You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eddiechopp

Division CV, with two Deadeye BB's= Death for CV player?

18 comments in this topic

[46856]
[46856]
Members
12 posts
11,560 battles

So two games in a row now. 

First game i was the Tier 10 British CV. At the start of the game I set myself in the middle in the back so i can balance my flight time between the edge caps.  Then i move around the map as needed.

Before deadeye I could creep up a bit from where i started to shorten the flight time. 

Now I try to get in the middle back but WAY WAY WAY in the back. Divisions have figured out if they have a CV player that hunts for the CV right away and puts eyes enough  for a bit. the Two(or one)BBs in the div that have deadeye(also other bbs with deadeye) if they can reach me they can pick me off for way downtown. 

The enemy CV was doing that strategy on me and his strong AP rockets destroyed me while the fellow deadeye BB's took my damage down to nothing. Its almost hard to run from that.  Oh and instead of helping my teammates i had to help myself from constant bombardment and putting up patrol fighters to protect myself. that was exhausting and not how I wanted to play the game. 

The upside for our team was the CV was just picking on me so my good team took care of the caps and ships and we won the game. 

Thinking this was a one off?????NOPE!!!!!!

I took my Midway next game out and this was another div with the CV, BB, BB. except they must of practiced at this strategy. they worked me over pretty well.  I found them later on late in the game and found the surviving CV and the fellow div mate BB very close assuming providing AA support incase I had a similar strategy. 

I ended up surviving till the end but after that match I felt kind of disgusted and wondering if this is gonna be the norm for CV's. 

Are we gonna spend the whole game reversing all the way back of the map and popping patrol fighters for yourself then scrambling with Autopilot(not very good if your in the back of the map BTW) when A German CV and fellow div mates BB's destroy you as a CV? I might be a rare breed to like the new CV gameplay but this strategy that I've experienced has gotten me worried about CV gameplay.

Has anybody been a CV and seen this strategy implemented or done it yourself?

Edited by Eddiechopp

[HOLE]
Members
200 posts
2,352 battles
1 hour ago, Eddiechopp said:

First game i was the Tier 10 British CV. At the start of the game I set myself in the middle in the back so i can balance my flight time between the edge caps.  Then i move around the map as needed.

Before deadeye I could creep up a bit from where i started to shorten the flight time. 

Now I try to get in the middle back but WAY WAY WAY in the back. Divisions have figured out if they have a CV player that hunts for the CV right away and puts eyes enough  for a bit. the Two(or one)BBs in the div that have deadeye(also other bbs with deadeye) if they can reach me they can pick me off for way downtown. 

The enemy CV was doing that strategy on me and his strong AP rockets destroyed me while the fellow deadeye BB's took my damage down to nothing. Its almost hard to run from that.  Oh and instead of helping my teammates i had to help myself from constant bombardment and putting up patrol fighters to protect myself. that was exhausting and not how I wanted to play the game. 

The upside for our team was the CV was just picking on me so my good team took care of the caps and ships and we won the game. 

I took my Midway next game out and this was another div with the CV, BB, BB. except they must of practiced at this strategy. they worked me over pretty well.  I found them later on late in the game and found the surviving CV and the fellow div mate BB very close assuming providing AA support incase I had a similar strategy. 

I ended up surviving till the end but after that match I felt kind of disgusted and wondering if this is gonna be the norm for CV's. 

Are we gonna spend the whole game reversing all the way back of the map and popping patrol fighters for yourself then scrambling with Autopilot(not very good if your in the back of the map BTW) when A German CV and fellow div mates BB's destroy you as a CV? I might be a rare breed to like the new CV gameplay but this strategy that I've experienced has gotten me worried about CV gameplay.

I don't think it will last long since most get bored after doing it over and over. Unfortunately teams will suffer losses due to such behavior of 3 ships focused on one. They will make a few videos giggling like girls and talking crap and impress a few fan bois. Kind of like the kid who jumps in front of a news camera just to be seen. lol

• Cool 2

[TWFT]
Members
1,442 posts
39,809 battles

So now you know what the DD drivers have been going threw with CV's.

How about this, Just dodge.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,526 posts
On 1/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, Eddiechopp said:

Most "teams" like that end up losing.

I am always amazed how they could have a BB with 1 ho 5 km away and then shoot at the CV 20 away because it them feel special.

The DD that spends 10 min to hunter the cv dies to rockets then screams planes are OP.

I have not had it happen to me yet

[VORTX]
Members
58 posts
556 battles

This only happened to me once, and it actually scared the piss out of me when I got shot at the start out of the match o.o But Corrective action I had taken was simply move away behind a mountain or just opposite end. Around that time my team is already firing back at them.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
957 posts
7,498 battles

@El2aZeR Correct me if I'm wrong but Audacious is the most vulnerable to hits on the deck due to the poor armor around the strong 118m(?) deck in the center. 

To OP, Kudos for trying Audacious, worst CV but might do well verse these Thunderers.

Members
2,246 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Audacious is the most vulnerable to hits on the deck due to the poor armor around the strong 118m(?) deck in the center. 

That is correct.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,063 posts
2,537 battles

Ah yes, the 899 Division strikes again

• Cool 1

[KOBK]
Members
388 posts
4,911 battles

Your stretegy its too risky in the current meta. I suggest to stay far behind and if you see a division of cv with any other ship either focus the cv or the others ships since its higly possible they are coming for you first

Using a mountain for cover even if you loses a few seconds of flights is other way to avoid anihilation by CV divisions

[WPORT]
Members
7,763 posts
12,824 battles

Before 0.10.0 skills rebork, CV-Sniping was happening on occasion.
With high-tier ships that have main-gun ranges that cover most of a map, it remains a problem. 
With Dead-eye or other accuracy improvements to a ship, the problem for a CV player becomes a teensy bit more difficult.

Personally, I think the maps are too small.

[CVA16]
Members
6,047 posts
18,594 battles

I think both teams should be required to have an 899 division. It balances things and that way the CV and 2 deadeye BBs are occupied fighting their counterparts and can leave all the other ships alone:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,382 posts
1,842 battles

It's time for Wargaming to buff CV decks even more again :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[--DA-]
Members
35 posts
1,195 battles

I feel like if you're playing your CV properly and getting to safe positions from the very start of the game, this isn't a problem you should be really running into.  A lot of CV players like to wait and see where the action is before deciding a route, the Deadeye meta just forces you to do so sooner.  If I see an island or something to hide behind, I'm immediately going there, if the team starts losing on that side I turn around, but a stationary open-water CV is a dead CV, and that's always been true in my experience.

Also, it's generally wise to assume no one is ever going to help you in any ship in the game unless you're in a division with them, islands are your real friends.  If an opposing CV wants to waste all its time on you trying to kill you, then congratulations, you've now made them virtually worthless in the game as they lose their planes to one of the highest AA ships on the ocean and they are providing 0 support to the rest of their team.  Play your game properly and rough up the rest of their team and you'll probably end up winning in the end, even if you do go down, as their CV will quickly find itself alone.

Edited by NefariousRaven

[NUWES]
Members
3,350 posts
12,062 battles

I just watch for them in the load screen and if I see them I plan where to move to keep a landmass between them and me. Move immediately as soon as the start countdown lets you. You know what the BB,BB,CV group is there for. There's no reason to wait for it to start firing at you.

Any time I think there is a long range BB that may snipe I set the CV on a serpentine course and/or I head to cover immediately. The CV snipe tactic tends to rely on the CV not moving or moving predictably and being in the open. The shell flight times are quite long at those ranges as are BB reload times. You'll take some hits but they are not likely to kill you or do that heavy damage if you move immediately and erratically. Also, T10 CVs + Implacable have armored flight decks. Long range fire will tend to bunce off of the deck. It's much more of a problem for T8 CVs, most of which have no real armor. 

Another thing is their CV has to be spotting for them. Either he dropped a fighter consumable or he is actively spotting. If it is just the consumable either disperse it with your own planes if it is close or move away if it is not (and it still may be worth it to disperse it). If he is actively spotting you, you are basically tying down three players. You can try to use fighter consumables to push him away but that doesn't always work well. 

The big thing is your team needs to do is make good use of the time their team is spending trying to kill you. Unless you are sitting still for a while or they get lucky they should not be able to kill you quickly. I've really only seen unprepared people actually die from this. You may take substantial damage but it shouldn't kill you. If your team is even remotely competent it should be pushing their DDs out or killing them while the red team is focusing on the CV. If your team pushes into the caps early, even if you die as the CV, the deadeye BBs and the CV will have a lot of trouble retaking the caps and winning the game.