Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Finally Ranked Out In Silver After Switching to Conqueror and Harugumo--They Are Beast Mode

7 comments in this topic

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts

NOTE: I'm not a great player or what you call a Unicum Captain. I'm an average player just like you. 

In my last post I highlighted how much of a beast the Conqueror is in Ranked. I did get stuck at rank 2 and kept getting knocked back to 3 and back to 2 for a long time today. Then I decided if I wanted to win, I had to eliminate the threat of the enemy DD's. I don't have a Daring yet, so I grabbed my Harugumo and went into the next game with the sole intention of hunting DD's. I went straight for what I knew was gonna be the contested cap and I did not enter it. I skirted the outside or went to a nearby rock and waited. Soon as the enemy DD got too close, I hit speed boost and went full on KILL MODE! I ignored the cruiser firing at me, I didn't care if it was a Halland, a Gearing, A Jutland or whatever. My only goal was to take it out and give them one less advantage. I did this until I ranked out. I found from rank 3 to 1, it was the way to go. Before that, I used the Conqueror when I kept getting knocked back to rank 5. Once I switched to Conq, it got me to 2 easily but as I said, I couldn't use it to get past that for some reason and was bouncing from 3-2 and back again.

The Haru has amazing fast firing guns and plenty of them. It has a great health pool so it can take a bit of damage. Yes, it lacks stealth but if you charge into a cap that's being taken, they usually only get one shot off before you get into range to detect them. Many times they get so flustered they miss or don't even get a shot before I begin blazing away. Soon as I kill him, I hit smoke and turn and run to lick my wounds. I'll stay dark for a bit and look around for another lone BB or a half health DD. I'll set out for them and bring fire from the heavens. The Haru is not a capper but if you eliminate the threat of the other DD, then the cap is easy. It's not really a torp boat either but it does machine gunning very well. It's torps are actually good but slow to recharge. The reload booster helps but honestly I just use them to thwart a cap and I try to keep a booster ready for when I'm sitting in smoke. Sometimes a ship will try to charge you and they will find out that's a huge mistake. If a BB doesn't move or turn away, you can burn them to the ground. I find a lot of Hallands and Gearings in the ranked games and I didn't have any trouble with either one. A Daring might give you a run for your money but you know I'm just not seeing a lot of them. One here and there but the majority are Hallands, Gearings and Shimas in that order. If your smart, you can burn any of them up very fast as you charge them. I do the engine trick where I go full speed and then when they start firing at me I reduce my speed to reverse, then to full, then back to reverse and then back to full. A lot of players will shoot ahead of you, then behind and then figure out what your doing and try to anticipate but maybe I'll hesitate on the third rotation and stay in reverse a bit longer or full a bit longer to throw them off. Many times as I go to reverse I also dodged torps they threw at me so it works really well. Shima torps are a bit scary so you have to dodge them as they hit very hard and Gearing torps will hurt you too but Halland is a joke. You can eat a full on Halland torp and laugh it off and keep firing. Don't eat 2 though! 

Well, I don't know if I'll make it to Rank 1 of Gold but we will see. I don't have time tonight to do the qualifying games but tomorrow is a new day and I'll continue to use these 2 ships and see what happens. I'll let ya know! Good luck out there. 

Harugumo.jpg

Harugumo1.jpg

Edited by Lord_Argus

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,082 posts

I had a Smaland backing me up in my gearing+ when three enemy DD's showed up to contest one of our caps.

All three died leading to victory. This was with teamwork.

Take out the DD's first and then the radar ships and you will have the win. Nothing else will. With that said, I have tried to rank out in Silver and frankly it's not worth the hassle. Dozens of battles back and forth. Its [edited]. What I do instead is just harvest the Steel that is the main goal this year.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,494 posts
22,222 battles
6 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

NOTE: I'm not a great player or what you call a Unicum Captain. I'm an average player just like you. 

In my last post I highlighted how much of a beast the Conqueror is in Ranked. I did get stuck at rank 2 and kept getting knocked back to 3 and back to 2 for a long time today. Then I decided if I wanted to win, I had to eliminate the threat of the enemy DD's. I don't have a Daring yet, so I grabbed my Harugumo and went into the next game with the sole intention of hunting DD's. I went straight for what I knew was gonna be the contested cap and I did not enter it. I skirted the outside or went to a nearby rock and waited. Soon as the enemy DD got too close, I hit speed boost and went full on KILL MODE! I ignored the cruiser firing at me, I didn't care if it was a Halland, a Gearing, A Jutland or whatever. My only goal was to take it out and give them one less advantage. I did this until I ranked out. I found from rank 3 to 1, it was the way to go. Before that, I used the Conqueror when I kept getting knocked back to rank 5. Once I switched to Conq, it got me to 2 easily but as I said, I couldn't use it to get past that for some reason and was bouncing from 3-2 and back again.

The Haru has amazing fast firing guns and plenty of them. It has a great health pool so it can take a bit of damage. Yes, it lacks stealth but if you charge into a cap that's being taken, they usually only get one shot off before you get into range to detect them. Many times they get so flustered they miss or don't even get a shot before I begin blazing away. Soon as I kill him, I hit smoke and turn and run to lick my wounds. I'll stay dark for a bit and look around for another lone BB or a half health DD. I'll set out for them and bring fire from the heavens. The Haru is not a capper but if you eliminate the threat of the other DD, then the cap is easy. It's not really a torp boat either but it does machine gunning very well. It's torps are actually good but slow to recharge. The reload booster helps but honestly I just use them to thwart a cap and I try to keep a booster ready for when I'm sitting in smoke. Sometimes a ship will try to charge you and they will find out that's a huge mistake. If a BB doesn't move or turn away, you can burn them to the ground. I find a lot of Hallands and Gearings in the ranked games and I didn't have any trouble with either one. A Daring might give you a run for your money but you know I'm just not seeing a lot of them. One here and there but the majority are Hallands, Gearings and Shimas in that order. If your smart, you can burn any of them up very fast as you charge them. I do the engine trick where I go full speed and then when they start firing at me I reduce my speed to reverse, then to full, then back to reverse and then back to full. A lot of players will shoot ahead of you, then behind and then figure out what your doing and try to anticipate but maybe I'll hesitate on the third rotation and stay in reverse a bit longer or full a bit longer to throw them off. Many times as I go to reverse I also dodged torps they threw at me so it works really well. Shima torps are a bit scary so you have to dodge them as they hit very hard and Gearing torps will hurt you too but Halland is a joke. You can eat a full on Halland torp and laugh it off and keep firing. Don't eat 2 though! 

Well, I don't know if I'll make it to Rank 1 of Gold but we will see. I don't have time tonight to do the qualifying games but tomorrow is a new day and I'll continue to use these 2 ships and see what happens. I'll let ya know! Good luck out there. 

Harugumo.jpg

Harugumo1.jpg

Where are the hard stops in silver? Rank 3?

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,337 posts
14,247 battles
35 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I think rank 5 was the last irrevocable one in silver. 

congrats op! Ranked out in silver myself playing mostly smaland last night with the same thought, find dds and make them run from objectives or let them smoke up and then radar them with max dakka.

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles

Gratz! Good luck in your qualification round

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Yes Rank 5 is that last hard stop or irrevocable. After that, you need 9 stars total to reach Rank 1 and there is no safe spot. Then you need 5 stars to qualify for Gold. Once you reach Gold, you need 19 stars to reach Rank 1 and there are no safe spots. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this