Sign in to follow this  
Canadian_Reaper

Halland AA?

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Do you specifically have to build Halland for AA in order for it to be an AA beast? Or am I misremembering and it's AA is only "good"

I FreeXp'd a number of ships in the EU line, and it was (oddly) one of those lines where I just never seemed to get CV's in games. (The Friesland I kinda expected as it gets a lot of T9) So I don't have a lot of XP vs them in the line. 

But I thought Halland was pretty decent AA, even without any points or equipment invested in it.

Just had a game with an Indomitable though, he didn't focus me, but over the game launched 3 attacks at me , first one popped Def AA at 4km, he lost one plane on the way in, dropped torps, missed lost one of the way out.

Second time he lost one on the way in, two on the way out.

Last time (I got dev struck by a Slava) but he lost 4 planes- I was engaged with a Gearing at the time, so not sure how many killed when.

But all together, a T8 CV, flying through my sector with Def AA going on, only lost 9 planes. (again overt three attacks)

DId I just have terribly bad RNG, or is the Hallands AA something I have to build for to make good?

*** Totally not going for a "CV's OP" thing here, that ship has sailed as far as I'm concerned, I just really thought the AA was supposed to be amazing out of the box, but this was vs a T8 CV, so I'd do pretty much nothing to a T10.

Really just curious if I'm wrong (which seems to happen occasionally ) or if it was just really bad RNG.

Thanks!

[DJL]
Members
242 posts
7,322 battles
1 hour ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Do you specifically have to build Halland for AA in order for it to be an AA beast? Or am I misremembering and it's AA is only "good"

I FreeXp'd a number of ships in the EU line, and it was (oddly) one of those lines where I just never seemed to get CV's in games. (The Friesland I kinda expected as it gets a lot of T9) So I don't have a lot of XP vs them in the line. 

But I thought Halland was pretty decent AA, even without any points or equipment invested in it.

Just had a game with an Indomitable though, he didn't focus me, but over the game launched 3 attacks at me , first one popped Def AA at 4km, he lost one plane on the way in, dropped torps, missed lost one of the way out.

Last time (I got dev struck by a Slava) but he lost 4 planes- I was engaged with a Gearing at the time, so not sure how many killed when.

But all together, a T8 CV, flying through my sector with Def AA going on, only lost 9 planes. (again overt three attacks)

DId I just have terribly bad RNG, or is the Hallands AA something I have to build for to make good?

*** Totally not going for a "CV's OP" thing here, that ship has sailed as far as I'm concerned, I just really thought the AA was supposed to be amazing out of the box, but this was vs a T8 CV, so I'd do pretty much nothing to a T10.

Really just curious if I'm wrong (which seems to happen occasionally ) or if it was just really bad RNG.

Thanks!

Indomitable is the only cv in the game that can do sling shot moves meaning he predrops at 7 to 8km out rushing ahead and gets AA immunity or ignoring AA til the screen back on his aircraft and he drops ASAP maybe losing 1 aircraft in the process. When Indomitable loses aircraft it hurts badly cause they only have bombers and rockets most damage from it is fires like most British cv's its a damage over time from fire playstyle. 

Only real counter to this cv is the one playing the cv cause I myself find it crazy how is can ignore almost all aa in the game.

Members
957 posts
220 battles

All you need to know about AA, CV and DD.  Halland starts at 1:20

Edited by Laser_Beam

Members
399 posts
7,345 battles
3 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Thanks!

Not worth building for AA brother..

Edited by 9TenSix2Eight

[A-D-F]
Members
554 posts
18,257 battles

Halland has "good AA" because...

If you keep your AA off, like all DDs supposed to.
The CV has spot the ship 1st  from ~ 2km away...
drop a fighter
do a U-turn
pull at least ~3.5 km of range ( for rockets )
line up an attack run... ( unless the CV "driver" is psychic / lucky or both with lining up blind runs with HE rockets / "Carpet Bombers" / HE DBs )

all that time the planes are being shredded  by Halland's AA... with 100% accuracy... It has about the same effective AA DPS as a "Mino" / "Wooster", but CV has to spend more time in your AA "bubble".

Members
957 posts
220 battles
2 hours ago, Sammy_Small said:

Halland has "good AA" because...

all that time the planes are being shredded  by Halland's AA... with 100% accuracy... It has about the same effective AA DPS as a "Mino" / "Wooster", but CV has to spend more time in your AA "bubble".

Unfortunately, reality and expectations aren't always the same

[A-D-F]
Members
554 posts
18,257 battles
19 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

Unfortunately, reality and expectations aren't always the same

"Good AA" is a relative term. In comparison to other DDs it has "good AA" , but in a grand scheme of AA and CVs its the "tallest midget".

Basically what it does is present CV with an "opportunity cost" of going after you and loosing planes OR finding an easier isolated target with less AA to go after.

[TWFT]
Members
80 posts
6,082 battles
On 1/7/2021 at 8:45 PM, Laser_Beam said:

All you need to know about AA, CV and DD.  Halland starts at 1:20

I've seen that video, it is hardly a fair showing of Halland's AA ability when it got focused by a FDR

[TWFT]
Members
80 posts
6,082 battles
On 1/7/2021 at 7:20 PM, Canadian_Reaper said:

Thanks!

So here is my response to your OP.

1. Free XPing to the Halland denied you the fun of the Oland and the Ostergotland, as well as the ability to learn and refine your AA skill with those ships as everything in the EU DD line below the Oland, plays extremely different than T8-10.

2. I have not spent any points into AA captain skills for my Halland and I regularly get 20-30 plane kills against T8 CV and against T10 CVs I usually average between 15-25 plane kills. All of this depends though on how committed the enemy cv is to killing me or nearby allies. The best for AA I have ever done in my Halland is 42 planes. Now I have seen a youtube video from Toptier where he went full AA build in Captain skills and in modules and shot down over 200 planes against 2 tier 10 CVs in a training room, but even he says that a full AA build at least on NA server is not as practical as it would be on SEA server.

3. I think in this game you are talking about you just had bad RNG....try sacrificing more virgins to the RNG gods next time.

Here are my best aircraft kill totals, keep in mind none of these are AA build:

Oland - 24 in a game

Ostergotland - 45 in a game

Halland - 42 in a game

Edited by Jystri
adding more information

[TWFT]
Members
80 posts
6,082 battles

I think this is a better example of the Halland's AA although it is on the extreme end

Edited by Jystri
Adding video

Members
957 posts
220 battles
6 hours ago, Jystri said:

I've seen that video, it is hardly a fair showing of Halland's AA ability when it got focused by a FDR

I've played WOWS.  Nothing about CVs is fair.

[TWFT]
Members
80 posts
6,082 battles
15 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

I've played WOWS.  Nothing about CVs is fair.

I wish people would stop crying about CVs. They're part of the game and will stay a part of the game for the foreseeable future. So if you hate em that much I suggest you deal with it or uninstall.

• Thanks 1

Members
957 posts
220 battles
8 hours ago, Jystri said:

I wish people would stop crying about CVs. They're part of the game and will stay a part of the game for the foreseeable future. So if you hate em that much I suggest you deal with it or uninstall.

I'm so tired reading posts about people complaining about what they read on the forum.  I wish they would take their own advice and either shut up or go away.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this