You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

wth is up with the Ships and Fate campaign?

62 comments in this topic

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles

I never remembered these campaigns being a chore or anything in the past new years campaigns, but this time it seems pretty damn crazy. Once you get to missions 4, 5, and 6, the number of stars you need to complete the mission are really high and the missions themselves which only award 2 or 3 stars each are a hell of a grind considering you're just working towards a low tier tech tree ship with a perma camo. Why turn what used to be a casual fun campaign into such a grindfest?

• Cool 18
  • Boring 2

[ALLY]
Members
436 posts
22,341 battles

Swift,

I would have to agree with you that the grind is becoming excessive.  I have not finished the first one for this because I am still working on Strasbourg and I refuse to purchase it when I can get it for free.  If it is anything like the grind for Strasbourg, I will not be killing myself to get tech tree ships with a permanent camo.  I do play Tier 5, but I do not desire to play the ships that they are giving these to us or I would already have them in my port.

In conclusion, I want the Strasbourg.  Anything else, meh.

C130 signing out

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,396 posts
26,838 battles

Yeah some of the requirements are crazy stupid. The good thing is that the rewards for getting stars are crap so it is best just to find two or three easy tasks and just repeat them. 

• Cool 1

Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
20 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah some of the requirements are crazy stupid. The good thing is that the rewards for getting stars are crap so it is best just to find two or three easy tasks and just repeat them. 

That's the thing, later on in 4-6 there really aren't any. In 4, the one to give you 3 stars is "earn 35,000 free XP." In 5 or 6, its "get 12" kills. And with the number of stars you need, you would have to do these over and over and over.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
14,727 posts
31,352 battles

I did it in a day and a half. Took 81 games. I picked the tasks that were quickest/easiest and did those (repeated as needed). I did have Hizen which helped in a couple of the stages. This is what I did for tasks...

log.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[WOOKY]
[WOOKY]
Members
684 posts
13,567 battles

IDK, I just played like normal and it happened.  

• Cool 2

[BB_B]
Members
119 posts
1,324 battles

I am on the final stage for Strasbourg and the 20,000 base xp grind before modifiers including premium time.  The hype to buy premium time and then it doesn't even count in a grind like this makes no sense to me. I will be very hesitant to participate in one like this in the future no matter what they are giving away. 

[VOP]
Members
1,085 posts
50 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I did it in a day and a half. Took 81 games. I picked the tasks that were quickest/easiest and did those (repeated as needed). I did have Hizen which helped in a couple of the stages. This is what I did for tasks...

log.jpg

And if you don't have the Hizen?

[KWF]
Members
6,713 posts
7,321 battles

Eh, it's tier Vs,  not that big a harm. 

My guess is the tasks were just an incentive to buy early Strasbourg and/or Hizen and be able to get them done early. 

At least the first mission allows you to unlock the final task without having Strasbourg.

[MIBRA]
Banned
1,424 posts
9,025 battles
1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

That's the thing, later on in 4-6 there really aren't any. In 4, the one to give you 3 stars is "earn 35,000 free XP." In 5 or 6, its "get 12" kills. And with the number of stars you need, you would have to do these over and over and over.

I made a quick guide on how you can complete some of those missions easily. That stage with 35k Free XP is indeed absurd, but you can complete that stage with missions 1 and 4 only in about one hour or less. Just go with Georgia or another secondary based ship of your choosing into coop and it should be done in 8 matches.

The last stage requires more time, as Base Xp, kills and credits don't have an easy way to farm other than just playing the game with a good premium ship for credits and go into randoms.

Edited by WarStore

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,626 posts
24,257 battles

I just have all missions from stage 1 completed before getting Strasbourg.

I got Strasbourg in 2 days, Monday and Tuesday, and just played a battle on Strasburg and finished the first stage.

Yesterday I got 2 other stages, and hope to finish by Saturday.

Funny but the most difficult mission so far has been the 3 caps. Most battles ended before I could finish the cap.

[USCG]
Members
820 posts
24,895 battles

I agree with the OP. I don’t remember these tasks for T6s with permanent camouflage being this grindy in the past. I’ve managed to pick up the Furytaco and T22 but am not going to lose any sleep if I don’t make it through. 

If you really wanted these T5s your best bet would’ve been to buy the Strasbourg and start the campaign weeks ago. I for one wasn’t about to buy the Strasbourg so long as I could get her for free. 

[BEA5T]
Members
5,502 posts
26,082 battles
32 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Do other tasks

I had the Hizen and really, did the entire campaign without using it as a primary tool...........?~~!

The real point is "increasing the volume of play"..........  It's called throughput.  Throughput = Revenue.  The more they make you play, the more money they make on sales of ships and support items.  Sooooooooooooo, we see everything being dumb'd down and completion criteria being pushed to extremes to "drag this out as long as they can......"   Expect even worst conditions to be created.  Wait till the Skill Tree Change in the near future.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts
1 hour ago, bfree_gmm1 said:

I am on the final stage for Strasbourg and the 20,000 base xp grind before modifiers including premium time.  The hype to buy premium time and then it doesn't even count in a grind like this makes no sense to me. I will be very hesitant to participate in one like this in the future no matter what they are giving away. 

I agree on the base xp. In fact, there would be nothing wrong with them selling premium for this purpose. I posted earlier in a thread I started that it would help them sell premium time. 

The only problem as I saw it would be them bumping the base xp because you purchased premium. You know they would. 

[D-DAY]
Members
7,163 posts
3 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I never remembered these campaigns being a chore or anything in the past new years campaigns, but this time it seems pretty damn crazy. Once you get to missions 4, 5, and 6, the number of stars you need to complete the mission are really high and the missions themselves which only award 2 or 3 stars each are a hell of a grind considering you're just working towards a low tier tech tree ship with a perma camo. Why turn what used to be a casual fun campaign into such a grindfest?

It was designed for you to make the decision if you really wanted the rewards (and therefore bought the Strasbourg/Hizen earlier).

It will take a bit of grind, but the choice is there (buy or not) - I don't aim this at you - but rather that is just the game WG have made. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

Members
283 posts
25,993 battles
2 hours ago, bfree_gmm1 said:

The Premium really only shines because it lets you do 3 tasks at once vs 2 with 'normal' time to move up the ladder.  Of course, it is also a great help when working on a mission that counts all XP (not just the Base XP).

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

And you can't advance this campaign without the final drop from the other campaign, leaving anyone who doesn't want to spend money on the S-borg with just a few days to do an entire campaign. 

Not worth worrying about. 

• Cool 1

[NOVUM]
Members
195 posts
7,060 battles
4 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I already said this elsewhere but, it does seem a rather odd decision on WG's part to have rewards that would be really good for newer players (T5 ships w/perma camos) and then make the campaign so that newer players wont be able to do it.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
14,727 posts
31,352 battles
2 hours ago, Airjellyfish said:

It just seems Hizen was a key to easy progress.

Eh not really. I used it just once (ie; did its task 1X) in most of the stages. One stage I did 2X the task but in one other I didnt use it at all. If I didnt use it I would have done some other task again or one I didnt do. It would add maybe 15 games +/- to my total?

[FOXY]
Members
3,353 posts
8,165 battles

After the first two tiers of that campaign, i stopped doing the Hizen missions. Far easier to repeat some of the other ones.

• Thanks 1

[NOVUM]
Members
195 posts
7,060 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I agree on the base xp. In fact, there would be nothing wrong with them selling premium for this purpose. I posted earlier in a thread I started that it would help them sell premium time. 

The only problem as I saw it would be them bumping the base xp because you purchased premium. You know they would. 

Unfortunately a lot of game companies do this. When they design a special even they'll set the rewards/work ratio based on the assumption that players have all the latest items, perks, levels, whatevers. 

Years ago I played a freemium game that had a monthly event and each month the grind for the top prizes became more difficult. Eventually it reach the point where it was literally impossible to get the top prizes from an event unless you had gotten the top prizes from the previous month's event.

• Haha 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts
7 minutes ago, BitCrushed said:

Unfortunately a lot of game companies do this. When they design a special even they'll set the rewards/work ratio based on the assumption that players have all the latest items, perks, levels, whatevers. 

Years ago I played a freemium game that had a monthly event and each month the grind for the top prizes became more difficult. Eventually it reach the point where it was literally impossible to get the top prizes from an event unless you had gotten the top prizes from the previous month's event.

Stacking it against the players eh? Hilarious, in a way. 

[CNO]
Members
6,796 posts
20,424 battles

It's called a "business model".

• Cool 1