You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TacticalCheeseburger

I see all this hate for Submarines

13 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,645 posts
25,105 battles

Or it could be that players have tried them and found them boring........... Or that some ships are incapable of causing them any damage whatsoever......  

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[DD214]
[DD214]
Beta Testers
3 posts
3,638 battles

Some players may have, but I suspect that most have not ever tried out subs on either test.

Many people just want the sail and shoot game they started with, years ago. That's fine for them, but doesn't lend itself to a longer gaming shelf life. Carriers were implemented, and retooled, and I have fun playing them. Fighting against them is kinda dull (either your AA is phenomenal and they never touch the target, or they always get through). This is better than the previous iteration, however, as SUPER UNICOM players would grind my face in as another CV player, and would determine the outcome of the battle. Some further tweaking would might make it more interesting to fight against, but I think it is OK for now.

Subs, OTOH, are a brand new approach to the battle, forcing more team play, IMO. Playing as a sub and against subs was interesting and fun. The interactions between classes produced interesting results. I may be a bit biased, though, as a former submariner.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,743 posts
14,877 battles
30 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Or it could be that players have tried them and found them boring........... Or that some ships are incapable of causing them any damage whatsoever......  

Not to mention that they don't bring anything new to the game and are functionally slow DD's without guns that can hide from gunfire.

Beta Testers
3,289 posts
26,944 battles
1 hour ago, TacticalCheeseburger said:

And laugh cause anyone crying about them wouldn't have survived a single Match in Navy Field, Steel Ocean or Navy Field 2. 

lmfaoooooo

I enjoyed playing the Subs in both Navy Field and Steel Ocean was a lot of fun.................

[NWO-1]
Members
207 posts
4,428 battles

I liked subs, did well in them, and can't wait for them to be on the live servers.

[RLGN]
Members
15,516 posts
27,239 battles
On 1/24/2021 at 8:33 PM, MollyGodiva said:

I liked subs, did well in them, and can't wait for them to be on the live servers.

I do not, and didn’t. Subs can go to hell and may they never see live.

Didn’t like them the first Halloween.

Didn’t like them slightly revised in the second Halloween version.

Didn’t like them in any of the PTs.

Pretty much never managed to make the controls work. Oversensitive, overcompensating steering, no depth control in any meaningful sense, targeting that’s only useful to someone capable of mental higher math calculations, consciously or unconsciously.

Okay then; the only POSITIVE experience I had in the recent PTs was unmercifully harassing subs trying to cap with Swordfishes from my Ark Royal.

THAT was fun.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2
  • Sad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,645 posts
25,105 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Not to mention that they don't bring anything new to the game and are functionally slow DD's without guns that can hide from gunfire.

I have no real opinion on submarines. Do not care if they are in the game or not. The one thing that bugs the crap out of me is that they are given unrealistic speeds. If I have to plod along in my New York at historic speeds, then so should submarines. That is my only gripe about them. You can not limit ships in the game to their historic or projected speeds and then make submarines essentially rocket powered underwater boats without expecting someone to call you out on that pathetic nonsense. Hell I think even the USS Texas could outrun the fastest submarine in her day and that should be modeled into the game. Buffing sub speed and not ship speed just makes the people designing the game hypocrites. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Beta Testers
194 posts
1,025 battles
On 1/24/2021 at 10:02 PM, Tachnechdorus said:

I enjoyed playing the Subs in both Navy Field and Steel Ocean was a lot of fun.................

Speaking of, did you see Navy Field is getting a resurgence? Over 400 players again and still kind of growing. 

Members
28 posts

The fact they're different games means there is a good chance that the balance and mechanics of WOWS subs will be very different from those other games. I don't get why you're comparing different games, with different ways of handling subs to each other. Seems like the whole point of this thread was to indulge in some misguided sense of superiority over players who don't want subs.

[RANGR]
Members
9 posts
3,311 battles
On 1/24/2021 at 10:47 PM, Taylor3006 said:

If I have to plod along in my New York at historic speeds, then so should submarines. That is my only gripe about them. You can not limit ships in the game to their historic or projected speeds and then make submarines essentially rocket powered underwater boats without expecting someone to call you out on that pathetic nonsense.

Agree with you there. No one expects their recreation to be historically accurate, but when they are faster underwater, players just think, "come ooon..." Why make underwater lurking so powerful? Wouldn't it be a balance opportunity for subs to go faster above water, where they have a longer spotting range but more speed? Smh. Design by committee.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,443 posts
13,111 battles
On 1/24/2021 at 10:08 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Okay then; the only POSITIVE experience I had in the recent PTs was unmercifully harassing subs trying to cap with Swordfishes from my Ark Royal.

THAT was fun.

Good use of an aircraft in one of it's more important historical roles.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
903 posts
4,342 battles
On 1/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, TacticalCheeseburger said:

And laugh cause anyone crying about them wouldn't have survived a single Match in Navy Field, Steel Ocean or Navy Field 2. 

lmfaoooooo

I played NavyField for several years, and the submarines were what drove most of the long-time players away from that game, myself included. The concept was cool but the implementation was horrendous, and it was bad for the game.  NavyField is probably a very good example to cite when trying to justify the addition of submarines to this game, or assuage the concerns of those who are skeptical about adding them to World of Warships.

--Helms