You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CRZY_TRAIN

The old commander skills were not broken...

24 comments in this topic

[-ICE-]
Members
497 posts

I dont uderstand why you guys did this. The old commander skill page was clean, understandable, smooth and easy to operate. Why not just tweek some of the skills that were standing out as OP, why not just up the commander skills to 21 maybe add a few new ones and if additional balance was needed some new flags.  IDK what to say,  even the deal about only one skill choice per commander for all prem ships was fine, so what if you put a 19 pt capt in a dd he might not be as good in there as your BB or if you didnt like it start a new capt for those types pf ships.  More is not always better.. the old commander page was not broken and imo much cleaner, and easier to use then this new deal.. I got to ask why?   I know nobody cares if I play or not but in the past 3 days I hardly played and really dont feel like it anymore and im thinking others feel the same, you guys compleatly gut punched your players.  well it is.. what it is... but I feel you made a mistake with this one.  lol  

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 3

[INTEL]
Members
3,407 posts
18,797 battles
20 minutes ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

I dont uderstand why you guys did this. The old commander skill page was clean, understandable, smooth and easy to operate. Why not just tweek some of the skills that were standing out as OP, why not just up the commander skills to 21 maybe add a few new ones and if additional balance was needed some new flags.  IDK what to say,  even the deal about only one skill choice per commander for all prem ships was fine, so what if you put a 19 pt capt in a dd he might not be as good in there as your BB or if you didnt like it start a new capt for those types pf ships.  More is not always better.. the old commander page was not broken and imo much cleaner, and easier to use then this new deal.. I got to ask why?   I know nobody cares if I play or not but in the past 3 days I hardly played and really dont feel like it anymore and im thinking others feel the same, you guys compleatly gut punched your players.  well it is.. what it is... but I feel you made a mistake with this one.  lol  

Subs

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,697 posts
14,866 battles

Simply increasing the points to 21 and staying with that skill tree would have been overpowered so the skill tree needed to be changed. Yes, it can be argued that the way they did it was not the best way but it is the way they chose. This is live testing so make suggestions on what changes should happen although just using the skills will provide a lot of data on what ones need changes.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,502 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

I dont uderstand why you guys did this.

I do (spelling aside).  The old skills were very broken.  Half of them didn't apply to any given ship, and of those that did, several were worth merde.

It makes a great deal of sense to break skills up by ship type.  The skills themselves, I won't pronounce on.  But give them a chance.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[-ICE-]
Members
497 posts

same old people more worried about how people spell and going against whatever they post is the very reason I never come anymore.   Sorry but ur wrong.. IF you have a 19 pt capt and he is trained in such and such skills that is worth 19 points then thats it he is trained one capt one set of skills, if he is a 19 pt capt that dont mean he is a 30 pt capt.  The way you say it should be like they have it now he would have 19 points worth of the best skills for say a BB, then you feel like torping people today so you then move the same trained capt but now those 19 points go to compleatly dif skills, and so on and so on, so they are allowing the capt to have the best everything in everyship with a single 19 pt capt. I guess he is a quick learner.   Dont make sense to me.    Im out... 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,502 posts
4,771 battles
12 hours ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

is the very reason I never come anymore

Well, don't let us stop you.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Boring 1

Members
3,354 posts
17,302 battles

In a nutshell..... my ships now do the same or less with 21 pts than they did before and they do less with 19 pt captain than before.

The sheep have been trained to think they got something better. Remember how they told us that we could trade our unused captains for EXP. Trading a 10 point captain will cost 1,600 doubloons. This is nothing more than another WG cash grab. 

Elite points now take four times longer to earn than before. I was able to earn 3.8M EXP in 4 weeks. At 2k to 4k per battle it will take over a year to do the same.

Open your eyes. It's [edited] missed with a few good things to sweeten it up so it's easier to swallow.  This isn't the end. In a year from now they will rework the Equipment and then the consumables.

Those who paid real money for premium ships or for doubloons should be pissed. Every time you grind months or spend tons of money for the ship you wanted WG manages to totally change it's characteristics. This seems to be a pattern so don't expect it to go away. For me this stopped being a game 1.5 years ago. Now it's just a time waster like Solitaire. 

• Cool 1

[O7]
Beta Testers
47 posts
18,355 battles
1 hour ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

You're not the only person who is wondering why they decided to push this out when no one really asked for it, much less with a lot of poorly thought out skills to boot. They also didn't bother to listen to the people who told them that this was not a good idea and that some of the proposed skills would be extremely bad for the game. 

Members
1,449 posts

I myself have all my captains with UNassigned skills... even the 3- 21 pointers.

I do this to skew the data, I still get my elite captains exp building and my ships still do good damage.

If nobody plays the skills WG will have to rethink their stupidity.

Maybe not but one can hope.

Unused skills still show up on the spreadsheet.

• Funny 1

Members
496 posts
20 battles
2 hours ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

I dont uderstand why you guys did this.

Well the old system had a few fundamental problems. Firstly the IFHE rework taught WG that if they had a problem with one skill for one part of one class, that the system they had in place meant that it ended up being a huge problem for the whole game, with ramifications well beyond the bit they actually wanted to fix.

Secondly, they are soon adding a new class in submarines, and they no doubt looked through the tech tree and realised there was no way they were going to be able to somehow shoehorn multiple viable submarine trees into the existing skill matrix.

The skill rework fixes both of these issues, and (if actually balanced properly) will provide for more viable play style and build options for each class than ever before.

So yes, it was broken, and it most definitely did need to be changed. The mechanics of the new system are the most important thing, and these are well designed and sound. Obviously there are quite a few balance issues, but these are absolutely inevitable with such a massive change to the game. Balance changes will come, and hopefully we will end up with a much better implementation than we had pre-rework.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,230 posts
12,066 battles
11 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Trading a 10 point captain will cost 1,600 doubloons. This is nothing more than another WG cash grab. 

When is that in a month ?

Members
3,354 posts
17,302 battles
8 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I myself have all my captains with UNassigned skills... even the 3- 21 pointers.

I do this to skew the data, I still get my elite captains exp building and my ships still do good damage.

If nobody plays the skills WG will have to rethink their stupidity.

Maybe not but one can hope.

Unused skills still show up on the spreadsheet.

I need 21 pts just to be on par with the skills re-rework. They shuffled many of the most used skills to higher tiers so that it takes a min of 2 extra points just to keep what you had. Many people are still too overwhelmed with these dumb changes to have noticed.

Members
3,354 posts
17,302 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

When is that in a month ?

When is what?

I clicked a unused 10 pt captain and it was going to cost around 1600 - 1650 doubloons to get full EXP value. I don't recall them mentioning this before.  Using credits gets you 50%,( around 36,000) hardly worth selling since topping off a 19pt captain is 1.2M. 

Based on the math it's obvious the rework had nothing to do with a better experience and everything to do with getting people to buy doubloons. 

Members
1,449 posts
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I need 21 pts just to be on par with the skills re-rework. They shuffled many of the most used skills to higher tiers so that it takes a min of 2 extra points just to keep what you had. Many people are still too overwhelmed with these dumb changes to have noticed.

At the onset of the update I had saved up 2.3 mil ecexp.

I traded all my reserve captains using credits having 327 mil after all...after the third 21 pointer I still had 312mil credits and 15 - 19 point captains.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,230 posts
12,066 battles
6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

When is what?

I clicked a unused 10 pt captain and it was going to cost around 1600 - 1650 doubloons to get full EXP value. I don't recall them mentioning this before.  Using credits gets you 50%,( around 36,000) hardly worth selling since topping off a 19pt captain is 1.2M. 

Based on the math it's obvious the rework had nothing to do with a better experience and everything to do with getting people to buy doubloons. 

Sorry not sure what your are talking about or why you would use doubloons .

Members
1,449 posts

Granted I only play Co-Op and operations. But the 21 point captains play on 18 ships. The 19 pointers still get 5% ecexp and all other less than 21 do too.

It gets around 15k-25k elite captain exp when all 18 ships are played in Co-Op but hey thats how I got all my 19 pointers in the first place.

13 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Members
3,354 posts
17,302 battles

Here's an example. Sell off a 10pt captain for 450k credits will get you a whopping 45,750 EXP. You will need to sell 27 10 pt captains just to top up one 19pt captain to 21 pts. In most cases to get what you had before at 19pts.

For the full 100% EXP  you need to pay up 1,663 doubloons. Translation:  For the same skills I had before I now need to pay $$$$$     That was the entire point of the rework. 

image.png.4949ab5e42d2b637a4ccc791564a2916.png

Members
1,449 posts
5 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Here's an example. Sell off a 10pt captain for 450k credits will get you a whopping 45,750 EXP. You will need to sell 27 10 pt captains just to top up one 19pt captain to 21 pts. In most cases to get what you had before at 19pts.

For the full 100% EXP  you need to pay up 1,663 doubloons. Translation:  For the same skills I had before I now need to pay $$$$$     That was the entire point of the rework. 

image.png.4949ab5e42d2b637a4ccc791564a2916.png

To be honest even @ 21 you will not have the same skills the 2 extra point are used to get what you had, just moved to a more expensive slot.

We lost some we gained nothing and WG thinks we are suckers.

Edited by Nikolay_Kuznetsov_
  • Cool 2

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,953 posts
13,535 battles

Commander skills did need an overhaul given how stagnant builds were since most classes had one und only one viable build. The rebork, however, was not the way to go.

Banned
60 posts
20 battles
21 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Well the old system had a few fundamental problems. Firstly the IFHE rework taught WG that if they had a problem with one skill for one part of one class, that the system they had in place meant that it ended up being a huge problem for the whole game, with ramifications well beyond the bit they actually wanted to fix

Umm what? Perhaps if WG didn't hit things with a sledge hammer when they make adjustments this wouldn't be an issue?

22 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Secondly, they are soon adding a new class in submarines, and they no doubt looked through the tech tree and realised there was no way they were going to be able to somehow shoehorn multiple viable submarine trees into the existing skill matrix

So add an extra row of skills? Not really too hard to do is it? Better still, shove subs and CV's into their own little game or PvE where they belong.

23 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

The skill rework fixes both of these issues, and (if actually balanced properly) will provide for more viable play style and build options for each class than ever before

Will it though? I mean look at CV's, they created soooo much more diverse playstyle's and HUGE meta changes didnt they? (heavy sarcasm)

24 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

So yes, it was broken, and it most definitely did need to be changed. The mechanics of the new system are the most important thing, and these are well designed and sound. Obviously there are quite a few balance issues, but these are absolutely inevitable with such a massive change to the game. Balance changes will come, and hopefully we will end up with a much better implementation than we had pre-rework

Changed yes, broken, I dont think so. CV's are broken, captain skills not so much. So like the balance changes made to CV's right? How did that work out again? Oh that's right, they are balanced by the spreadsheet but not by actual in game play. Yeah I can see WG will be right on this "balance" thing. I notice CV's got a nice little deal out of the skill rework, what an amazing thing.

I know you're from SEA server so you are probably used to this ultra passive snipe fest that CV's and this skill rework have caused. Funny thing tho, you think you need to come here and "teach" us NA players how to play when in fact, NA has handed your a.s.s to you and everyone else in ALL of the recent tournaments. Maybe NA doesn't need to learn anything from SEA?

[5150]
Members
12 posts
8,418 battles

WOW can kiss my [edited]. My Z-39 firing rate can really only be reduced significantly if I take the stupid option of increasing my detectability. It was my best ship and today Iost every game I played with it.

[_DOS_]
Members
452 posts
3,564 battles

WG changes things for a reason. They are not good reasons but they probably exist somewhere on the corporate chain 

Members
3,354 posts
17,302 battles
10 hours ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

At the onset of the update I had saved up 2.3 mil ecexp.

I traded all my reserve captains using credits having 327 mil after all...after the third 21 pointer I still had 312mil credits and 15 - 19 point captains.

I just showed you a screenshot. The numbers don't lie. They are what they are. Topping off 19pt captains to 21pts would require selling 26   10pt captains for either 12,013,129.10 credits or 43,238 doubloons 

This is just to get me back to what I had before the rework

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
1,449 posts
6 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I just showed you a screenshot. The numbers don't lie. They are what they are. Topping off 19pt captains to 21pts would require selling 26   10pt captains for either 12,013,129.10 credits or 43,238 doubloons 

This is just to get me back to what I had before the rework

I saw it and I agree with you, It is expensive for less than pre-update. however the need for 21 point commanders just to begin earning the elite capt exp. We got to do what we got to do. My 3- 21's serve on 18 ships. This gives me the equivalent of my 18 -19 point captains, with 15 -19 pointers earning 5%.

IMHO  the captain earnings for me are the important thing.

All my captains are undistributed skills because the skills are just plain horrible.

I will leave them like this until the game geeks find the best builds. {if they find it}

A captain without the skills still earns the elite captain points and the spreadsheet gets the data that the skills are not being used.