You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whiskey_Rebel

What are cruisers for?

19 comments in this topic

Members
479 posts
2,867 battles

So after getting yelled at for not shooting / radaring DDs, but then getting blapped by Deadeye BBs when I move up, I'm wondering what to do with cruisers (mainly US and KM) now. The KM cruisers don't appear to have the agility to dodge BB fire. The US cruisers are more agile, but that defense is canceled by the need to move in even closer to hit things or use radar. I could go with RU cruisers for more range and accuracy, but they're fragile, have no vision control, and are even less maneuverable.

Thoughts?

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,586 posts

All i did was curiser and CV.

CV have alot of build options and are interesting

Not sure about cruisers.  I trued to use the 8 percent reload buff but it seems to do nothing.

Then torp skill usless.  So not sure.

• Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
376 posts
10,325 battles

KriegsMarine cruisers play well at long range (because of their high-velocity guns) and at very short range (because of their turtleback armor, hydro, and torpedoes). They do not survive well at medium ranges, say 10-15km for Hipper.
With their excellent hydroacoustic search, they can protect a flank from torpedo ambush and they can end a DD who gets too close. (As I DD player, I utterly loathe the KM ship that sits behind a small island near a cap. I push in, get lit by radar, take cover against an island, and then...hydro pops up and there's no escape.)

When shooting BBs and super-cruisers, I generally use HE. KM HE gets a bonus to penetration, so it's never the wrong choice. On the other hand, against broadside cruisers and even some BBs, German AP shells bring down the house.

I usually play Hindenburg in Clan Battles. The latest skill change removed some of the survivability from cruisers in general, but I didn't need those with the Unique Upgrade module anyway. I expect it will continue to be Battleship Hindenburg.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,588 posts
6,899 battles

Go for a build that gives you the same concealment as your firing range (Hinden gets 17.9km detection on 17.8km firing range with double rudder) and abuse the dpm skills. 

That's what cruiser gameplay has degenerated to.

[SALVO]
Members
6,644 posts
5,255 battles

One would think after grinding Cruiser lines you would already have the answer on how to deal with all those issues. 

You'll want to review 3 concepts: Use of terrain, use of concealment, limiting engagement arcs.

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
29,592 posts
25,666 battles
22 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Go for a build that gives you the same concealment as your firing range (Hinden gets 17.9km detection on 17.8km firing range with double rudder) and abuse the dpm skills. 

That's what cruiser gameplay has degenerated to.

I saw that synergy in the skill system and it is... Different.

IMO, that only works for Cruisers with shells, gunnery that reliably hits at long range.  Venezia, Zao, Hindenburg, Moskva, yes... But that doesn't work for Des Moines or other Cruisers with floatier shells.

I'm guessing with people standing off so much not wanting to get focus fired for one wrong move, that island camping Cruisers isn't as lucrative as before?  Because if there's one consistent thing with island camping Cruisers, is they don't have railguns like some of the other Cruiser Lines do.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
479 posts
2,867 battles
7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

One would think after grinding Cruiser lines you would already have the answer on how to deal with all those issues. 

You'll want to review 3 concepts: Use of terrain, use of concealment, limiting engagement arcs.

Yeah I've read the wiki, thanks. Cruisers used to exist in the space that allowed them to contribute without getting dev struck. That space is now gone. I've been repeatedly taken for 75%+ of my hp just trying to get into position to hit DDs in caps. This is a new problem, and it seems like the solution is to hang back with the BBs. Maybe at the longest ranges I can at least be a less enticing target than the fat, slow BBs.

[STAR]
Members
569 posts
21,320 battles

Ok... I have seen a lot of Pepega here, so I came to give the first steps about how to play with those cruisers you mentioned in specific.

For Kriegsmarine cruisers there are 2 types: the light ones and the heavy ones, they play different from each other.

The cruisers armed with 150mm guns are DPM monsters, but they lack survivability, they are there from tiers I-VI, take island cover with them and abuse their high velocity, but high drag shells to do it. So learn about the maps that exist and which islands are suited for cover and which ones arent.

The heavy ones armed with 203/210mm guns have poor DPM, but better than average armor scheme. Yorck has 25mm plating that makes her capable of bouncing BB AP as large as 356mm shells while the Hipper-class (except Mainz and Tallinn), Roon and Hindenburg have 27mm plating making them invulnerable to 381mm AP shells while angled.

Now going for the US Navy.

The light cruisers have high DPM, but poor survivability and awfull balistics, they are one of the most reliant ships when it comes to island cover in the game. Ironically the bad shell arcs helps them get closer to the islands and avoid return fire. In open maps train your hit and run gameplay. Also they have a lot of utility with their available consumables, they have a lot of them at high tiers.

The heavy cruisers have average DPM (except Des Moines), they have powerfull AP to deal with cruisers, decent armor, but poor handling... that means that even with some BB shells bouncing on the hull, most of the salvo will land and deal damage. Not enough balistics to fire over most islands, so position on the side of them to reduce the number of ships that can engage u.

If u want more I will come back with more advices

[M-V]
Members
2 posts
4,997 battles

First thing, turn off chat. The more vocal and toxic members of the community are using the rework as their excuse to berate other players for not going along with their "yolo or nothing" gameplay wishes. While it is perfectly understandable that folks are not happy with the rework / state of the meta, there is no reason you have to take their abuse.

As for cruiser gameplay.... it is very difficult to support caps or hunt DD's if your own BB's are not going to move up. Especially on maps with no cover, if you move up, you are the only thing to shoot at. So right now the only option is to play ships that are comfortable at long range. Mid range cruisers like the US ones are kinda out of luck right now. However, I am having plenty of success with Russia, Japan and the Germans. You just have to adapt your gameplay and go with the flow. You might not think long range sniping is fun, but it is better than being dead 1 min into the game.

Beta Testers
3,287 posts
26,944 battles
50 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

They are  only good as targets.............................

[NG-NL]
Members
376 posts
10,325 battles
51 minutes ago, Zedexis said:

First thing, turn off chat. The more vocal and toxic members of the community are using the rework as their excuse to berate other players

There are some toxic players and some friendly ones. And chat is how a lot of team communication happens.
I happily work with the good ones, and mute players who cross the line.

But yes, some advice is from players who don't understand the game. Khabarovsk is not a cap dueler. Hindenburg can't slug it out with a Des Moines at 10km. Östergötland is not going to lay smoke.
On the other hand, I've gotten some great tips from players who read the map better than I do. And from players who ask me to push up (I play a lot of DDs) and they'll support. There's a lot to learn in this game.

Edited by imaginary_b

[GOOF]
Members
801 posts
6,681 battles

Cruiser mains are for being blapped by BBS. 

Ifhe nerf to cruisers, AA nerf to cruisers, AP buff to dive bombers the can nuke cruisers, deadeye so BBS can detonate cruisers more often.

Why is the game so obviously against this class.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,974 posts
13,627 battles

Targets for camping BBs.

[WAIFU]
Members
852 posts
11,408 battles

cruisers still rock. Just have to play more carefully and position even better than before. But cvs teach you how to do that anyway. Im having fun farming thunderers and conqs camping in the back with my alexander nevesky.

Members
479 posts
2,867 battles

Oooo, I think I figured it out. I moved von Jutland to the Scharnhorst for Deadeye and now I'm back where I started, just at a lower tier. I even get Vigilance back!

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Under the new skill system, WG wants cruisers to be pure glass cannons, that spam intense damage and then die fast -- nothing else. 

Members
3,959 posts
14,386 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Under the new skill system, WG wants cruisers to be pure glass cannons, that spam intense damage and then die fast -- nothing else. 

Im still pretty easily capping in my cruisers. Still need more games to see how they hold up.