Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
megahugenoob

Bourgone - Steel + Future Ships

18 comments in this topic

[JMMAF]
Members
750 posts
9,601 battles

Was curious if anyone who has the Bourgone could answer a few questions.

How is the shell velocity? is it flat like Russians or Floaty like Montana?

Are the shells fickle? I have no problem with Jean Bart shells other than the dispersion is horrid.  

I have watched videos on them and I am really concerned about the penetration vs cruisers. Do you find that you struggle vs bow in cruisers?

Lastly, do we know what future ships are coming?  Its taken me years to accumulate this much steel and I really want to weigh this decision.  I know the FDR is straight OP but I hate carriers and despise what they have done to this game.  This will be my first steel ship.  Is Shikishima better?

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,305 battles

Have a read of this it might answer some of your questions.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[1984]
Members
4,494 posts
22,239 battles
2 hours ago, megahugenoob said:

Are the shells fickle? I have no problem with Jean Bart shells other than the dispersion is horrid.  

I have watched videos on them and I am really concerned about the penetration vs cruisers. Do you find that you struggle vs bow in cruisers?

Lastly, do we know what future ships are coming?  Its taken me years to accumulate this much steel and I really want to weigh this decision.  I know the FDR is straight OP but I hate carriers and despise what they have done to this game.  This will be my first steel ship.  Is Shikishima better?

Totally get your spot, am in a similar spot although not my first steel ship. To me it seems bourgogne boils down to positioning and reload boost. If you can get to a spot where you catch cruisers/bbs broadside you can do mean things to them. If you find yourself head on i guess its your he you better be using unless you’re aiming for turrets...

shiki seems like a yammy but with less guns and better secondaries/aa if you have a yammy not sure its of great value for the steel.

cruiser wise you have plymouth which seems intriguing with smoke and radar, but no he and fragile like a minotaur but without the heal. It seems austin may be steel which will be a tier 10 atlanta with unlimited reload booster...

fdr also has/had me thinking about buying a cv even though i dont play cv and also think they are bad for the game. However i’m not sure i can justify spending that much steel for a ship i will never play...

let us know what you decide after reading mouse’s reviews 

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

[JMMAF]
Members
750 posts
9,601 battles
7 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Totally get your spot, am in a similar spot although not my first steel ship. To me it seems bourgogne boils down to positioning and reload boost. If you can get to a spot where you catch cruisers/bbs broadside you can do mean things to them. If you find yourself head on i guess its your he you better be using unless you’re aiming for turrets...

shiki seems like a yammy but with less guns and better secondaries/aa if you have a yammy not sure its of great value for the steel.

cruiser wise you have plymouth which seems intriguing with smoke and radar, but no he and fragile like a minotaur but without the heal. It seems austin may be steel which will be a tier 10 atlanta with unlimited reload booster...

fdr also has/had me thinking about buying a cv even though i dont play cv and also think they are bad for the game. However i’m not sure i can justify soending that much steel for a ship i will never play...

let us know what you decide after reading mouse’s reviews 

Thanks for the post. Do you know if they historically give warning before removing steel ships?  I may hold off on buying anything until I know what the next round of ships is going to be.  Hopefully they announce that before they pull the old ones?

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles

Own Bourgogne and love Bourgogne. Probably my favorite ship in the game. Using her exlusivley for ranked atm with very much success. 

I love her guns. The velocity seems to be great, in fact I somehow reached out to 20km and killed a kiting DD the other day. For bow in she won't do many favors (not bad, however), but thats not her purpose. No matter what you engage, you have the speed to get set up broadside and cross shots. In ranked I solo set up cross shots, which usually entails me on the 1-2 line going mach 2 with the speed boost mod. The guns work SPECTACULARLY for what they are designed for. Even still, I've done some good damage to bow in cruisers, its just inconsistent. 

3 hours ago, megahugenoob said:

For steel? I believe Austin (10 US CL) was confirmed to be replacing Somers. In the pipeline we have Marco Polo (9 Italy BB) and Vampire 2 (10 Pan EU DD), but neither is confirmed steel, and with Austin they probably wont. There may be some others, all relevant info is on the dev blog.

Bourgogne beats Shiki any day of the week in my opinion. Shiki is a collectors item and a reason to run meme Yamato. Bourgogne is a elegant monster with a whole belt of tools to pull from to make red ships suffer.

1 hour ago, megahugenoob said:

Thanks for the post. Do you know if they historically give warning before removing steel ships?  I may hold off on buying anything until I know what the next round of ships is going to be.  Hopefully they announce that before they pull the old ones?

Yes, plenty of warning is given. Not enough to grind from scratch but enough to allocate funds. I want to say ~3 months on average.

• Cool 2

[CRUEL]
Members
557 posts
11,129 battles

60%+ wr in Borg in ranked. Currently at rank 3 in gold. It is a beast. Of the 3 games I lost yesterday I saved 2 stars. The star I lost I came in 2nd to another Borg on my team. Once you get the feel for her there is no other ship. Randoms are a little more difficult because of the low hp. Shells are like lasers and has 24.8 range. Volume of shells means that if aimed correctly at a bb your going to get at least a hit. I will take on any bb in her. Overmatch from 18+ inch is a thing but if you can get to the sides with her flank speed you can do real damage. Played best like a fat cruiser not a BB.

Edited by Darmokattenagra

0 posts

I'm enjoying Borg quite a lot. Very unique playstyle and very much worth the steel. BB firepower with fast cruiser maneuverability. You can literally zoom around in open water and dodge counterfire while pooping out 12 gun salvos every 24 seconds). You can pull off maneuvers in this thing that no other ship can do. 

It will take some getting used to, but the ship can be so strong.

[1984]
Members
4,494 posts
22,239 battles
6 hours ago, megahugenoob said:

So far they are pulling somers, mouse says it’s meh, but i have a clanmate who’s consistently ranking out in it, plus the sever stats seem inflated but normal because usually only good players have it thusfar...

i seem to remember them announcing flint and neutershummy being pulled ahead of time. A couple of months warning seems to be usual. However i think announcements of new ships come in the devblog relatively close to launch...

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 2

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

image.thumb.png.1dbe666835766f69c3820e666e7ce816.png

This probably explains the issue with Bourg guns. It has much lower penetration than at-tier ships because 380s, so you can't citadel unless very close or very optimal.

[DOG]
Members
1,321 posts
13,955 battles
9 hours ago, megahugenoob said:

I've had Bourgogne for a while, and I like it a lot.  Good secondaries.  Fast (can do something like 39 knots with flag and speed boost) and maneuverable.  The guns perform better than you'd think for 15".  They're pretty accurate, and they get down to a 24 second reload, which drops to 12 seconds with the reload booster.  If the AP isn't getting you the damage numbers you want due to targets angling and bow tanking, the HE is more than adequate, especially inside of 11.3 km, where your secondaries can pile on the fires too.  Main problem is low hit points for a tier X, combined with a "meh" armor scheme.  But you can work around this if you stay at range where you can dodge, and resist the urge to close in to brawling range.  That's my usual downfall.  Every game I tell myself to stay back and snipe, but at some point the urge to close in gets overwhelming.  But sometimes even this works pretty well, if I can use islands to limit my incoming fire to just the ship I'm shooting at, and don't end up getting focus fired by multiple ships.

• Cool 1

[X-PN]
Members
2,110 posts
13,632 battles
21 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

I've had Bourgogne for a while, and I like it a lot.  Good secondaries.  Fast (can do something like 39 knots with flag and speed boost) and maneuverable.  The guns perform better than you'd think for 15".  They're pretty accurate, and they get down to a 24 second reload, which drops to 12 seconds with the reload booster.  If the AP isn't getting you the damage numbers you want due to targets angling and bow tanking, the HE is more than adequate, especially inside of 11.3 km, where your secondaries can pile on the fires too.  Main problem is low hit points for a tier X, combined with a "meh" armor scheme.  But you can work around this if you stay at range where you can dodge, and resist the urge to close in to brawling range.  That's my usual downfall.  Every game I tell myself to stay back and snipe, but at some point the urge to close in gets overwhelming.  But sometimes even this works pretty well, if I can use islands to limit my incoming fire to just the ship I'm shooting at, and don't end up getting focus fired by multiple ships.

I just recently got the bagette BB, and this explanation seems pretty accurate.  I'm normally more of a Cruiser main, but it's battlecruiser play style has me hooked.  Only time I have had trouble is if CV starts to really pick on you... which can happen just like bringing a Stalingrad can make you a shell magnet.  Since the hit pool is sorta low, you have to play a little cruiser like to guard your HP.  But the nice thing is you have the speed to control your engagements against all other BBs (except Georgia of course).  That means you can kite and out DPM what you can't outbrawl and outbrawl what you can't out DPM...for the most part... although some things like a competent Thunder/Conq still take patience to tackle.

[JMMAF]
Members
750 posts
9,601 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

So far they are pulling somers, mouse says it’s meh, but i have a clanmate who’s consistently ranking out in it, plus the sever stats seem inflated but normal because usually only good players have it thusfar...

i seem to remember them announcing flint and neutershummy being pulled ahead of time. A couple of months warning seems to be usual. However i think announcements of new ships come in the devblog relatively close to launch...

Thank you!!

• Cool 1

[JMMAF]
Members
750 posts
9,601 battles
1 hour ago, zubalkabir said:

Great write up!! Thank you!!

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,360 battles

The Bourgogne is a fantastic ship. The HP pool is low, but you can dodge a lot of incoming shots as long as you aren’t in a position to get focused by half the team. 

The 380s AP works really well on broadside targets and the HE fills in for bow tank ships. Pop your reload booster to burn dow targets, rack up cits, or for a quick ammo switch. 

With the Stalin nerf coming, Bourgogne might be the best steel ship. 

[PVE]
Members
14,736 posts
31,368 battles
13 hours ago, megahugenoob said:

Very good ship, no excellent, and worth the Steel.

Imagine Alsace and Jean Bart had a love child and that is Bourgogne.

No, they aren't floaty shells like the US 406MM. They aren't laser guided missiles either. But not hard to hit with at all (IMO).

HE on Bourgogne is really good so if you find your self in a situation where the smaller 380MM guns can't deal with a bow tanking or heavily angled ship just swap to HE. Good alpha and fire chance. I am not a big HE from a BB guy but it is workable and with its quick reload for a BB you can be loaded up with AP again pretty quick.

Took me over 2 years to scrounge the Steel for Bourgogne as I do not play PVP at all let alone Ranked and CB (got my Steel from flake events, dockyards, the daily amount we can earn, SC's, etc...). I hesitated slightly but took the plunge as I had wanted it since it was announced. I don't regret it at all.

No idea what is next as WG keeps that close to the vest and never lets us know until they are about ready to drop. 

• Cool 1

[JMMAF]
Members
750 posts
9,601 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Very good ship, no excellent, and worth the Steel.

Imagine Alsace and Jean Bart had a love child and that is Bourgogne.

No, they aren't floaty shells like the US 406MM. They aren't laser guided missiles either. But not hard to hit with at all (IMO).

HE on Bourgogne is really good so if you find your self in a situation where the smaller 380MM guns can't deal with a bow tanking or heavily angled ship just swap to HE. Good alpha and fire chance. I am not a big HE from a BB guy but it is workable and with its quick reload for a BB you can be loaded up with AP again pretty quick.

Took me over 2 years to scrounge the Steel for Bourgogne as I do not play PVP at all let alone Ranked and CB (got my Steel from flake events, dockyards, the daily amount we can earn, SC's, etc...). I hesitated slightly but took the plunge as I had wanted it since it was announced. I don't regret it at all.

No idea what is next as WG keeps that close to the vest and never lets us know until they are about ready to drop. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Sign in to follow this