You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ole_seabee

What can a poor DD do now.

50 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
[TF16B]
Members
163 posts
16,670 battles

At higher tiers now all

cvs keeping ya spotted BBs sit back sniping crusers in center with longer radar than many dd torp ranges. I just think its time to go back to lower tiers for a bit. 

• Cool 4
  • Sad 1

[GOB]
Members
2,696 posts

I'm going to just say this once... don't spread it around...

Deadeye is the best thing to happen to DDs since torps.

Until people wise up and stop using it it's a free for all for DDs to flank and torp at will.

Some of my highest torp damage games have been since Deadeye went live.

But don't tell them!! 

PS I use it on my Thunderer BUT I know to keep moving and juking the whole time to avoid DD drivers like me.

shhhhhhh.gif

• Cool 4

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,732 posts
12,332 battles

image.png.8ba7693069ef235aac757ebe9222857b.png

Assassinate the enemy carrier 5 minutes into the game while the Deadbeats corral in areas that are not conducive to flank defense.

:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
20 minutes ago, ole_seabee said:

At higher tiers now all

cvs keeping ya spotted BBs sit back sniping cruisers in center with longer radar than many DD torp ranges. I just think its time to go back to lower tiers for a bit. 

1. Don't assume that CVs are always hunting for YOU.  There's an entire map for them to try to cover, and they're not always in the portion of the map where you are.

2. Not that you mentioned it, but don't assume that there's always enemy DDs on your portion of the map that will block your access to the enemy BBs (and cruisers) sniping from the rear.  If you can sneak closer to the enemy BBs, you can a) keep them spotted for your team and b) get close enough to launch torps on them.  But be  careful though, because when you start launching torps, if you're far from friendly AA support, the enemy may call in their CV to hunt you down, because they'll realize that your DD must be fairly close to launch torps on them that have a chance to hit.

• Boring 3

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
4 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Assassinate the enemy carrier 5 minutes into the game while the Deadbeats corral in areas that are not conducive to flank defense.

Indeed.  If you can spot the enemy CV and you have friendly BBs with the range to reach out and nuke that CV, keep that CV spotted.  Indeed, you're probably better off going for the kill from the friendly BB than you'd be by trying to get close enough to gun them  down, since that's a slow process that reveals yourself to the CV and gives it a chance to attack your DD.  If you're going to attack the CV, probably better to use torps, though even they will give the enemy CV a direction for searching.

CV assassinations may be better done with your team's CV doing the spotting than a DD trying to penetrate all the way into the enemy's rear areas so early in the battle.

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,570 posts
15 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

I haven't gone CV hunting in a while and I have some DDs to grind.  Good idea!

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,735 posts
4,268 battles

It’s actually better for DDs right now. Everyone is so far back you can pretty much cap with no issues. I was driving around cap circles in a CL last night unspotted. Just take advantage of everyone sitting back and cap out.

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
1,041 posts
3,938 battles
33 minutes ago, Crucis said:

1. Don't assume that CVs are always hunting for YOU.  There's an entire map for them to try to cover, and they're not always in the portion of the map where you are.

2. Not that you mentioned it, but don't assume that there's always enemy DDs on your portion of the map that will block your access to the enemy BBs (and cruisers) sniping from the rear.  If you can sneak closer to the enemy BBs, you can a) keep them spotted for your team and b) get close enough to launch torps on them.  But be  careful though, because when you start launching torps, if you're far from friendly AA support, the enemy may call in their CV to hunt you down, because they'll realize that your DD must be fairly close to launch torps on them that have a chance to hit.

CV's will focus an isolated BB all week and twice on tuesday before they will bother with DD's.

The one constant in this game is most people are selfish players.  It's just a reality.  As much as people complain about winning.  Winning is secondary to PR and damage for most people.

I am still kicking myself that in a particular game.  I gave up breaking my personal damage record....guaranteed to save the win for the team.  I was in the Mass B (current title is 224k I got in the Alsace)

Mogami and a DD got into our cap.  We had 1 DD and a Bismark in their cap and an amalfi out of the cap to run a screen.  They were ahead on base cap, I was the only one that could double back and reset them.  I had 210 ish thousand exact at this point.  I was facing toward the enemy cap, a FULL HEALTH North Carolina was about to clear an island 10km in front of me going back to defend their cap.  I was faced with a choice, roll this NC and secure my damage record.  Turn back to our cap now and attempt a reset.

I turned for the reset and BARELY succeeded.  Both ships were sitting in the DD's smoke and I was throwing blind shots with my spotter plane into the smoke.  Didn't hit anything until the smoke dissipated and the mogami lit up and I basically got about 7k worth of overpens on the mogami and DD when we pulled out the victory.  If I had it to do over again I would have said screw the win gimme that record.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist
  • Sad 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
3 minutes ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

CV's will focus an isolated BB all week and twice on tuesday before they will bother with DD's.

It depends on the player. Some will focus on isolated BBs, particularly whose with bad AA.  But some are more team oriented and will try to go after enemy DDs that are obviously capping, or will patrol caps early in battles to try to spot an enemy DD for their team or themselves.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,219 posts

Happy hunting time for Shima.

All the heavies are stuffed against the back row leaving the carrier open to assassination. The heavies can be scooped later at the far corner with a round of torps after they fled the detecting.

Just don't get detected. HEHE.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
58 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I'm going to just say this once... don't spread it around...

Deadeye is the best thing to happen to DDs since torps.

Until people wise up and stop using it it's a free for all for DDs to flank and torp at will.

Some of my highest torp damage games have been since Deadeye went live.

But don't tell them!! 

PS I use it on my Thunderer BUT I know to keep moving and juking the whole time to avoid DD drivers like me.

shhhhhhh.gif

... which is why they took RDF off of the bb skill tree... both of those would have been killer together. 

[SALVO]
Members
6,536 posts
5,215 battles
1 hour ago, ole_seabee said:

What can a poor DD do now

Dude, it is a great time to play DDs, since (some) cruiser players are disheartened jumping ship. 

1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

shhhhhhh.gif

:Smile_hiding:... I'm not telling... no.. not me... anymore

44 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

It’s actually better for DDs right now. Everyone is so far back you can pretty much cap with no issues. I was driving around cap circles in a CL last night unspotted. Just take advantage of everyone sitting back and cap out.

dude... you don't know what you are talking about... don't mind him guys, he's not being serious... 

1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

shhhhhhh.gif

12 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

... which is why they took RDF off of the bb skill tree... both of those would have been killer together

how?

[PHD]
Members
1,793 posts
7,225 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Also if you get inside their detection range the Deadeye skill goes away. So you spot and reduce their accuracy. 

Members
3,958 posts
14,337 battles

Based off what Im reading on this forum, and the small amount of games Ive played.

It almost seems DDs got indirectly buffed.

According to the forum, cruisers are now dead and BBs are now sniping. That should help DD players.

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
25 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Also if you get inside their detection range the Deadeye skill goes away. So you spot and reduce their accuracy. 

Not entirely true.  Deadeye only cares about SPOTTED enemy ships.  If you are in an unspotted DD and you're spotting an enemy Deadeye BB, it doesn't prevent that BB  from using Deadeye.

[GOB]
Members
2,696 posts
28 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Based off what Im reading on this forum, and the small amount of games Ive played.

It almost seems DDs got indirectly buffed.

According to the forum, cruisers are now dead and BBs are now sniping. That should help DD players.

No it's not a buff.  As soon as people learn not to just sit still in the back sniping in big O Balls of BBs then things will get back to normal.  Buffs last forever.

[FOXEH]
Members
1,952 posts
13,006 battles
2 hours ago, ole_seabee said:

At higher tiers now all

cvs keeping ya spotted BBs sit back sniping crusers in center with longer radar than many dd torp ranges. I just think its time to go back to lower tiers for a bit. 

I think this is appropriate.  

(56) The Last Starfighter (9/10) Movie CLIP - We Die (1984) HD - YouTube

Edited by comtedumas

Members
3,958 posts
14,337 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

As soon as people learn not to just sit still in the back sniping in big O Balls of BBs then things will get back to normal. 

I agree.

3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Buffs last forever.

No they dont.

[SYN]
Members
1,417 posts
10,915 battles

Torp the CV after he has given up. I was attacked four times by two squadrons , then he quit. I didn't. 

shot-21.01.22_18.19.07-0269.jpg

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Dude, it is a great time to play DDs, since (some) cruiser players are disheartened jumping ship. 

:Smile_hiding:... I'm not telling... no.. not me... anymore

dude... you don't know what you are talking about... don't mind him guys, he's not being serious... 

how?

Especially late game a BB may have a dd or two they cannot locate. RDF gives them that ability. They can load HE and keep the bow more or less pointing towards the nearest red. Meanwhile they can snipe any ship to way the heck out there with an increased accuracy, right? The dd would have to show to break the benefit and be within range. With extended secondary fire available, RDF just couldn't be allowed. Imagine Deadeye, RDF and boosted secondaries. That was my plan for the Great Reset. Unfortunately it is no longer possible.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,536 posts
5,215 battles
19 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Especially late game a BB may have a dd or two they cannot locate. RDF gives them that ability. They can load HE and keep the bow more or less pointing towards the nearest red. Meanwhile they can snipe any ship to way the heck out there with an increased accuracy, right? The dd would have to show to break the benefit and be within range. With extended secondary fire available, RDF just couldn't be allowed. Imagine Deadeye, RDF and boosted secondaries. That was my plan for the Great Reset. Unfortunately it is no longer possible.

ok, not what I would spec but I see your point

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
27 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

ok, not what I would spec but I see your point

Thanks, that's awfully kind of you. :cap_like:

I do play a weird version of WoWS on some ships. Heh heh. 

• Cool 1