You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Khafni

Fen Yang Penetration (or lack thereof...)

6 comments in this topic

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,479 posts
23,914 battles

WG rolls out the Fen Yang. It's more or less an Akizuki clone having similar ship-handling and AA. It is distinguished from the 'Zukis by carrying deep-water torps, only good against BB and CV, and hydro plus defensive AA. I'd say this is balanced.

It has the same 100mm cannon as well. But not the same, really.

1. Akizuki pens 30mm of armor (with 5% chance of fire.)
  2. Fen Yang pens 17mm (with 8% chance of fire.) 
  3. Asashio has 19mm of fore, aft, and side plating. 

Charging or running from Fen Yang in Asashio is pretty safe, IMHO, unless the chaser can always hit the superstructure.

Sure you can spec for IFHE (and probably should) to get 21mm of pen (with 4% chance of fire).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WG, could a mistake have been inadvertently made here?

1. The IJN 100's have a buffed pen to make them competitive. Was it a mistake to not give this to Fen Yang?

OR

2. Fen Yang has guns that fit the penetration mechanic. Was it a mistake to buff all the other IJN 100's?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will happily remain a Fen Yang-less DD main until one or the other mistake is resolved.

Edited by Khafni

[USN]
Members
1,640 posts
21,143 battles
6 minutes ago, Khafni said:

WG, could a mistake have been inadvertently made here

Fen Yang started with 30mm pen, but WG got rid of it before live testing, and coupled with the reload nerfs, Fen Yang is basically garbage and I see no reason to play this over Lo Yang or Siliwangi.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF8]
Members
739 posts
9,631 battles

I was going to make a (probably bad) Fang Fang joke here, but thought better of it :Smile_hiding:

• Haha 1

[KWF]
Members
6,397 posts
7,154 battles

Just by giving the ship a /5 HE formula to penetrate 20mm of armor (most DD plating and all ship superstructures) Fen Yang would be somewhat interested. As is, it's just a hobbled ship with a myriad of gimmicks to somewhat make up for it.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,603 posts
14,468 battles

Hey

I tried one game and that game SUCKED for like 2200 damage and dead.  The guns failed big time against T10's and the only pens was a smoked DD; got cut down by radar, hydro and enemy ships.  To be fair, my teams Friesland didn't fair much better since we had no support thanks to the boring sit at spawn game play from team mates.   Needless to say the enemy only lost 3 ships the entire game when it ended.

Pete

[BZERK]
Members
117 posts
17,988 battles

Well at least she has ok AP, I'm really not happy about the CV,BB DWT I would play Assashio for those DWT, more range to boot. Thank God I got her in a crate so no $ spent. and the "new and ""correct""                                                                spelling is now FenYang lol 😆