You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

8 comments in this topic

[KILL]
Members
47 posts
21,462 battles

Now that there are more and more invincible cv's being added to the roster maybe it is time to bring back aa ships like the Atlanta and Des Moines of old or give all ships an aa boost? 

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,728 posts
12,318 battles

I think giving the AA skills a slight boost would help. Like instead of 1 flak, adds 33% more flak, rounded up? So 6 -> 8, 5 -> 7. And 33% more auto damage instead of 20%. AA ships should be active denial zones rather than zones of one attempt.

[WOLFA]
Members
850 posts
7,482 battles

I ran my Kidd and Atlanta on a FULL AA build to test and it was completely worthless. Still got struck and lost half of my health in one pass.

WG is not going to fix AA because reasons.

[PISD]
Members
1,809 posts
5,972 battles

AA, by design, will never protect you from strike. What it will (and is doing in some case) is make the cost in plane too high, making either the CV crippled for the rest of the game or making you a poor target. AA skill would still need a buff, but it is better than before.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,697 posts
14,866 battles
1 hour ago, CorradoG60 said:

I ran my Kidd and Atlanta on a FULL AA build to test and it was completely worthless. Still got struck and lost half of my health in one pass.

How many planes did you take out?

43 minutes ago, Karstodes said:

AA, by design, will never protect you from strike. What it will (and is doing in some case) is make the cost in plane too high, making either the CV crippled for the rest of the game or making you a poor target. AA skill would still need a buff, but it is better than before.

This seems to be something that a lot of people do not understand and still expect RTS level AA when only part of the squadron attacks.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,042 posts
28,713 battles
2 hours ago, CorradoG60 said:

I'm not sure that the Atlanta was ever a good AA boat in real life.  Sure, it had a lot of dual purpose 5" turrets, but it was rather lacking in all other types of AA.

And when all's said and done, the Kidd is still just a DD.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,448 posts
1,963 battles

Whilst there are enough designs about for distinct ships, both as premiums and regular ships, as well as optional hull upgrades in a number of cases, the prospect of it has rapidly diminished with time because of the direction that WG has taken new lines (in terms of upgrades & fictional AA fits) and carriers (in general). 

Its a shame, because some of them would be quite fun, like a premium Omaha that looses all of the 6" outside the turrets, and gets 7 5"/38s in return, along with 6 quad 1.1"s and probably some 0.5" MGs for good measure.   

• Cool 1

Members
367 posts
7,570 battles
On 1/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, Crucis said:

I'm not sure that the Atlanta was ever a good AA boat in real life.  Sure, it had a lot of dual purpose 5" turrets, but it was rather lacking in all other types of AA.

And when all's said and done, the Kidd is still just a DD.

The purpose behind such cruisers is not AA for themselves but AA for protecting the Carriers.  The ship itself was unlikely to be attacked by aircraft because the actual target was the Carriers.  This is also how it works in the game with long range AA, its actually not that effective for protecting your own ship but is good for protecting others with overlapping bubbles.  This is due to minimum ranges for flak guns.

Overlapping Flak can still be a very powerful tool that destroys the entire squadron before they can get their weapons off.