You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Spirit_of_76

Turn off team and all chat for dead players

21 comments in this topic

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles

If they’re in a div then talking to their mates would be okay.

The benefits in reducing the salt content of chat would be OP.

Edit: even just a menu option would be nice.

Edited by Spirit_of_76
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Why should I be punished for some salty players that can be muted?

nope-strong-bad.gif

• Cool 1

[FEM]
Members
2,108 posts
17,811 battles

If you're too worried about chat you can already remove it entirely. People are gonna be salty, dead or alive

• Cool 1

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles

12 minutes ago, Kebobs22 said:

If you're too worried about chat you can already remove it entirely. People are gonna be salty, dead or alive

I understand that living players can be salty, but dead players offer almost nothing but salt. Imagine all the chat bans that wouldn't have to be processed if the dead were muted. All the cat ban appeals that no longer need to be rejected.

The savings would be enormous.

• Meh 1

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
17 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Why should I be punished for some salty players that can be muted?

nope-strong-bad.gif

Why should I have to punish myself to avoid a bunch of harmful salt? My blood pressure is high enough.

• Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,422 battles

Not exactly certain where this is coming from.

The number of incidents of truely toxic chat I can recall, (outside my own recounting of WGs innumerable failings,) is fewer than my number of divisioned Random games. (0.004%)

I remember other players being helpful that anything else.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
1 hour ago, Spirit_of_76 said:

If they’re in a div then talking to their mates would be okay.

The benefits in reducing the salt content of chat would be OP.

Edit: even just a menu option would be nice.

You are also reducing the content from salt free people which is far more common.

• Cool 2

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
24 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You are also reducing the content from salt free people which is far more common.

In my experience salt free content from dead players is outweighed by vituperation and "advice" from dead players. I think an option to automatically turn off dead players would be nice so that people who want the advice of the guy who yoloed could still have it if they really wanted it for some reason.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-A-8-]
Members
631 posts
24,144 battles

I rarely see saltiness from the team, maybe once in every 20 battles. The majority of team chat will be around ships left, their positioning etc while open chat tends to be good natured banter between the player killed/getting the kill. Sure there can be some that go toxic but I find it very much the exception.

Maybe you think it's more toxic as the bad stuff sticks in the mind where as the good doesn't?

• Cool 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,870 posts
13,088 battles
2 hours ago, Spirit_of_76 said:

I understand that living players can be salty, but dead players offer almost nothing but salt. Imagine all the chat bans that wouldn't have to be processed if the dead were muted. All the cat ban appeals that no longer need to be rejected.

The savings would be enormous.

LOL.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

You already have tools to save yourself the salt from the few that abuse it, no need to punish those who use it responsibly.

• Cool 1

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

You already have tools to save yourself the salt from the few that abuse it, no need to punish those who use it responsibly.

I disagree.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,913 posts
31,718 battles

I can't remember a time when more than 1 dead player was griefing others.  Far more common are "living" players (both allies and enemies) throwing out salt.  For 1 dead player, I can disable their chat.  But by contrast, I have had games where dead players were giving useful advise.  So, on a whole I don't see the benefit of this.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,511 battles

Dead players give good advise and warnings...I shut down trolls with the simple but effective: " Says the dead guy."  Works pretty well (guy as in all you guys (gender neutral lol))

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles

all these people that want to sass the living after they've yolo'd 

Edited by Spirit_of_76

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
767 posts

ARRRRR  Me thinks the laws of the sea should be implemented!   DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!

• Cool 1

Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
19 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not exactly certain where this is coming from.

The number of incidents of truely toxic chat I can recall, (outside my own recounting of WGs innumerable failings,) is fewer than my number of divisioned Random games. (0.004%)

I remember other players being helpful that anything else.

It's possible your definition of toxic doesn't include all the things mine does. Salty dead people are definitely toxic and easily preventable with a menu option though.

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
526 battles
On 1/11/2021 at 1:49 PM, Spirit_of_76 said:

I disagree.

I have assessed this thread at this point, tentatively with this:

you are in a sailing game, sailors are KNOWN to be salty.
Either you are a prissy prima donna or you are not a real sailor and likely you are a narcissist or narcissist pwn or a priss whom has someone do things for them all the time.

Personally, when my digital ship is strucken, I almost always stay online and in the game, keeping an eye on my ship's digital team mates and offering intel advice that they can gleam.
Some do similar things, most do not, most just go on to the next game like they was flipping channels on the telly.

On 2 or more occasions, people that were playing on the same "digital team" have tried reaming me out for my intel updates and comments, which are almost never salty. Despite my Sailing Abilities and Usage of cusswords in real life.
Most people are too caught up in their own flavour of whatever has them rushing around to and fro, in real life and online, as if it were all fake, mostly because they are fake themselves and think of themselves as more than what they are.

REAL LIFE is REAL LIFE, however, as the Japanse Proverb goes,
"One can tell the nature of a person, by the company they keep".
As it relates to this digital statement, the way that people behave in games and online, shows a person's true nature. Which is a major reason for why society is failing, it is built up and built up as something modern, yet it is frail due to weak people exploiting EVERYthing and EVERYresource they can, with casual disregard for the causality and the effects upon others.
Example, in Canada, we have 60+ companies in Canada whose CEO's doled out bonuses to the shareholders, despite taking in Government Wage Assistance for companies that were struggling, in 2 or more of the cases, the amount of subsidy they got was only a fraction of what they paid out in dividends, partially to citizens of other countries, which is TAXATION without representation. So when a person acts like a priss in a game, and is fake and 2 faced, then in real life, it is likely worse and has REAL consequences.

GROW UP, BEHAVE as per the:
#10Commandments and #GoldenRule -> Digitally AND in REAL LIFE!

[TFPX]
Members
19 posts
1,995 battles

After being killed in a game, I have posted messages like:

"Sorry for letting you guys down, my ping rate was going crazy, and I didn't see that coming"

or a sarcastic

"Thanks for the friendly fire"