You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Drifter_X

I can haz all teh battle-cruisers?

30 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
663 posts
12,544 battles

So I have alaska, stalin, azuma, and agir; are there any more battle-cruisers left that I missed?

[HSD]
Members
795 posts
12,757 battles

Kronstadt, Puerto Rico, Yoshino and Siegfried. Technically/maybe Graf Spee

Though I don't think Kron and Puerto Rico are obtainable at present.

[O-B-G]
Members
85 posts
10,813 battles

Kron you can get in a super container I believe. PR was a dockyard ship this is Unobtainable if you did not get it last year.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,748 posts
32,188 battles

The PEF and Hood are also Battlecruisers.  And the Kongo class were originally BCs.  Later on, they were re-classified as Fast Battleships.

[-CFI-]
Members
369 posts
4,160 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The PEF and Hood are also Battlecruisers.  And the Kongo class were originally BCs.  Later on, they were re-classified as Fast Battleships.

Hood is not a battlecruiser. Her original design was, but after Jutland it was modified and she was finished as a battleship and was classified as such. The extra armor to bring her up to battleship standards is why she rode so low in the water.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,118 posts

Pocket battleships actually.

Fast enough to get away from anything big enough to kill you and strong enough to overpower anything smaller.

[FOXY]
Members
3,394 posts
8,171 battles
3 hours ago, Grapefruitcannon said:

Small fast battleships..

I love how everyone nitpicks this when they are described SO many different ways by official sources that they could be called Battle Cruisers, Fast Battleships, Pocket Battleships and all would be correct cause theyve been called all those things by their builderss, foes, historians and navys at the time.

But, if the "Battlecruiser" was a class in game, im fairly sure the Scharnhorst would have been classified as one, along with the Graf Spee. Not to sure on the Gneis, she fits rather solidly in the German BB line at Tier 7 as is bit shes always been the odd one out to me. Shes the only German tech tree BB to have torpedoes too which is a shame.

5 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

Hood is not a battlecruiser. Her original design was, but after Jutland it was modified and she was finished as a battleship and was classified as such. The extra armor to bring her up to battleship standards is why she rode so low in the water.

Hood was an Admiral Class Battlecruiser.

The Royal Navy Classified her as a Battlecruiser as well and she served in that function due to her lack of armor compared to the modern battleships, she was however one of the few big gun ships that could catch up to the Bismarck and we see how that ended.

Edited by Princess_Daystar

[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
769 posts
27,803 battles
3 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

I love how everyone nitpicks this when they are described SO many different ways by official sources that they could be called Battle Cruisers, Fast Battleships, Pocket Battleships and all would be correct cause theyve been called all those things by their builderss, foes, historians and navys at the time.

But, if the "Battlecruiser" was a class in game, im fairly sure the Scharnhorst would have been classified as one, along with the Graf Spee. Not to sure on the Gneis, she fits rather solidly in the German BB line at Tier 7 as is bit shes always been the odd one out to me. Shes the only German tech tree BB to have torpedoes too which is a shame.

The Royal Navy Classified her as a Battlecruiser as well and she served in that function due to her lack of armor compared to the modern battleships, she was however one of the few big gun ships that could catch up to the Bismarck and we see how that ended.

Well treaty battleships honestly. what else can you call them.  they are not battlecruisers and that's a fact. As such they are listed as battleships in almost all sources. 11in guns are small but still battleship grade weaponry. Armor...they are in the top 5 of the most heavily armored ships in history. Speed 30knts...It just erks my soul when people label them as battlecruisers because of the weapons.. 

[EQRN]
Members
2,303 posts
21,513 battles
11 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

So I have alaska, stalin, azuma, and agir; are there any more battle-cruisers left that I missed?

Why care if you missed any?  They’re getting whacked by the commander rework.  Avoid super cruisers at all costs.  “The commander rework will give players more build options”. Go fsck yourself WG if you don’t see the pure idiocy of your claim.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF7]
Members
1,064 posts
10 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

4 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Although the Royal Navy always designated Hood as a battlecruiser, some modern writers such as Anthony Preston have classified her as a fast battleship, since Hood appeared to have improvements over the fast Queen Elizabeth-class battleships. On paper, Hood retained the same armament and level of protection, while being significantly faster.[37][38]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood#Battlecruiser_or_fast_battleship

Edited by HamAndCheez

[WOLFC]
Members
3,407 posts
12,113 battles
10 hours ago, Crucis said:

The OP is referring to the “soft” class of “battlecruisers”/“super cruisers”/large cruisers that exists in game as a subclass of cruisers with certain characteristics otherwise typical of battleships (large caliber guns, extended fire duration, etc). While the ships you list were historically classified as CCs, in-game they are classified as and behave as battleships.

The first two posts in this thread include all the CBs that are currently in the game. 

Edited by Nevermore135

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
20,562 battles
50 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

I definitely feel like Odin qualifies as a battlecruiser rather than a battleship.

As far as WoWs is concerned, she takes up a BB slot in battles.  But to your point, I play her as you might expect a BC to be played.

Members
305 posts
1,531 battles
59 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

I definitely feel like Odin qualifies as a battlecruiser rather than a battleship.

I definitely feel like Colorado qualifies as a glacier with guns rather than a battleship.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,407 posts
12,113 battles
1 hour ago, Grapefruitcannon said:

Well treaty battleships honestly. what else can you call them.  they are not battlecruisers and that's a fact. As such they are listed as battleships in almost all sources. 11in guns are small but still battleship grade weaponry. Armor...they are in the top 5 of the most heavily armored ships in history. Speed 30knts...It just erks my soul when people label them as battlecruisers because of the weapons.. 

What many forget is that one of the primary reasons contemporary British sources classified these ships as battlecruisers is because of how they compare to the previous generation of German capital ships. For the most part, the Imperial German navy followed a different design philosophy than the Royal Navy when designing their CCs. British designs tended to stress firepower and speed at the cost of armor protection inferior to contemporary dreadnoughts, being designed around main batteries comparable to their BB peers. German engineers took a different, more balanced approach, with their designs being much better armored than their British rivals. To reduce tonnage and maintain the high speed required, German CCs were typically designed with lighter main batteries than the contemporary German dreadnoughts (either in caliber, number of barrels, or both).

Thus, it is perfectly reasonable that the British Admiralty, only two decades after the conclusion of WWI, would see these ships, with their high speed, heavy armor, and light main batteries as the spiritual successors of the battlecruisers of the High Seas Fleet.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
305 posts
1,531 battles
10 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

I find that Hood does better when I play her like a battlecruiser. Pop a speed flag on her and she's hilarious.

[WOLF7]
Members
1,064 posts
11 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

I definitely feel like Colorado qualifies as a glacier with guns rather than a battleship.

Great bote for co-op, though. I love Colorado. She has very nice lines and is a pretty ship, as well. Here's a Colorado battle from yesterday:

image.png.c11223a90a9067860cd9a75ca7eb2e85.png

Edited by HamAndCheez

Members
305 posts
1,531 battles
1 minute ago, HamAndCheez said:

Great bote for co-op, though. I love Colorado. She has very nice lines and is a pretty ship, as well. Here a Colorado battle from yesterday:

image.png.c11223a90a9067860cd9a75ca7eb2e85.png

Very nicely done!

I'm not saying she's not a nice looking ship (she's arguably the nicest looking of the old American dreadnoughts), she just gives you a loooooooong time to appreciate it.

[SIM]
Members
5,916 posts
9,441 battles

It sounds like OP is specifically interested in what the WoWs community refers to as “super cruisers.” As was mentioned, you’d also need Kronstadt, Puerto Rico, Yoshino, and Siegfried to complete the collection. 

[WOLF7]
Members
1,064 posts
20 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

Very nicely done!

I'm not saying she's not a nice looking ship (she's arguably the nicest looking of the old American dreadnoughts), she just gives you a loooooooong time to appreciate it.

Graphic

[SALVO]
Members
26,748 posts
32,188 battles
6 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Just an FYI.  "Pocket battleship" isn't a naval term.  It's a propaganda term used by the British press before WW2.  And The Graf Spee wouldn't be a battle cruiser.  She'd be classified as what the German navy classified her, a heavy cruiser, albeit an over-gunned heavy cruiser.

• Boring 1

Members
406 posts
26 battles

Ah, the wonderful ambiguity in the use of the term "battlecruiser".
Personally I'm inclined to say it counts as a battlecruiser only if the navy described it as such with the intention of being used primarily as a cruiser killer/commerce raider rather than a line of battle battleship.
IIRC whilst Alaska was pretty much a revisiting of the older battlecruiser role, it was described as a Large Cruiser as that party of the US Navy thought it would be easier to secure funding for it.

However given the cruisers and battleships in game that have a "battle cruiser" playstyle.

The Large Cruiser/super-cruiser:

US: Alaska (T9 FreeXP/doubloons/real money), Alaska B (Black Friday). Puerto Rico (T10 Not available)

Japan: Azuma (t9 Free XP/Doubloons/Real Money). Yoshino (t10 coal)

USSR: Kronshtadt (t9 Not available), Stalingrad (t10 Steel), maaaybeee also Moskva (T10, coal) but it's more regular cruiser guns on a large cruiser hull
Germany: Graf Spee (t6 Doubloons/real money), HSF Admiral Graft Spee (not available),  Ägir (t9 Free XP/Doubloons/Real Money) , Siegfried (t9 Research Bureau), 

All (except Moskva) have the honour of longer fire chance. 

Spoiler

Tier VI Admiral Graf Spee and HSF Admiral Graf Spee have a base fire duration of 45 seconds; Tier IX Ägir, Alaska, Alaska B, Azuma, Kronshtadt and Siegfried, and Tier X Puerto Rico, Stalingrad and Yoshino have a base fire duration of 60 seconds.

Also all of them have worse dispersion formula than the standard cruiser, except Moskva and Siegfried. Moskva is understandable but it's hilarious that Siegfried with the biggest guns on a cruiser.

Kronshtadt, Puerto Rico and HSF Admiral Graft Spee aren't available.

From the Battleship side it's rather harder to draw the line.
My dubious list is:

Name Tier Class Nation Speed Knots Range (km) Hitpoints Armament
Ishizuchi 4 Battleship Japan 27.5 15.3 45700 5x2 305 mm/45 Mk10
Myōgi 4 Battleship Japan 28 16.6 45700 3x2 356 mm/45 Type41
Kongō 5 Battleship Japan 30 21.2 54100 4x2 356 mm/45 Type41
Amagi 8 Battleship Japan 30 19.9 66300 5x2 410 mm/45 Type3
Prinz Eitel Friedrich 6 Battleship Germany 28 17.8 52300 4x2 350 mm/45 SK C/14
Gneisenau 7 Battleship Germany 32 19.5 58200 3x2 380 mm/52 SK C/34
Scharnhorst 7 Battleship Germany 30 19.9 56300 3x3 283 mm/54.5 SK C/34
Odin 8 Battleship Germany 30 19.1 52800 3x3 305 mm/56 SK C/39
Dunkerque 6 Battleship France 29.5 18.2 52600 2x4 330 mm/52
Normandie 6 Battleship France 29.5 19.8 48300 3x4 340 mm/45 Mle 1912
Hood 7 Battleship UK 32 18.6 67700 4x2 381 mm/42 Mk II
Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

Members
1,709 posts
2,065 battles
17 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

• HMS Hood
  • IJN Ishizuchi, Yoshino, & Kongo(A hull)
  • MN Dunkerque/Strasbourg
  • SMS Prinz Eitel Friedrich
  • technically USS Puerto Rico but it's a sister ship to Alaska
  • the Sovetsky Soyuz classes all of its battlecruisers as CA's so I don't know there.