Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OldBreezy

Meandering Bots

13 comments in this topic

[NEST]
Members
14 posts
3,699 battles

Anyone else notice that bots seem to consistently meander in front of friendly torps even when it is tactically stupid to do so?  WoW really needs to fix this and up their game in this department.  I'm ok with more aggressive bots, but having the consistently rush in, block shots or worse, turn in a nonsensical direction to catch a friendly torp is stupid.

• Haha 2
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles
10 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

WG is working on AI that accurately imitates human players.

+1

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
18 posts
3,168 battles

Planes and smoke- They need at least a 1 minute lock out from using it.  Its annoying to see them launch and puff when there is no reason for it that early in the game. 

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
2 hours ago, OldBreezy said:

I'm ok with more aggressive bots, but having the consistently rush in, block shots or worse, turn in a nonsensical direction to catch a friendly torp is stupid.

In these 5 years it has been this plea or the reverse. We players need to make up our minds and be happy with the bot programming we are provided. 

First it was the bots are to stupid and easy to beat. Please make them smarter and more aggressive. WG granted that and after a few weeks guess what?

The whining started that the bots were kicking butt to easy. Not particularly winning so much more but taking out more human players or just dealing more damage. So WG tuned them down a bit and still the whining then was that 8 vs 8 co op and the scoring system was too easy to win before human players could score sufficient damage XP.

Now we have 9 vs 9 to give a bit more time and chance for human players to score damage XP before getting a quick win on points. I have also noticed that occasionally WG is mixing in a few ringer red bots that act more like good human players in maneuvering and gunnery/torp accuracy. You won't know if they are present or which one(s) they might be until you explode and find that the unnoticed BB 15 km away dev struck you.

So be careful about what you wish for.

• Boring 1

[NEST]
Members
14 posts
3,699 battles
16 minutes ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

In these 5 years it has been this plea or the reverse. We players need to make up our minds and be happy with the bot programming we are provided. 

First it was the bots are to stupid and easy to beat. Please make them smarter and more aggressive. WG granted that and after a few weeks guess what?

The whining started that the bots were kicking butt to easy. Not particularly winning so much more but taking out more human players or just dealing more damage. So WG tuned them down a bit and still the whining then was that 8 vs 8 co op and the scoring system was too easy to win before human players could score sufficient damage XP.

Now we have 9 vs 9 to give a bit more time and chance for human players to score damage XP before getting a quick win on points. I have also noticed that occasionally WG is mixing in a few ringer red bots that act more like good human players in maneuvering and gunnery/torp accuracy. You won't know if they are present or which one(s) they might be until you explode and find that the unnoticed BB 15 km away dev struck you.

So be careful about what you wish for.

My post wasn't about aggressive bots or improving their fighting, it's actually about improving things on the friendly side.  They meander in front of torps or in front of friendly players, thereby catching an accidental hit and blocking our shots.  This happens at the start of EVERY SINGLE GAME.  That's not smart game play and has nothing to do with how hard they are to beat.  This needs to be fixed.  They should defer (yield) to human players by default and perhaps hits on friendly bots shouldn't result in a player penalty.  After all, the true penalty is when you cause damage, they are killed and your side has less players on the field of battle.  Maybe count damage higher for friendly fire on bots but there should not be an individual penalty.  I've also been penalized when THEY run into ME!  That's just a terrible rule.

• Haha 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,796 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

WG is working on AI that accurately imitates human players.

Yes, that is true. I saw potatoes and some really salty bots. One really tore into me because I didn't spot and it stat shamed me in chat. One even acted like a camper, a bot Stalingrad, a few BBs ran away like squealing pigs chased by a butcher after I devstruck their lead cruiser in a cap push.

The level of sophistication is on a whole new level. I even saw a bot DD give me the finger in chat after I hit it with rockets. 

And those GKs just hit full speed, plow into your torpedo spread when they were on your right and you were on their left, but you went left to lay them down. But he goes left, and eats all 15. 

Bots are sick. Ever since New Years, they seem to be irresponsible players.

• Haha 2

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
590 posts
1 hour ago, Painbringer71 said:

Planes and smoke- They need at least a 1 minute lock out from using it.  Its annoying to see them launch and puff when there is no reason for it that early in the game. 

There are players that use Hydro right after the match starts.

Cirran

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
17 minutes ago, OldBreezy said:

I've also been penalized when THEY run into ME! 

Well no you haven't unless the collision does a heck of a lot of damage. Also weapons damage to an ally, bot or human has been reduced although there is a limit that once exceeded you get pinked.

Oh I see that I missed commenting on your point about bot teammates. Don't hold your breath for improvement there other than something similar to what I said about red bot ringers. By the way the red bot team sometimes has a few as you call them meanders. They torp one another, shoot one another and collide with one another.

The only thing you can hope for is that some of the green bots might be programmed as the red bot ringers though a bit less capable in maneuvering and weapons accuracy.

In a sense the overall bot ineptness prepares one for the very poor human players encountered in the random team modes. You know, the ones that prompt regular GIVE US SKILL BASED Match Making forum post. I doubt that will ever happen.

The best you can do when on a team with few humans is stay away from your bot allies and hope for the best.

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
2 minutes ago, Cirran said:

There are players that use Hydro right after the match starts.

You missed using colorful adjectives between are and players. Go to chat and ask them what the range is or tell them that wasting the consumable early is always the best thing to do. Then report them for unsporting conduct just for the heck of it.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,018 posts
46,796 battles
9 minutes ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

You missed using colorful adjectives between are and players. Go to chat and ask them what the range is or tell them that wasting the consumable early is always the best thing to do. Then report them for unsporting conduct just for the heck of it.

In a bot match, I sometimes joke that when a player uses hydro early, that they are looking for submarines or the legendary razor that Mr Conway used to shave his legs for that charity drive a while back. 

Because the legend goes like this...

Mr Conway: "Find a body of water and throw the razor in. Sure it is clogged like I murdered a family of Wookies, but it will sink. Some day...a charity will come, and the razor will rise again. Whoever has the razor, will be the new Smoothy King!"

And so...a WG employee, who shall remain nameless, sails out in a dingy just outside of St Petersburg. He throws the razor with all his might up into the sky towards the water. Out of the water emerges a crab claw the size of loaf of bread and it catches the razor. 

Then, it throws it back to the nameless WG employee. The employee returns to Conway and tells him what happened. Conway, on his nice recliner, feeling fatigued from a long day says: "What happened, what did she say?" 

Nameless: "Copyright Infringement! DMA Strike!"

Conway: "But I used a Y? Go back, try again."

Nameless goes back, explains by shouting across the water, then throws the razor again. This time it is caught and taken to the depths below followed by the final music ending sequence that cannot be mentioned.

Nameless goes back only to find Conway heading home in his electric car with his two Chia pottery nuns on the dashboard with outstretched arms. The green hair is...:cap_wander:

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
8,999 posts
25,340 battles
2 hours ago, Painbringer71 said:

Planes they launch immediately but they don't use their smoke until they are 1st spotted.

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
53 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Planes they launch immediately

Those are likely spotters and in some cases an early launch range increase could make for an early snipe. I believe the bot ship borne fighters don't launch until enemy planes approach.

Sign in to follow this