You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

I Did It!! I Qualified For Gold League But I Learned Some Valuable Lessons

7 comments in this topic

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts

If you read my last post you saw that I used Conqueror and Harugumo to hit Rank 1 in Silver. I went into the qualifying round for Gold using the same 2 ships but I learned a valuable lesson. What works for one league may not work for another. Gold is a whole different ballgame. During qualifying, your playing with people already in Gold league. These guys/gals are no joke and many of them are in the upper tier of players. Not all of them, I'm sure some are like me and just mediocre players but there were a lot of top quality Captains, a lot more than in Bronze or Silver. I found my Harugumo going up against a lot of Smolensk, Smaland's and Minotaurs. All of them can outgun or match me and so the Haru was not that OP anymore. In my Conqueror, I found in Gold that there were a lot more Yamato's and Bourgogne plus I'd say 80% of my games had a CV. Again, these CV's are top Captains and the Conqueror has decent AA but not the best and they knew it. 

Basically I had to switch tactics so I tried a few other ships. The Thunderer was good and with the faster firing guns and hard hits it could work for you but I found too many Smaland's and Smolensk that just tore me up. I tried Minotaur and again it's a great DD hunter and can thwart a cap but you have to be a great Mino Captain and I'm just mediocre. I had to find something a middle of the road guy/gal could be good in. With so many CV's in my games I decided to try the Halland again as I'm a decent DD player and the Halland has tools that anyone can use to be better than they really are. Once I switched to Halland I won 3 in a row and then I lost 1, won 1 and then I won 2 more to qualify for Gold. Overall it was MUCH EASIER in the Halland. With the CV's, I use this method: I turn off my AA and let their planes get close, like around 3-4 KM away. Then I hit my Defensive AA and my Priority Sector(my O key). The planes are caught completely off guard and it will shred them to pieces. Normally if I don't have AA turned off, the CV will start taking my AA fire at 6KM and he will just turn away and go out of range. By keeping AA off till his planes are 4 KM away, he doesn't have enough time to go out of range before I shoot down 90%-100% of his planes. By doing this, it helps my team as his planes are not targeting one of our BB's or Cruisers. Also, if I see one of our ships repeatedly being targeted by the CV and I'm nearby, I will drive up next to him and use my AA to give him protection. This really helps them to keep firing those big guns and not worrying about dodging AA. They can focus more on sinking those Cruisers and BB's.

Another thing the Halland has going for it is the quick reload torps and their 15 KM range!! Seriously with that much range you can just go maximum spread and shoot towards 2 enemy ships and usually get a hit or 2. It's almost idiot proof but just almost. I rarely even use my guns on the Halland, I just use it as a torp thrower and AA monster. However against some DD's the guns aren't bad, just know which ones you can handle and which ones are too OP to mess with. I only Cap if the coast is really clear. I usually head to the cap if I know it's gonna be contested and let any other DD get the easy cap. I skirt the edges or remain just out of radar range of enemy ships and I throw torps and spot for my team. Again, I don't care how much someone screams at me to cap, I will only head in if the coast is clear to me. They can get mad all they want. If I get radar lit up and die, that doesn't do our team any good at all. If you die in the first 2 minutes of the game, you rob your team of a hundred torps that could of been slung into the battlefield at your enemies. Do all this and you won't be near the bottom of any games. I find myself in position 3-4 out of 7 when the game is done, so again just middle of the road but not in last place :)

Anyway, what works for me might not work for you. I just put my tactics out there for any other mediocre players that might want some insight on how I'm progressing through the Ranks. I'll keep you updated on my progress through Gold League in a few days. I don't know if I'll hit rank 1 but I'll give it a good try. Good luck out there!!!! 

GOLD.jpg

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,422 battles

Congrats.

But yay...

...effectively forced to play a meta ship instead of the ship(s) you wanted to play.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,489 posts
25,894 battles

I'm with @Estimated_Prophet ^^^^........some of us don't have all of the meta ships.  And, Carriers make the entire process tedious and places too much information to the other team that really, isn't earned.........because, planes can spot without engaging.  Just like Radar..........it's only limit is Range and is 100% effective inside that range.....  What fun is that?

Congrats...! If this was a goal, you did well.  I can only speak for me but, there is no way I'd even try anymore.   Play a few Bronze games and call it a day.  No real value to suffer through endless RNG stomps for a 100 steel.......

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles

I'll continue to be happy sticking around in silver. You need to actually rank out in gold to get more steel than ranking out in silver - the max rewards for wins just breaks you even with ranking out in silver. Ranking out in gold every week would be too much aggravation, and honestly I doubt I could do it reliably.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,093 posts
15,348 battles
32 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I'll continue to be happy sticking around in silver. You need to actually rank out in gold to get more steel than ranking out in silver - 

Same in Silver. You can match the steel you get by ranking out in Bronze, by simply winning in Steel, but to exceed it, you've got to rank out in Silver.

That being said, I’m satisfied just to collect wins in silver. When you get the last set of victory rewards, you also get 100 doubloons. 

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles
5 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Same in Silver. You can match the steel you get by ranking out in Bronze, by simply winning in Steel, but to exceed it, you've got to rank out in Silver.

That being said, I’m satisfied just to collect wins in silver. When you get the last set of victory rewards, you also get 100 doubloons. 

Silver seems to be a pretty good match for me. It's a challenge to rank out, but not one I can't do reliably in a couple days. The difficulty and the number of wins needed for Gold just put it way out of reach for me on a regular weekly basis. I'll probably try once at the end of the test season, though.