You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Roscoe_W

Update Disappointment

22 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
5,633 battles

I am a 75 yo retired software engineer, so I am technically savvy. However, time has taken its toll on my physical and mental quickness. WoWS is pretty much the only interactive game I have found where I can be reasonably competitive. I started playing shortly after its introduction. I will never be able to out-twitch a 20 yo, but by playing only BB’s, I can still be competitive. They rarely require fast reflexes or quick thinking. I can aim as well or better than most, and, with occasional lapses, I usually make good strategic decisions. I will never be elite, but consider myself a solid player and a plus to any team I end up on. I don’t live on WoWS, but I usually spend an hour or two each day. I play all my ships, including the low tiers. I have been trying to bring up my captain skills, but it has been slow going. I purchased long term premium time and obtained several premium ships to speed things up. I finally brought a few captains up to 19 points so I could earn elite XP and bring more captains up to that level.

Now with the latest update I feel like I have been set back about 2 years on captain skills. The piddling 5% now going to elite XP is an insult. To add injury to insult, WG has decided I can no longer have radio location. I  spent extra just to get this skill for all my captains. Without it I feel half blind. I don’t understand how WG came to this decision. It just makes no sense to me. I don’t see why skills should be limited by ship type.

In all my years of designing and building communication equipment, one thing I learned was – NEVER, EVER REMOVE A FEATURE. There will always be customers who use that feature and consider it essential.

After this update, my interest in playing WoWS has declined significantly. I do have a couple of suggestions which would revive my interest and enjoyment of the game.

1.       All captains of 19 points continue to earn 100% elite captain XP. The elite XP can be used to upgrade their own skill or the skills of any other captain.

2.       Any captain should have access to all skills, regardless of ship type.

I don’t know if WG pays any attention to the views of the average players like myself. I don’t know if they even read these posts. I hope they do, but don’t hold out much hope that players like myself will have any real influence on their decisions.

I still enjoy playing and will continue to play, but with less enthusiasm. However, I am hoping WG will make it interesting for me again.

Good hunting, everyone.

P.S. In an unrelated subject, I would sure like to see the same type of stats on shell that hit my ship as I seen on my own hits – i.e. number of bounces, overpens, pens, citadels, etc.

• Cool 22
  • Thanks 9

[CK5]
Members
1,521 posts
16,305 battles

You make a good case, but WG's corporate culture allows no room for customer service or even customer feedback.  I feel bad for you, and I am somewhat in the same boat (no pun intended) as you, but we are dealing with a tone deaf organization that does not get it. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[WOLF1]
Members
6,041 posts

See, this is where things don't make sense to me.

I understand that you don't like the changes to the game, and you have every right to feel that way.

But, all over the forum, people repeat these things ad nauseum, but they never actually *do* anything about it.

Why would WG do anything about any of this, other than follow what the spreadsheet tells them, if people continue to say these things, but, they keep playing the game?  If you continue entering games, whether you spend money or not, you're continuing to contribute, even if just as cannon fodder.

This isn't about defending WG...I'm just trying to understand the (lack of) response here.  If I hated a company the way I see posted above in this forum every day, I would uninstall and never be seen on this forum again.  

Personally, and, yes, subjectively, I've seen far worse game companies.  They haven't turned me off at this point.  

Again, you have every right to be unhappy if you don't like how they run the game, I'm not saying that at all.  It just seems such a waste of time if people never leave the game that is supposedly so bad from a company that is the worst ever in the universe?

Carry on, I guess.

(EDIT: Yes, people leave the game all the time, it's the nature of F2P...but the truth of that is that most people who leave F2P games don't actually leave because of anything the company did.  )

Edited by Kesh_Lives
  • Meh 5

[EQRN]
Members
2,201 posts
19,590 battles
19 minutes ago, Roscoe_W said:

In all my years of designing and building communication equipment, one thing I learned was – NEVER, EVER REMOVE A FEATURE. There will always be customers who use that feature and consider it essential.

This I strongly agree with.  The “rework” should have been entirely additive, not subtractive.  If they wanted class only skills, fine - but make them new and leave the old ones alone.  I liked fat smokes on my Fiji, now no more.

• Cool 5

[WPORT]
Members
7,857 posts
12,947 battles
50 minutes ago, Roscoe_W said:

+1  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

Members
924 posts
2,737 battles
1 hour ago, Roscoe_W said:

Any captain should have access to all skills, regardless of ship type.

The same thing happening in the Lord of the Rings MMO years back.  They had a complex and deep skill map, then they decided to created tree silos for specific classes.  The change reduced the skills available and made the revamped skills conditional or not functional in their intended effect.  The change killed the game entirely for almost everyone.

While probably not quite as impacting as LOTRO I can see the pattern WG is making of late. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,244 posts
12,113 battles

I feel for you OP the game can get a strong hold on you .You want to quit you get frustrated but it can be some much fun when right . There's really not another game around like it so even though we are getting abused from time to time we take it on the chin .

It's kind of like the beautifully girlfriend we all had at one time . She made you want to stick needles in your eyes 7 days a week but the sex was so good you couldn't leave .

Edited by clammboy
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles

I don't know, it's bad enough that BBs get deadeye. Imagine those Russian heavy cruisers and super cruisers using it too.

• Haha 1

Members
38 posts
3,940 battles

Chiming in as a Software Engineer as well and cannot agree enough with:

The way it should have been done was to leave all current skills alone and simply make a tree for each ship with many of those skills and then some added new ones. Then over time, as data comes in, balance accordingly.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[SIM]
Members
5,751 posts
9,263 battles

If you don’t like it, you can quit the game and move on to something that you’ll enjoy more. 

• Sad 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 4

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

If many games are equally crappy that will be harder to acheive skaerkrow. I am working on acquiring FSX 21' which is a huge product and will take up quite a bit of time after wows fails. Particularly if nothing is done. There is also modern Cold War games and Naval battles sailing version among others. In short the money will stop flowing and the time approach zero with no regard or care for all those missions, grinds or whatever in wows. Operations will be the last played probably. If that is pulled then thats truly the end of it.

Edited by xHeavy

[TIMT]
Members
1,276 posts
4,779 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

If you don’t like it, you can quit the game and move on to something that you’ll enjoy more. 

Have you ever considered that many people still like the game to some extent, yet are very disappointed by the latest "additions"?

Like a product you think is 80-90% where you think it should be and you are enjoying it quite a bit. Then the company changes things (and there is no legacy mode), now it is about 50-60% what you like. You still like it, but you know that you could be enjoying it so much more if only those latest changes...well. Would you just go and say "well, time to do something completely different now" or would you tell the company that their latest improvements are not working at all?

Personally, since the patch dropped I only played two games and I am seriously looking into alternatives. However, this does not mean I will not voice concerns and my opinion on this update.

• Cool 3

[FNTRP]
Members
10 posts
7,296 battles

I can agree with most. As gamers we get used to things the way they were, and get most of it to work for us. then they come and change a major aspect to our customizable portion of the game and some people end up with out the one thing that made them really happy. I feel your frustration . i was starting to get very happy with playing cv now i feel that they are pointless to play as I don't have any captains with what I feel is minimum skill points to make them playable captain skill wise. 

It would be nice if game developers would listen to their player base like the 90s. I fear all they truly care for these days is money only. Unless revenue stops they wont change what they are doing and listen to us. but i will still voice my opinion like most , lol

Happy hunting all !

[WOLFG]
Members
1,049 posts
5 hours ago, Roscoe_W said:

I am a 75 yo retired software engineer, so I am technically savvy. However, time has taken its toll on my physical and mental quickness. WoWS is pretty much the only interactive game I have found where I can be reasonably competitive. I started playing shortly after its introduction. I will never be able to out-twitch a 20 yo, but by playing only BB’s, I can still be competitive. They rarely require fast reflexes or quick thinking. I can aim as well or better than most, and, with occasional lapses, I usually make good strategic decisions. I will never be elite, but consider myself a solid player and a plus to any team I end up on. I don’t live on WoWS, but I usually spend an hour or two each day. I play all my ships, including the low tiers. I have been trying to bring up my captain skills, but it has been slow going. I purchased long term premium time and obtained several premium ships to speed things up. I finally brought a few captains up to 19 points so I could earn elite XP and bring more captains up to that level.

Now with the latest update I feel like I have been set back about 2 years on captain skills. The piddling 5% now going to elite XP is an insult. To add injury to insult, WG has decided I can no longer have radio location. I  spent extra just to get this skill for all my captains. Without it I feel half blind. I don’t understand how WG came to this decision. It just makes no sense to me. I don’t see why skills should be limited by ship type.

After this update, my interest in playing WoWS has declined significantly. I do have a couple of suggestions which would revive my interest and enjoyment of the game.

1.       All captains of 19 points continue to earn 100% elite captain XP. The elite XP can be used to upgrade their own skill or the skills of any other captain.

I don’t know if WG pays any attention to the views of the average players like myself. I don’t know if they even read these posts. I hope they do, but don’t hold out much hope that players like myself will have any real influence on their decisions.

I still enjoy playing and will continue to play, but with less enthusiasm. However, I am hoping WG will make it interesting for me again.

Good hunting, everyone.

P.S. In an unrelated subject, I would sure like to see the same type of stats on shell that hit my ship as I seen on my own hits – i.e. number of bounces, overpens, pens, citadels, etc.

I completely understand this.  I'm only a tad bit younger than you and have been playing online games for a long time.  This one  appeals to me for the same reasons it appeals to you.  There aren't many 'non twitch' games around for those with a slow trigger finger.  I suppose I will continue to play, but I certainly won't spend any money on it.  I have now given up trying to get better, which even at my age was a goal. This patch just makes me a little sad.  

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,324 posts

Non twitch.

I LOVE IT. HAHAHA. I prefer the treachery of those with grey in their hair compared to predatory in youth.

What I try to do is plan the kills ahead of time and deploy the firepower preferably without the prey being aware and if warned somehow early there is nothing it can do. (Stop, turn, speed up etc)

Now if I can get all the whippersnappers out from under my fantail sticking out of my smoke etc...

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,238 posts
7,831 battles

Im somewhat in the same situation, but in my late 50's. Ive played online games since they were text only and before most people even knew about the internet. I actually played chess when there was only bulletin boards, you had to use a phone to dial in to a specific server and possibly pay long distance charges lol.

This is the only online game I play now, a non-twitch game for sure. I had hoped for a more in depth experience when I joined in beta, but WG has gone the other direction.....and now this captain skill rubbish......

[WOLFC]
Members
2,316 posts
12 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

This attitude gets a poster on ignore really quickly.

I am by  no means against this skill reset.

But I believe a civil response to it deserves civil engagement.

The OP raises good points.

That some people can't handle disagreement says more about them then the OP. 

BTW, being an edgelord isn't really all that much of an achievement.

Edited by Anonymous50
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
197 posts
2,356 battles
12 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

download.png.5897598592473ad706d998f000e195e4.png

You must be fun at parties 

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

13 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I don't know, it's bad enough that BBs get deadeye. Imagine those Russian heavy cruisers and super cruisers using it too.

Deadeye simply shouldn't exist for any ship type. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,316 posts
13 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Or the DD HE spammers.

[ANIME]
Beta Testers
134 posts
4,557 battles

By adding 2 skill points they increased the total xp required to max a captain by 70%. The last 2 skill points are 41% of all xp required for a maxed captain. The cost of the last 2 skill points is more than going from 1 to 17.

Members
17 posts
5,633 battles

Got a good laugh today. Played my T6 boats and received a super container - with 100 commander XP flags! Coincidence? I think not!

PS - Phone chess? Hi tech. I played postal chess - about a week between moves, a year to complete. Talk about a non-twitch game!