Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EXIT_TO_PORT

Is this a bug?

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

35
[WKY12]
Members
59 posts
6,802 battles

My last match: T10, 2 dds, a cruiser, a bb, and TWO carriers per team. 4v4 plus two carriers per team. Is that on purpose or a matchmaker bug? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
958 posts
220 battles

it's on purpose.   Sometimes MM does a tidy up and makes a short list of whatever is left in que.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,662
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,268 posts
22,545 battles

It's called an MM dump, when people have been waiting in queueueue for too long MM relaxes its internal rules to make a match and clears queueueue by dumping everyone who's within MM reach of each other into a dump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,069
[NYAAR]
Members
3,003 posts
15,969 battles

So you got a 2 CV battle because you got a queue dump in the NA server's off hours (early morning).

 

And you are surprised by this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles

I guess the strategy in a MM fiasco like this would be to hang out very close to your CVs until one side or both exhausts all their planes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

So you got a 2 CV battle because you got a queue dump in the NA server's off hours (early morning).

So the solution is to convince even less players to play at those hours due to likely MM dumps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[GOCRY]
Members
1,036 posts
3 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

So you got a 2 CV battle because you got a queue dump in the NA server's off hours (early morning).

 

And you are surprised by this?

I am.  Queue dumps aren’t uncommon in the early morning, but I hadn’t realized that you could get a 2 CV match from it.  I didn’t know that was one of the rules MM could throw out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,481
[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,533 battles
7 hours ago, EXIT_TO_PORT said:

My last match: T10, 2 dds, a cruiser, a bb, and TWO carriers per team. 4v4 plus two carriers per team. Is that on purpose or a matchmaker bug? 

If you play when the server population is low, MM has to make due with what is in queue. So sometimes this does happen.

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[GOCRY]
Members
1,036 posts
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I guess the strategy in a MM fiasco like this would be to hang out very close to your CVs until one side or both exhausts all their planes. 

Which will occur about 20 minutes into the battle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,170
[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
20,558 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I guess the strategy in a MM fiasco like this would be to hang out very close to your CVs until one side or both exhausts all their planes. 

Ya made me chuckle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,069
[NYAAR]
Members
3,003 posts
15,969 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

So the solution is to convince even less players to play at those hours due to likely MM dumps?

 

4 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

I am.  Queue dumps aren’t uncommon in the early morning, but I hadn’t realized that you could get a 2 CV match from it.  I didn’t know that was one of the rules MM could throw out.

the Queue dump is nothing new.

When in Randoms, as Happa said:

3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

If you play when the server population is low, MM has to make due with what is in queue. So sometimes this does happen.

-Hapa

MM is going to pull from the available players in queue at that moment. This means that yes, getting a 4 CV battle is possible. That it was 6v6 with 2 CVs, yeah it stinks and more then likely no one is truly going to have 'fun', but the queue dump has been around for sometime as has the time limit for sitting in queue for Randoms. The question really comes down to how long those 4 CVs were sitting in the queue before the dump fired. Was there even enough people in the queue to make a more balanced game with only 1 CV per side?

The alternative is of course tossing in Bots to round the teams up to 12v12, but then people complain about that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
629 posts
12,602 battles
11 hours ago, EXIT_TO_PORT said:

My last match: T10, 2 dds, a cruiser, a bb, and TWO carriers per team. 4v4 plus two carriers per team. Is that on purpose or a matchmaker bug? 

I believe it's called a queue dump. If players (in this case CVs) have to wait too long the MM rules are bent and whatever is there is farted into a match to end the queue of the longest queued players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

The alternative is of course tossing in Bots to round the teams up to 12v12, but then people complain about that too.

With dual CVs, it would have been a much better option to dilute the CV effect by filling out the rosters with bots. Even better, fill it with only bots as the CVs would have lots of fun and no humans would be harmed in the process. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,336 posts
On 1/8/2021 at 4:40 PM, Sabot_100 said:

With dual CVs, it would have been a much better option to dilute the CV effect by filling out the rosters with bots. Even better, fill it with only bots as the CVs would have lots of fun and no humans would be harmed in the process. 

I agree with you, but, people flip the hell out about it.  They have fits about it in T5 and below anyway.  If bots filled in at T10, they'd have kittens, even at 3 AM.

 

Edited by Kesh_Lives

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,576
[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
9 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I agree with you, but, people flip the hell out about it.  They have fits about it in T5 and below anyway.  If bots filled in at T10, they'd have kittens, even at 3 AM.

For myself I would have wanted a full roster even if it is a lot of bots. Even without any CVs. More damage to farm. In the OP's case, MM should be tweaked however to only use fill-in ships that have decent AA for the tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×