You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

10% reduced dispersion is more than a 10% increase in accuracy

12 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles

Observe this quickly constructed diagram of ovals, each approximately 16.7% of the diameter.  Reducing the diameter by 16.7% removes the outer ring, which is the largest ring and the ring with the highest percentage of area that isn't part of the target.  Reducing the diameter by 16.7% removes much more than 16.7% of the area that represents a miss.

1904682042_17.thumb.png.f6246973be6f0069c794d664123d7927.png

In short, Deadeye provides much more than a 10% boost to accuracy, for those who can aim.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts

Nice diagram but... I'm not sure it represents dispersion when speaking of a reduction. Reducing dispersion would not reduce the total area but rather the dispersion of the shots within the total area. So if shots normally dispered across a 400m area, it would now disperse over a 360m area. 

You wouldn't be reducing the total area but rather (referring to your image) the dark grey area would be reduced by 40m overall. It sounds the same but it isn't, if I'm saying it correctly.  Right? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,867 battles

The real problem with the skill is the lack of a down side for a rather large buff.

• Cool 1

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The real problem with the skill is the lack of a down side for a rather large buff.

15% reload penalty sounds about right.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,564 posts
4,771 battles

Everyone is confusing precision and accuracy.  WHERE'S THE AIM POINT?  You successfully aim precisely on the center of the target, and yes, the above applies.  However, should you be off a bit, not even very much, then the chances of missing altogether are increased by a precision buff.

Be assured, Dead Eye is a precision buff -- not an accuracy buff.

precision_accuracy.png

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[UNC]
Members
897 posts
6,258 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Everyone is confusing precision and accuracy.  WHERE'S THE AIM POINT?  You successfully aim precisely on the center of the target, and yes, the above applies.  However, should you be off a bit, not even very much, and the chances of missing altogether are increased by a precision buff.

Be assured, Dead Eye is a precision buff -- not an accuracy buff.

precision_accuracy.png

So what you are saying is that Deadeye only really helps if you can aim?  (love the illustration btw, so many people don't understand the difference)

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,564 posts
4,771 battles
1 minute ago, Uncle_Lou said:

So what you are saying is that Deadeye only really helps if you can aim?  (love the illustration btw, so many people don't understand the difference)

Pretty much.  If you're not good at aiming, Dead Eye is actually a nerf. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
29 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Nice diagram but... I'm not sure it represents dispersion when speaking of a reduction. Reducing dispersion would not reduce the total area but rather the dispersion of the shots within the total area. So if shots normally dispered across a 400m area, it would now disperse over a 360m area. 

You wouldn't be reducing the total area but rather (referring to your image) the dark grey area would be reduced by 40m overall. It sounds the same but it isn't, if I'm saying it correctly.  Right? 

The dark grey is the target ship.

In WoWS the dispersion number is how wide the shells can possibly fall.  The height size is derived via formula from the width, and that formula varies from nation to nation.  Sigma is what affects the probability that a shot will fall near the center or not.  If you reduce the dispersion the area the shells can fall in is thus reduced.  Sigma still plays the same role, but as in my diagram, it has less area that isn't the target.

Members
509 posts
20 battles

Well it is the area of the ellipse that is important for how many shells you hit, but the benefit you receive is given in the form of a diameter decrease.

If you reduce the diameter of a circle (or an oval, the area reduction will be the same percentage) by 10%, then you are reducing the area by 19%.  Remember you square the radius to get the area, so the area of a circle = πr2, and the area of an oval =  π(r1*r2).

In this case the area of the target remains the same, and for a BB the area of the target will remain entirely within the dispersion ellipse at the ranges we are discussing, so this makes for a straight 19% dispersion ellipse reduction, and that is pretty amazing really, being basically a 20% buff instead of the 10% buff it looks like at first glance.

As an aside, when WG buffed the accuracy of KM BB's last year, they changed from the KM/RM/MN ellipse to the RN/US ellipse.  At a standard engagement range of 15km, this reduced the horizontal dispersion from 213m down to 210m, or a 1.4% dispersion reduction.  This results in a 2.8% reduction in the area of the dispersion ellipse.

Edit: for clarity of formulas, I forgot to do the super/subscript.

Edited by Moggytwo
  • Cool 1

Members
38 posts
3,940 battles

Nomenclature and semantics aside, I believe the idea poised by the OP has its merits. 

Similar to the idea of a critical point or achieving critical mass, the of 10% bonus to dispersion actually gives a significantly higher bonus than one would imagine when hearing "just 10%". It is this possibility that I think WG should look at and refine more.

It has made me reconsider some skills as well, since now I can see what MASSIVE bonus a simple "10%" actually can achieve, I am curious on some of the other skills I totally ignored due to being "just 5%".

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
33 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Well it is the area of the ellipse that is important for how many shells you hit, but the benefit you receive is given in the form of a diameter decrease.

If you reduce the diameter of a circle (or an oval, the area reduction will be the same percentage) by 10%, then you are reducing the area by 19%.  Remember you square the radius to get the area, so the area of a circle = πr2, and the area of an oval =  π(r1*r2).

In this case the area of the target remains the same, and for a BB the area of the target will remain entirely within the dispersion ellipse at the ranges we are discussing, so this makes for a straight 19% dispersion ellipse reduction, and that is pretty amazing really, being basically a 20% buff instead of the 10% buff it looks like at first glance.

As an aside, when WG buffed the accuracy of KM BB's last year, they changed from the KM/RM/MN ellipse to the RN/US ellipse.  At a standard engagement range of 15km, this reduced the horizontal dispersion from 213m down to 210m, or a 1.4% dispersion reduction.  This results in a 2.8% reduction in the area of the dispersion ellipse.

Yep, this is what I am driving at, but I am not so good at the actual math.  It just struck me how many videos and streams I heard comments like "Look at that dispersion!  Does that look like a 10% buff to you?" and thinking about it I could see why a 10% buff was actually much more, even if I couldn't pinpoint how much more.

The other thing to realize is that, assuming the shooter can aim, the target isn't in a random portion of the dispersion ellipse, but is in the middle portion.  That means that while you have eliminated 19% of the area, most of the that are was area you didn't want to hit anyways, as is shown in my diagram.  Just guestimating visually, the target occupies about 1/5th of the area and in the bottom one it occupies about 1/3rd of the area, meaning that a ~30% reduction in dispersion area resulted in the a ~65% increase in the percentage of the area occupied by the target.  So in actuality, the boost is even more than the 19% reduction in area indicates, assuming of course that the shooter can aim.

Edited by Helstrem

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts

Well I appreciate the math and clarifications from all involved. Love it when a forum is an actual forum! 

Now when cometh the nerf hammer?