You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mike540

do higher tier premium ships retrain commandeers quicker than lower tier ones?

15 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
7 posts
3,359 battles

...I couldn't find this answer...I'm wondering if say I have all the USA dd premium ships...would commander retraining be noticeably quicker in the tier X Somers vs the t2 Smith or t6 Monaghan? If higher tier is always quicker is it MUCH quicker or just a little bit?

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,585 posts
4,774 battles

Certianly!  Retraining (if you use Commander XP (CXP)) depends strongly on earning ship XP.  Higher tier ships earn more XP, so all else being equal, more CXP.  Around double from T1 to 10.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economics

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings

A helpful technique is to cycle the commander through as many premium ships as you can to soak up those first-win bonuses.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles
13 minutes ago, mike540 said:

do higher tier premium ships retrain commandeers quicker than lower tier ones?

By mike540,

...I couldn't find this answer...I'm wondering if say I have all the USA dd premium ships...would commander retraining be noticeably quicker in the tier X Somers vs the t2 Smith or t6 Monaghan? If higher tier is always quicker is it MUCH quicker or just a little bit?

The potential for more XP per battle exists in higher-tier battles.
But, the player must also perform decently.

I find that using the "special" signal flags that provide Commander XP bonuses helps a lot, especially when I play in random battles.
I've been known to do this with Tier-4 ships, too.
With a decent performance and enough of the Commander bonuses (camo, signal flags, daily bonus and etc.), one could earn 10k to 25k CXP in a single battle.

Spoiler

shot-20_11.01_16_02.09-0008.thumb.jpg.b478b37e0a22179f323d5757f1829499.jpg

[REVY]
Members
8,481 posts
6,118 battles
34 minutes ago, mike540 said:

It's hard to say because an untrained commander would get eaten alive in Tier X.  You get more xp but it's also far more unforgiving not having captain skills at tier X when in retraining mode.  You'll preform worse and thus may ended up less base xp overall.

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,799 battles
58 minutes ago, mike540 said:

Tier 6 and 7 ships (premiums preferably) train captains the fastest in Operations, unless of course it's Newport week. Best use of special and economic signals and camos too.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles

A T8 ship in a T10 battle would be the fastest retraining possibility.  Of course taking an ineffective captain in a T8 ship while in a T10 battle might reduce the time the ship is alive because it's out classed.

The easiest way to retrain a commander is to have 19pt captains on your best performing ships and use the captain XP earned to boost up the weak captain.

Beta Testers
168 posts
19,059 battles

Higher tier ships gain a higher base xp. so potentially yes. higher the tier premium the higher potential xp gained. Though its usually best to just use a ship that you enjoy playing near the high tiers then it is just to grab the highest tier ship. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,748 posts
6,865 battles
3 hours ago, CV_Jeebies said:

A T8 ship in a T10 battle would be the fastest retraining possibility.  Of course taking an ineffective captain in a T8 ship while in a T10 battle might reduce the time the ship is alive because it's out classed.

The easiest way to retrain a commander is to have 19pt captains on your best performing ships and use the captain XP earned to boost up the weak captain.

Why would the captain be ineffective?  You don't need to be trained to a premium ship to get full use of the captain's skills.

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles
3 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Why would the captain be ineffective?  You don't need to be trained to a premium ship to get full use of the captain's skills.

If the captain is in retraining it says when on prem ship that the captain skills are still half, in-game at least.  Never cared to see if it was true, but at the same time I never have a captain stuck in retraining cuz reasons 
image.png.6d1c63ae6902dc32945eabc73a87ebee.png

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
2 hours ago, CV_Jeebies said:

If the captain is in retraining it says when on prem ship that the captain skills are still half, in-game at least.

This is true when a Captain is in retraining on any ship. That has no effect on earning captain skill points. Skill point earnings are calculated from ship XP earned in a battle + any modifiers. On a premium ship captain skill points are accumulated faster and can then first be used to complete retraining for the captain's tech tree ship and then used to increase their captain skills.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,748 posts
6,865 battles
7 hours ago, CV_Jeebies said:

If the captain is in retraining it says when on prem ship that the captain skills are still half, in-game at least.  Never cared to see if it was true, but at the same time I never have a captain stuck in retraining cuz reasons 
image.png.6d1c63ae6902dc32945eabc73a87ebee.png

You are misreading that.  The skills are only halved/disabled when on the ship the captain has been reassigned to specialize in.  On premium ships the skills are always fully active.  That is the point of premium ships.

[DMGS]
Members
198 posts
7,404 battles

I’d put it this way: Generally yes, higher tier equals higher XP gain potential. But like some said, you wouldn’t wanna use a fresh commander on a tier IX ship unless you got a death wish.

Tier VI is ideal here, because you can run operations where skill points matter a lot less than in Randoms.

[ARGSY]
Members
773 posts
11,694 battles

I just put a 19 pt captain in a good earning ship with flags and camo that gives a bonus and farm the free captain ex. Then I can use it on any commander that I choose. Seems to make the best sense. 

[WOLFB]
Members
7 posts
3,359 battles

thanks for the quick replies, very helpful! I have one 19 point commander, will have to try using it to boost my other commanders now.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,093 posts
15,348 battles
3 hours ago, mike540 said:

thanks for the quick replies, very helpful! I have one 19 point commander, will have to try using it to boost my other commanders now.

And use him on the highest-tier premium ships for which he is suited.

But in about a week, he’ll be 1,200,000 commander XP shy of being able to earn ECXP for you. Use him alot over the next seven days.

Courtesy of WG’s captain skill re-bone. Have fun.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Thanks 1