early access too, but I didn't begrudge the effort I put in).

The fact that I can love a ship others hate AND VICE VERSA is actually one of the things I really like about this game.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,094 posts
22,678 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The fact that I can love a ship others hate AND VICE VERSA is actually one of the things I really like about this game.

I got a few of those ships as well.  I love my Roma.  I find it an awesome boat to play.  Abruzzi is not a bad boat either.  And the power crept Montana and Blyz.

[BB_B]
Members
86 posts
1,011 battles

Took the weekend off, watched sports.  Got kinda burnt out with the Strassbuorg campaign and the Ships and Fates.  Already zeroed out all my commanders and dismounted all my modules up to tier 9.  Will probably play on Tuesday to get ready for clan battles on Wednesday.

Members
415 posts
15,477 battles

Finally finished the dockyard to get the Hizen.  Played around with my T5-T8 ships in the IJN, US, Russian and KM to get the 'free' doubloons (as I was working on the dockyard tasks).  Set some captain skills.  DDs and cruisers seem pretty straightforward for the 8-12 skills range.  Have not played BB's much (and when I did, left the captain's skills at 0).  Been busy during the week, so only played on the weekend, and then not as much as I would have liked due to RL issues.  See how next weekend goes (another busy workweek, so probably not playing until Friday).

[PVE]
Members
5,020 posts
22,111 battles
2 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Didn't play at all.

Haven't even logged on since the patch- just 0 interest in redoing 285 commanders...    In fact, if I bother to play at all I'll likely hit the reset all button- and then completely ignore captain skills altogether.    Not a single credit, doubloon or $ will be spent on it.  I'd sooner dismiss a high point commander and start over from scratch than pay to redo it.

That, and I simply couldn't work up any interest in playing in the stupid, tiresome meta that has developed over the last few months.

So instead, I spent the day yesterday outside splitting firewood enjoying myself.   Got a lot done, lol!    Pro tip: A K-Bar knife is a fantastic tool for splitting kindling.

I'm with you and I spent a lot of time on the rifle range working on new loads for existing calibers so I can convert all calibers to lead bullets......  On kindling, I had a neighbor with a ten year old Cedar fence he was tearing down !  That lasted a long time and is a great oil wood for kindling !!!  I have a competition style 1/4 inch thick Seax made for just that purpose.....

12 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Pushed a few captains up a point, started the Gaede regrind (to anticipate the new German DD split). Even had fun in DD battles that had radar cruisers and carriers present.

Oklahoma and Kansas feel better than they used to (without Deadeye, I might add). 

Picked up the Alaska  (with dubs and a coupon) and chose my US 19 pointer over Yamamoto for the 21 point promotion because I now had her.

Took Yamamoto out on the Kaga B this evening and wondered for a minute whether I had made the right choice. Let's face it, though; it was line-ball. 

Limited experience in Randoms suggests that factors other than the skill rework are determining the outcome. Somewhat more extensive experience in Co-Op suggests a lot of fun to be had trying things out in this patch. On Valentine's day I'm just going to zero out the whole lot with the Global Reset and reskill commanders as I play their ships. By that time I'll have a far better idea of how I ought to be setting them up.

Now I just need to dig myself out of the credits crisis I seem to sink myself into regularly.

I've simply stopped full time play.  In fact, my old clan and I are divisioning for Scenarios once a week.  I am waiting to sell everything off at the next update.  I'll keep the Premiums and a few TT ships with only 19 or 21 point CPT's. 

Why do anything else?  There is far better use of your time than what is left..........  I have almost 900 million credits.  Almost 2 million FXP and all of my ECXP is gone to create 4, 21 pointers......  Two more to go......and, I am done.

We are all discussing leaving.  There is no point in staying with these changes........... The value; the fun; the challenge of working hard to create new CPT's; it's all gone now........   Time to retire and play a few hours a week to see how much worse it can get....  And, if they add subs back, play them FT in PVP until something shakes loose......  Bleak comments, apologies but, "needs must when the Devil dances......."

[SIM]
Members
5,751 posts
9,263 battles

I mostly played The Order 1886 as part of my effort to explore my gaming backlog this year. Played one battle in my Sinop that resulted in a tension headache over how moronic that my teammates were, and that was enough for me. Between the low quality of play lately and the state of the community, WoWs is very much a tertiary source of entertainment for me at the moment. 

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts

Congrats on the Alaska @Ensign_Cthulhu from the limited amount of time that I've played mine , it seems like a really fun ship.

I played a lot of Tier 7 Randoms over the weekend with Helena (newly acquired) and Fiji , as well as a few Tier 8 in Baltimore (newly acquired) trying out all kinds of different Captains builds, MUCH FUN! 

Happy Sailing!

[WOLFG]
Members
11,640 posts
10,778 battles

Finished Hizen Directive and Lunar New Year on Friday.

Saturday and Sunday just did Yamamoto/Science of Victory missions.

[PHD]
Members
223 posts
14,017 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I agree 100%. Same applies to classes of ships.

I'm not sure if I don't like BBs or they don't like me, but it seems to be taking me longer to research them than cruisers and DDs.

Other than the aforementioned Kansas the only T8 BB I have researched is Bismark, and that was only recently. I'm still at T7 in all the other lines.

But I've got all the cruiser lines up to T8 and half of them to T9.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,082 posts
2,623 battles

Added Kitakaze to my fleet (FINALLY), also added Jaguar, Icarus, and Yahagi. played a few ranked games in a secondary spec Massa and murdered a few DDs. i'm almost broke, only have 1.1 mil credits rn. 

Edit: HOW DID I FORGET??? I also completed science of victory :D

Played about 20 hours of The legend of zelda:Breath of the wild and got the extra DLC (yay!)

Edited by AdmiralFox08