Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
skhend25

Anybody know the process they use when designing new ships for the game?

7 comments in this topic

Members
94 posts
6,788 battles

I was kinda wondering what priorities are followed in the modelling design process to bring new ships in. 

example: hypothetical new BB

1. create a ship to balance meta, offset another ship or direction of gameplay.  2. mimicking historical capability and realistic upgrades.  3 response to player feedback/requests for a certain combo of ship abilities. 4 uniqueness of proposed ship  5 other.

other guardrails I'm missing?

I am pretty sure 2 and 4 would be at the bottom, I would guess that 1 would be pretty high up there. 

Inquiring minds and all that...

[NONE]
Members
4,071 posts
12,573 battles

Dev team goes to a bar, asks for seven rounds of vodka shooters, a pen, and a napkin.

Edited by Balon_Greyjoy

[RBMK]
Members
2,338 posts
36,724 battles
Just now, Balon_Greyjoy said:

Dev team goes to a bar, asks for seven rounds of vodka shooters, a pen, and a napkin.

Pretty sure Smolensk was the result of a dozen rounds.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,388 posts
12,784 battles
42 minutes ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

They bring along one (or more) of these

Image result for Box o gimmicks

• Cool 1

[46856]
Members
2,256 posts

Throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks.

cat-5-cable-avmeme.jpg

Edited by Chain_shot

[LOU1]
Members
4,271 posts
13,110 battles

WOWS has a historical department and employs two naval architects.  The team looks for interesting ships and tries to secure the rights to produce ships in the game.  Oddly, some ships are still classified by their governments.  For ships that were only a proposal or a prototype design, the naval architects WOWS employs use techniques current for the era of the ship to complete the design.  Changes are then applied during the design and play testing phase to balance the ship for the game.

The process has been discussed by WOWS staff several times, usually in a Developer Diaries video.  The Developer Diary series of videos begins before Alpha and covers every update and, among other things, the processes they have used to develop ships.  the playlist is on the World of Warships official youtube channel.  Here's an interesting one produced for the first anniversary:

You might find this interview interesting:L

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this