Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Decoyship

Constructive Feedback on Commander Rework and Other suggestions

10 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
21,478 battles

I have been playing this game for about 20 months as a hobby and to escape the drama at work (only to come to more in the forums LoL). Like many others, I have had a chance to experience the rework and would like to pen down my thoughts on how “better” may look like for the Commander rework with a broad brush.

Commander Rework: 

This rework is an excellent concept with commanders having more access to skills of different ship classes and the increase from 19 to 21 points. The main grief here is the effort to grind to 19 points only to be taken away and the goal post moved to 21 points. I would like to suggest the following:

1)    Distinguish between casual and competitive class: let the 19 point commanders and above earn ECXP. To progress to 20 points, maybe 500k ECXP, 21 points 1M ECXP etc and maybe scale up to 24 or 25 points. For competitive players who have large loads of ECXP, they can increase their commanders’ competitiveness by increasing their total commander points to 20 or more. For the casual, they can use the EXCP to advance their lower level commanders to 19 pointers (or beyond).

2)    Accentuate the value of unique commanders:  The Harsleys, Yamamotos should have access to all 5 ship classes BBs, Cruisers, DDs, CVs and Subs (upcoming). Conversely, the normal commanders can only have access to one ship class i.e. if you recruit your normal commander for cruisers, you can’t move them to a BB or DD or CV but you can move them freely to any premium cruiser and still pay ECXP or grind CXP to advance them from say Tier 6 to tier 7 in the tech tree for Cruisers (similar to the old system of retraining commanders). The other special commanders such as John Does and Dunkirks can have access to 2 ship class say maybe DDs and BB or Cruisers and DDs. It is possible to moneterize these commanders to unlock access to the third or fourth class of ships. For collabs such as Azur lane and Transformers, this ship class access mix and match format will highlight the value of collab commanders other than purely the theme flavor.

Other thoughts:            

A)    CVs:  I think CVs should have only one type of ammo load-out at each time.  To swap from torpedos to HE bombs, it takes about say 90 to 120s just like ammo switching in surface ships but longer and this can be sped up to a certain extent through commander skills. Therefore, CV drivers need to choose their role (and change) in the battle be it be destroyer hunting, taking out capital ships or anti-submarine. Variations in effectiveness of AP bombs or HE bombs, rockets and torpedos differ by nation and the upgrade path on different plane can come in speed, tankiness, spotting etc.  

B)    Spotting mechanics: I think this is the root of all problems in the game-play from campfesting to Deadeye skill and CV spotting.  Like what has been pointed out, the current spotting mechanic encourages passive play. I would like to suggest that if a ship is detected, any vessel within the detected ship’s original surface detectability range will have line of sight to the detected ship and not ships outside its original surface detectability range. For example: a Kagero’s original surface detectability range is 6.84km and a fully kitted out concealment Kagero is around 5.4km. So if a Kagero is detected at 5.4 km or less, all vessels within the 6.84 km range will be able to see it and shoot at it but the BB sitting 10km out can only see the Kagero in the minimap and not in their crosshairs to shoot at it unless they push up. To resume the 5.4 km detectability, the Kagero needs to move out of 6.84km to go dark.  The issue I can foresee with this proposal is the role of BBs being cut to engaging super cruisers and capital ships that have high original surface detectability range (which I really think should be the role of BBs) but this proposal should improve the roles of other surface ships such as cruisers. Some tinkering on the detectability level will be needed. 

I know that these ideas suggested are fairly raw and the details still need to be fleshed out.  Hopefully, some of these ideas can be considered and refined to foster better game play dynamics.

Decoy

• Cool 1

[TAZ]
Members
861 posts

Disagree with the excess of points required, the cash grab from 19 to 21 is ridiculous. The skills for special commander should be just that SPECIAL, meaning they should work for the optimal build.  Currently some special skills can be bypassed because other skills work better on a particular class.

[CAAT]
Members
953 posts
4,557 battles

Constructive Feedback in regards to Battleship Skills in this new Rework:

Buff Improved Secondary Battery Aiming skill from -35% to -50%. Secondaries accuracy has taken a MASSIVE dive, and as such, secondaries build are just not worth running anymore, considering the prevalence of the "Dead Eye meta". A boost to -50% will make secondaries viable for not just battleships with "improved dispersion", but ANY battleship that chooses to try a secondaries build, whether optimal or not. The cost of course, is points. You have to go "all-in" just to make secondaries viable.

Another option that is possibly viable is to maintain the -35% buff, but apply it to BOTH sides firing. I still personally think increasing the accuracy is the way to go, but adding the existing buff to both sides might yield some interesting results...but even in this case, I'd still recommend buffing the skill to at least -40% from -35%.

Buff Grease the Gears to 25% OR restore Expert Marksman (+0.7 deg/s). Unfortunately, due to the way Grease the Gears is added to the traverse speed, it actually buffs FASTER turret traverse MORE, and gives a LESSER buff to the ships that actually need it, the ones with slow turret traverse speed! Restoring Expert Marksman as Grease The Gears is totally a viable option. Otherwise buffing Grease The Gears to +25% turret traverse speed might work as well.

Dead Eye. The skill everyone is using, because -10% dispersion for main battery is just THAT GOOD. It's too good, with honestly little downside AND the downside promotes staying back as far as possible, which in my opinion, isn't really a good idea overall. As a poster recommended in an earlier post, I would also agree that the penalty of +30% fire and flooding duration be REMOVED from Super Heavy AP Shells and instead be tacked onto Dead Eye. Failing that, just change the skill to a -5% flat buff to dispersion. Nothing else, just....a flat buff. At 4 points, it's GOOD, but it's probably not as gamechanging as it currently is. And if secondaries were viable again, then there would be a reason to maybe NOT choose it for some builds. Or not. Build diversity is the name of the game, right?

Speaking of Super Heavy AP shells....That skill should really drop the penalty I think. Honestly, 5% AP damage is nice, but it's not really gonna have a profound effect, unlike Dead Eye. So drop the penalties, tack those onto Dead Eye. If needed, tack a slight reload penalty onto it or something. Probably not necessary though, in my opinion.

Other issues include the increased cost of the new "Superintendent" skill, Emergency Repair Expert at 4 points, and Priority Target at 2 points....This is disappointing, because for more skill points, you're getting less, if you choose to run full survivability. Dead Eye is currently a must, as is Concealment Expert, which leaves you with either fire Prevention OR that Emergency Repair Expert, not both, unless you give up that sweet Dead Eye. Which I think, in its current iteration, not many people are willing to do that.

Edited by SaiIor_Moon

[WOLFH]
Members
1,234 posts

Constructive feedback: roll back the skills rework.

Anything else that could be said about the skills rework is just trying to polish a turd.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
2 hours ago, C14Alpha said:

That is not constructive feedback. That is the rage-filled scream of a spoiled child.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

Do a system-restore to prerework.

1. This is so all players have everything the way their account was before the rework (yes some people might not know what a system restore is)
  2. Give any and every Captain that was 19pts before the rework a bump to 21pt
  3. Give all other captains a 2 pt bounce.
  4. On day 1 have ALL captains set to 0 then the players can set them up as they see fit.
  5. Have a UI that shows all captains at one time or with a right scroll bar so people can go down each one and free assign to the ship the PLAYER wants them on. (AKA roster)
  6. Remove having to use dabloons for retraining or recruiting and just make it free (untrained captains) when you buy a ship or no captain and if you want to go "no captain" then you can assign one from ANY SHIP within that class free NO cost, but to move one from another class have the retraining fee in Credits or Elite XP.
  7. REMOVE DEAD-EYE
  8. Increase secondary build effectiveness the closer you are to an opponent as well as rof.

[WOLFH]
Members
1,234 posts
28 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That is not constructive feedback. That is the rage-filled scream of a spoiled child.

So I'm not a WG toadie; sue me.

• Haha 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,382 posts
10,485 battles
2 hours ago, C14Alpha said:

Anything else that could be said about the skills rework is just trying to polish a turd.

And WG will ignore that "feedback" because it dismisses all their work at this skills rework.

As for my feedback

Good:

1) More economic decisions. You have more options to spec up.

2) Decent BB nerf. Now they have to choose between sniper, secondary, tank, and healing 4-point skills.

3) Argus-Eyed (renamed PT) now obliges players to choose their fights carefully since it costs more.

4) CQE BB skill, used correctly, gives tanking BBs an edge when supporting DDs.

5) CV captains can now take skills to let their TB ignore a bit of TDS, DB fly a bit quicker, and ignore 25% of incoming flak damage

6) BB captains running a BB with 9+ barrels can add a little more AP damage with the super AP skill; run this on my Conqueror and the extra AP damage on broadside BBs helps.

Bad:

1) Deadeye is too effective on its own. It, not the super AP skill, should've had the fire and flood duration counters. It also encourages too much campfest.

2) AA build requires BFT and AA expert skills since CVs often have the skills to lower damage to their planes.

3) Captains do not do a victory dance in port UI when learn a new skill

4) The grind for 21 points is formidable for newer players. My 1.2mil EXCP proved inadequate. Will be a while before have a 21-pointer.

5) Secondaries and AA are still not loaded at start of the battle.

• Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
1,234 posts
3 minutes ago, Reymu said:

And WG will ignore that "feedback" because it dismisses all their work at this skills rework.

Therein lies much of the problem.  WG ignores "feedback" that does not largely affirm their initiatives.  They simply dismiss the possibility of being fundamentally wrong about anything.

No, I will not endorse something that is bad, praising the best of the bad in hopes that I will be heard complaining about the worst of the bad.

When something is bad, I will not hesitate to say so.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

Toss it.

The more they invent the plumbing its easier to overflow the sewers into a full house.

Thats the state of 10.0 today. Im half tempted to experiment with ships and commanders who have no skills at all. Just flags. At least they have not nerfed that.

Sign in to follow this