Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SteventotheMax

Not trying to start a fight but...

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1
[RBMK2]
Members
2 posts
2,530 battles

Is there any talk of the Puerto Rico coming back to the lines anytime soon? I am really liking American cruisers and I love playing the Alaska. I know there was a lot of anger through that dockyard but I am very interested in getting it.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,788
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,753 posts
4,272 battles

Probably at some point is my guess, though WG will have to be really careful how they do it, PR REALLY triggers the playerbase (rightfully IMO).

However, you're not missing much. Alaska is better tier for tier, and PR also got hit hard by the removal of FP. So yes it might return but don't feel you're missing out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
72
[FLTF1]
Members
273 posts
7,543 battles

Why fight? why trigger? What's wrong with Puerto Rico? I really don't know, honest question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58
[BB35]
Members
116 posts
20,829 battles
16 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Why fight? why trigger? What's wrong with Puerto Rico? I really don't know, honest question

The ship herself is fine.  The player base gets triggered by the cost or massive effort to acquire her in the very first dockyard event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
1 hour ago, cheapinkc said:

The ship herself is fine.  The player base gets triggered by the cost or massive effort to acquire her in the very first dockyard event.

Yep, so frustrating. If the player base had just realized that if you paid a little and worked a little it was a great deal but nope many only looked at the extremes as usual.

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
652
[TIMT]
Members
1,265 posts
4,765 battles
25 minutes ago, paradat said:

Yep, so frustrating. If the player base had just realized that if you paid a little and worked a little it was a great deal but nope many only looked at the extremes as usual.

Well, it came down to marketing, setting expectations, and - quite honestly - the mess of communications that came afterwards. How you put it is glossing over many factors that went into this event and how was perceived. My memory is not perfect, but here is my attempt at a tld;dr for the new people:

  • PR event is announced, with PR being the ship you'd be able to acquire for free if you put work into it. Like now, you can buy boosters to help the grind.
  • PTS server shows the price for boosters to be 1k, 2k, and 3k, respectively (if memory serves correctly). The directives for the grind are not final, yet.
  • Patch drops, directives are released. now to be very clear, this event worked differently compared to current ones.
    • In order to get PR, you needed to get a certain amount of points
    • points were generated over time at a fixed rate, the stock rate was not enough to get PR build by the deadline
    • boosters were helping, yet even buying all boosters did not guarantee getting her in time without grinding some directives.
    • directives gave you ship building tokens, which could be exchanged for upgrades to the dockyard. upgrades increased the generation of points
    • boosters are a factor of 4 more expensive!
  • So, you not only needed to do the directives but you needed to do them as fast as possible! If you were too late, it didn't matter as you'd don't get enough points in time. Did they tell you this up front? Of course not.
  • Boosters were priced at 4, 8 and 12k doubloons if memory serves right (* I am really fuzzy about this, but it was a lot of doubloons for all of them!!*)
  • Even streamers were not sure if they could meet the directives in any realistic time frame required for getting PR for free.

WG later issued a statement, and it boiled down to: if you want PR, you need to complete the directives for the week in 48h. Otherwise, you won't make it in time. This went over well with the community. The outrage was met with another statement that the event was meant for the most dedicated fans that could spent time and resources to meet the requirements. It did not go over well.

To the point of "pay a little and work a little" you needed to buy all three boosters to have the full week of time to get to do the directives. Remember, these were issued on mondays, if you were only playing on weekends you had no chance of getting to do these in time unless you bought all three. The cost of the three boosters (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, I am not 100% sure about the numbers) was in the ballpark of two T8 premiums.

Just the three boosters. Two T8 premiums.

This was not a good deal imho. So please, either show me where my memory is wrong (it might really be) or shut up about "paying a little".

Edit: a quick google search got me this:

I know not everyone likes Flamu, but I think it will give the new players who have not been around for PR an idea of what the "hype" around PR is.

Edited by shinytrashcan
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
10 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Well, it came down to marketing, setting expectations, and - quite honestly - the mess of communications that came afterwards. How you put it is glossing over many factors that went into this event and how was perceived. My memory is not perfect, but here is my attempt at a tld;dr for the new people:

  • PR event is announced, with PR being the ship you'd be able to acquire for free if you put work into it. Like now, you can buy boosters to help the grind.
  • PTS server shows the price for boosters to be 1k, 2k, and 3k, respectively (if memory serves correctly). The directives for the grind are not final, yet.
  • Patch drops, directives are released. now to be very clear, this event worked differently compared to current ones.
    • In order to get PR, you needed to get a certain amount of points
    • points were generated over time at a fixed rate, the stock rate was not enough to get PR build by the deadline
    • boosters were helping, yet even buying all boosters did not guarantee getting her in time without grinding some directives.
    • directives gave you ship building tokens, which could be exchanged for upgrades to the dockyard. upgrades increased the generation of points
    • boosters are a factor of 4 more expensive!
  • So, you not only needed to do the directives but you needed to do them as fast as possible! If you were too late, it didn't matter as you'd don't get enough points in time. Did they tell you this up front? Of course not.
  • Boosters were priced at 4, 8 and 12k doubloons if memory serves right (* I am really fuzzy about this, but it was a lot of doubloons for all of them!!*)
  • Even streamers were not sure if they could meet the directives in any realistic time frame required for getting PR for free.

WG later issued a statement, and it boiled down to: if you want PR, you need to complete the directives for the week in 48h. Otherwise, you won't make it in time. This went over well with the community. The outrage was met with another statement that the event was meant for the most dedicated fans that could spent time and resources to meet the requirements. It did not go over well.

To the point of "pay a little and work a little" you needed to buy all three boosters to have the full week of time to get to do the directives. Remember, these were issued on mondays, if you were only playing on weekends you had no chance of getting to do these in time unless you bought all three. The cost of the three boosters (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, I am not 100% sure about the numbers) was in the ballpark of two T8 premiums.

Just the three boosters. Two T8 premiums.

This was not a good deal imho. So please, either show me where my memory is wrong (it might really be) or shut up about "paying a little".

So if you spent about 50$ you needed to work about as hard as the current dockyards and the rewards were better than current dockyards.

I would have to dig up one of our guides from the time. 

The communication was absolutely terrible. Even after they fixed it the damage was beyond repair.

So for me I bought two boosters got the Ship after Directive 4 or 5 and then for fun I made it about half way thru directive six just playing normally. Directive 7 was a nightmare very surprised at how many players pulled it off for free.

Not trying to gloss over the crap communication. However after many of us on the forum worked it out there were several viable ways to get a great deal. Even buying 3 boosters was worth it and the grind then was easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
562 posts
30 minutes ago, paradat said:

if you paid a little and worked a little it was a great deal

Uh huh, and being sent to the gulag was like going to a vacation resort. :Smile_sceptic:

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
Just now, OuijaApologist said:

Uh huh, and being sent to the gulag was like going to a vacation resort. :Smile_sceptic:

LOL. It was easy for many of us on the forum.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
652
[TIMT]
Members
1,265 posts
4,765 battles
Just now, paradat said:

So if you spent about 50$ you needed to work about as hard as the current dockyards and the rewards were better than current dockyards.

It was not 50$. It was 6k+8k+10k=24k. That is a 100$ if you get the 25K doubloon special.

OK, I actually managed to find the reddit post by sub_octavian:

Spoiler

 

here is also a nice summary of the things going down back then:

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles

Here you go: So this was my plan and progress for the PR 

paradat

  • Admiral
  • paradat
  • Beta Testers
  •  3,346
  • 12,209 posts
  • 17,336 battles
  • Location: Western US
  • PCNA045_7602548adb7acca638c316acd5e66a97PCNB217_ee138f4c5db87d97e9b99f19791ed85e

LeVar Burton GIF

The Goals:

If you’re ready to get two Premium boosters:

  • The first Directive should be completed within 5 days of opening.
  • Directives 2–3 should be completed within 6 days of the completion of each previous one.
  • The fourth Directive should be completed within 12 days of the completion of the third.
  • Finish the first 13 Daily Missions and collect all the rewards from Daily Shipments.
  • In order to get the most out of boosters, spend your Tokens as soon as possible.
  •  

The plan:

Get all log in bonuses, Complete nearly all daily mission chains, Complete 4 directives within the time frames above and purchase Gorizia to make those first 3 directives even more easy.

Optional:

Proceed to pick up intra directive loot beyond the requirements listed above. Will try to get thru Directive 5 just for the free port slots.

Log:

Dec 11th

Free boost activated. Purchased 1st boost 6k Dubs. Purchased Gorizia $32.00.

Finished Directive 1 (Took 4 hours) So 4 days faster than needed.

Employee Canteen Boost activated 

Dec 12 daily done 

Purchased 2nd boost 8k dubs (Solidified my plan to go with two boosts and the Gorizia)

Phase 16/36. If I stop now will reach phase 27.

Dec 13 daily done (casually done in Co-op while knocking of snowflakes)

Dec 14 daily done (Co-op)

Dec 15th daily done (Co-op) 4 boosts active 105 tokens ready in the dock yard. Ready for Directive 2

lets go hype GIF by Fox TV

Dec 16th Daily done (random) Directive 2 done! Took 6.5 hours Mostly Gorizia and a large dose of Tirpitz and Tirpitz B

High Capacity Storage activated. Phase 18/36 583 points per min. If I stop now will reach phase 30.

Dec 17th Daily Done (Co-op) 205 tokens available.

Dec 18th Daily Done (Co-op) 230 tokens available passed phase 19.

Dec 19th Daily Done (Co-op) 255 tokens available. Right on target Directive 3 tomorrow!

Dec 20th. Directive 3 done! (Random/Co-op) 8 hours Gorizia in Randoms then Co-op and did the secondary hits mission. Short term workers boost active. Daily done. 280 tokens available. If I stop now will reach phase 33.

Dec 21st. Daily Done. Fire station active (4th token boost) If I stop now will reach phase 35......lol DANG IT. So will need one more boost from Directive 4 and a few more dailies.

Dec 22nd. Daily Done. 30 tokens available.

Dec 23rd. Daily Done. 55 tokens available. Ship building collection done!

Dec 24th. Daily Done. 85 tokens available. Directive 4 started. About 4 hours into it.

Dec 25th. Daily Done. 105 tokens available. Directive 4 continues. IJN and KM missions are done. Another 4 hours into it.

Dec 26th. Daily Done. 125 tokens available. Directive 4 continues. Finished US and UK missions. Another 10 hours into it.

Dec 27th. Daily Done. Directive 4 done! Took 2 hours to finish the Pan American, Commonwealth, European mission. So 20 hours total to do Directive 4. Extra Workers active. 95 Tokens available. So If I do nothing else Puerto Rico will finish!

Joliet Jake Blues GIF

Dec 28th. Daily done. 115 tokens available. Started Directive 5 (just for fun and loot)

Dec 29th. Daily done. 135 tokens available.

Dec 30th. Did not do all the dailies. 147 tokens available.

Dec 31st. Some of the dailies done. 163 tokens available.

Jan 1st. Dailies done. 181 tokens available.

Jan 2nd. Dailies done. 201 tokens available.

Jan 3rd. Dailies done. Directive 5 done! Paint shop is active. 171 tokens available. On to Directive 6.

Jan 4th. Dailies done. 191 tokens available. Passed phase 34 Steel received. It was enough to get me to the Somers!

Jan 5th. Dailies done. 211 tokens available. Still moving thru directive 6. Should have the PR in port tomorrow.

Jan 5th. PR in port.

shot-20.01.06_20.36.33-0431.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
14 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

It was not 50$. It was 6k+8k+10k=24k. That is a 100$ if you get the 25K doubloon special.

OK, I actually managed to find the reddit post by sub_octavian:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

here is also a nice summary of the things going down back then:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

The above was for the three booster option I did the two booster option. So I did the 6k + 8k. So for me it was the best sale of the year by far.

Yes the Reddit post cleared it all up. The forum and pretty much figured most of it out already at that point but it was nice to get it from Sub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles

Here was a thread with many of us tracking our progress.

Puerto Rico Progress Tracking - General Game Discussion - World of Warships official forum

After reading that again I had forgotten how much you could just do in coop. For those of us who were not at the dumpster fire sing a long it was a fun event but way too complicated. New dockyards are way simpler to understand and you know going in that pay some grind some is the way to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
652
[TIMT]
Members
1,265 posts
4,765 battles
5 minutes ago, paradat said:

The above was for the three booster option I did the two booster option. 

Yes the Reddit post cleared it all up. The forum and pretty much figured most of it out already at that point but it was nice to get it from Sub

As I said previously, two boosters is not a bit of money, but the equivalent of a whole new game. Furthermore, it did not guarantee you to get PR but you still needed to grind through all the directives. Yes, it was possible after spending all that money, but it was not nearly as easy as we were lead to believe leading up to the event.

Now, I know there is always more than one perspective and things like money are always subjective (the amounts of money I now consider casual would shock 10-year-ago-me), but the way you put it earlier in your post really made it look like PR was nothing special in any way. It definitely was. So forgive me when I say that stating the PR event was grossly misunderstood by the community and that they did not see this great bargain to be had seems a bit disingenuous to some players like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
6 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

As I said previously, two boosters is not a bit of money, but the equivalent of a whole new game. Furthermore, it did not guarantee you to get PR but you still needed to grind through all the directives. Yes, it was possible after spending all that money, but it was not nearly as easy as we were lead to believe leading up to the event.

Now, I know there is always more than one perspective and things like money are always subjective (the amounts of money I now consider casual would shock 10-year-ago-me), but the way you put it earlier in your post really made it look like PR was nothing special in any way. It definitely was. So forgive me when I say that stating the PR event was grossly misunderstood by the community and that they did not see this great bargain to be had seems a bit disingenuous to some players like me.

Two boosters was 14k dubs. For me that was a fantastic price for a tier 10 ship not counting the piles and piles of loot along the way.

No you did not need to grind thru all the directives. A three boost player only needed to finish Directive 3, a two booster player only need to finish Directive 4. This was easy. I finished Directive 5 and went into 6 just for the fun of it and all the extra loot.

What was not easy was getting it for free by completing directive 7. That was insanely hard only a few thousand players globally did it.

What I also thought was insane would be to buy it outright, it would cost 59k dubs....yikes. But again 14k dubs and 4 directives?...Cake.

I totally understand the confusion and frustration of the community at the time and I blame WG for most of it. Having said that once you figured it all out and made a plan it was a great event for those that gave it a go.

Or you could just join the mob for a sing along at the dumpster fire lol

Here was another great thread from the beginning:

PSA 8.11 Snowflakes, Dockyard, Directives, Collection, Puerto Rico - General Game Discussion - World of Warships official forum

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
562 posts
55 minutes ago, paradat said:

LOL. It was easy for many of us on the forum.

No amount of PR for the PR is gonna smooth over the giant middle finger to the player base cash grab that it was. Be it subO's apology not-an-apology or the head of Lesta saying the event was for the unemployed, disabled, and mentally ill.

You can't ignore and dismiss those things. The PR dockyard was a failed cash grab, period. 

  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,433
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
3 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

No amount of PR for the PR is gonna smooth over the giant middle finger to the player base cash grab that it was. Be it subO's apology not-an-apology or the head of Lesta saying the event was for the unemployed, disabled, and mentally ill.

You can't ignore and dismiss those things. The PR dockyard was a failed cash grab, period. 

LOL. I don't know what to say. Perspective is a powerful thing.

All of the complaints about the event are valid.....and..... for me and others who saw thru all the crap it was the best sale of the year. I whish they would be that good again. Not that complex but that much value. The current dockyards are pretty good so I will not complain about that and they are much more simple.

What did you do during the event? 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
685
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,278 posts
2 hours ago, OuijaApologist said:

No amount of PR for the PR is gonna smooth over the giant middle finger to the player base cash grab that it was. Be it subO's apology not-an-apology or the head of Lesta saying the event was for the unemployed, disabled, and mentally ill.

You can't ignore and dismiss those things. The PR dockyard was a failed cash grab, period. 

Well you can add about 60 million previously employed workers from early 2020 to now that has had their benefits run out or restarted. Arkansas has similar problems with a few hundred thousand unemployeds out of a couple million of total population.

That can be fixed in a week with a total return to a free society without lockdowns and restrictions imposed these days. However its been too many months and those businesses and jobs will never come back. They simply do not exist anymore ever.

Those who are disabled either through no fault of their own and includes those whose work has disabled them over a lifetime. That also includes Disabled Vets who are numbered in the tens of millions, many through wars and the rest through Military Service that hurt them. (Way to insult them WG...) My own spouse was a disabled vet herself and the idea that somehow she is a liability is very disrespectful.

As far as the Mentally Ill, the numbers are pretty small as a percentage of overall population. You will find a percentage of them do well and over come the limitations in life with that issue. I have had them in childhood due to a education system that did not possess certain tools in those days that they do now for those whose disabilities does not include specifically Mental Illness. My own disabilities did not prevent me from doing good work all of my life until the body was essentially destroyed by the work. I don't let that bother me either.

The PR Event in the Dockyard presented as a really expensive way to buy the ship from day one. And a number of people had the money to just get it. For me it was just not worth it after seeing a number of them destroyed in battle and the dockyard grind was among the impossible goals. Not all of us in the game have 24/7 to play the game and grind. Most of us have obligations in life, family, work and so forth and can only play a certain amount per month in terms of hours.

The good positive outcome of that PR Fiasco is that the dockyard situation and grind was improved on. I bought the Hizen on day one and where I am on the grind is almost completed in the last stage that begins by morning today for 15 or more days until dockyard event is ended. The number of stages I completed resulted in a good income of Steel and RB points this year in addition to the rest of the rewards. One of the reasons i bought the Hizen is to remove the stress imposed by the mission grind in dockyard. They do not always get completed in the 60 or less days given for them. Part of that reason is through WG's design of imposing a few day or almost a week wait between groups of Missions in the grind. Wasted time and imposes a form of unwanted stress in the short remaining time left to finish it. Not all of us have the ability to sit by the computer 24/7 for that.

Finally but not last. You will find that it is likely those who came up with the PR name did not understand our US History specifically. PR was a Spanish Colony hundreds of years ago based on a trade of goods through a form of Slavery and eventually during the late 1800's given to the USA as a prize when Spain was defeated in the Spanish American War. You will find that PR are thier own peoples today and do not necessarily identify with the USA in daily life, they see us as a inttuder in their affairs due to the so called war on drugs dating back to the 60's after Vietnam brought that to the USA. PR was a very easy transport point to the east coast where there is sufficent money in the illegal trade to make it happen. Now PR is essentially a occupied Nation for whom Statehood is now possible this year with the new Administration. It is not clear if they want that Statehood because again they are their own people in their Nation. We dont necessarily need or want the extra 10 millions of needy people whose infrastructure gets destroyed every few years in strong hurricanes. Their overall system including their budget does not support themselves very well. Part of that is our fault politcally.

Edited by xHeavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
72
[FLTF1]
Members
273 posts
7,543 battles
9 hours ago, cheapinkc said:

The ship herself is fine.  The player base gets triggered by the cost or massive effort to acquire her in the very first dockyard event.

oh I remember, I guess. I went like half way, it was impossible. The last 2 ships where easy enough, almost completed by themselves, since WG wants you to reach the last 4 paid stages....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,795 battles

The Puerto Rico grind was indeed the mother of grinds.  IIRC, it could theoretically be completed without spending any real money, but to do so required working at it for a significant number of hours every day.  If you had, say, a real job, it was not reasonably possible.  On top of that, it took place over the Christmas/New Years holidays, when most of us have lots of things to do other than playing WoWS.  I mean, I really like playing WoWS, but it's not what I want to do all day on Christmas.

In the end, I looked at the event, the grind, and decided very early on that I wasn't going to do it.  The prize for me was the Graf Spee, which was one of the rewards somewhere in the middle of the event.  I got graf, and lots of economic rewards, and I was happy.  Didn't really want the PR anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[DVYJC]
Members
3,809 posts
9,449 battles

The directives after the first one were also really hard, and dropped faster than once a week, I think every five days or so. I believe there was one in directive 6 or 7 that was like "Earn 120,000 BXP." 

And in order to earn Puerto Rico in time, you had to complete these within two days of the directive dropping. One hundred and twenty THOUSAND BXP. In 48 hours.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×