Sign in to follow this  
Herr_Reitz

Privacy - Heard of the Signal app?

6 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

Maybe the geekers out here can help me figure this one out. 

Many people have dropped WhatsApp due to changes in the sharing of data between WA and FB. The suggested move from WA was to Telegraph or Signal. Everywhere I looked said Signal was an independent, stand-alone app with open source code. 

Then I read "then Twitter’s Signal private messenger App became number one."

Is that a true statement - doe Twitter own Signal the app everyone recommended? 

I can't find that connection anywhere. 

[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,796 battles
12 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Maybe the geekers out here can help me figure this one out. 

Many people have dropped WhatsApp due to changes in the sharing of data between WA and FB. The suggested move from WA was to Telegraph or Signal. Everywhere I looked said Signal was an independent, stand-alone app with open source code. 

Then I read "then Twitter’s Signal private messenger App became number one."

Is that a true statement - doe Twitter own Signal the app everyone recommended? 

I can't find that connection anywhere. 

I never heard of it. It would be nice to have an app that allowed privacy. Privacy is a premium these days. I used to pick my nose at a traffic stop, but the traffic cams probably have folks there laughing so hard in their comfy control rooms and they probably uploaded the footage on YouTube.

Going to a public restroom is an adventure, you might have someone streaming from it. 

Going to a restaurant is okay if you can find a cozy place with enough lens flare to bother the best of surveillance. 

Most phone apps like Cortana, the one from apple that I forget her name(and now she is mad), the one from amazon(she mad too), and other voice activated apps seems intrusive at best. 

It would seem communications is at a crossroads, either it is secure or open as wide as the grand canyon. Either you encrypt it, or you are letting everyone know you said it. 

You can get privacy. I refer to CNet or other tech magazine sites on the best apps for this in terms of security and also consult your own security software service for prudence. There, you can find the ones that best suit you. Free apps are seldom what they seem. So look at the security aspect as your criteria.

It is your privacy, you must protect it.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

Well everything I've researches says Signal is independent. Not owned by Twitter, FB or the likes. Signal so far seems good, end2end and all that... I'll take a look at Telegraph. 

I run Proton mail too.. it's nice, no complaints so far. 

But it bugs me if that quote I put in there is wrong but everyone thinks it is correct. Signal will sort it out i guess. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

Geezoh... I looked at telegram, loaded it up. So far my research has led me to install Gab, Signal, Telegram (not Telegraph). I also looked at MeWe, but not sure I likey. 

I'd say all three (Gab/Signal/Telegram) look solid, if you're interested. 

12 hours ago, Darmokattenagra said:

I've used telegram for years. Used signal too. Telegram works great.

Thanks - your recommendation on Telegram convinced me to look at it. 

• Cool 1

Members
1 post

theessayservice

On 1/12/2021 at 5:09 PM, Lieutenantauthor said:

Telegram is working great... Using it for my book discussions with readers.

Hi,

Does Telegram have E2EE by default? I've been using it for a couple of years, but I never wondered about the privacy.

I know about Matrix and Ricochet (Ricochet is or Mac, Windows and Linux). But I've never heard of Signal.

Edited by papaleoss

Sign in to follow this