You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

Not sure I understand the new meta WG wants to push

130 comments in this topic

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles

Dead Eye: reduces the dispersion of the battleship's main battery shells if there are no visible hostile ships within your ship's standard detectability range. Complement this skill with Concealment Expert and Concealment System Modification 1 to make it even more effective.

Top Grade Gunner: reduces the reload time of the cruiser's main battery after an enemy has been spotted within your ship's standard detectability range.

So, BBs stay in the back and cruisers yolo in and tank? Shouldn't these skills have been reversed for the ship types in question?

• Cool 12
  • Meh 4

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles

Outnumbered: reduces the dispersion of the cruiser's main battery shells, and increases the ship's maximum speed if there are more visible hostile ships than allies within the standard firing range of your ship's main battery. The skill is useful both when pushing through the flanks and capturing Key Areas.

Seriously, wth is this? Cruisers that do this die and lose matches. Why would this kind of play be encouraged? The only time I could imagine this being useful is for a high speed flanking kiting cruiser who is being a distraction.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 4

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,079 posts

You DO NOT want to be detected and focused by the entire Red Team. Calculating the situation locally before opening fire in a Cruiser is one of the keys to survival.

You will find that I don't shoot much in a cruiser unless I can be sure of a kill and GET AWAY from the scene of the crime before being deleted by any number of reds.

Firing shells the size of railroad boxcars capable of deleting the Kremlin with megatonnage is not going to save you when your detection got to pot and 9 other Reds opened fire on you.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Meh 1

[NSEW]
Members
528 posts
4,274 battles

If they get more Cruisers to yolo and die this means less radar / hydro screening for BBs.

Meaning there is less cap retaking and more BBs getting fraged by DDs.

Games end on points even quicker after a 3 minute brawl in the opener.

I'm guessing that's what they went for?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
2 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

You DO NOT want to be detected and focused by the entire Red Team. Calculating the situation locally before opening fire in a Cruiser is one of the keys to survival.

You will find that I don't shoot much in a cruiser unless I can be sure of a kill and GET AWAY from the scene of the crime before being deleted by any number of reds.

Firing shells the size of railroad boxcars capable of deleting the Kremlin with megatonnage is not going to save you when your detection got to pot and 9 other Reds opened fire on you.

I'm not sure how any of that relates to the captain skills brought up, but I think the second line you wrote isn't a very good way to use your cruisers.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 2

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

I actually like the idea of the creation of a battleship dead zone, where battleships hang in the back. This creates a positive zone of entry for destroyer players to push up into areas they know are safe, and penetrate the shooting lines and reduce accuracy. A DD pushed 10km from a hostile Conq, for example, basically nullifies this skill at no risk to the DD.

• Meh 1

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
1 minute ago, Compassghost said:

I actually like the idea of the creation of a battleship dead zone, where battleships hang in the back. This creates a positive zone of entry for destroyer players to push up into areas they know are safe, and penetrate the shooting lines and reduce accuracy. A DD pushed 10km from a hostile Conq, for example, basically nullifies this skill at no risk to the DD.

It doesn't though because as long as the DD is unspotted, the BB keeps the perks of the skill.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
19 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

So, BBs stay in the back and cruisers yolo in and tank? Shouldn't these skills have been reversed for the ship types in question?

If they wanted cruisers to tank, they wouldn't be stripping off the survival options on captain builds in favor of more damage spam.

The meta WG wants to push is the one where we spend more money, that's all you ever need to understand about any change they make to this game -- gameplay, balance, enjoyment, etc, none of it matters, it can all go to hell as far as WG is concerned, as long as they can wring more blood from the stone.

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 2

[STURM]
Members
738 posts
6,338 battles

Well, this is one of the stupider topics I've seen in a while.

Seriously, I could make the exact opposite argument. Let me give it a try... ahem:

Close Quarters Expert: reduces the reload time of the battleship's main battery after an enemy has been spotted within the firing range of your ship's secondary battery.

Heavy HE and SAP Shells: increases the damage of the cruiser's HE and SAP shells by 10%, but also increases the detectability of ships with a main battery caliber of 149 mm and above by 15%.

Wow, so WG wants BBs to yolo in and die and cruisers to stay way in the back and just spam damage? Blah Blah WG bad.

Why do you feel the need to cherry pick when there are other things that we should be discussing? Like WG greedy way of monetizing the new skills, or the ridiculous amount of EXP needed to get to the new skill cap?

• Cool 4
  • Meh 2

[SIM]
Members
5,908 posts
9,428 battles

I think that they actually want cruisers playing forward positions behind island cover, and BBs hanging back and relying on their armor and heals to survive. Right now cruisers and battleships often contend for the same island cover. 

I’m not saying that I agree with any of it, but that seems to be the logic. 

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles
16 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

It doesn't though because as long as the DD is unspotted, the BB keeps the perks of the skill.

*pulls out torpedoes* Then DEATH WILL BE HIS DEMISE.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
843 posts
7,628 battles
5 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I think that they actually want cruisers playing forward positions behind island cover, and BBs hanging back and relying on their armor and heals to survive. Right now cruisers and battleships often contend for the same island cover. 

I’m not saying that I agree with any of it, but that seems to be the logic. 

Yeah.  Recent BB prem releases with their armour schemes seem to encourage more long-ranged strategies.  Ex:  Diving the lines with a Florida or Champagne doesn't seem like an optimal playstyle.

Members
280 posts
10,180 battles

I am thinking the purpose of the Dead Eye skill will be to allow the BB to take a reasonably lethal shot at that DD who just smoked up after getting spotted; he just disappeared, so you know where he is, but you're not locked onto him, so you lose that benefit, you get this instead. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,840 posts
29,498 battles
6 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Yeah.  Recent BB prem releases with their armour schemes seem to encourage more long-ranged strategies.  Ex:  Diving the lines with a Florida or Champagne doesn't seem like an optimal playstyle.

Except my long range gunnery is garbage, and I can only reliably hit things by getting (relatively) close?

31 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If they wanted cruisers to tank, they wouldn't be stripping off the survival options on captain builds in favor of more damage spam.

The meta WG wants to push is the one where we spend more money, that's all you ever need to understand about any change they make to this game -- gameplay, balance, enjoyment, etc, none of it matters, it can all go to hell as far as WG is concerned, as long as they can wring more blood from the stone.

Basically WoT MkII.

• Cool 2

Members
1,701 posts
2,065 battles
47 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Seriously, wth is this? Cruisers that do this die and lose matches.

Seriously, what game do you play? This is how I win matches.

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
5 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Give me some replays of you winning games where your cruiser is off alone and outnumbered. I play cruiser more than anything else and that's a situation I'd usually prefer not to be in.

Edit: bro, the high tier cruiser you've played outside of co-op is T3... And in Co-op it's 1 game in T4

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[KWF]
Members
6,708 posts
7,321 battles

And it just so happens that a new line of BBs soon to be released is capable of getting unspotted on demand, courtesy of the exhaust smoke generator.  100% sure this won't be combined for some disgusting accuracy when needed.

It's ok though, after 2-3 months if deadeye becomes too prevalent and after people have spent money on Italian BBs the skill will be nerfed or removed.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,703 battles
56 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

So, BBs stay in the back and cruisers yolo in and tank? 

I don't think WG is trying to drive a meta shift, so much as give people playing "incorrectly" the chance to contribute a little more. 

Basically, back line snipers won't be completely useless, and YOLOing cruisers can do more damage before going under ..

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

I don't think WG is trying to drive a meta shift, so much as give people playing "incorrectly" the chance to contribute a little more. 

Basically, back line snipers won't be completely useless, and YOLOing cruisers can do more damage before going under ..

lol I guess that's a good way to look at it

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,703 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

And it just so happens that a new line of BBs soon to be released is capable of getting unspotted on demand, courtesy of the exhaust smoke generator.  100% sure this won't be combined for some disgusting accuracy when needed.

The skill works on base ranges, unmodified by camo or CE. (or smoke)

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,703 battles
14 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

lol I guess that's a good way to look at it

It makes sense to me.

"Bad teammates" are a major complaint, and you can't make them better, and can't make them play smarter.

All you can do is make the game easier somehow. But if you just make it easier across the board, the better players just get better.

So you target common "bad" behaviours, and make the results less bad. You could fairly easily close the skill gap to wherever you wanted. (you never want to get it too close, or else the good players will switch to that gameplay, and do better than they were before)

It strikes me as maybe they want to drive a "no meta" meta lol.

[RBMK]
Members
2,339 posts
36,760 battles
1 hour ago, black_hull4 said:

I really, really, really, really, really doubt that.

I also know that that strategy T8 and above is suicide.

<removed snarky comments that serve no useful purpose here>

[FRR]
Members
1,044 posts
17,974 battles
2 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Dead Eye: reduces the dispersion of the battleship's main battery shells if there are no visible hostile ships within your ship's standard detectability range. Complement this skill with Concealment Expert and Concealment System Modification 1 to make it even more effective.

Top Grade Gunner: reduces the reload time of the cruiser's main battery after an enemy has been spotted within your ship's standard detectability range.

In my experience, that has been happening for quite some time already. I've seen Thunderers, Minnesotas, GKs—basically powerful battleships—all huddled inside one grid square, behind an island. What they do is to try to take shots at the enemy team that's setting up some nasty cross fires. In 3 minutes or so, my teammates are sunk. Me, almost always on a cruiser, would have no other choice but to avoid getting caught in that cross fire. 

DDs? Many of them even asked for Intelligence Data. Marvelous! Worst of all, I then see in-game chat messages from one of the BBs, saying the team is potato this, potato that.

Perhaps this rework will force all of us to rethink how we play our favorite ships in this game. Perhaps it might even force those who are afraid of getting the paint jobs on their premium ships scratched to leave PVP battles entirely. Lastly, I think those who will quickly adapt to the changes will be able maximize these reworked skills to their benefit. 

• Cool 2

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,946 battles

So they want BB's to snipe more?

Well at least they are trying to shake things up.