You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

What does a WG supertester do?

43 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,111 posts
16,890 battles

As you can tell from the state of the game they are instrumental to ensuring fun and balanced gameplay, with sensible ship implementation across the board and a good time had by all.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Haha 6
  • Boring 2

[RBMK]
Members
2,339 posts
36,760 battles

From my vantage point, they test ships, etc. and provide feedback which is ultimately ignored for the most part.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,717 posts
19,665 battles

Super testers take out new ships into battle to see how they perform. They try it out in battle after battle in differing situations to see how the ships guns handle versus other classes, how strong or weak the armor is, speed, maneuverability, et al.

I saw a Marco Polo yesterday and after I got two citadels on his broadside in my Missouri I'm sure that will be reported back. The fact that his SAP kept doing at least 10k in return regardless of my angling will be reported as well. At least I hope so because it seems a tad overpowered at the moment.

Whether War Gaming listens to the testers is the key. 

50 Memes Designers And Developers Will Relate To

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
28,291 battles

Test everything new. Any new additions to the game whether it be game modes, missions, mechanics, ships, or even just camos. In doing testing of ships on live WG collects some initial data about ship's performance to begin their balancing. Super testers also provide written feedback on everything they test like whether they liked it or or not and their personal experiences. Its sort of like the random surveys you get as a player but more specific. They also report as many bugs as they can find in the newest patches.

I'm no longer a super tester, as I had to give it up when I started school, but it's an interesting experience. You should apply next time they're taking applications to see for yourself.

Members
0 posts

Here's what @Lertsaid on a similar thread from way back in 2016: 

A lot more. I'd say that driving new ships on live server is about 30% of what we do.

As for privileges, we are allowed two images in our sig. That's it.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,709 battles
1 minute ago, OuijaApologist said:

Here's what @Lertsaid on a similar thread from way back in 2016: 

A lot more. I'd say that driving new ships on live server is about 30% of what we do.

As for privileges, we are allowed two images in our sig. That's it.

So ask Lert what the other 70% is then. Did he not elaborate in 2016? Was that all he posted?

Members
0 posts
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

So ask Lert what the other 70% is then. Did he not elaborate in 2016? Was that all he posted?

That's why I tagged him in the comment.

Nope, just that and couldn't find anything else in forum history.

Edited by OuijaApologist

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
44 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Do they perform bug testing, check for fun and balanced gameplay, or something else?

Their job is to test new ships in battles with we regular players. They note and report as others stated the strength and weaknesses of the ship vs those already in the game. If the gun/torp accuracy or damage dealt is too much or too little vs current ships their reports are used to adjust that. In part the take into account their own skill levels as to whether that weapons accuracy is increased or diminished because of their skill or the programmers be too generous or too stingy. They do the same for speed. maneuvering and all of the other factors.

Supposedly then the devs and programmers adjust those factors, hopefully correctly. But sometimes they still get it wrong.

From what I understand it is quite a task that takes a great deal of effort and time.

[KWF]
Members
6,715 posts
7,321 battles

Take part in tests, both of new ships and modes, provide meaningful and articulated feedback, have some guy at Lesta take a peek at it and see it doesn't conform to WG's marketing goals, delete. :Smile_hiding:

Repeat ad infinitum.

Jokes aside, I have alot of respect for STs as it's a pretty thankless job for no real reward aside from testing new toys.

Edited by warheart1992

Members
0 posts
9 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Take part in tests, both of new ships and modes, provide meaningful and articulated feedback, have some guy at Lesta take a peek at it and see it doesn't conform to WG's marketing goals, delete. :Smile_hiding:

Repeat ad infinitum.

Jokes aside, I have alot of respect for STs as it's a pretty thankless job for no real reward aside from testing new toys.

Hmm, I don't see the point of the position if that's a majority of their responsibilities. CV rebork, Payto Rico dockyard, Smolensk, FDR ,MFR, Commander skill rebork, subs...I wouldn't want my name associated with having tested any of these things.

Edited by OuijaApologist
  • Boring 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles
1 hour ago, OuijaApologist said:

Do they perform bug testing, check for fun and balanced gameplay, or something else?

Check out this FAQ! It should answer most questions:Smile_great:

Members
0 posts
5 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Check out this FAQ! It should answer most questions:Smile_great:

Q: What is the "SuperTest"? A: SuperTest (hereinafter referred to as "ST") is a process of testing game versions (and their performance) that have not yet been released by a limited number of volunteers - super testers.
Conducting ST can help both in preparing the version/content for public release (elimination of bugs, checking the content and functionality), and in evaluating various ideas at the prototype stage (running in "raw" ideas and collecting data on them). In other words, ST is a "closed kitchen" in which a number of users help developers "cook" the game.

Edited by OuijaApologist

[KWF]
Members
6,715 posts
7,321 battles
10 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Hmm, I don't see the point of the position if that's a majority of their responsibilities. CV rebork, Payto Rico dockyard, Smolensk, FDR ,MFR, Commander skill rebork, subs...I wouldn't want my name associated with having tested any of these things.

If people see value in this, I don't see an issue personally. They review and provide feedback on content and after that it's up to the company to act on it or not. Besides because they are under NDA they can't really be public with their opinion in content before its release.

Members
0 posts
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If people see value in this, I don't see an issue personally. They review and provide feedback on content and after that it's up to the company to act on it or not. Besides because they are under NDA they can't really be public with their opinion in content before its release.

Well, yes, I am referring to myself as not seeing the point in doing it based on WG's record of listening to player feedback. And yes, the NDA is very "helpful" in case one of them wants to speak up and say, "I tried to warn them that x was a bad idea." Granted, CC's will sometimes tell us in a video that they tried to give WG feedback or an opinion and their ideas were promptly dismissed. I can only assume it's the same for the supertesters as well which is why I said I don't see the point in doing it. WG is gonna do what they want, regardless of feedback.

Edited by OuijaApologist

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles

Supertesters can be relied upon to help ensure that warships such as Smolensk are fun and engaging.

[FOXY]
Members
3,358 posts
8,167 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

As you can tell from the state of the game they are instrumental to ensuring fun and balanced gameplay, with sensible ship implementation across the board and a good time had by all.

Well i mean, they can give all the feedback they want, and wargaming can just.. *toss all the feedback into the trash*.

Edited by Princess_Daystar

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
319 posts
10,327 battles

They read this thread and the theories about what they do and they smile :P

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

The other 70% is showing up to the supertest server, tediously going over every detail of every new model to find visual or texture bugs, tediously sailing every inch of water on a new map, tediously testign every new sound, ever new control, every new setting, every new port, writing up reports, trying to break the game, showing up to organized supertest sessions with the other STs, etc etc etc. Much of it is very tedious and boring work. Testing ships on the public server is a small part and the most fun part of the job.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles
52 minutes ago, Lert said:

Much of it is very tedious and boring work.

That sounds awfully familiar.

Members
0 posts
1 hour ago, ToxicSymphony said:

They read this thread and the theories about what they do and they smile :P

Would you agree or disagree that the current state of the game is in keeping with a majority of the supertesters ideas and personal opinions?

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
319 posts
10,327 battles
3 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

Would you agree or disagree that the current state of the game is in keeping with a majority of the supertesters ideas and personal opinions?

Dunno, I'm not in ST :P

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,251 posts
22,540 battles
38 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

I haven't been in ST for about a year now so can't speak to the current opinion of STs but the current state of the game is different from the general opinion of STs about a year ago.