You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kingpin61

ZF2's plans are digitized and available online- there's no reason for the model to be so wrong

71 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles

I... need a break, and a decently sized bottle of beer...

Parrot trying to drink thru straw | Cute birds, Pet birds, Cockatiel

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
19,048 posts
7,381 battles

This post has given me the ability to kill.

The first person who quotes Gröner dies first.

Honestly ZF2 was done so horrifically bad it's sickening. Like, what kind of crack is the design department smoking? WarGaming can hit me up with their dealer because what they're smoking is what I want.

Edited by _Sarcasticat_
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,457 posts
1,963 battles

My expectations were low but I am still disappointed. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles

Wait, aren't these practically French captured destroyers that actually existed?

How can they go wrong with this stuff?

Beta Testers
19,048 posts
7,381 battles

I had thought that ZF2 was already heading in the wrong direction with MBRB, but I figured the worst that could happen is that they would add a twin 12.8cm/45 SK C/41 in accordance with Gröner instead of according to the actual plans.

Honestly, how could you not be embarrassed to show this model? Is this a late April Fools? It's so horrifically incorrect for absolutely NO reason that it makes me physically ill to have witnessed. On top of that, the rest of the German 15cm line is a disgrace to behold all on it's own. Please just stop, stick to Agincourt and Hyuga.

Don't worry kids, this sort of mockery is coming soon to your PanAm and PanEuro lines just as soon as they can fart them out.

Edited by _Sarcasticat_
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles
7 minutes ago, _Sarcasticat_ said:

I had thought that ZF2 was already heading in the wrong direction with MBRB, but I figured the worst that could happen is that they would add a twin 12.8cm/45 SK C/41 in accordance with Gröner instead of according to the actual plans.

But instead they decide to add 120MM GUNS, a caliber NOT ON A NATIVE GERMAN OR FRENCH DD, all in the WRONG PLACES and then had the audacity to stream their awful design LIVE to the community. 

Who knows, they might have found some Bofors 120mm's lying around on the floor :fish_boom:. Or they stole some from the Brits.

My only plausible explanation has to do with HE penetration as 120mm would be only able to pen 30mm of armor, making the ship incapable of damaging BB extremities and decks. 32mm penetration + reload booster could be nasty.

Edited by warheart1992

Beta Testers
19,048 posts
7,381 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Who knows, they might have found some Bofors 120mm's lying around on the floor :fish_boom:. Or they stole some from the Brits.

My only plausible explanation has to do with HE penetration as 120mm would be only able to pen 30mm of armor, making the ship incapable of damaging BB extremities and decks.

None of which happened.

It's solely a balancing decision that did not need to happen and the cost is...whatever they did to poor ZF2.

• Cool 1

[REKTD]
Members
708 posts
11,925 battles

I had a similar question regarding the USS Florida design - the only imagery I’ve seen for the quad turrets has a traditional KGV style spacing, not the “missing tooth” gap seen in the French BB designs. I was wondering if the design team was just taking it easy or something...then I saw this about the ZF-2 design!

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles
16 minutes ago, _Sarcasticat_ said:

None of which happened.

It's solely a balancing decision that did not need to happen and the cost is...whatever they did to poor ZF2.

I'm sure the response you will get is that some sekrit documents were found that prove you wrong or something. 

Sad how an interesting design is getting butchered.

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
19,048 posts
7,381 battles

An interesting design getting butchered is something we can agree on. 

Though of course they have no source that beats mine; it's literally the primary source. The same one Kingpin posted. I bought them before they were available online. 

• Meh 1

Members
754 posts
19,884 battles
12 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

I had a similar question regarding the USS Florida design - the only imagery I’ve seen for the quad turrets has a traditional KGV style spacing, not the “missing tooth” gap seen in the French BB designs. I was wondering if the design team was just taking it easy or something...then I saw this about the ZF-2 design!

In that case- Gibbs & Cox designed a quadruple 406mm turret for Russia, and that used the French BB style spacing. So i'm much more lenient now that i've found the sketch of the quad.Screenshot_20201207-165838_Drive.jpg

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,229 posts
13,912 battles

yeah, im gonna file this one under "Oof size: GIANT"

[FOXY]
Members
3,226 posts
8,096 battles

i dont get it, when i was 3d modeling and i had an exact blueprint to go off, it made it *SO* much easier to get the model 95%+ correct. Why would you make up your own design of a ship that..actually existed? Like..paper ships are cool. But if a blue print exists, go off that please? guess thats to much to ask.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Members
9,229 posts
13,912 battles

so much for that "historically accurate models for premiums" thing they said back then

[TFFOX]
Members
1,130 posts
4,329 battles

Wow. This is... disappointing.

[SIM]
Members
5,906 posts
9,414 battles

Even better, as announced this ship will be constructed via a dockyard event that begins with drawing up the blueprints :fish_panic:

• Funny 4

[TWE]
Beta Testers
364 posts
1,956 battles
45 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Even better, as announced this ship will be constructed via a dockyard event that begins with drawing up the blueprints :fish_panic:

Oh the delicious irony. I guess this will now just be another dockyard I can pass on. But at least this brings the Hardi-class hulls into the game, which does bode well for future French DD split!

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SNGNS]
Members
611 posts
7,050 battles

are we sure these are the german plans? or the french ones. zf 2 was a captured french dd slotted for finishing in german drydocks.

so, are we sure these are the german plans or the captured french ones...

[AAA]
Members
258 posts
20,849 battles

WG got so accustomed to creating fake paper ships, they forgot how to read blueprints. 

[SIMP]
Members
1,702 posts

Well, being it is a captured French ship that the Germans never completed (it was eventually was scrapped all together in 1943), I guess WeeGee said, 'Ah screw it, let's do what ever we want. Paper ships are the best! That worked out great for our fake Russian BBs! Screw historical stuff - it's toooooooooooooo hard."

• Meh 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,144 posts
26,918 battles
2 hours ago, SuperComm4 said:

The Florida we have in the game is not like how one of the alternate North Carolina-class designs were going to be.  The USN never built quad-gun Battleship turrets before.  For 356mm armed NC-class designs, there were a few possibilities:

356mm x9 in triple gun turrets, all forward.

356mm x12 in triple gun turrets.

USN decided for neither and went for 406mm.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 hours ago, Kingpin61 said:

ZF2's plans are digitized and available online- there's no reason for the model to be so wrong

Sure there's a reason.

#WarGaming.