You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

PSA: Be careful buying ships now

25 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
1,247 posts
12,995 battles

FYI, below is now apparently the default setting if you buy a ship.  I was buying Richelieu so I could play one coop game and get my snowflake steel.  So, obviously, I wasn't looking to spend 300 doubloons on a port slot and 1500 on a commander.  Just be careful to take a look before you do anything in the game right now.  You have to opt out if you don't want to spend doubloons.

image.thumb.png.bd8477684b11605496c40a993ec33e3b.png

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 11

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
14 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

FYI, below is now apparently the default setting if you buy a ship.  I was buying Richelieu so I could play one coop game and get my snowflake steel.  So, obviously, I wasn't looking to spend 300 doubloons on a port slot and 1500 on a commander.  Just be careful to take a look before you do anything in the game right now.  You have to opt out if you don't want to spend doubloons.

I'm sure it's just a mistake. /s 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

Yup, got a call from a friend about it...They need to reset the game and everything back to PREBORK, do the people who do this even play the game or just sit there thinking of the next scam they can pull off before enough people quit to wake up the higher ups??

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
29 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

Nice catch! I wonder if the always cheap mod fixes this? I havent tried buying a ship since patch.

Members
1,874 posts
27,483 battles

Show them how angry you are! Buy more premium time! Yeah, that'll show'em!

• Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF7]
Members
837 posts
6 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Nice catch! I wonder if the always cheap mod fixes this? I havent tried buying a ship since patch.

I have the "stingy by default" mod in the modstation and those sliders are always "off" for me when buying a tech tree ship. Don't know about premiums.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,021 posts
9,919 battles
59 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

I bought a ship today, and only had to opt out of the commander, but I have about 20 open slots.

[PVE]
Members
10,888 posts
18,786 battles

You had to opt out of the commander and slot previously too. I have over 350 ships I know how it was.

• Cool 4

[WOLF1]
Members
6,041 posts
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You had to opt out of the commander and slot previously too. I have over 350 ships I know how it was.

Yeah, nothing new.  I have 250 ships myself.  

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,888 posts
18,786 battles
3 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

If you choose senior command course and port slot that's 1800 doubloons for a tech tree ship?

WG has no shame at this point. 

Members
961 posts
4,128 battles

Actually that seems a little clearer than the way it used to be.  Wasn't the "with slot" and "with commander" always the default setting?  And yeah, I could easily be misremembering, it has been so very long since I was in need of either port slots or 3 point commanders...so maybe, at best, its just a prettier UI.  That said, too bad that now it's a 10 point commander rather than a 3 point.  Not only is it more costly, but I imagine greener players will think paying 1500 is normal, and that Commanders with less than 10 points are worthless.  

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,042 posts
17,042 battles
1 hour ago, zubalkabir said:

So, obviously, I wasn't looking

No, you weren't looking. Your inattention to detail is to blame for this, and now you're raging and looking to place the blame anywhere but where it belongs.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 6

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,762 posts
4,273 battles
58 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

This, you've always had to decline the port slot and commander. Kind of worried if this is the first time the OP has realized this.

It may just be me, but I feel it's a good idea before clicking buy to double check what you're getting and what you're paying. It only tells you exactly what you're spending. There are cases where WG's UI is lacking, but this particular case is pretty darn clear.

Every time there's a thing like this the main take away I have is there are a seriously worrying amount of people who apparently buy things without taking an instant to double check exactly what they're buying and how much they're spending.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,625 posts
10,762 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I thought this was the case too.  But it never hurts to remind people when so much has changed.

(And I don't think you should have to decline the slot and the commander).

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,888 posts
18,786 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

(And I don't think you should have to decline the slot and the commander).

I have plenty of slots so I never had to decline them, I checked anyway though, always good to check. Make sure your measurements are correct before cutting the lumber.

[WOLFH]
Members
1,234 posts

I take it from this discussion that some people press a "YES" purchase button without taking the time to see what they are buying and how much it costs.

• Boring 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,308 posts

I keep about 30 port slots ready.

The doubloon costs on the OP's ship selection is a minor annoyance. Get out the wallet.

I also have been acquiring ships in the T8 and T9 versions for snowflake steel as well.

[USCC]
Members
3,118 posts
14,656 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, you weren't looking. Your inattention to detail is to blame for this, and now you're raging and looking to place the blame anywhere but where it belongs.

when-something-i-like-turns-out-to-be-a-repost-14563.gif.6d38e002f0f0591353bab10d16dc55ce.gif

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,308 posts
8 hours ago, C14Alpha said:

I take it from this discussion that some people press a "YES" purchase button without taking the time to see what they are buying and how much it costs.

Like a few I remember having bought cars that will need a thousand dollar tune up in about 3000 miles.

[KSD]
Members
132 posts
8,863 battles

This is why I use the "Stingy by Default" mod in Aslain's and Modstation.  It also stops me from accidentally spending 5 dubs/eco flag when I run out, which happened once and I'm still bitter about it.