You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Macragges_Honor

RN CV Help

15 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
3,738 battles

After having gotten my way up to T8 in the other CV lines, I decided it was time to go back and give the RN CV line another try. I've gotten to the Furious but this line just isn't clicking with me. I'm not really doing all that much damage, the planes are sluggish, and I'm struggling to have a meaningful impact on the match. Does anyone have any tips on how not to be potato with RN CVs?

• Cool 1

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,421 posts
28,417 battles

IJN are sort of alpha oriented, same with KMS. USN are a mix of DOT and alpha damage. RN is a DOT farmer.

Your best bet is to pick targets that you think you'll be able to serve on fire/flood more than once. 

So hit a battleship and attempt to get a flood or fire. If he puts it out, waste some time doing damage to someone else. Now simply go attack him again and restart a fire or flood.  By doing something for the 30 second run time of DCP, like attacking another target, you might fool the player into thinking you moved on to another target. However, your goal is to abuse the damage over time mechanic by piling on fires or floods when he can do nothing about it.

[A-D-F]
Members
554 posts
18,257 battles

Forget that you have Rocket planes... ( until you are out of other planes or a DD is "yolo" rushing your "flat-top" )
... and focus on Carpet Bombers and Torpedoes planes, in that order

Practice on mastering the skill of "dropping hot loads" with Carpet bombers on DDs, 
... and setting up cross drops on cruisers with torps.

Members
6 posts
3,738 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

Your best bet is to pick targets that you think you'll be able to serve on fire/flood more than once. 

So hit a battleship and attempt to get a flood or fire. If he puts it out, waste some time doing damage to someone else. Now simply go attack him again and restart a fire or flood.  By doing something for the 30 second run time of DCP, like attacking another target, you might fool the player into thinking you moved on to another target. However, your goal is to abuse the damage over time mechanic by piling on fires or floods when he can do nothing about it.

49 minutes ago, Sammy_Small said:

Forget that you have Rocket planes... ( until you are out of other planes or a DD is "yolo" rushing your "flat-top" )
... and focus on Carpet Bombers and Torpedoes planes, in that order

Practice on mastering the skill of "dropping hot loads" with Carpet bombers on DDs, 
... and setting up cross drops on cruisers with torps.

Fires/Floods. Gotcha. I'll slap some flags on the ship and pray Fire RNG is on my side. Thanks lads.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

Make sure you're always dropping a flight after launch so you don't run low on the better aircraft. She's no Kaga.

[WPORT]
Members
11,726 posts
16,062 battles
3 hours ago, Macragges_Honor said:

After having gotten my way up to T8 in the other CV lines, I decided it was time to go back and give the RN CV line another try. I've gotten to the Furious but this line just isn't clicking with me. I'm not really doing all that much damage, the planes are sluggish, and I'm struggling to have a meaningful impact on the match. Does anyone have any tips on how not to be potato with RN CVs?

The RN CV's have an emphasis on DD hunting.
The pattern bombs and the rockets are both useful.

The torpedoes travel at 35 knots, before upgrades or Captain's Skills.   So they're best used on ships that are unable to maneuver well enough to dodge.

Larger ships, especially well-armored ones, need some repeated hits to set fires & cause floods, for the "damage over time" that others have mentioned.

The slow speed of the planes allows them to turn a bit tighter, especially if you slow them down.
The trade-off is that the planes are the "slow BB" of the air.

Be sure to get Captain's Skills Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert to help your planes survive AA (at least, survive longer than otherwise).

• Thanks 1

[386LV]
Members
84 posts
12,641 battles
5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Only Ark Royal excels at DD hunting --- its bombers are the best DD hunting tool in Tier 6. Audacious was pretty good too until the rocket reticle change came. In Tier 8, rockets from Implacable are effective against DDs, but still not as good as those from Enterprise or Shokaku. Probably similar effectiveness as HVARs from Lexington, but Lex can also hunt DDs with bombs.

To make RN CV work, you need to have a general idea of which ships can be penetrated with which attack type. Then how much AA each ship has --- can I make two strikes on the target or should I do a pre-drop? This is very important because a large proportion of your damage will come from perma fires/floods, especially against targets that cannot be penetrated. Knowing how to play around enemy's DCP is a key to success.

Edited by _Thanagor_
  • Thanks 1

Members
6 posts
3,738 battles
On 1/10/2021 at 7:19 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Make sure you're always dropping a flight after launch so you don't run low on the better aircraft. She's no Kaga.

Yeah, I do that as a matter of course on all my CVs

On 1/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

The pattern bombs and the rockets are both useful.

Is there a way to make the bomb dispersion less painful? The bombs scatter really badly and I'm lucky if I get just one hit on anything, let alone a DD that's actively maneuvering

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,738 posts
13,410 battles
2 minutes ago, Macragges_Honor said:

Is there a way to make the bomb dispersion less painful? The bombs scatter really badly and I'm lucky if I get just one hit on anything, let alone a DD that's actively maneuvering

Not really, with carpet bombers, you get what you've got. So, timing your drop to the aiming ellipse is as small as it will go,  you might try and drop slightly crooked to the DD, so that the ragged line of bombs crosses the DD's path, and hopefully the DD as well. I've never found them to be particularly useful in the anti-DD role, except for when resetting caps by dropping into smoke.

I've found them more useful in setting fire to larger ships, and in popping over islands to hit ships that have run headlong into islands.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Not really, with carpet bombers, you get what you've got. So, timing your drop to the aiming ellipse is as small as it will go,  you might try and drop slightly crooked to the DD, so that the ragged line of bombs crosses the DD's path, and hopefully the DD as well. I've never found them to be particularly useful in the anti-DD role, except for when resetting caps by dropping into smoke.

I've found them more useful in setting fire to larger ships, and in popping over islands to hit ships that have run headlong into islands.

You know, you can sort of toss them from the side as well... if you're moving towards a target that's turning to avoid you, cut throttle, turn hard and toss them at the target like you were throwing grenades. :cap_like:

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,726 posts
16,062 battles
3 hours ago, Macragges_Honor said:

The pattern is an oval or ellipse shape.
The largest number of bombs will hit a ship if the pattern is centered and aligned with the bow/stern of the ship when the bombs impact.

If the ship is sailing east-west while the planes are flying north-south, then only a portion of the pattern has a chance of hitting a ship.
But if the ship is sailing north-south and the planes are flying north-south or south-north, then a properly aimed drop will have the best chance of hitting with the full pattern of bombs.

The number of bombs dropped increases as the Tier of the British CV increases, too.

Based upon the experiences you've hinted at, I figure you'll improve your success rate as you learn the dodging maneuvers of various players and how to anticipate where they will be by the time the bombs hit.

Keep playing and keep trying.  I like to believe you'll get the hang of it.

Members
6 posts
3,738 battles
16 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The pattern is an oval or ellipse shape.
The largest number of bombs will hit a ship if the pattern is centered and aligned with the bow/stern of the ship when the bombs impact.

If the ship is sailing east-west while the planes are flying north-south, then only a portion of the pattern has a chance of hitting a ship.
But if the ship is sailing north-south and the planes are flying north-south or south-north, then a properly aimed drop will have the best chance of hitting with the full pattern of bombs.

The number of bombs dropped increases as the Tier of the British CV increases, too.

Based upon the experiences you've hinted at, I figure you'll improve your success rate as you learn the dodging maneuvers of various players and how to anticipate where they will be by the time the bombs hit.

Keep playing and keep trying.  I like to believe you'll get the hang of it.

Alright. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the help.

[WPORT]
Members
11,726 posts
16,062 battles
7 hours ago, Macragges_Honor said:

Alright. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the help.

:cap_like:

[-BUI-]
Members
2,708 posts
7,103 battles

Unpopular opinion probably, but my advice would be...don't, the RN CV line is complete garbage after Furious (which is actually pretty good for its tier)

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
40 posts
4,548 battles
On 1/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, Macragges_Honor said:

I haven't played a whole lot of RN CVs compared to the US or IJN lines, but I'll offer what I can.

Like above commenters have said, RN line is about farming damage over time (DoT). RN CVs have the lowest alpha strike capability out of all the CV lines. That being said, there are specific instances where RN CVs can deal a large alpha strike, but due to interactions this is highly dependent on attacking the right ship with the right armament type. For example, Audacious HE bombers pen 41 mm of deck armor, which means it has virtually no alpha (no pen) on Yamato, but deals up to 20k on Thunderer. But for the most part you're reliant on fires to "catch up" to the alpha damage outputted by other carriers.

HE Bombers

Personally I've grown to like the HE bombers despite hating their long drop time when I started the line. That being said they are different from US dive bombers. Where US DBs like to drop and spin around to drop again, RN DBs prefer straight lines. That's not to say you can't spin around and drop again, but the large turning circle means you spend a lot of time in AA. To optimize your spin around time, you can cut the bomb drop animation short to start the 8 second prep time, but you're exposed to AA for this duration. Furthermore your large turn circle places you off the enemy ship's longitudinal axis. Simply put - you lose planes for a weaker second strike.

I prefer to make Indomitable-type strikes by predropping way in advance and only taking the bombers I need to make a single strike, nothing more. In Audacious this sometimes means going in with only three planes. Sometimes I only predrop once as I know three planes will be damaged or shot down on approach. Your greatest ally are islands - use (abuse) them to your advantage, if the enemy ship doesn't have direct line of sight to your planes, you can fly through his AA range without being fired on, and just as you crest the island, drop your payload.

As stated before, DoT is a method to catch up to the raw damage outputted by other CVs (German, for example), which means Demo Expert is a must. +5% bomb fire chance is a huge buff. You already drop a large number of bombs, why not improve your odds of each bomb lighting a fire. This is like taking DE on a gunboat destroyer or light cruiser, you already roll the dice often, why not buff the results of each die roll.

To summarize - pick a target. Judge enemy AA - is it strong? does he have nearby ships for overlapping AA? Fighters? Then decide to commit and take what planes you need to ensure the strike goes through, nothing more. Bomb once, return to carrier, and repeat until you get enough permafires to be happy.

Torpedo Bombers

My second weapon of choice, the RN torpedo bombers are rugged and reliable damage sources. They don't have to contend with deck penetration, so they are more useful on targets you need to kill but your bombs cannot deal direct damage to. IMO as a damage farmer, they are primarily used to overwhelm a target's Damage Control Party so you can get permaflood or a follow up strike with bombers to get permafires.

RN TBs are unique in that, similar to German AP rocket planes, you can initiate an attack at a 90 degree angle and turn in while narrowing the drop pattern. The turn circle is tight, which comes in handy at upper tiers where you can keep turning after dropping your first set to get an ideal line of attack to drop again. I encourage making two drops where possible, in most cases the second drop is more likely to land all three torps than the first.

Rockets

The third weapon of choice, rockets are effective against all targets but do not excel at attacking any single type. They are primarily used against DDs simply because the other weapon types are not as effective or reliable. They can also deal effective if unimpressive damage against cruisers or the battleship superstructures. They're also handy for lighting the occasional fire.

Carrier

The fourth and weakest armament type, the carrier itself can be used to ram enemy battleships in a pinch. This is mostly applicable to Audacious with legendary upgrade which allows it to handle like a heavy cruiser. Ramming is a last resort.

Positioning

RN CVs are about DoT, which means you need to be able to light fires and floods when a target's DCP is down. This means being able to make strikes as quickly as possible. RN planes are slow, so you need to make up the difference by positioning the carrier closer to enemy ships. Use islands for your protection - some maps offer excellent islands for your carrier to park behind. Ideally you want your carrier to be about 12 km from your target. Choose large, tall islands - some enterprising players may try to lob shells over the island and since RN CVs have mediocre deck armor, some of that damage will be pens and not bounces. I wish they had Midway deck armor but meh.

Skills

As Ahskance says, "more faster healthier stealthier". Air Supremacy, plane speed, Survivability Expert, Demo Expert should be your first 9 points, followed by Concealment Expert (so your carrier can get to an island) and aircraft armor. Follow it up with Last Stand (helps with predrops) and engine boost duration skill. I dislike Torpedo Acceleration as it increases the torpedo arming distance, but that's a personal choice.

Furious is enjoyable and a great CV to learn the nuances of RN CVs. Implacable is the weakest carrier in the line due to the types of enemies she faces. If you've mastered the RN CV line, Audacious is enjoyable and performs well against the Thunderer meta. Legendary upgrade is recommended.

Edited by Alcubierre_Star_Drive
  • Cool 1