You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hateboat

The Captain Skills Poll

Captain Skills Poll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Will the new captain skills be an improvement?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  2. 2. Are the new captain skills a money/doublon grab?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  3. 3. Does this poll need a bacon option?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

28 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles

Are you happy with the new captain skills that will be implemented with the next patch? Will the new captain skills be an improvement?

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,079 posts

Its a net loss. And require more resources to make up.

One workaround I decided to do is dispose of the future 4 point superintendent and traverse etc. That will gain the two points lost. The ships will survive the battle long enough to make use of them except Operations.

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles
3 minutes ago, HonniSoitQuiMalYPense said:

Are you happy with the new captain skills that will be implemented with the next patch? Will the new captain skills be an improvement?

Define improvement, under which parameters. Define money grab, which parameters

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

Define improvement, under which parameters. Define money grab, which parameters

improvement = you have net positive feelings compared to the current status quo

money grab = you will be a net poorer person compared with the current status quo

you didn't ask about the bacon, but i'll let that pass.

• Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,643 battles

Very glad to hear about the tweak to improve German BB secondaries, that's a big step in the right direction. However this is clearly an effort to raise the ceiling for players to maximize their captain skills, while also limiting what are really viable skill lines to customize to game play. The exponential increase in XP required to go from 19-21 is a clear grab at trying to get players to spend money on converting captains & xp over. The 500 + 600 to earn doubloons does very little to mitigate that.

As to the actual skills, IMO by far the worst on the game META is the improved accuracy at range for BBs will make it more of a sniping & sitting game. The lack of survivability skills for battle cruisers limits play options, the nerfs to range boosts for light cruisers & dakka-DDs also reduces play options, and is a less than subtle way of nerfing premium ships like the Smolensk.

If WG had done what they're claiming about creating more viable play styles, while pushing up the max line for Captain XP that would've been fine - but that's not really what they're doing at all. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles

Yes

Probably yes for some it will be

Yes

[FEM]
Members
2,108 posts
17,811 battles

It remains to be seen whether it will result in more diverse build choices and therefore be an improvement. As for cashgrab? Nah not really

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles
5 minutes ago, HonniSoitQuiMalYPense said:

Then yes, tho since you ask about "feelings" it makes the point moot. Feelings are rather useless as a metric.

9 minutes ago, HonniSoitQuiMalYPense said:

money grab = you will be a net poorer person compared with the current status quo

Then no, I'm no losing any money over this, I won't be poorer.

• Meh 1

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

You know, I got into this game to have an enjoyable time fighting surface ships of my favorite time periods.  I most certainly did not get into it to play a mathematics/economic mini game of the type we will soon be getting with the new skills update.

I can see nothing about this change that adds to my enjoyment of playing.  Not one thing.

I like bacon, a heck of a lot more than this new skills rebork tap dancing dog and pony show.

• Cool 3

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
6 minutes ago, Kebobs22 said:

It remains to be seen whether it will result in more diverse build choices and therefore be an improvement. As for cashgrab? Nah not really

I predict it will result in chaos the 1st few weeks as players try to work out/experiment the most fun and engaging builds.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,567 posts
13,014 battles

Don't really Know .

Don't really care . 

Yes every poll needs a bacon option .

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,708 posts
7,103 battles

Roughly 400 MORE battles to get the same level of power from your captain build.   Build "variety" will barely change except for a few very specific ships that can make best use of very specific new skills, have all builds be 90% the same instead of 100% the same isn't what I would call "diversity" in build types.   

Given how much you can do/are expect to do with doubloons, its CLEARLY another sorta of money grab...WG can't just make the arsenal load of money they make now, they need ALL THE MONEY EVER from their whaling playerbase, gotta increase that revenue every quarter or the shareholders get upset.     

Many ships that used to be fun to play will become unplayable garbage that never gets played again by basically anyone.

Bacon.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
843 posts
7,628 battles

Just feels like a stirring of the stewpot.   Whether or not it does any good for the recipe in the long run, I couldn't tell ya.  Also, bacon seems to enhance any dish it's added to.

[VAST_]
Members
297 posts
7,314 battles

My highest captain still only has 18 pts. I just don't get as much playing time in as most commenting here I guess; as a fairly average/casual (but trying to improve!) non-daily player it is hard to see how all this will greatly change my current level of enjoyment of the game, but I am reserving judgment until after the update. As I do have a few German BB's I'm curious about the secondary changes; as for the other changes I just can't summon up the interest to read over the charts of all the new skills/skill changes. The only thing in the game that sometimes makes me want to uninstall is the issues with CVs and I don't see much about that being addressed, so... shrug.

Keeping an open mind for now, hoping it's not less fun after the update. As for the cash grab, well yes, not really any disputing that, but as others have said, it is optional right?

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,553 battles
1 hour ago, ElAurens said:

You know, I got into this game to have an enjoyable time fighting surface ships of my favorite time periods.  I most certainly did not get into it to play a mathematics/economic mini game of the type we will soon be getting with the new skills update.

I can see nothing about this change that adds to my enjoyment of playing.  Not one thing.

I think you really nail it with this.... 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,703 battles
1 hour ago, HonniSoitQuiMalYPense said:

you didn't ask about the bacon, but i'll let that pass.

Oh crap, can I change my answers?

I'll have fun redoing the skills, and I only spend money on premium.

• Funny 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
1 hour ago, HonniSoitQuiMalYPense said:

This change is a perfect example of watch out what you ask for.

For quite some time many, including myself have asked for additional skill points to earn. Now we are getting 2. Two additional points earned the current way would not add much with the current skill tree. 2 1 point skills that may not be useful or 1 2 point skill that may or may not be useful.

WG took care of that by revamping or as soon say reborking the skill tree from 1 size fits all into 1 purposed for each ship type. This of course is all well and good except for what is seen to be a net loss overall for each ship type, along with the credit/doubloon cost if one chooses the mix and match Captains to gain a few Skill point by paying for it.

The simple thing to do, not a WG strong point would be to just raise the earnable skill points to 21. Then add in the new skills to choose from and keep the current ones with 2, 3 and 4 points skills cost reduced by 1. That way if one keeps the skills they have one could add new skills with the points gained from that 2, 3, and 4 skills cost reduction.

The one nice thing is the free? skills reset starting on the 21st.

The convoluted jump through hoops of fire credit/doubloon cost part of any of this is an insult to all players F2P and Wallet Warriors.

Sometimes all one can do id !:! throw one's arms up and exclaim some random colorful phrases then move along.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Based on the poll results, looks like even some people who believe these changes are good, might still understand WG's real motivations. 

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
12 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Based on the poll results, looks like even some people who believe these changes are good, might still understand WG's real motivations. 

Yes indeed, the majority do seem to have seen through the smoke and mirrors marketing of the Captain Skills update.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,358 posts
12,332 battles

For the record, putting a poll up in here or on Reddit is not a good way to get a real sample of the player base reaction. About 80% of the players on the forum are angry players with an ax to grind or are trolls. Happy players rarely come to the forums. Same is true for Reddit, although it is a little more troll heavy. I find Facebook to be a much more reliable source of satisfaction information, but only through reactions and polls on their. Commenters tend to also be the angry crowd. That said, I am not convinced a majority of the player base really knows what is going to happen as a result of these changes. The game is definitely about to shift, but what to is uncertain.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,358 posts
12,332 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Right on queue, "forums don't represent the playerbase" comment.

:Smile_smile:

It really doesn't

Bear in mind, I didn't realize it until I saw major disparities in reaction numbers on social media platforms. Things that people would respond to negatively with words would also draw positive simple reactions in much larger numbers. Dissatisfied people complain. Happy people do nothing or give a simple positive reaction.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I literally predicted someone would drag that tired old canard out on the other poll thread a few minutes prior.