Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Minnesota Yah Sure You Betcha It's Good (PVE Thread)

22 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles

Lots of people really dawg Minnesota on the forums and while that is fine (I dislike a lot of ships too) I think the criticisms sometimes go a bit too far. I have seen people rip it for everything from the deserved things like it's slow speed and long reload (use MBM3 instead of APRM2 and it makes a HUGE difference) to the guns being weak and inaccurate (WRONG!) and that it's armor is trash (also wrong). Basically for some there is nothing redeeming about the ship and I just can't get behind that.

I struggled a bit with it at 1st as well. Took a bit of getting used to but now that I have over 100 games with it (139 as of this posting) and have learned how to maximize what is good and minimize what is bad I really enjoy the ship. Slow does not = bad! I am up to 93K for average damage with it which is pretty good. The replay below is my new personal best high damage game to date (in it - not overall).

I decided to do this replay to show that despite it's flaws the ship is not crap and it can shine. The guns are really good and it can take a beating and keep on fighting. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but hopefully this will help people see it isn't horrible and can be a good ship.

:Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 2

[KWF]
Members
6,719 posts
7,321 battles

Nice battle! I think most hate on Minnesota however due to some disadvantages that are  more apparent in Randoms but not in Co-op.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
16 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Nice battle! I think most hate on Minnesota however due to some disadvantages that are  more apparent in Randoms but not in Co-op.

Yeah no, those bad values are still garbage in PVE.

Matter of fact, I'll even go onto saying that the very slow points on Minnesota are an even worse detriment in Co-op because Co-op games are so short compared to Random Battles that can regularly go 15 minutes or the full 20.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Matter of fact, I'll even go onto saying that the very slow points on Minnesota are an even worse detriment in Co-op because Co-op games are so short compared to Random Battles that can regularly go 15 minutes or the full 20.

What about Vermont? Have only played it on the PTS, but it seems to do well enough there.

[PVE]
Members
11,202 posts
19,830 battles

Minnesota, is a great place, to be from. I don't have the ship yet, but slow loading BBs aren't my cup.

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
36 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

And yet I have a 93K average damage with it which is significantly better than a good majority of the other T9 BB's (I have them all). I even do better in it than Jean Bart which has a much faster reload and is much faster.

You don't like it which is fine but I like it and even in Co-op it is fine.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,337 posts
14,268 battles

I don’t Minnesota but I do have Kansas and it will be a while before I grind further, not because I think it’s bad but slow ship and slow guns just isn’t fun for me

[ARGSY]
Members
25,680 posts
19,754 battles

The thing I cannot absolutely comprehend is that you took the ship out and did this with it and it wasn't a 1000 BXP game. Methinks it was possibly because you were top tier?

Nevertheless, that was awesome.

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The thing I cannot absolutely comprehend is that you took the ship out and did this with it and it wasn't a 1000 BXP game. Methinks it was possibly because you were top tier?

No caps, no CV so only 1 plane kill (got a spotter), and a lot of damage to lower tier ships.  Everything that works against a 1000 BXP game for Co-op.

Thank you. 

[PVE]
Members
2,191 posts
7,680 battles

Those guns got good damage even on angled targets and seemed to have no problem punching to the machinery spaces.

The armor looks pretty solid when angled, especially on the kite.

Nice video.  Decent production values.  Liked, Subbed.  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
1,059 posts
19 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Lots of people really dawg Minnesota on the forums and while that is fine (I dislike a lot of ships too) I think the criticisms sometimes go a bit too far. I have seen people rip it for everything from the deserved things like it's slow speed and long reload (use MBM3 instead of APRM2 and it makes a HUGE difference) to the guns being weak and inaccurate (WRONG!) and that it's armor is trash (also wrong). Basically for some there is nothing redeeming about the ship and I just can't get behind that.

I struggled a bit with it at 1st as well. Took a bit of getting used to but now that I have over 100 games with it (139 as of this posting) and have learned how to maximize what is good and minimize what is bad I really enjoy the ship. Slow does not = bad! I am up to 93K for average damage with it which is pretty good. The replay below is my new personal best high damage game to date (in it - not overall).

I decided to do this replay to show that despite it's flaws the ship is not crap and it can shine. The guns are really good and it can take a beating and keep on fighting. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but hopefully this will help people see it isn't horrible and can be a good ship.

:Smile_honoring:

Nice video, Admiral. Are you starting up a WoWs Youtube channel now? Maybe you could be a CC. A PVE-main CC would be a great addition to the community!

• Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
3,375 posts
8,171 battles
19 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

What about Vermont? Have only played it on the PTS, but it seems to do well enough there.

Vermont is *garbage*

/s

Im glad i got through the Minnesota. the Vermont is a gem. its slow, big, unwieldy, but its guns are amazing. Go middle on any map(That doesnt have a ton of large islands) and enjoy getting damage.

552990_20210108105721_1.png

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
1 hour ago, HamAndCheez said:

Nice video, Admiral. Are you starting up a WoWs Youtube channel now? Maybe you could be a CC. A PVE-main CC would be a great addition to the community!

Oh lord no. Me a CC?? LOL. WG actually doesn't want that and CC's, testers, etc... are supposed to do that stuff in PVP.

No, I just have a channel to put the occasional replay on and for when I do forum contests. Need a place to host the videos. 

Got nominated with some other Co-op mains to be a Privateer when WG posted looking for them on the forums but as a Co-op main not wanted (wouldn't have anyway so nah nah WG :Smile_veryhappy:).

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,938 posts
31,887 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've had a 1000 BXP game with Minnesota.  All of the stars need to align in order to get there:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
On 1/7/2021 at 12:39 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Vermont inherits the same slow issues of Kansas and MinneSLOWta.

Slow speed.

Slow reload.

That is undeniable.

But I have also said that the fact she owns a 457mm x12 main battery is nothing to laugh off.  Those guns in particular are very powerful when dealing with Cruisers, especially the ones that had 30mm armor sections on the hull.  You can angle and bounce AP shells 429mm or smaller.  You can't do that against 430mm+ AP because of Overmatch.  An AP shell that is large enough to Overmatch the armor section it strikes no longer has to check for bounces.  It's a Penetration, at the very least.  This mechanic is the sole reason Yamato-class has remained relevant in this game, even in PVP, because of Overmatch against 32mm armor.

Light Cruisers?  Vermont eats them alive.

Vermont has very glaring issues, but the one thing WG gave her, a large broadside with some of the largest guns in the game, is no joke.  She may not shoot as often, but when she does, 457mm x12 speaks volumes.  A good example I remember was a Flamu video talking about Vermont.  Lots of problems, lots of issues.  You can tell he wants to write Vermont off, yet those guns do very bad things to people to the point it stops him from casting Vermont to the side.

This is the thing Minnesota and Kansas don't have.  They don't have that big "ace" of something special to hang their hat on, to offset the glaring issues.  Vermont has 457mm x12.

When I use Hindenburg in Co-op and do my rushes against Bot BBs, 429mm or smaller armed BBs I have no issues with.  I can angle and tank, just don't take the AP shells on the bow and don't show too much sides.  But when the BB is a 430mm+ armed BB, I'm going to eat a lot of damage because of Overmatch.

I have Vermont, I haven't spammed her use because of so many things requiring me to do different things lately in the game.  The very same problems I deride Minnesota with in past posts is still present in Vermont... But the 457mm x12 makes it worthwhile.  I felt Vermont had "punch" to at least feel satisfied with.  I have lots of Tier X BBs I do better than Vermont with, but 457mm x12 still keeps her relevant to me.  How has it turned out so far?

shot-21-01-05-01-37-13-0568.jpg

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
On 1/7/2021 at 1:00 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

And yet I have a 93K average damage with it which is significantly better than a good majority of the other T9 BB's (I have them all). I even do better in it than Jean Bart which has a much faster reload and is much faster.

You don't like it which is fine but I like it and even in Co-op it is fine.

I'll take any other Tier IX Battleship not named Sovetsky Soyuz (an amazingly dull disappointment of a ship) over MinneSLOWta.

shot-21-01-07-18-26-04-0039.jpg

I'll even take Lion, a BB I despise, over MinneSLOWta.

Ever since I completed my X Vermont grind, I haven't played MinneSLOWta except for Snowflakes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
42 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ever since I completed my X Vermont grind, I haven't played MinneSLOWta except for Snowflakes.

Haven’t even gone past Kansas.

Non-RB UU tasks are gone now; so maybe after I finish cleaning up snowflakes I’ll worry about grinding the line.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
29 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Haven’t even gone past Kansas.

Non-RB UU tasks are gone now; so maybe after I finish cleaning up snowflakes I’ll worry about grinding the line.

I was earlier working on finishing off the Henri IV Legendary mission in December, but I decided, "Forget about it."  Wasn't going to use it anyway.  If I was going to have BB concealment on a Cruiser, then I may as well play a BB.

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I was earlier working on finishing off the Henri IV Legendary mission in December, but I decided, "Forget about it."  Wasn't going to use it anyway.  If I was going to have BB concealment on a Cruiser, then I may as well play a BB.

I finished five.

Des Moines, (early last year, because first Tier 10.) I’ve never used it.

Hindenburg and Montana as first tier recommendations for priority finishing from @AdmiralThunder, Gearing as a second tier recommendation, and GkF, because I had 20k bxp on it from earlier in the year, so it was the only one I could possibly finish when it came down to crunch time in the last few days of December.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

On the subject of Vermont, an example of the goodness the guns can do to Cruisers.  If I had 429mm or smaller AP, at these angles that I hit Des Moines, I'd get a lot of bounces against the hull sides.  30mm armor on DM's hull sides is thick enough that 429mm or smaller AP cannot Overmatch, and have to deal with bounce mechanics.

If I was say, Montana (406mm), Conqueror (419mm), GK (406mm or 420mm), etc. firing their AP, unless I can get a bunch of shells to land on the bow, that DM, in this angle, would have bounced a lot of shells.

shot-21-01-09-13-27-04-0487.jpg

That DM was at Full HP.

But with 457mm AP, you don't care about Cruiser protection schemes nor their angle.  That 30mm armor doesn't mean sh*t.  Mind you, Vermont isn't the only BB in this "really big gun" category.

Republique fast reloading 430mm x8

Thunderer, Georgia, Ohio with fast reloading 457mm x8

Kremlin 457mm x9

Yamato, Musashi at 460mm x9

Shikashima fast reloading 510mm x6

Vermont slow reloading 457mm x12.  The reload sucks, the ship speed sucks, but the sheer amount of 457mm shells she flings makes up for a bunch of issues.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
14,739 posts
31,392 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hit me with more downvotes, you two.

I have 11,110 more points to give up.

There seems to be a case of downvotes going around so I wouldn't be calling others out there bud :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this