Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SteadyAsSheGoes

1st Confederate: interesting CHAT-DRAMA = + 1 KARMA and a few questions, please

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Banned
141 posts
753 battles

While grinding for the Alsace yester-night I stumble upon my 1st confederate. Interesting developments in the chat did occur, landing me a +1 karma!? 

Onto a different subject that I would like some advice on is this: I am now thinking of stopping on the Alsace for AA reasons? 

Also I have the Alsace researched but not nearly enough coin or xp to upgrade it properly too take it out into these wild waters. Following LWM's advice,  I did buy the Virginia, too help with coin collections.  However now I think I might go for Vermont or at least the Colorado. In other words the line has grown on me even though its painfully slow ect.  I think it might have been designed specifically for this meta? 

 

Edited by NoSpot_NoShot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[WOLFG]
Members
273 posts
4,592 battles
15 minutes ago, NoSpot_NoShot said:

While grinding for the Alsace yester-night I stumble upon my 1st confederate. Interesting developments in the chat did occur, landing me a +1 karma!? 

Onto a different subject that I would like some advice on is this: I am now thinking of stopping on the Alsace for AA reasons? 

Also I have the Alsace researched but not nearly enough coin or xp to upgrade it properly too take it out into these wild waters. Following LWM's advice,  I did buy the Virginia, too help with coin collections.  However now I think I might go for Vermont or at least the Colorado. In other words the line has grown on me even though its painfully slow ect.  I think it might have been designed specifically for this meta? 

 

If you are stopping at the Alsace strictly because of the AA, don't, very few if any ships have good enough AA even with a heavy investment to dissuade a carrier from attacking them and no ship can completely stop an attack.

Also, how many battles do you have under your belt? I can't tell since you have your stats hidden but from the sounds of it you don't have that many under your belt. If so, I would be hesitant to recommend that you go down to the line as it is not new player friendly. This is due to their absolutely painful top speed of only 21 knots which makes them impossible to reposition  or get out of a sticky situation. (I've lost count of how many times I've seen a Colorado get left behind and focused to death)This isn't helped by their questionable armor scheme which means they easily take damage from all sorts of different sources.  Whilst it is true that the new American BBs are a fairly recent addition to the game, I would hardly call them meta ships for the aforementioned reasons. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
141 posts
753 battles
8 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

If you are stopping at the Alsace strictly because of the AA, don't, very few if any ships have good enough AA even with a heavy investment to dissuade a carrier from attacking them and no ship can completely stop an attack.

Also, how many battles do you have under your belt? I can't tell since you have your stats hidden but from the sounds of it you don't have that many under your belt. If so, I would be hesitant to recommend that you go down to the line as it is not new player friendly. This is due to their absolutely painful top speed of only 21 knots which makes them impossible to reposition  or get out of a sticky situation. (I've lost count of how many times I've seen a Colorado get left behind and focused to death)This isn't helped by their questionable armor scheme which means they easily take damage from all sorts of different sources.  Whilst it is true that the new American BBs are a fairly recent addition to the game, I would hardly call them meta ships for the aforementioned reasons. 

 

I tried to click the stats eye button but its greyed out with no way to toggle it.  Yea the Alsace thing it was just an instinctive thought. I might be over thinking things. Too bad about the Colorado situation I thought it would be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,703
[ARGSY]
Members
25,680 posts
19,754 battles
1 hour ago, NoSpot_NoShot said:

In other words the line has grown on me even though its painfully slow ect.

If you enjoy playing it, play it. Ignore the doubters. It costs nothing to play a tech-tree line. 

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
599
[VORTX]
Members
715 posts
9,106 battles

Alsace is a fun ship. If you’re a coop main, secondary build is a hoot. If you’re more randoms, then I’d recommend a straight survival build. The repub at tier X can be very powerful, but it’s not an easy ship to play by any means. You have to show a bit of butt if you’re going to get both turrets firing and if you get too close too early, you will die a fast focused death thanks to your he friendly armor. When the captain [edited] happens I might move my captain back down to Alsace for the long haul. AA is basically a moot point on any high tier ship. Shooting down a few planes doesn’t really get you anywhere. CV will CV no matter what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129
[NWO-1]
Members
275 posts
5,894 battles
1 hour ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Also, how many battles do you have under your belt? I can't tell since you have your stats hidden but from the sounds of it you don't have that many under your belt.

The poster showed an understanding of game mechanics and strategy that is not characteristic of a new player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,025
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,717 posts
19,688 battles

I think the French Battleship line is my second favorite behind the German Line; I even have the Bourgogne which is the T10 version of the Alsace. The Republique is a good ship but has been power crept in recent years and doesn't hold up as well as it used to. It still has good guns, AA and secondaries. But it's armor is not forgiving and she has to stay at range in the early going or she gets focused down and killed quite easily, especially by HE spam.

My personal belief is that the introduction of ships like the Thunderer killed the viability of the Republique. She simply can't stay alive long enough, or help the team enough, to be relevant.  That's just my opinion having played all of the French ships. The Alsace is still one of my favorite tech tree battleships however and T9 is in a pretty good spot now. 

In regards to the new American battleship line I have the Kansas but haven't progressed further as it's just not for me. I have played against all of them and due to their lack of speed and large super structure they are always the HE spammers first choices. So, if you go down that line definitely spec into fire reduction and survivability. 

Play the ships you like, not what other captains tell you to like. It's a game so have fun. 

Fair seas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[WOLFG]
Members
273 posts
4,592 battles
58 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

The poster showed an understanding of game mechanics and strategy that is not characteristic of a new player.

I'm not saying that the Op is a new player, however, he also doesn't sound like the experience player either. For instance, it is pretty much common knowledge that AA is a joke in its current state but based on his post, the Op does not seem like he is aware of this fact.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129
[NWO-1]
Members
275 posts
5,894 battles
49 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I'm not saying that the Op is a new player, however, he also doesn't sound like the experience player either. For instance, it is pretty much common knowledge that AA is a joke in its current state but based on his post, the Op does not seem like he is aware of this fact.  

I am quite confused about the "common knowledge" about CVs and AA. In my experience CV squadrons almost always shot down after one or two attacks, and CVs are rarely more then a nuisance. But I do stick to co-op and I have not played a CV past T6 (cause they suck).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[WOLFG]
Members
273 posts
4,592 battles
31 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

I am quite confused about the "common knowledge" about CVs and AA. In my experience CV squadrons almost always shot down after one or two attacks, and CVs are rarely more then a nuisance. But I do stick to co-op and I have not played a CV past T6 (cause they suck).

Is your experience playing against CVs mosty in Coop?

The short answer is that AA damage can divided into two categories, the continuous damage and the flak. The main issue is that flak, while it can do a lot of damage is fairly easy to dodge and no ships currently in the game have enough continuous damage to take down a squadron before they make their attack run. Sure, the squadron may lose all their aircraft but the CV will come back with more aircraft. They may not come back with full squadrons but they will get an attack or two in regardless. And that where in the issue lies, the CV will most of the time be able to strike you and they can come back and strike you again if they so choose. There is very little you can do to effectively counter this other than not being the juiciest target. This is largely a non issue in coop since the bots don't make any attempts to dodge the flak and their aim with the aircraft is quite poor so you don't really take  lot if any damage from them.

Edited by cheekywarship2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[CUDA]
Members
640 posts
9,526 battles

Republique is a good sniper, I'm not that great a shot but I always seem to hit with her even at long range. I haven't had any luck with her brawling and tend to get her into bad positions and focus fired to death, though the speed boost is useful in that regard. Alsace is a much more satisfying ship because of the 2 up 1 back turret arrangement with 4 gun turrets. You get a full battleship forwards. Of course, you need it because the range on Alsace sucks. Same turrets as Richelieu but not the same range, weird. Lyon is my favorite battleship of all. You just can't beat 16 guns. Now if WG would only make Agincourt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129
[NWO-1]
Members
275 posts
5,894 battles
53 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Is your experience playing against CVs mosty in Coop?

The short answer is that AA damage can divided into two categories, the continuous damage and the flak. The main issue is that flak, while it can do a lot of damage is fairly easy to dodge and no ships currently in the game have enough continuous damage to take down a squadron before they make their attack run. Sure, the squadron may lose all their aircraft but the CV will come back with more aircraft. They may not come back with full squadrons but they will get an attack or two in regardless. And that where in the issue lies, the CV will most of the time be able to strike you and they can come back and strike you again if they so choose. There is very little you can do to effectively counter this other than not being the juiciest target. This is largely a non issue in coop since the bots don't make any attempts to dodge the flak and their aim with the aircraft is quite poor so you don't really take  lot if any damage from them.

How do you dodge flack? That would help me a bunch in my games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[WOLFG]
Members
273 posts
4,592 battles
11 minutes ago, MollyGodiva said:

How do you dodge flack? That would help me a bunch in my games.

 I can't really give you a good answer since I'm not a CV player in an sense of the word so you would be better off looking for some guides and or game play on youtube (just be careful of the date of upload since AA has gone through a few iterations, anything released after 0.8.6, roughly mid July of 2019 should be relevant since AA hasn't changed since then). The only thing that I can say is that when you do enter a ship's AA is to not fly your aircraft in a straight line.

Here is a video from ichasegaming that might help and give you a few other tips.

How to Get Good at World of Warships Episode 7: CV ...

Edited by cheekywarship2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,503
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,628 posts
4,774 battles
6 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I can't tell since you have your stats hidden

Look at his profile.  His stats aren't hidden, but for some reason his forum battle count display is disabled.  Can anyone tell him how to enable them?

3 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I'm not saying that the Op is a new player,

He is new.  He must be playing 24hrs a day to get to Alsace and, apparently, Minnesota.

 

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,831
[NG-NL]
Members
6,611 posts
10,993 battles

All that Minnesora/Kansas/Vermont have--from fighting them in my CVs is their AA is almost on par with EU DD AA, which is known to be pretty good. Citadeling them has proven fairly tricky, but as already noted, large superstructure and slow speed, so they're favorite targets of HE spammers. About all that BB line can boast is the solid MB accuracy, but given it's 40-sec base reload, it's not a popular line.

The only thing OP did badly in his above video is not ramming the KGV to get a draw :Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
141 posts
753 battles
32 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Look at his profile.  His stats aren't hidden, but for some reason his forum battle count display is disabled.  Can anyone tell him how to enable them?

He is new.  He must be playing 24hrs a day to get to Alsace and, apparently, Minnesota.

 

I have been on a mission lately as things at work have slowed. Current mission is just the Alsace.  I couldn't stand a grind for both the Alsace and the Minnesota.  I have looked everywhere to turn the forum stats on but cant find it. Also one of the emoji's pics is broken. Maybe its something on my end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,030
[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,710 battles
5 hours ago, MollyGodiva said:

The poster showed an understanding of game mechanics and strategy that is not characteristic of a new player.

He came here from Legends, so he has a solid grasp of the basics. 

His questions have been about the intricacies of levelling and meta as they differ here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
602
[CDOH]
Members
981 posts
8,620 battles

Problem with the slow american bbs at high tiers is you will struggle with the increased map size and overwhelming he.  Virgina is a fantastic boat at T6 because the map size is small and she over matches everyone at T6.   This is not the case for Kansas or Minneapolis or even Vermont.  I would highly suggest you go Soviet bbs as they are much more forgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,025
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,717 posts
19,688 battles
2 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Problem with the slow american bbs at high tiers is you will struggle with the increased map size and overwhelming he.  Virgina is a fantastic boat at T6 because the map size is small and she over matches everyone at T6.   This is not the case for Kansas or Minneapolis or even Vermont.  I would highly suggest you go Soviet bbs as they are much more forgiving.

I'm assuming you're talking about the premium T6 West Virginia 1941 correct? I agree that when top tier she's quite formidable; I got her for free out of a crate last year I think. The problem is that, for me at least, she was rarely top tier. T6 is not in a good place and sees a lot of T8 battles which means the extremely slow West Virginia sees a lot of T8 carrier battles, sometimes two per team. While she has the base Colorado guns, she does not have her AA, and the West Virginia definitely needs them because her AA is awful. Add to that no ability to relocate in the larger maps plus large flammable super structure and for me the West Virginia was not a fun time in randoms. In T6 ranked, we had one not long ago, she was quite dominant smacking around her counterparts. 

I would recommend the German Battleships personally but I enjoy their play style more than the Russian one. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,030
[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,710 battles
17 hours ago, NoSpot_NoShot said:

What are the best containers to buy. I recently got the resolute and rapid. Is that the best?

Check the collections, and see which ones have rewards you want.

There is best for you, but not best.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×